Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
For as long as time has existed, there has been football.

And for as long as there has been football, there has been someone trying to figure out how to make spring football a thing.

The closest we ever got was the USFL, which was highly successful until an obscure businessman who thought he knew how to run everything took over and ran it into the ground in record time, for the high high cost of 3 dollars. Fortunately, this ended that businessman's career and no one ever gave him a chance to ruin anything ever again.

In the years since the USFL, we've had other attempts:

The WLAF, arguably the most successful spring league of all time, lasting two entire seasons with the perennial powerhouse the Fire based out of Birmingham Alabama before folding and then being resurrected by the NFL as NFL Europe for twelve goddamn seasons (goddrat i loved barcelona's helmets).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2zCmCNQTRU

The RFL which struggled through a season in 1999, using the "local college kids you loved who didn't get to the NFL are in the RFL!" angle, featuring a team in Mobile Alabama and only one televised game on a local 20 kilowatt religious broadcast channel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWCmXq5ZfrA

The SFL founded by Eric Dickerson and Bo Jackson and featuring a team in Birmingham Alabama, it was doomed from the start as they were forced to reduce themselves to 4 teams and had no television contract
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGJcQWF-IFw

The XFL, easily the most well-known of all the spring leagues, had one of the most successful debuts of all time and despite having a contract with NBC it then died a horrible horrible death, but you've all seen the 30 for 30. The league was brought down pretty hard by the terrible performance of the Bolts, the team based out of Birmingham Alabama
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LuT7b6Vxkw

Well, it looks like the spring league fever is back again and we've got ourselves another contender, featuring 8 teams across the south, including Orlando, San Diego, and Birmingham Alabama.

It's the Alliance to end Hulkamania of American Football

Featuring:

So the AAF is going to play this Spring. They're doing a sort of mixture of "hometown kids get to go pro" and "d-league for the NFL". It's backed by Bill Polian and Charlie Ebersol (yep, the son of Dick Ebersol and the XFL documentary guy), and they've got ol' smiley Hines Ward on the board.

On top of this, the AAF is going to have their season opener broadcast the weekend after the Super Bowl on CBS, then weekly games on the CBS Sports Network, and a championship game again on CBS. They're getting rid of kickoffs, shortening the play clock, and reducing coach challenges in an effort to make the game faster.

Likely the reason they're heading into production this Spring is to get far ahead of the XFL which is supposed to come back in 2020.

So what do they seem to be getting right?

Working on speeding up the game never hurts

Not going head to head with the NFL unlike the failed UFL

Having a television contract with CBS is definitely a good thing (though airing most of the season on the impossible-to-locate CBS Sports Network always feels low-rent)

And what are they getting wrong?

BIRMINGHAM ALABAMA What is the loving obsession with every minor league football experiment trying to get a pro team to play in Birmingham Alabama (sometimes it's Mobile). It has never worked, it will never work. Stop.

Those fuckin logos are all well and good enough, but the consistent feel of the design of each makes it feel sterile and not organic

Trying to start a football league is basically just a bad idea. People always get the idea that we need football in the Spring because there's not currently any football in the Spring; but maybe that's because football is a sport you just don't play in the Spring? Maybe we need the vacation? But on top of that, forcing the creation of something like a sports league when the only successful ones have ever grown just kind of organically and over 100 years ago (WNBA being an exception, but even then only about half of the teams are doing well and there's still a crapload of turnover and folding franchises) seems like trying to reincarnate the Buddha.

I've always been fascinated by minor leagues and I love to watch the magic of their collapse happen. Feel free to use this thread to drop any lols you might find about the AAF around the web or in the news or who knows; maybe this time it'll be different. Maybe the Birmingham Iron will succeed and one day when the Los Angeles Chargers fold the NFL will promote the San Diego Fleet to the AFC West. Maybe we'll get relegation or the NFL will institute the 4th and 15 play instead of a kickoff rule change.

Anything's possible, except probably a second season of AAF.

pathetic little tramp fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Sep 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

My biggest inspiration in design did all the logos, so that's neat.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i seen this in the other thread for it. But i'll allow just one more since it has them logos On it. Don't make any more

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

I like the Stallions logo the best, just as a first impression.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Salt Lake Stallions, bitch

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

calling them the hotshots and putting them in tempe is dumb

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I'll watch this league as much as I watch D-League hockey or AA Baseball.

(only when Michael Jordan is playing)

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Cavauro posted:

i seen this in the other thread for it. But i'll allow just one more since it has them logos On it. Don't make any more

poo poo there was another thread for this? I thought I looked. My bad.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Arizona Hotshots is by far the best name

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Play posted:

Arizona Hotshots is by far the best name
I'm confused by it because it sounds like a cocky name but then it has the fire axes.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I'm confused by it because it sounds like a cocky name but then it has the fire axes.

Hotshots is a term for special teams of professional firefighters who are specialized at fighting forest fires. There was a big budget movie recently about a certain group of hotshots who all died

So I kind of like that the name sounds cool and also has two meanings

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Play posted:

Hotshots is a term for special teams of professional firefighters who are specialized at fighting forest fires. There was a big budget movie recently about a certain group of hotshots who all died

So I kind of like that the name sounds cool and also has two meanings

Wildfires...considering Arizona is in the middle of the desert but yeah. I dig it.

Also, my wife works with a dude who got picked up by Salt Lake so that's cool.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

pathetic little tramp posted:

poo poo there was another thread for this? I thought I looked. My bad.

"I am bad" is the proper phrasing. but you aren't bad and your english is great. Don't worry mate

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
This list of coaches fucken owns

Arizona Hotshots - Rick Neuheisel
Atlanta Legends - Brad Childress
Birmingham Iron - Tim Lewis
Memphis Express - Mike Singletary
Orlando Apollos - Steve Spurrier
Salt Lake Stallions - Dennis Erickson
San Antonio Commanders - Mike Riley
San Diego Fleet - Mike Martz

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

DariusLikewise posted:

:stonklol: That is actually pretty impressive.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

okay gently caress what i said lets go Orlando motherfuckers

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
gently caress it, I closed my earlier thread.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

DariusLikewise posted:

Incredible.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

:stonklol: That is actually pretty impressive.

Yeah, I'm legit kinda shocked they pulled such big names. Good for them.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

San Diego is my team, look at the full coaching staff

Mike Martz
Jon Kitna
Larry Marmie
Jackie Slater
T.J. Houshmandzadeh
Dre Bly
Vince Amey
Larry MacDuff
Matt Kitna

Michael Vick is the offensive coordinator for Atlanta as well

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

this league owns???????

i can't wait to see the jersey concepts

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

DariusLikewise posted:

San Diego is my team, look at the full coaching staff

Mike Martz
Jon Kitna
Larry Marmie
Jackie Slater
T.J. Houshmandzadeh
Dre Bly
Vince Amey
Larry MacDuff
Matt Kitna

Michael Vick is the offensive coordinator for Atlanta as well

Hell yeah brother

Dre Bly, there's a name I haven't thought of in years

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
Sounds vaguely interesting. Hopefully it's not a complete train-wreck.
And the Stallions have the coolest logo. Too bad they're coached by Dennis Erickson.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
Memphis has the shittiest logo but by far the most entertaining coach so I gotta throw my support behind em.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Which one of these teams sign Johnny Manziel

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I just realized this wasn't the new XFL

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Birmingham has the highest football viewership per capita in the world and is a reasonably large media market hth

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Raku posted:

Birmingham has the highest football viewership per capita in the world and is a reasonably large media market hth

on the other hand, the team has to play in Legion Field

Big Jay Cutler
Sep 2, 2011

IT'S ME
At this point I’ll buy a Birmingham hat just because I like chaos and the death of leagues

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Alaois posted:

on the other hand, the team has to play in Legion Field

For like two years until UAB's stadium is built

(this league won't last two years obviously)

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

The problem with Birmingham is Alabama fans. This is a general truth but it applies specifically to professional football leagues.

Any football that is not Alabama Football is tolerated at best. Any football that dares to challenge Alabama Football supremacy is heresy and must be burned on a YellaWoodtm stake. Every league looks at the Alabama numbers and thinks "they will support us the same way," and they are wrong. No league's lasted long enough to get through the wall of indifference/hostility to anything Not Alabama Football to build a local fanbase. In a world where day 1 profitability is all but required, I don't expect this league to be willing to lose money long enough for Alabama fans to warm to the product. I kind of hope I'm wrong, though, because this seems like it's got good ideas behind it.

That's my theory, Paul, I'll hang up and listen.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Athanatos posted:

Which one of these teams sign Johnny Manziel

Johnny Manziel's CFL Career Stats

3 Games, 45/71, 484 yards, 0 TDs and 5 INTs

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

DariusLikewise posted:

Johnny Manziel's CFL Career Stats

3 Games, 45/71, 484 yards, 0 TDs and 5 INTs
I thought someone posted a gif of him throwing to a single-read out route for a TD a while back?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

I thought someone posted a gif of him throwing to a single-read out route for a TD a while back?

That was pre-season

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide

Tricky Ed posted:

The problem with Birmingham is Alabama fans. This is a general truth but it applies specifically to professional football leagues.

Any football that is not Alabama Football is tolerated at best. Any football that dares to challenge Alabama Football supremacy is heresy and must be burned on a YellaWoodtm stake. Every league looks at the Alabama numbers and thinks "they will support us the same way," and they are wrong. No league's lasted long enough to get through the wall of indifference/hostility to anything Not Alabama Football to build a local fanbase. In a world where day 1 profitability is all but required, I don't expect this league to be willing to lose money long enough for Alabama fans to warm to the product. I kind of hope I'm wrong, though, because this seems like it's got good ideas behind it.

That's my theory, Paul, I'll hang up and listen.

This is why they're signing bama NFL washouts

Honestly the real problem these leagues face is you need an actual good way to get viewers and the ability to run in the red for a few years while people warm up to it. I think the league that succeeds would have to get something unique like "every game is live on Netflix" or something

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

kidcoelacanth posted:

My biggest inspiration in design did all the logos, so that's neat.

The brothers Chaps?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

The brothers Chaps?

Fraser Davidson, unless I'm misreading the info I can find. Seems his style.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

kidcoelacanth posted:

Fraser Davidson, unless I'm misreading the info I can find. Seems his style.

I am disappointed that you didn't get that joke.

Anorexic Robot
Nov 11, 2012
If portland gets a team Im in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
The teams are all decided unfortunately