Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

in loving awe at "Dalton Sturm"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Don't overlook Peter Pujals and Austin Appleby.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

nevermind, Dalton Sturm has bad QB face, hype canceled

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

I'm cheering for the Apollos because I can't wait to see Kelvin Benjamin playing with them in 2 years.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

I think I may have paid Dalton Sturm $15 to mow my lawn this summer.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I just had a revelation

AAF markets:

Atlanta
Birmingham
Orlando
Memphis
Phoenix
Salt Lake City
San Antonio
San Diego

XFL markets:

Dallas
Houston
Los Angeles
New York
Seattle
St. Louis
Tampa Bay
Washington DC

...they're going to loving merge, aren't they?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Hyped for the 2021 Alliance of XTREME Football

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mega64 posted:

Hyped for the 2021 Alliance of XTREME Football

NBC's rights to NFL games run out in 2022

NBC has forever-ties to the Ebersol family

I wonder if Vince has sold FOX on airing football games yet as part of his Smackdown deal

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

EugeneJ posted:

I just had a revelation

AAF markets:

Atlanta
Birmingham
Orlando
Memphis
Phoenix
Salt Lake City
San Antonio
San Diego

XFL markets:

Dallas
Houston
Los Angeles
New York
Seattle
St. Louis
Tampa Bay
Washington DC

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

EugeneJ posted:

I just had a revelation

AAF markets:

Atlanta
Birmingham
Orlando
Memphis
Phoenix
Salt Lake City
San Antonio
San Diego

XFL markets:

Dallas
Houston
Los Angeles
New York
Seattle
St. Louis
Tampa Bay
Washington DC

I'm also surprised that they picked Seattle over Portland, since Portland has zero football.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Peachfart posted:

I'm also surprised that they picked Seattle over Portland, since Portland has zero football.

Portland citizens are but a brisk 90 minute drive to beautiful Corvallis, OR for Oregon State football held in the only stadium to be named after a potato salad magnate.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I missed the beautiful OP which failed to mention the CFL expansion to the US which lasted one year before collapsing in failure. Notable teams include Baltimore, Shreveport, and the MOTHERFUCKING BIRMINGHAM BARRACUDAS, of which I was a season ticket holder.

(Note- Birmingham, AL is a four hour drive from the nearest body of salt water, and about 12 hours of drive time from any place with a change of actually catching barracudas)

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

legion field hungers for teams

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The CFL USA experiment lasted two years, actually.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Edward Mass posted:

The CFL USA experiment lasted two years, actually.

Birmingham lasted for one year, and that is the particle by which they measure.

(And actually it was for three years.)

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
It's interesting that they allow any player to get out of their contract immediately if they get picked up by the NFL.

I'll watch this because gently caress it, it's still football.

Hako
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
So the closest Midwest team is the Memphis Express? RIP this league.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
https://twitter.com/TheAAF/status/1082638256762630144?s=19

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
A hype video for a football.

Ok then

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Perusing the San Antonio roster, I'm not sure if the regional player rights thing is a good idea or a bad idea. It's cool to have players you recognize from college, but it's also a bummer to realize that this is what's become of them.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

What's the PSI on that bad boy?

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
This_is_fine.jpeg

https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/1083526784317116417?s=19

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

quote:

Update: Michael Vick remains with AAF team

Contrary to a report, Michael Vick remains with the Atlanta Legends of the Alliance of American Football.

Football Scoop, via Jeff Schultz of The Athletic, reported that Vick was leaving the team. Schultz later tweeted a correction, via the Legends’ director of team communications, that Vick has not quit and remains with the team in training camp in San Antonio, Texas.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
This has been quite the emotional rollercoaster.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

General Dog posted:

Perusing the San Antonio roster, I'm not sure if the regional player rights thing is a good idea or a bad idea. It's cool to have players you recognize from college, but it's also a bummer to realize that this is what's become of them.

I think it's cool that they're actually getting an opportunity to play professional football. It's not sad at all

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Play posted:

I think it's cool that they're actually getting an opportunity to play professional football. It's not sad at all

I guess it just depends on what the league ends up looking like as a whole. If it's a stable, entertaining enterprise then that's great. If it's a bunch of fifth-rate, fly-by-night horseshit, and that's the last time you ever see those players, then it's kind of a bummer, although I'm sure they're happy to be playing and getting a paycheck regardless.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
It's already looking like it's going to be miles better than the XFL, at least.

Still doubt it lasts more than a couple seasons but I hope I'm wrong. I think there's definitely room for more than one pro football league in the US - maybe not more than one NFL-sized league, but a smaller league should totally be able to sustain itself, so long as the football is good. The NFL's monopoly on broadcast TV is mattering less and less every year since fewer people are watching television anyway; I watch almost all of my sports streamed these days and I know there's a lot of people out there doing the same thing.

There are only so many spots in the NFL and CFL, and lots of good, solid football players who never get an opportunity to actually play at the professional level. Sure, they're not as good as the guys starting in the NFL, but I think there's enough potential players who are good enough to produce entertaining football. Whether or not they actually do remains to be seen, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

I also watch the NBA G-League, though, so I may have lower standards than the average viewer

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

2019 AAF game Schedule

https://aaf.com/2019-season-schedule/

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Well I guess they think highly on their pricing of tickets.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
This won’t survive 3 full season. No real ties. People are stupid and scared of new stuff

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i can't speak to anywhere else but games at 5pm in arizona in april sound brutal. looking at last year it was around 90-100 for most of the month. i guess they don't care about maximizing tv coverage when they only show one game a week but a 10pm slot would have made a lot of sense

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I have Fleet season tickets

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Amy Pole Her posted:

This won’t survive 3 full season. No real ties. People are stupid and scared of new stuff

You're almost definitely right, which is really too bad.

Honestly, I won't be able to support the venture either. I don't have cable. Does anyone know what the TV arrangements are?

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Play posted:

Honestly, I won't be able to support the venture either. I don't have cable. Does anyone know what the TV arrangements are?

The AAF's 10-week, 40-game regular season slate will begin Saturday, Feb. 9, at 8 p.m. ET from Spectrum Stadium in Florida, where the Orlando Apollos will host the Atlanta Legends; and from The Alamodome in Texas, where the San Antonio Commanders will host the San Diego Fleet. CBS is scheduled to broadcast the AAF's Feb. 9 Opening Day, while CBS Sports Network will then carry one AAF game each week throughout the season.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
E: what he said^^^

Play posted:

I expect it to be like NBC's NHL coverage, with a few marquee games on the network proper, but most of it relegated to CBSSN.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Play posted:

I’m buying tickets to orlando. I’m gonna try, but I just have zero faith in the average person

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
CBS Sports is such a pain to stream, too, they may as well not be televised at all. I think the only way you can get it is through CBS's in-house streaming service.

Say what you will about ESPN, but if I really want to (and oh boy do I want to) I can go on ESPN+ and pull up any random FCS football game or D-League basketball game with the click of a mouse, even if it's taking place in a rented convention center and has 25 people in the audience. I can watch my city's lovely minor league soccer team's away games on TV as easily as watching MLS or the Premier League. It's got me watching teams, and sports, that I never would have watched before, because they were either completely unavailable or too inconvenient to access. If I can easily access this, I'll watch the poo poo out of it. I love the idea of spring football, and I think there's room for another pro football league in the US; besides, anything which gives me more football to watch is good in my book.

I'm not about to sign up for an entire streaming service just to watch one thing, though, and I'm sure as gently caress not getting cable.

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jan 19, 2019

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Well, then, continue to only watch the stuff they can't be bothered to put on actual TV.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
That's the thing, though, I can also watch all the stuff that gets broadcast on regular TV, too...except for CBS Sports, which isn't on any of the streaming services except CBS All Access. NBC, Fox, ESPN, they're all super widely available, CBS Sports isn't.

e: nevermind, looks like it was just added to one I am conveniently already subscribed to, looks like I can watch it after all :downs:

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jan 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Well cripes, was hoping this was on the Ocho.