Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Mister Bates posted:

CBS Sports is such a pain to stream, too, they may as well not be televised at all. I think the only way you can get it is through CBS's in-house streaming service.

Mister Bates posted:

e: nevermind, looks like it was just added to one I am conveniently already subscribed to, looks like I can watch it after all :downs:

For the record, CBS Sports Network is on the following streaming services:

Hulu with Live TV
Youtube TV
Fubo TV
PlayStation Vue
DirecTV NOW ("Go Big" or larger channel bundles)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast
Yeah i was gonna say, its on ps vue for sure because I've watched it on there. The question is will i keep ps vue just watch aaf? I kinda doubt it.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
It's not on Sling and wasn't on many of the others until fairly recently, although it looks like they've significantly expanded their reach lately which is good.

Any word on how they'll be doing TV coverage - who the announcers will be, that sort of thing?

Also, since it looks like they're only televising one game a week, I wonder what viewing options they'll have for the other game.

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

They're supposed to have an app that will stream all the games no matter who you're subscribed to, if I recall correctly/ if it hasn't changed since they announced it.

Edit: To the OP's general point, I attended games for each of the Birmingham Stallions of the USFL, the Birmingham Fire of WLAF, and the Birmingham Barracudas of the CFL. Out of an abundance of caution, I will not attend a Birmingham Iron game, to ensure the success of the new league.

Wylie fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jan 20, 2019

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Hmmm, I'm going to be in Tuscaloosa Feb 9th. I can probably stay an extra night and catch the BIRMINGHAM IRON INAUGURAL GAME on the 10th just to tell my grandkids I was there

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

a neat cape posted:

I have Fleet season tickets

https://twitter.com/AAFFleet/status/1088503866541383681

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
I appreciate that their helmets look like those nitro boost areas in Mario Kart.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

a neat cape posted:

I have Fleet season tickets

how much were they out of curiosity

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Play posted:

how much were they out of curiosity

75 bucks for 5 games

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

They're selling a pair of 50-yard-line seats to a home Birmingham Iron game of your choice at our local Costco for 99 bucks.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Wylie posted:

They're selling a pair of 50-yard-line seats to a home Birmingham Iron game of your choice at our local Costco for 99 bucks.

Anybody going to the first Birmingham home game? I'm in Tuscaloosa for school the day before and plan on driving over.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
I'm out of town for both of the Apollos first home games, but I might make the Arizona game.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

I'm weirdly pumped for this. I have no idea how it will do but I feel they have some benefits that the other attempts at spring football didn't have.

- they have the history of all the collective failures and have a pretty good idea on what not to do

- TV contract

- this is happening in the day of social media and streaming where they have a good shot at finding an audience in new and interesting ways. The marketing has been pretty drat good so far

- they're doing things to speed up the game and make them more exciting that isn't gimmicky poo poo (getting rid of kickoffs, no extra points, speeding up game clock, no TV timeouts, etc). Also they're not changing the way the game is played otherwise (compared to the XFL who is changing rules about fair catches,

- actual big NFL names are involved in the coaching ranks and front offices

This will be the best test of "do people actually want spring football or not" because they're doing everything right. If it's a complete dud, then the XFL will also easily be one.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I thought their onside 'kick' rule was interesting.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

nah posted:

I'm weirdly pumped for this. I have no idea how it will do

what does your heart tell you

nah
Mar 16, 2009

It will supplant the NFL by 2021, the Super Bowl won't be televised by 2023

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

By 2025 the AAF and XFL will merge.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I think the AAF should hope that if there is a deficiency opening day, it's on the defensive side. Optimally it would be almost like college scoring, but with teams that are more even. I can't imagine people enjoying a defensive slugfest with third tier players. Get the scoring up and people will watch, I think

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Colostomy Bag posted:

I thought their onside 'kick' rule was interesting.

What's the normal NFL conversion rate on 3rd/4th and 10? Seems like it would be a lot higher than the recovery rate for onside kicks, but I could be wrong.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

General Dog posted:

What's the normal NFL conversion rate on 3rd/4th and 10? Seems like it would be a lot higher than the recovery rate for onside kicks, but I could be wrong.

Well this year the onside kick % went down the dumper to what %8 or so? What I find interesting is the risk. Don't make it...ball is on your own 35. So...who knows, may be abused, may be exploited by good teams that can convert on 4th down, etc.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
I think a higher % chance to get the ball back would be cool.

This is 3rd down, but lets say going for it on 4th down will give similar results, 24% chance to get the ball back after you score.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
https://twitter.com/TheAAF/status/1089596407722528768

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
But do they know what obvious PI looks like?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

But do they know what obvious PI looks like?

Does anyone?

nah
Mar 16, 2009

The NFL Network will be airing two AAF games a week and TNT will air a game late in the season that leads into the NBA All-Star game and also a playoff game.

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Morning-Buzz/2019/01/31/AAF.aspx

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
B/R Live will also carry one game per week, so there’s one less game per week I’ll have an opportunity to watch.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Where my die hard Apollos fans at #TakeAim

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
NFLN airing 19 games total.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Hopefully there are some streams. Maybe I should start a new reddit forum

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Since this league is affiliated with the NFL, I wonder if the fact that kickoffs and PATs are eliminated and they have a modified version of the Schiano rule in place is a way of testing it out in a lower league

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

wandler20 posted:

NFLN airing 19 games total.

AAF has lined up a broadcast partner for every game:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

A live primetime game every Saturday and Sunday night on NFL Network. That's actually pretty good.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

a neat cape posted:

Since this league is affiliated with the NFL, I wonder if the fact that kickoffs and PATs are eliminated and they have a modified version of the Schiano rule in place is a way of testing it out in a lower league

NFL wasn't above stealing poo poo from the XFL with no affiliation. Using the AAF as a test league is a great idea.

We should do a Meet the Team thread that we can laugh at later when the league folds.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

So how do the PAT's work? A touchdown is worth 7 points, and a failed conversion is worth -1?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

The AAF seems to be going about this in a... surprisingly competent way. Considering what dumpsters all other spring leagues have been.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast

Docjowles posted:

The AAF seems to be going about this in a... surprisingly competent way. Considering what dumpsters all other spring leagues have been.

Yeah I'm sure they will figure out some way to blow this, but everything seems.... Good? So far

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

Yeah I'm sure they will figure out some way to blow this, but everything seems.... Good? So far

Putting teams specifically in markets without NFL teams (atlanta excluded) and seeming to focus a lot on the southern part of the country seems like a really good move.

That and they've basically come out and said they aren't trying to compete with the NFL.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

who will be the worst team

I want that to be my team

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Ehud posted:

who will be the worst team

I want that to be my team

A team is starting Christian Hackenberg