Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What other dead Sega franchise should be brought back?
Skies of Arcadia
Samba de Amigo
NiGHTS
Sakura Wars - wait, they actually are making a new one of those?
View Results

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?
I honestly wouldn't fancy trying to do the second mission of the Captainless Squad DLC without some kind of Scout/Direct Command shenanigans.

Crymaria's gently caress you overwatch zone covers about a third of the map, I didn't try shooting her but they say you shouldn't, your sniper for this mission is Neige who seemed to trigger her stage fright potential every loving activation, and there's very little room to move.

That said that DLC was absolutely the best thing, especially the final mission you unlock for finding all the aces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Yeah, shooting that one doesn't do anything.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
My experience is that you can still scout rush, you can get by just fine with taking a more balanced approach. Outside of the first and third battle of sigvald or whatever I never felt like taking a more thorough approach was actually punished.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Really Pants posted:

Yeah, shooting that one doesn't do anything.

It makes her face the direction of the shooter. Really useful is shes watching the objective. Just make sure the person turning her has some cover/a line of sight blocker to duck back into after the attack because her interception fire has a much longer range than her counter attack.1

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

All I did was drag Hanna south with Asuza so she could kill the tank and stay under the roof. Crymaria spent every single turn trying to kill Hanna making the whole fight easier.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Mokinokaro posted:

It doesn't work in every mission bit it's definitely still there.

I do find shocktroopers more useful than scouts generally now though.

Yeah shocktroopers inside the Cactus largely replaced the scout rush for me. Shocktroopers run faster, much more durable, can multikill at close range, and in this game have AP that at least is somewhat close to scouts.

In maps where you had to split your forces two ways I'd usually use a command scout on one side, but that was about it. They would theoretically be great at spotting for your mortars, but your mortars can't hit poo poo defensively for some reason.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A SHOCKTROOPER INTO THE SLOT. ITS RYAN AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, RYAN. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME IMPERIAL BASTARDS OR EVEN WHEN I MISS THE SHOT. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY ESCAPED THE IMPERIALS MOST DANGEROUS DETACHMENT. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY SQUAD AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN SQUADS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JEKRS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNIng

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

What the gently caress did you just loving say about me, you little bitch? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Edinburgh Ranger Corps, and I've been involved in Operation Cygnus, and I have four beneficial potentials. I am trained in direct commands and I'm the top sniper in the entire Federation armed forces.

Boofy
Sep 11, 2001

i don't think i ever used ronald's light tank except on the missions that required it. sorry fella but the APC's just too good.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Boofy posted:

i don't think i ever used ronald's light tank except on the missions that required it. sorry fella but the APC's just too good.

Dan the man.
It doesn't help that claude's tank is such a monster and force deployed half the time.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I found the light tank useful for the capital and the defend the base skirmish mission.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
The vehicles in this game just make me miss my flamethrower APC from VC2.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I never actually used the APC, it felt like I was using to many CP to shuffle when I could just do direct stuff.

Ronnie was used in gatling and thrown down to cover a wide area with interception fire.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The Glory is good on maps like Chapters 13 and 14, where your objectives are fairly close or only accessible on foot but you've got an absolute shitload of tanks and sentry guns in the way.

The things I never found a use for were the alternate turrets.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Nov 5, 2018

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

It was super funny when it got force deployed on a mission where the game expected me to use it to blow up tanks, except I had equipped it with the flamethrower so I had to reinforce a lancer onto the map to finish the map. Still got an A rank though. I'm really glad they loosened up the restrictions on those so you could achieve them playing more naturally.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

FoolyCharged posted:

It was super funny when it got force deployed on a mission where the game expected me to use it to blow up tanks, except I had equipped it with the flamethrower so I had to reinforce a lancer onto the map to finish the map. Still got an A rank though. I'm really glad they loosened up the restrictions on those so you could achieve them playing more naturally.

Relaxing the turn times for A ranks is easily the best change they made to the game.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

FoolyCharged posted:

it took me a turn to realize i could use the anti-armor command on tanks, and then the next turn i had him kill all of them with the machine gun.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Reiterpallasch posted:

if you're specifically talking about Into The Woods (where you don't have a tank), that mission becomes pretty easy when you realize you can clear out the entire east side before taking any moves on the west and still have enough time to a-rank

The trick is to look, really look, at the briefing map. In this mission, for example, there's clearly two or three points labelled 'Fire Support' with arrows pointing from the eastern side to the western side. You're pretty clearly intended to deploy the appropriate units up there and do the appropriate thing.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
I have only played two of the Extreme DLC missions due to being much too busy, but they seem a lot less aggravating than the ones in VC1, which were all complete horseshit especially due to the fact that enemies were all given hacked up weapons with 10x more damage than you can even sustain. There's a bunch of Effect down guns in play (which have always been anti-Player, since the player could never make feasible use of them) but they're all set up remarkably fairly with interesting ways to approach them. The third mission however requires you to not get reduced to 0 HP, find your way out of that Snowy Village with at least one unit, through an intensely hostile map filled with snipers on every tower and poo poo. It's probably going to be paifnul.

The Ace Name is also The Blood Knight so that's pretty hardcore imho.

If you really like playing the game and getting stuff then it's an okay DLC, but as always, the Ace Rewards are continually unfulfilling. I have received two guns that are very marginally better than the best manufactured stuff but they don't look different and I'll never get more so RIP. Can't speak for the last three maps but, really, it's just time consuming. Very time consuming.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Lunethex posted:

The Ace Name is also The Blood Knight so that's pretty hardcore imho.

still no match for The God Of Battle

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
I wish I had Imca in this game. With all this magical girl bullshit flying around all she ever did was load artillery shells into a gun and nuke an entire map.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Marie kind of does that...except she has the shells loaded into a tank gun, and then the tank gets loaded into a bigger gun.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Subvisual Haze posted:

Yeah shocktroopers inside the Cactus largely replaced the scout rush for me. Shocktroopers run faster, much more durable, can multikill at close range, and in this game have AP that at least is somewhat close to scouts.

In maps where you had to split your forces two ways I'd usually use a command scout on one side, but that was about it. They would theoretically be great at spotting for your mortars, but your mortars can't hit poo poo defensively for some reason.

Have you tried to calculate intercepting mortar fire on the fly with 1930's era radio comms? They do pretty drat good for the scenario.

I'm only on chapter 6, so I've been avoiding most of the thread until I finish the game. But, is it just me, or do negative potentials proc waaaaaay more frequently in this game than in 1 or 2?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Potentials like Cynic and Stage Fright will proc loving constantly because of how their triggers work, but in general it always seemed like negative potentials proc less as you level up.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Is there any way to kill this rear end in a top hat train that drives back and forth in middle of the supply depot? Like the radiators are right there but they don't seem to take damage.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Just blow up the parts that are shooting at you.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The squad story for Jimmy Deathflags is the best.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

Have you tried to calculate intercepting mortar fire on the fly with 1930's era radio comms? They do pretty drat good for the scenario.

I'm only on chapter 6, so I've been avoiding most of the thread until I finish the game. But, is it just me, or do negative potentials proc waaaaaay more frequently in this game than in 1 or 2?

I dunno about 2 but this one has a TON more negative traits than 1 so you'll see more just by volume. Good news is most of them can get replaced with a pretty good trait after that character's squad story

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

chumbler posted:

Is there any way to kill this rear end in a top hat train that drives back and forth in middle of the supply depot? Like the radiators are right there but they don't seem to take damage.

If you blow up all 3 guns it gets destroyed and stops dropping off troops. The best way to hit the radiators on top is to have the Hafen be on the ramp to the west so you can fire down onto it, lancers either on a tower or again, up the hill to fire down, mortars or be one of those posters who brags about their super luck in hitting a horizontal target 1 pixel wide from the other side of the map.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
killing all the trains and also getting a high rank the first time would be very difficult. they are very tanky and can take a lot of hits from your weapons at that point in the game. it is also tricky to set up lancer support fire barrages without getting nailed by the machine guns. so, your options are to hit the switches to get rid of the trains, spend a few turns whittling each one down, or just come back later and kill them when you have better weapons.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

All I know is that I emptied those stupid guns hp bars and they kept shooting at me anyways.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I just did that mission today. I got an A on my first go by taking out the mortar cannon and right gatling cannon and using a defense order for the final push to the named tank and last camp.

Each cannon took two shots from Hafen, which was a decent rate, imo. I didn't even try to use lancers on them.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
I completely ignored the switch mechanic. Deployed a skeleton crew in the beginning and rushed as far as you can go with the APC and tank, shot up the train overwatching the middle camp, then deployed infantry there and pushed through the rest of the map on foot. Finished on the last turn for the A-rank, but it could have been sped up by a full turn if you don't feel like killing the enemy ace tank near the end.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

That ace tank is yet another enemy you can Hafen-snipe from the western hill.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
You'll want to take out that ace, iirc he has an AP+ upgrade.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I remember in VC1 there was some weird thing where while you took a turn you constantly took overwatch damage every couple of seconds (iirc it was impossible to not take at least one tick of damage even if you took a turn instantly) from the AI. Meanwhile the AI would take none from you at all because they would do their action so fast they wouldn't even take the initial tick.

Is this still a thing? That seemed fundamentally busted in the first game.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Yes and no. VC4 adds a second of delay between moving and acting, so you definitely won't avoid intercept fire unless you sneak up on everyone. As long as you don't leave any of your troops next to an enemy, though, the AI will probably have to move and take some fire in turn.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Really Pants posted:

Yes and no. VC4 adds a second of delay between moving and acting, so you definitely won't avoid intercept fire unless you sneak up on everyone. As long as you don't leave any of your troops next to an enemy, though, the AI will probably have to move and take some fire in turn.

Yeah, that kind of boned me in the first few missions before I realized they removed the ability to flicker in and out of aim mode to prevent an enemy from intercepting you until you got into position. It also means that enemy elite shocktroopers are an even bigger pain because they'll get 5 shots off by the time you get into aim mode.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

AlternateNu posted:

Yeah, that kind of boned me in the first few missions before I realized they removed the ability to flicker in and out of aim mode to prevent an enemy from intercepting you until you got into position.

This sounds like a painful way to play. You've got a ton of options for outranging shocktroopers or bolstering your defenses as you move in on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Really Pants posted:

This sounds like a painful way to play. You've got a ton of options for outranging shocktroopers or bolstering your defenses as you move in on them.

Always gotta be min-maxing. :getin: