Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What other dead Sega franchise should be brought back?
Skies of Arcadia
Samba de Amigo
NiGHTS
Sakura Wars - wait, they actually are making a new one of those?
View Results

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

waah posted:

Do we have internet outrage over how dare they include a black woman with braids in an anime game yet?

Or am I just overly loving cynical of this 2018 timeline

Probably somewhere, but I don't think anime war has quite the same crowd as a BF or cod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

who is the male feminist, again?

Aladdin.

Also they're busy complaining about the fact you can't spin chicks in skirts in the model viewer to peek up their skirts.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

chaleski posted:

The best non-Kai sniper so far is the One-Punch Man looking guy

this is a really, really low bar

I think everyone else so far has a inaccuracy negative potential and WHY

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Gamerofthegame posted:

I think everyone else so far has a inaccuracy negative potential and WHY
The last potential slot gets overwritten with a good potential when you do that character's side mission.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

waah posted:

Do we have internet outrage over how dare they include a black woman with braids in an anime game yet?

Or am I just overly loving cynical of this 2018 timeline

Most people I've seen are mad at Raz, including one moment where they couldn't remember his name until "guy who grabs the butt" was the description.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Tamba posted:

The last potential slot gets overwritten with a good potential when you do that character's side mission.

Just don't tell people how that's a great idea they took from VC2 and let the haters continue to pretend it doesn't exist.

(I like both VC1 and VC2, for the record)

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
VC2 can get hosed forever with its leveling system and rng mvp rewards

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike
VC2 has Zeri though who is cool and good and my friend. :(

The rest can die in a fire tho

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i like the small, interconnected maps of 2&3 better than the giant maps of 1 and 4. they just work better. some of the subclasses also had various good points, though others were completely unusable.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
The instant deployment of 2 and 3 was quite fun. The main thing from VC2 I want to see tried again is the multiplayer. That would be fun, in either PvE or PvP mission form.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
if the ai played like the player did then this game would be awful to play

so i can't imagine ever playing this game pvp

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I like that after doing a flash back map Minerva shows up to give you some stuff from HQ. "You really impressed HQ with your reminiscing"

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I kinda felt like something something was missing between the end of the demo and the interlude, because Riley goes from running off into the woods in the dark due to trauma to calmly asking Miles about Claude and Raz in the middle of the day.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

chumbler posted:

I kinda felt like something something was missing between the end of the demo and the interlude, because Riley goes from running off into the woods in the dark due to trauma to calmly asking Miles about Claude and Raz in the middle of the day.

I felt the exact same way. It felt like the writers had a scene written up that dealt with the aftermath of that and it somehow ended up forgotten

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

Leal posted:

Man, did the first Siegval Line battle. Place is stuffed with pillboxes and tanks, and they expect you to finish this in 5 turns (maybe even less, I did it in 7 and got a D rank)?

I feel like I'm missing something here. Got to the place where the Assault tanks magically appear and they are wrecking the Hafen. I'm talking one-shotting the drat thing from the front. I've got max upgrades on all my poo poo, and my soldiers are about lvl. 5-7.

Meanwhile my own guys are missing the giant shiny blue buttons from kicking distance. I feel like I'm playing an even more hateful version of X-Com rng. Am I supposed to scout/Gator rush the target or what?

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

Kaincypher posted:

I feel like I'm missing something here. Got to the place where the Assault tanks magically appear and they are wrecking the Hafen. I'm talking one-shotting the drat thing from the front. I've got max upgrades on all my poo poo, and my soldiers are about lvl. 5-7.

Meanwhile my own guys are missing the giant shiny blue buttons from kicking distance. I feel like I'm playing an even more hateful version of X-Com rng. Am I supposed to scout/Gator rush the target or what?

You rarely want to kill dudes unless they are extremely dangerous on your way to the enemy base (enemy snipers if they have time to take a turn/shot, tanks that are rushing you, etc.). I just loaded up my dudes in the APC and drove through the right side on the second turn. (stopping before triggering the tanks on the first turn).

You can duke it out with the enemy but VC doesn't really reward you for that, it's one of the weakest points of the game design. The only rewards you really get for killing stuff are special weapons from ace enemies, but they tend to be pretty gimmicky and not worth using anyways.

Also, don't forget to use your orders, defense boost is a lifesaver if you need to run through heavy fire.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

You can deal with enemies handily and still get A-ranks across the board. Everyone but the sluggish mortar/lancer duo has enough AP to still shuffle around while occasionally stopping to shoot something.

You don't need to clear the map, no, but you don't need to rush by enemies at all.

Kaincypher posted:

You get friends, take to the field and charge. AT-guns hurt but aren't be all end all, but I think there are enough canisters around to deal with the far away ones, too. At start send a unit or two to clear off the left hill, push the tank and an engie friend down the middle and stuff the APC with a party team down the right after using Riley or whoever to take out the canisters on the first overwatch bunkers. Spawn a sniper on the left camp then next turn snipe off the various canisters. The tanks will have spawned with the APC push but in my case they fruitlessly tried shooting it, but afterwards your tanks will spawn and it's a matter of cleaning up the center of tanks and gatlings so you can push your shocktrooper of choice in.

Should be a pretty do-able two or three turn stint, with most of the map clear.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
jimmy, the death flag that walks like a man

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
One of my Engineers has a trait that increases his "anti tank attack power". Am I missing something with this? Does it increase the pitiful damage he deals throwing a nade at radiators?

E: Do tank repair kits work like in Battlefield games where they can damage enemy tanks? Don't see a tutorial mentioning this and I'd rather not do some field testing.

Leal fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 28, 2018

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

wow they give you a poo poo load of stuff all at once

here, have your goku-scout, a ~third~ tank, a ~~battleship~~, the third tier for all weapons unlocked and a pony. have fun! edit: and two more leaders for maximum cp ofc rip my wallet

edit:

Elite classes come in at level 11, as usual. Engineers and Grenadiers don't get anything beyond the stat dump, but scouts get the trusty rifle grenade, troopers the less trusty flamethrower, lancers the lmaoworthy mortar-lance and snipers get interception fire, which is actually pretty good on the three shot rifle series.

which means you can just completely ignore lancers I guess

Gamerofthegame fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Sep 29, 2018

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Man, I thought I was doing well in Chapter 6. I assumed defend for 4 turns after capturing all the bases meant ending on the fifth turn would be okay but nope, B rank. I'll just come back once everyone are Elites I suppose and be super agressive. I suppose since I constantly forget to equip the soecial weapons to people it doesn't matter too much, but still. Also, the Victory music being different depending on your rank sucks, instant negative feedback.

Speaking of, in VC1 I remember almost all enemy weapons sucking. Are there any at all that are decent I should go out of my way to get? I think the Imperial Flamethrowers were better then the Gallian ones in VC1, as an example.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Story mission Siegval Line 1 is kicking my rear end, there's so many pillboxes and tank-exploding stuff and I love it. Help please :(

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

pichupal posted:

Speaking of, in VC1 I remember almost all enemy weapons sucking. Are there any at all that are decent I should go out of my way to get? I think the Imperial Flamethrowers were better then the Gallian ones in VC1, as an example.

So far it feels like all the Imperial weapons are butts. Sure they do a bunch of damage but their accuracy is poo poo, and you want that accuracy to nail headshots.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

oh i got to the point in the anything-after-VC1 where they add bosses that just always evade so you kinda save scum until they don't double move and one shot you.

im

glad

pichupal posted:

Eh. The Imperial ones that hurt more are technically better for interception for any strategies that revolve around that, but otherwise the mortars (the grenadier kind) can have different debuffs. Like taking their AP, for interception fire purposes. Other then that, though...

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

OgretailFood posted:

Story mission Siegval Line 1 is kicking my rear end, there's so many pillboxes and tank-exploding stuff and I love it. Help please :(

there are a bunch of pillboxes with accessible ragnite containers next to them. those can be sniped. also, you can change the camera to an overhead view for mortars, which is all but required for targeting and allows you to hit some ragnite boxes that you've never actually spotted. mortars are also an excellent way to kill at and gatling turrets. another option is to just pop them with your tank. early on your tank cannon is kind of garbage at precise aiming despite the supposed long range, which means it isn't much good for hitting radiators in the distance. but for turrets, you don't have to aim for any weak points, and if you are in range for them to shoot at your tank you are probably in range to have very good accuracy.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Regarding switch performance, I've played up to the start of chapter 6 and the only thing I've noticed is some occasional (undocked-only) slowdown during shooting animations if there's a bunch of people shooting at once from the team-up mechanic, but other than that it runs great for me.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

pichupal posted:

Man, I thought I was doing well in Chapter 6. I assumed defend for 4 turns after capturing all the bases meant ending on the fifth turn would be okay but nope, B rank. I'll just come back once everyone are Elites I suppose and be super agressive. I suppose since I constantly forget to equip the soecial weapons to people it doesn't matter too much, but still. Also, the Victory music being different depending on your rank sucks, instant negative feedback.

Yeah, you gotta kill the tank, since it stops the reinforcments then killing everything on the map ends it.

It has a pretty pre-determined path of what it does so you can just park the Hafen + grenadiers close by to snipe the radiator (you might need to save scum a bit since the accuracy on the tank gun and mortars isn't great).

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Gamerofthegame posted:

oh i got to the point in the anything-after-VC1 where they add bosses that just always evade so you kinda save scum until they don't double move and one shot you.

im

glad

Let me guess, the 2 chicks with crossbows? They resulted in my post in the dragging things down thread. The only real winning option with them was to just intercept fire them, because they seem to have some ability to where, not only do they dodge all the time (INCLUDING MORTARS), but their retaliation fire *always* hit a headshot and for some reason those always one shot, despite them doing weak damage when they attack with them normally.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Leal posted:

Let me guess, the 2 chicks with crossbows? They resulted in my post in the dragging things down thread. The only real winning option with them was to just intercept fire them, because they seem to have some ability to where, not only do they dodge all the time (INCLUDING MORTARS), but their retaliation fire *always* hit a headshot and for some reason those always one shot, despite them doing weak damage when they attack with them normally.

y e p.

That said, I figured it out. They're fake scouts (and probably all on-foot bosses are) and they have a vision cone of 270 degrees around them, not 360. They also fire pretty slowly ofc and don't actually hurt too much on intercept fire, so just squirrel someone on one side (preferably sneaking up), attack, then hit the other side with someone else. This is true for all dodgy enemies like aces, really, though only bosses make it semi-mandatory.

Which is the usual way of defeating bosses, really. Still a super obnoxious forty minutes until I figured something out.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
It can also help to shoot them in the feet. They'll dodge straight into your bullets.

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

there are a bunch of pillboxes with accessible ragnite containers next to them. those can be sniped. also, you can change the camera to an overhead view for mortars, which is all but required for targeting and allows you to hit some ragnite boxes that you've never actually spotted. mortars are also an excellent way to kill at and gatling turrets. another option is to just pop them with your tank. early on your tank cannon is kind of garbage at precise aiming despite the supposed long range, which means it isn't much good for hitting radiators in the distance. but for turrets, you don't have to aim for any weak points, and if you are in range for them to shoot at your tank you are probably in range to have very good accuracy.

finally beat it.

First rule: Save-scum between rounds. This can mean the difference between 3 wasted Lancer rounds and 2 dead assault tanks.

Second: By this time you know when and where the assault tanks spawn. Have some Lancers ready to go in position, preferably with an engineer to re-arm. Or face them at the beginning of the round when you get the backup fed tanks. I flat out ignored the pillboxes that weren't improvised or lacked the ragnite tanks nearby. They were mostly gatling, so I used tanks/cactus to run interference.

Third: Snipers. Snipe the poo poo out of the enemy grenadiers. then use the tanks or Cactus to run your infantry past the gatling bunkers/emplacements. Everyone else is a standard scout/lancer/shock and you already know how to kill them.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I took that chapter slow the first time because I thought there might be a reward for keeping all the reinforcement tanks alive. Got a C rank for 6 turns and was annoyed, then did it again in 2 by taking out all the AT interception guns then having the APC face tank it's way through the interception fire and delivering a shocktrooper to the flag.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Tamba posted:

Speaking of that, anyone have any idea who Vancey's mission pals are? I want to use her because the idea of having a plastered senior officer is hilarious, but Hammered is very hard to use

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
You can cheese the crossbow chicks by running them over with the tank to make them face the wrong way, so you can get a surprise attack. 3 shot burst sniper rifles kill them in one hit if all shots connect on the head. Works well on enemy aces too, but they're often tucked someplace where your tank can't reach.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Jade Mage posted:

Speaking of that, anyone have any idea who Vancey's mission pals are? I want to use her because the idea of having a plastered senior officer is hilarious, but Hammered is very hard to use

Quick look on the internet says Zaiga, and the person you recruit by having 1 mil DCT on hand (Gertrude? Don't have her yet). I saw a quick video and I think the map it uses is Siegfal 3 so it's really just money gated.

Also answering my own Enemy Ace question, Chapter 7-2 has an enemy tank that drops +80 AP on a 2x2 square for the Cactus. Not outstanding, but the most useful so far, and will probably make up for everytime I crash into a corner and other driving screwups.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Hyper Inferno posted:

I took that chapter slow the first time because I thought there might be a reward for keeping all the reinforcement tanks alive. Got a C rank for 6 turns and was annoyed, then did it again in 2 by taking out all the AT interception guns then having the APC face tank it's way through the interception fire and delivering a shocktrooper to the flag.

You only will get a special reward for taking out enemy aces and getting a high rank. Killing tanks and leaders and "stationary guns" do award you with money and experience, so if you have the time...

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

This is a protip. Also sniping grenadiers. Thank you!

https://twitter.com/OgretailFood/status/1046037333336719360

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Ryan's squad quest is pretty :unsmith:

Also it turns him in a beast. The potential to refill my ap after killing a man? Why that'll be great!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i liked the theresa/jester/connor story, because it revealed an important fact: connor is just the worst. he makes an impoverished and debt-ridden compulsive gambler look like a resounding success at life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
Does this one have a fight with a gigantic anime tank and super powered anime girl? :mad: I was liking the first one up until the point of that fight, then I died and died and died. Eventually I won but got burned out.