Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

excited to test out Dark Mode!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
before the iphone blew up this would get like 15 minutes of demos in the next keynote

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
congratulations to the developers of the spreadsheet program worse than libreoffice

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

You can't even invert the colors of the spreadsheet itself, boo

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

does it pivot?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

did they come up with any good new numbers

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

hifi posted:

did they come up with any good new numbers

172,512,043,099,158.005829482. that's a new one for 2018

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Sagebrush posted:

172,512,043,099,158.005829482. that's a new one for 2018

typical apple wasting time adding new numbers instead of improving the ones we have

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVItKzP6IBY

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

im usually pretty happy with apple software but numbers is loving terrible. excel for babies.

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
Once had someone argue that anything you could do in excel you could do in numbers better.

lol.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
you can type the numbers into the boxes, and if youre a power user, you can sum them

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
:extremely tony soprano voice: numbers

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Triglav posted:

you can type the numbers into the boxes, and if youre a power user, you can sum them

dont doxx my workflow

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
i hope in numbers 5.3 they add the ability to average them too

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Roosevelt posted:

im usually pretty happy with apple software but numbers is loving terrible. excel for babies.

weird 'cause when I think excel users I think of the most self-entitled people that need the most pampering and have the worst impulse control

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

folks you can easily record, edit, and play audio right in the spreadsheet!

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

numbers is actually good. wtf is missing from it

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

power botton posted:

i've never used it because i have excel

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

power botton posted:

trendiness don't have as many options as excel and it's a lot slower than excel too

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

even if numbers had perfect feature parity with excel surely not even the most die-hard apple fan can deny that you run a much higher risk that apple will suddenly eol numbers (or just leave it to languish, which i guess is not far off what is happening) than having microsoft do the same

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

even if numbers had perfect feature parity with excel surely not even the most die-hard apple fan can deny that you run a much higher risk that apple will suddenly eol numbers (or just leave it to languish, which i guess is not far off what is happening) than having microsoft do the same

in theory yeah

but everything I use spreadsheets for has a super short lifespan on a per-document basis

like I had one 35mb excel sheet going for months back when I played eve

but now I poo poo out an xlsx (using openpyxl) from a directory full of json and nobody will ever look at it lol

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
otoh I’m not at some bank making decisions using unvalidated excel sheets

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

trendiness don't have as many options as excel and it's a lot slower than excel too

yeah all sorts of graphing and trendline stuff (especially graph formatting) seems to be lovely in numbers. when i tried to use it in college, i was constantly googling for how to do x in numbers or pages. the only thing more aggravating than finding some support.apple.com thread saying "oh, you cant. thats not a feature" is finding a helpful answer that only works two major versions ago, because the feature has been removed.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Cocoa Crispies posted:

I prefer to make my bad decisions using thread safe rust

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Cocoa Crispies posted:

the implication being that the alternative, outsourced java monoliths which the people with a working knowledge of the business can't introspect or diagnose, are more likely to be correct and safe because that's just that ~~programmer magic~~ we get paid the big bucks for ;)

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

the implication being that the alternative, outsourced java monoliths which the people with a working knowledge of the business can't introspect or diagnose, are more likely to be correct and safe because that's just that ~~programmer magic~~ we get paid the big bucks for ;)

tbh I was mostly thinking of like big finance investment bankers, and I’d prefer they made the decision to end their entire industry

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Cocoa Crispies posted:

tbh I was mostly thinking of like big finance investment bankers, and I’d prefer they made the decision to end their entire industry

this setting is actually part of the origin of my opinions of excel, and similar sort of rad-adjacent software. for lehman i did a fair bit of the reimplementation of basically ad-hoc quant workflows in java, and while it was obviously eventually necessary from both a performance and robustness standpoint, i did come around to being rather humbled with what the quants threw together. there was a setup to pipe realtime data and analytics into excel and they pretty much worked from there

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

this setting is actually part of the origin of my opinions of excel, and similar sort of rad-adjacent software. for lehman i did a fair bit of the reimplementation of basically ad-hoc quant workflows in java, and while it was obviously eventually necessary from both a performance and robustness standpoint, i did come around to being rather humbled with what the quants threw together. there was a setup to pipe realtime data and analytics into excel and they pretty much worked from there

yeah spreadsheets are pretty good from an accessibility of programming perspective

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

yeah some rear end in a top hat here basically made an entire database front end out of an excel spreadsheet with screens and everything and everyone started using it and holy gently caress am i glad i only need to touch that system very tangentially

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
yeah that's really it

pro: everyone can write a program that intuitively hooks up to a database

con: that program will probably be written by someone who has never maintained a program and has no idea what that entails

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
I can’t view your spreadsheet

motherfucker not my problem get Office like everyone else. But the Mac version is still monkey model :sad:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Cocoa Crispies posted:

yeah that's really it

pro: everyone can write a program that intuitively hooks up to a database

con: that program will probably be written by someone who has never maintained a program and has no idea what that entails

unfortunately programmers, while not *quite* in the second class, will often keep having no idea what maintenance is, even when they have had to do it before

all these things need to be understood against the background that the thing likely needs to get done. will you volunteer to write and maintain the java system to do the same, or perhaps volunteer to do the task by hand without the excel automation currently employed?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

unfortunately programmers, while not *quite* in the second class, will often keep having no idea what maintenance is, even when they have had to do it before

all these things need to be understood against the background that the thing likely needs to get done. will you volunteer to write and maintain the java system to do the same, or perhaps volunteer to do the task by hand without the excel automation currently employed?

easy tiger I’m saying it’s a tragedy not a travesty

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

graph posted:

:extremely tony soprano voice: numbers

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

openpyxl is nice but i wish it could auto determine excel type when exporting, it dumps everything to text columns by default

this is also partially a python problem

any time i want to make a sqllite toy program i just open excel

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

numbers is very slow on older ios devices. gonna see if it's any better with ios 12

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

power botton posted:

it doesn't integrate with the ms office suite and or work with any scripts so it's useless

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Raluek posted:

yeah all sorts of graphing and trendline stuff (especially graph formatting) seems to be lovely in numbers. when i tried to use it in college, i was constantly googling for how to do x in numbers or pages. the only thing more aggravating than finding some support.apple.com thread saying "oh, you cant. thats not a feature" is finding a helpful answer that only works two major versions ago, because the feature has been removed.

pages is the biggest piece of poo poo software in the world and I use libreoffice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

pages is great. I use the equation editor for adding in bits of LaTeX all the time, it’s the least bad word application. its more work to make Word and Libreoffice documents not look like poo poo in comparison. numbers is not great tho, usually fall back on libreoffice calc

• Locked thread