Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Spades posted:

Also today I received my set of cheap rear end Chinese rivet nut pliers, which do the job excellently for something which costs a fourth of the price of an actually good set. While I wouldn't trust them for stainless steel rivnuts, they are perfectly fine for the aluminium ones.

Really is no replacing rivnuts for putting threads in automotive sheet metal - both super useful for blind holes needing tapping but also just saving yourself having to set a weldnut on a painted piece of steel sometimes too.

You can see in the previous update that a bunch of the zip tie saddles have been installed with a bolt going through them and the rivnut, which I have driven into the old hole that used to house the plug ties. Conveniently, the 5mm ID rivnuts I have seem to have just barely over a 6mm OD, which means they squeeze fit with a bit of taphammering and fill the hole with no play at all.

Fun thing about these is you don't even need the tool to use them. I had to repair the spare tire mount in my SVX project and needed to install a single rivnut in place of the broken captive nut that held the spare tire hold down bolt. Not really wanting to spend the money for a whole set just to fix that one thing, I bought an assortment of different size rivnuts and used a bolt of the proper thread with a standard nut and washer, and used a gearwrench to snug it down and compress the rivnut. Worked perfect. Also a good way to install these in cramped quarters where you don't have a foot of clearance above the nut for the specific tool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6H6wr7fJYo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU