Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

verbal enema posted:

I'm still in Kanabres but I'm getting a lot of "Requires X Mystic Path" choices and despite being a Demon rear end in a top hat I can still choose the non Demon ones

Does that ever change?

So this is one of WOTR's biggest faults. The "Requires X Mythic Path" does in fact, not mean that it requires those paths, it means you're unlocking the ability to take that path later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Ah ok that's all right I guess

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

verbal enema posted:

Ah ok that's all right I guess

Yeah act 1 and most of Act 2 is giving you the ability to "open yourself" to the various mythic paths. So the player always has Angel and Demon. Doing the quest in Kenabres Square with the Desnan's unlocks Azata, the Purple Knife unlocks Aeon and the Library event unlocks Trickster. Lich is a little more involved and complicated.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
-1 level per hit from these wights in a basement? Yeah I'll be back later

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

I just started chapter three on my first playthrough and if I could go back in time and give myself some advice it would be to stock up on restoration scrolls.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Yeah I'm gonna grab some.

I think I've done all the side stuff I can do before I attack the Gray Garrison

Weapon proficiency = you can use these weapons
Weapon focus = bonus when using this particular subtype of weapon

Yeah? If so I need a goddamn magic greatsword so I can clobber poo poo harder with my cavalier

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

SoggyBobcat posted:

I just started chapter three on my first playthrough and if I could go back in time and give myself some advice it would be to stock up on restoration scrolls.

Or switch on "Remove debuffs on rest" in difficulty, because holy poo poo it can get annoying.

verbal enema posted:

Weapon proficiency = you can use these weapons
Weapon focus = bonus when using this particular subtype of weapon

Yeah? If so I need a goddamn magic greatsword so I can clobber poo poo harder with my cavalier

That's correct yeah, I'm not sure if there's any good greatswords in chapter 1, but there's a good one at the very start of chapter 3 - Go to the ruins of ashbury hamlet next to Drezen, and be ready for a fight

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

verbal enema posted:

-1 level per hit from these wights in a basement? Yeah I'll be back later

Level drain is bullshit and unless you're "MY TRUE EXPERIENCE" I recommend making stat damage and negative levels cured by a good night's sleep. gently caress em, they are not fun mechanics. PF2E doing away with Stat Damage is such an improvement. Also, fair warning, you cannot return to Kenabres once you enter the Grey Garrison, that's "Period" not "For now." So all those optional fights, this is your one shot to do em.

EDIT: As for magic greatswords... man this game is not good to Greatsword users. There is the Lustrous Blade in Act 2

quote:

Whenever the wielder of this +2 mithral greatsword lands a hit with it, the enemy must pass a Fortitude saving throw (DC 15) or be blinded for one round.

Which may as well read "1/20 chance to Blind for one round."

In Act 3 you can get Fang of Malice and Fatal Beacon (In a specific circumstance) and what will likely be your GS of choice, the Numerian Greatsword

quote:

Whenever the wielder of this +3 furyborn greatsword is under a rage effect, she doesn't suffer from its usual -2 penalty to AC.

quote:

Whenever the wielder of this +3 holy greatsword confirms a critical hit, the enemy loses the ability to make attacks of opportunity for 1 round and suffers a -5 penalty to Athletics skill checks and a -2 penalty to Reflex saving throws. Multiple applications of this effect do not stack.

quote:

This +3 greatsword is merged with Numerian technology. Once per day the wielder can activate one of five enhancements for a number of rounds equal to half the wielder's level. Fiber Muscles: The primary subject of fiber muscles gains a +4 enhancement bonus to Dexterity and Strength scores, and a +4 enhancement bonus to Mobility skill checks. Augmented Heart: The primary subject of augmented heart gains a +6 enhancement bonus to Constitution score and fortification 25. Force Shield: This shield is supported by some generator in this dungeon. It grants the wearer a +4 shield bonus to AC. Magic missiles and similar abilities can bypass it. Stainless Skin: The primary subject of stainless skin gains a +4 natural armor bonus to AC and +4 bonus to AC against touch attacks. Upgraded Neural System: The primary subject of the upgraded neural system gains a +4 enhancement bonus to Intelligence score. DC of saving throws against spells and abilities they use is increased by 2.

Act 4 introduces the final Greatsword choice, the Exterminator

quote:

This +3 living bane greatsword grants it wielder a +5 bonus on saving throws against Necromancy school spells but reduces their maximum HP by 20 while equipped.

Don't worry too much that they only get up to +3, you'll be using "Magic Weapon, Greater" to make them +5s.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Apr 10, 2024

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

most 2h builds go great axes because you can get 1 in act 3 that has a higher crit threat range, and you can stack increases to it to basically make it so you have a 50% chance of critting every attack.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Roobanguy posted:

most 2h builds go great axes because you can get 1 in act 3 that has a higher crit threat range, and you can stack increases to it to basically make it so you have a 50% chance of critting every attack.

Yeah the Grave Singer Great Axe is effectively an "I Win" button. The other option is to head towards Falchion's, most people like to use Jinx because Camilla/Ember. They're also just easy to fill conditions. WOTR is, unfortunately, a game where a lot of the magical items are "On a Tuesday, while holding a crushed soda can, while singing kumbaya then you can, provided the weather is right, and your opponent's star sign is libra, but only while mercury is in retrograde... might be able to land an additional effect" AND THE EFFECT IS USUALLY PRETTY loving MID!

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Onmi posted:

Whenever the wielder of this +3 holy greatsword confirms a critical hit, the enemy loses the ability to make attacks of opportunity for 1 round and suffers a -5 penalty to Athletics skill checks and a -2 penalty to Reflex saving throws. Multiple applications of this effect do not stack.

I'm so glad that they made that not stack, because otherwise I could... could.... no I got nothing.

Do NPCs ever even use Athletics for anything?

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Apr 10, 2024

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Gerblyn posted:

I'm so glad that they made that not stack, because otherwise I could... could.... no I got nothing.

Do NPCs ever even use Athletics for anything?

Some use it to avoid aoos, again on a Tuesday when mars is in retrograde etc.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

You aren’t a demon you’re just leaning into it.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Anias posted:

Some use it to avoid aoos, again on a Tuesday when mars is in retrograde etc.

That's mobility, isn't it?

What's annoying about WOTR items is that there's just no consistency in power levels, like clearly the designers do know how to make useful items, it's just that they often decide not to.

For example, in act 1 you can buy the attrition dagger, which is just a straight up "Target loses 1 con per hit", no saves, no crit needed, nothing beyond a "Can't reduce con below 5". It's great!

Then you complete the Defender's Heart quest, and you get The Heavy Flail of Weakness "Whenever the wielder of this +1 cold iron heavy flail confirms a critical hit with it, the target suffers a -1 penalty on attack rolls for 1 round.". If it lasted until the end of battle then I could at least see it maybe making some minor different in a fight, but 1 round? Did someone think something would survive enough crits from a +1 flail that that limit was needed?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Gerblyn posted:

That's mobility, isn't it?

What's annoying about WOTR items is that there's just no consistency in power levels, like clearly the designers do know how to make useful items, it's just that they often decide not to.

For example, in act 1 you can buy the attrition dagger, which is just a straight up "Target loses 1 con per hit", no saves, no crit needed, nothing beyond a "Can't reduce con below 5". It's great!

Then you complete the Defender's Heart quest, and you get The Heavy Flail of Weakness "Whenever the wielder of this +1 cold iron heavy flail confirms a critical hit with it, the target suffers a -1 penalty on attack rolls for 1 round.". If it lasted until the end of battle then I could at least see it maybe making some minor different in a fight, but 1 round? Did someone think something would survive enough crits from a +1 flail that that limit was needed?

It's the same for the armours, part of the reason why Pajama tanking was so prolific wasn't just how it could be done before the nerf, it was that there wasn't any armour worth wearing

Like it ranges from "Are... are there any such cases?" Such with the Act-5 Half-Plate of the Grenadier

quote:

This +5 halfplate grants its wearer immunity against bombs.

To items given to you long after they are relevant Such as the Lifeshirt of Vim, which would be useful if oh you know... it didn't come after the majority of undead enemies in the game

quote:

This +3 chainshirt grants the wearer a +4 profane bonus to AC against the attacks of non-living creatures.

Or just bad for when you get it such as the Thick Pads from Dyra in Act 1

quote:

Whenever an enemy confirms a critical hit against the wearer of this +1 padded armor, they must pass a Fortitude saving throw (DC 16) or become unable to attack with a weapon for one round.

Like first... You need to be crit, already, you're hosed. But the benefit to you being crit is your opponent maybe, has to take a turn off, if they fail a DC16 Fort save in a game where most enemies have absurd fort saves.

There are some armours you will wear throughout the game like Carapace. But even that isn't amazing it's just... "Won't be completely useless."

quote:

Whenever an enemy lands a hit on the wearer of this +2 mithral full plate mail, the attacker has to pass a Reflex saving throw (DC 18) or suffer 1d3 damage to Strength. If the attacker passes the saving throw, they suffer 1d3 piercing damage instead.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

How are heavy armor users supposed to compete when Archmage Armor gives you 14 AC at mythic 10 (practically 13 AC since you'll spend all of the last act at mythic 9) with your full dex to back you up?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

SettingSun posted:

How are heavy armor users supposed to compete when Archmage Armor gives you 14 AC at mythic 10 (practically 13 AC since you'll spend all of the last act at mythic 9) with your full dex to back you up?

Well they're meant to compete by having good effects attached to them since High AC number isn't the most effective form of defense (It's essentially the last line IMO). But the reality is that almost none of them are worth it. So if they hadn't introduced the Armor Mythic Feats and made it so you need to be the one casting Mage Armor (And not allowing Scrolls/Pots) there would be zero reason besides flavour.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

BG3 had this issue as well. Their best light armors were like extra medium armors. Medium armor that let you keep your full dex mod

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Oh also for the question: What does Atheltics even do for enemies? It may let them climb out of Pit spells. Minotaurs use athletics to knock you over on charge. So do treants. But they are very unlikely to charge you in melee so it's an "In theory"

Onmi fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Apr 10, 2024

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Onmi posted:

Well they're meant to compete by having good effects attached to them since High AC number isn't the most effective form of defense (It's essentially the last line IMO). But the reality is that almost none of them are worth it. So if they hadn't introduced the Armor Mythic Feats and made it so you need to be the one casting Mage Armor (And not allowing Scrolls/Pots) there would be zero reason besides flavour.

I think the new Heavy Armor "Add half your STR bonus to AC" mythic means that a correctly made Full Plate character can now get a better (or at least comparable) AC to a Archmage Armor user, right? Or did people already figure out that it still wasn't as good.

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Apr 10, 2024

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Gerblyn posted:

I think the new Heavy Armor "Add half your STR bonus to AC" mythic means that a correctly made Full Plate character can now get a better (or at least comparable) AC to a Archmage Armor user, right? Or did people already figure out that it still wasn't as good.

The Heavy Armor one is cool, the Light Armor one is broken.

Light Armor + Buckler is devastating.

Mythic Armor Focus (Light Armor) — Assault:

quote:

While wearing light armour and wielding a weapon that can be used with Weapon Finesse, you gain an equipped armor bonus to attack rolls equal to half your armour's AC.

Well that seems fine... Oh the armor bonus is also to damage... Oh it's not just counting the armors AC it's counting all source of armor bonus, even overlapping ones.

So a +5 Haramaki is 6 AC, So it should be 3. But if you have a Bracer of Armor +8, it'll be +7, if you have Archmage Armor, it'll be +14.

The same happens with Mythic Armor Focus (Light Armor) — Endurance. Which gives 28 SR with the above build.

Then you add in Mythic Buckler - Flying Shield Style

quote:

You have learned to make deep lunges with a shield around the battlefield in such a way that it deflects attacks made against allies. While using a buckler, all allies within 15 feet gain a shield bonus to AC equal to your shield's AC.

So you'd be thinkin' Oh, well... that can get pretty large.

Yeah it stacks with every buckler. Also with the Shield spell. And Bone Shield if you're a Lich.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
If you two hand go for a reach weapon imo if you don't use the Greataxe. Reach weapons range scales with size changing spells and is very fun.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Honestly the rod of quickened hexes would make Sylvan Trickster decent outside of a dip. I've done a full run as one because I thought it was neat but definitely seemed meant for Kingmaker.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Gerblyn posted:

Very likely they have multiple people designing items without a common strategy about itemization and power and such. Does this show up in Rogue Trader, too?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Much less, there’s obviously a range, but the amount of trash items is lower. Most things have a use when you get them, they just become obsolete as you get more stuff.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Black Noise posted:

You aren’t a demon you’re just leaning into it.

YES I AM

spirited charge rules

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I think the baffling for me in Wrath for items is you'll have an item show up and be like "This would be a really good item in another game." Like... In Act 4 of Wrath you can get the Holy Devotee's Sword.

quote:

This +3 holy longsword counts neutral enemies as evil. It also allows its wielder to count neutral enemies as evil upon using Smite Evil ability.

And like... there's like a handful of non-evil enemies through the entire game! This would have been really useful in KINGMAKER

Or this one

quote:

This +5 scimitar deals additional 2d6 holy damage on hit. Whenever the wielder confirms a critical hit, it and grants them a +4 bonus on Initiative rolls as well as 1 extra attack with a maximum attack bonus for 1 round.

An immensely cool and useful item but +4 bonus on initiative rolls... My brother in Golarion we are IN COMBAT!

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

verbal enema posted:

YES I AM

spirited charge rules

Not if you’re still in Kenabres :argh:

You’re just really angry :colbert:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Onmi posted:

An immensely cool and useful item but +4 bonus on initiative rolls... My brother in Golarion we are IN COMBAT!

The bonus to initiative within combat is pretty wild -- is there any use for that?

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Maybe if you toggle from turn based to real time and back.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

jokes posted:

The bonus to initiative within combat is pretty wild -- is there any use for that?

Does it apply the bonus and move you up the initiative order for the combat you're already in? I know that's not the plain text but it's the only way I could see the bonus being useful at all.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
So Camellia and Seelah can cause their weapons to do elemental damage I assume I need to use the spirit enhancement or bond weapon / item skills to like active it?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

verbal enema posted:

I'm still in Kanabres but I'm getting a lot of "Requires X Mystic Path" choices and despite being a Demon rear end in a top hat I can still choose the non Demon ones

Does that ever change?

You're not locked into a Mystic Path until the end of chapter 2. The requires X mystic path stuff is more saying that you have unlocked the ability to choose it.

Onmi posted:

Oh also for the question: What does Atheltics even do for enemies? It may let them climb out of Pit spells. Minotaurs use athletics to knock you over on charge. So do treants. But they are very unlikely to charge you in melee so it's an "In theory"

Also you can count the number of fights with Treants on one hand, at least Minotaurs remain relevant throughout the entire game.

verbal enema posted:

So Camellia and Seelah can cause their weapons to do elemental damage I assume I need to use the spirit enhancement or bond weapon / item skills to like active it?

Yeah you have to use their spirit enhancement/ bond weapon to activate it. Not worth it with Seelah as she has to choose between a mount and that ability and Seelah having a mount that can soak up damage for her is a big thing. With elemental damage you want a character to hard focus on it with the mythic feats you get, there's a mythic feat that causes elemental damage of a certain type to ignore resistance and immunities. There's a pair of braces that you get in chapter 3 from an optional dungeon that lets spontaneous casters (ie Ember and Dearan) gain chain lightning as part of the spellbook, you can do a lot of tweaking with spells like that to make it absolutely wreck groups of enemies.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Apr 10, 2024

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

imo you should take the [requires X path] dialogue options every time they are presented just to see what happens

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

Onmi posted:

I think the baffling for me in Wrath for items is you'll have an item show up and be like "This would be a really good item in another game." Like... In Act 4 of Wrath you can get the Holy Devotee's Sword.

And like... there's like a handful of non-evil enemies through the entire game! This would have been really useful in KINGMAKER

Or this one

At least in the tabletop ruleset initiative is rolled once but re-calculated at the top of every round, so this would potentially move you up the initiative order in later rounds. Which is still not amazing and I have no idea if it's implemented in the crpg, and also even lots of tables ignore this because it slows things down.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Entered the Gray Garrison. Been having fun killing poo poo and being more liberal with my per rest/ day skills.

Wenduag got dominated by the succubus and I was kinda panicking till I remembered and had Ember Slumber her.

The encounter where you pop open a door and the dude is like "Ah fresh heart delivery!" can suck my rear end. I more or less blocked the door with my horse's huge rear end and buffed the poo poo outta my rider and the horse while everyone else shot the rangers and cast spells. Seelah and Camellia were able to squeeze in and cut some melee dudes down too. Sparkles(the horse) still got knocked out eventually but they ate so much damage I'm proud of them.

Still trying to figure out how to really get my money's worth from Camellia. She rarely has attacks connect against her in melee(good) but does such little melee damage(not that big of an issue) but also all her magic is single use unless I stack spells which I guess I'll try out. Gotta use more scrolls for sure I have so so so many

I tried to blast some fools with her badass Lightning Strike but the whole 3d6 damage typically being reduced to three or four damage is mad whack. Maybe if Ember could succeed in occasionally winning a roll on that Remove Energy Resistance curse it'd have worked better but I'll figure it out.

Daneran or whatever has really come in clutch with his set of spells though dude kicks rear end. Found a special crossbow made for Oracles I slapped on him.

Just seems like all these demon dorks have some kind of magic resistance so I find it hard to not just slap AC and Attack Roll increase spells on my Cavalier, horse, and Seelah and just have them smack dudes into a pile of gore and or across the room. Especially since so much of the offensive magic affects all in the radius of it.

Still fun as hell though only level 5 across the board and at the end of Act 1 so I know there is a ton of wild poo poo coming up.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

verbal enema posted:

Still trying to figure out how to really get my money's worth from Camellia. She rarely has attacks connect against her in melee(good) but does such little melee damage(not that big of an issue) but also all her magic is single use unless I stack spells which I guess I'll try out. Gotta use more scrolls for sure I have so so so many

Just by being a great dodge tank, she is showing how useful she is, is she not?

For real though, she's perfectly capable of outputting great damage but you need two things first. One is Piranha Strike, and the other is either Fencing Grace or Weapon Finesse (Mythic). Both do effectively the same thing (Fencing requires picking a specific piercing weapon, but that's not exactly a hard choice for her), so it's just a matter of whether you'd rather eat into your normal feats or mythic ones.

Secondarily, since she's got witch hexes she can complement Ember as well. While her save DCs for them generally won't be nearly as good, a lot of the best hexes are either put on friendlies or don't actually care if the enemy makes the save or not - even if the enemy saves they'll last 1 round, and you can then continuously extend them so long as either Camellia or Ember can spare their move action each turn (via Cackle hex for Ember, or Chant for Camellia).

edit: You won't get your first mythic feat until quite far into chapter 2, so if you desperately need her doing more damage before that point then Fencing Grace is probably your choice. If you can I'd personally hold off until then though - she really doesn't need THAT many mythic feats, so I honestly find your DEX-to-damage feat easier to fit there.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Apr 11, 2024

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Camellia is a melee tank that has spellcasting utility, she'll never be the biggest damage dealer.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

verbal enema posted:

The encounter where you pop open a door and the dude is like "Ah fresh heart delivery!" can suck my rear end. I more or less blocked the door with my horse's huge rear end and buffed the poo poo outta my rider and the horse while everyone else shot the rangers and cast spells. Seelah and Camellia were able to squeeze in and cut some melee dudes down too. Sparkles(the horse) still got knocked out eventually but they ate so much damage I'm proud of them.

That fight is probably the nastiest one in the Grey Garrison, just a lot of dudes in there and the Alchemist is buffed to hell and back. I personally just have Daeran summon skellingtons and they generally do a good job of drawing attacks and getting the occasional hit in.

edit: if you want some advice with Wenduag, she really really likes dual wielding throwing axes. She can get a ton of attacks and there are a LOT of good throwing axes in the game and since throwing axes are light weapons you can dual wielding without the additional -2 to hit in addition to the normal minuses.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Apr 11, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I found some kickass longbow that deals damage in an area if Wenduag kills something and since she gets 3x attacks she just mows people down.

Did some of Act II got Regill did some of the very not that interesting crusade stuff. Thinking about becoming some kind of Cavalier/ off class for my PC but sticking not sure since Cavalier on it's own is already strong as hell it seems. Just absolutely demolished the entire Regill introduction area inside and out.

Running with my Cavalier PC and her horse, Sparkles, Seelah, Camellia, Dickhead Dar, Wenduag, and now Regill who was swapped in for Ember whom i immediately miss.

Game is pretty drat fun. I can't remember how far I got in Pillars of Eternity (I think it was when you first meet the Spooky Chick party member who doesn't talk) but I'm consistently having a better time in this so far.

Critting for like 90 damage on a charge without even using a spear feels drat good