Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Oh I wanted to say in regards to the crusade system:

If I wanted to loving play HoMM3 I'd play goddamn HoMM3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Auto mode and forget. I have 600+ hours in the game and I've literally never even seen the crusade mode UI. I regret nothing :colbert:

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

verbal enema posted:

Oh I wanted to say in regards to the crusade system:

If I wanted to loving play HoMM3 I'd play goddamn HoMM3

You will face braindead Inferno squads with Setsuna Shy and you will like it.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

I use Chief Ageboya because of woke

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I typically run both. When scorching ray and fireball are both online the personnel composition of the army doesn't mean too much. I also run the crusade on story mode so I swim in funding and weekly recruitment.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Aside: there is exactly one spell in the game that scales infinitely with hacked levels: boneshaker.

Every other one has a stated or hidden level cap.

But boneshaker is happy to do 10000d6 damage.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

ikanreed posted:

Aside: there is exactly one spell in the game that scales infinitely with hacked levels: boneshaker.

Every other one has a stated or hidden level cap.

But boneshaker is happy to do 10000d6 damage.

Well poo poo, that is something I had never even heard of.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Isn’t boneshaker the one you can’t use on skeletons. I always thought that was funny.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Are there any good mods that rebalance the lovely magic items? I don't want my scythe, falchion, or great axe nerfed, but making the many dc 13 saving throw weapons actually good would help build diversity.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Is there any way to see how many attacks an enemy will do? Found some miniboss Incubus in a cave and that prick did like 6 27DMG attacks and I was like ex-loving-cuse me.

Also what's the best way to get past enemy MR? I might have missed a tutorial pop up but I have a hell of a time doing it.

I am doing the auto level for my companions so I know that isn't like meta or whatever

Like I randomly blast a regular incubus.hanging out with said miniboss from above with Scorching Ray from Ember and it does 22 then rolls again for 15 and I'm like gently caress yeah ok that's what's up then I do it again and it's like nah you get nothing. I try to Energy Curse them but that fails too.

Maybe I have an Energy Curse scroll I could have Nenio or Daeren copy to their spellbook and it'll work better?

Also if I want to multi class I just level up another class right? I could if I wanted do Cavalier and some zappy poo poo too correct?

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Someone will give a longer explanation but AUTOLEVEL IS A TRAP

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
noooooo

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Don't do autolevel if you are comfortable with building characters but on low difficulties the game is easy enough you can sleep through whatever build you have. You can make the game VERY easy on Normal or less with a bit of manual love with the builds. You don't need to know much; just what broadly what to take for your classes to be effective.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

verbal enema posted:

Is there any way to see how many attacks an enemy will do? Found some miniboss Incubus in a cave and that prick did like 6 27DMG attacks and I was like ex-loving-cuse me.

Also what's the best way to get past enemy MR? I might have missed a tutorial pop up but I have a hell of a time doing it.

I am doing the auto level for my companions so I know that isn't like meta or whatever

Like I randomly blast a regular incubus.hanging out with said miniboss from above with Scorching Ray from Ember and it does 22 then rolls again for 15 and I'm like gently caress yeah ok that's what's up then I do it again and it's like nah you get nothing. I try to Energy Curse them but that fails too.

Maybe I have an Energy Curse scroll I could have Nenio or Daeren copy to their spellbook and it'll work better?

Also if I want to multi class I just level up another class right? I could if I wanted do Cavalier and some zappy poo poo too correct?

Well one of the best ways to get past enemy MR is to not ever multiclass away from being a full caster if you want to blast :v:. Azata, Lich (if you're Arcane), Angel (if you're Divine) are the best ways to really be a passable blaster since they all massively pump your caster level or give you tricks to reroll MR checks. Otherwise just get the good feats like spell penetration and anything that increases the caster level.

Also literally rolling a die would be better than using the autolevel suggestions for companions, they're absolutely brain dead and often pick up feats or spells that have no overlap or synergy for some insane reason.

If you want to be a full caster with a pet you have a few options.

Sylvan Sorcerer is just that right out of the tin, Sorcerer who trades bloodline for a pet which is mostly a good trade unless you're doing some Crossblood shenanigans.

If you're a Cleric you can pick a god with the Animal domain, or pick the Impossible Domain Mythic to get one.

Druids can just get one as well with no subclass or the Primal one if you're cool with just having Dinos to pick from

And Nature Oracle can get a Wolf or Horse.

There's also a free Triceratops pet tied to an item you can pick up during the initial siege of Drezen that levels with you.

Zore fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Apr 14, 2024

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.

verbal enema posted:

Spell resistance is like AC for magic, where Caster Level (this is a specific term) is your attack bonus. Not every creature has SR, but I think all demons do, except maybe the lowest ranked. Because of that, you'll want everyone who casts a lot of spells on enemies to take the feat Spell Penetration and its Greater upgrade for +2 to the roll each, as well as the Mythic upgrade for +(rank).

By the way, if you don't have the terminology clear, you have character levels and a mythic rank.

And that's just for getting through the SR. Ember, for example, primarily does fire damage and is also going to want element-specific upgrades, like Ascendant Element which ignores fire immunity and resistance. Offensive casters take quite a few levels to get going, but they're very useful when all the core upgrades are done.

quote:

Until you learn the system, I recommend taking a single class all the way to 20. It's better to have six characters who are great at their specialty.

But if you're finding Cavalier monotonous, there are hybrids like Magus, Alchemist, or Mutation Warrior that can do several things at the cost of increased complexity.

Mordecai fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Apr 15, 2024

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Coming back to this game after emerging from a Dragon's Dogma 2-induced stupor, I have to say Act 4 is pretty drat good. Definitely going for that Planescape: Torment vibe, and they succeeded. The camera gimmick is kind of pointless, but it doesn't really get in the way all that much. Such a power fantasy how you destroy all your enemies, up to and including Baphomet himself. Main criticism would be that some of the (side) story beats were all too predictable. For example, the Vellexia situation played out exactly how anyone could have predicted it would, and the other characters don't even really comment on it.

I made the right choice going with Greataxe, you get such juicy crits with it:

:eyepop:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

KPC_Mammon posted:

Are there any good mods that rebalance the lovely magic items? I don't want my scythe, falchion, or great axe nerfed, but making the many dc 13 saving throw weapons actually good would help build diversity.

No, it's the one kind of mod we don't have sadly. I've been pushing in the Modding channels for people to take a crack at it since it keeps coming up. The main issue is :effort: more than lack of knowledge, people have made the occasional magic item.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
one way to level the playing field: Trickster and the found item upgrades, you will quickly find way more candidates for good and varied melee weapons

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Act 5: I was so tempted to go Legend for narrative reasons, I love telling deities to go gently caress themselves in these games, but I really didn't feel like losing all of my Mythic powers and then having to plan out my build for the remaining 21 levels. It's too late in the game for such a drastic change. As for the Worldwound, well, I trust I will find some way to stay alive at the end regardless.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

Act 5: I was so tempted to go Legend for narrative reasons, I love telling deities to go gently caress themselves in these games, but I really didn't feel like losing all of my Mythic powers and then having to plan out my build for the remaining 21 levels. It's too late in the game for such a drastic change. As for the Worldwound, well, I trust I will find some way to stay alive at the end regardless.

If you skip dialogue and perhaps some personal quests, speedruning the new content does not take THAT long. It's what I did for Aeon and Devil too.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

Definitely have a separate save for at least one playthrough if not this one to try it since Legend does change a lot of stuff up and is the most fleshed out Act 5 only path by far. But unfortunately Legend is not really a "screw you gods!" sort of path. Since you're submitting to Iomedea and basically going yeah this power shouldn't be in mortal hands you're so right, etc etc. The path where you're flipping off the gods is more something like Swarm or any of the Secret Ending variations of the paths. Trickster too. But the nice thing about this game is it will bend itself to make whatever choice you make happen to be the "correct one" so Legend does feel as epic as the other routes. But for a few reasons it's better as a 2nd/3rd playthrough path than a first one anyways.

Mechanically its probably the most powerful path too. You can combine it with stuff like trickster and keep stuff like the improved improved critical feats you've already taken. Just can't ever respec.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 15, 2024

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

The objectively correct legend path is to do a full theurge (10 arcane + 10 divine + 10 theurge + 5 arcane + 5 divine) build, with both of the enduring spells mythic perks, so that you can cast every buff in the game with 24h duration. Thanks to the 40 class levels you will have the stats of a full fighter and enough spell slots to wreck poo poo with spells even after you've cast all the buffs.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Can I swap crusade mode to auto and still get everything decree wise from it? I remember there being.... something in the first game you'd miss or might mess up or something in the first PF game's kingdom management.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I was doing pretty well up until now, but this fight against Asmazar the Sea Boiler in the Midnight Isles DLC. How the gently caress do I win this. He has 1113 (regenerating) health, and every single one of his hits connects, while all my guys are staggered and have massive stat debuffs from the age mechanic.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Nenio should be able to get a pretty strong selective sirrocco or slow on all those guys with the age debuff. For the harder fights it doesn’t hurt to swap to turn based. There are also scrolls of age resistance for your characters that have use magic device. Greater restoration is an expensive option to reset the debuff as well iirc.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I just went back to the ship and rested. Turns out this resets the age counter, and I was able to effortlessly defeat him when I tried again. I say fight cheese with cheese. I have no shame. gently caress you, Asmazar the Sea Boiler.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I would have said some form of coup de grace, which is a solid response to regenerating motherfuckers but I don't know poo poo about that DLC.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Black Noise posted:

Isn’t boneshaker the one you can’t use on skeletons. I always thought that was funny.

Well, DUH. They're already shaking their own bones, dude, they don't need you.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

GVS with Mythic Vital Strike will reliably put out hundreds of damage per round.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

verbal enema posted:

The Y key (or the magnifying glass icon, bottom left of the screen) will pop up a monster's stat block when you mouse on it, assuming someone in your party has identified it with the relevant Lore.

quote:

A) Be an elf. That's probably too late.
B) Feats : Spell Penetration => Greater Spell Penetration => Mythic Penetration (that's just how they call me, ma'am)
C) Increasing your casting stat until you hit the skybox
D) Increasing your caster level... somehow. There are a few ways to do this with mythic this and archetype that, but the above should be enough up to Core dif.

Also, some spells plain don't check for monster SR at all, notably the environmental ones (e.g. pits, grease, glitterdust, entangling roots, web etc etc) but, for some reason I can't quite grasp, also the humble Snowball. Which has no right being a level 1 spell considering how good that thing is.

quote:

In theory yes. However, don't do that unless you know exactly what you're doing and why, because you'll very likely just end up loving yourself in some way otherwise. Straight class most anything is Good 'Nuff to roll through the game (and more or less the intent of the Pathfinder devs, if not the Owlcat ones).

EDIT :

wiegieman posted:

GVS with Mythic Vital Strike will reliably put out hundreds of damage per round.

For added fun, do this with a Trickster Rowdy1/Paladin X smiting. War crimes *will* be committed.

Kobal2 fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 16, 2024

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks
What's a good, fun single class option for a first time run for someone that's getting kind of tired of picking Sorcerer but still wants to regularly pass persuasion checks?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Cavalier has been a blast

I love my horse

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Professor Moriarty posted:

What's a good, fun single class option for a first time run for someone that's getting kind of tired of picking Sorcerer but still wants to regularly pass persuasion checks?

If you keep raising persuasion and just cats buffs, you can pass test if the modifier is not negative.
But if you want a boost, any class with Cha or Wisdom as secondary stat can do it easily (wisdom with oblate background).
So for different full spellcaster flavor, you can pick Cleric, Druid or Oracle.
For a change of pace and a full martial, Monk can do it easily (though levels after 11 feel meh, and even sohei and sensei would rather get 5 leverls from elsewhere).
Depending on mythic flavor, Paladin is also a very viable choice.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

JamMasterJim posted:

If you keep raising persuasion and just cats buffs, you can pass test if the modifier is not negative.
But if you want a boost, any class with Cha or Wisdom as secondary stat can do it easily (wisdom with oblate background).
So for different full spellcaster flavor, you can pick Cleric, Druid or Oracle.
For a change of pace and a full martial, Monk can do it easily (though levels after 11 feel meh, and even sohei and sensei would rather get 5 leverls from elsewhere).
Depending on mythic flavor, Paladin is also a very viable choice.

Paladin can be a mixed bag as a whole but Mark of Justice is op as hell with a stacked cha character.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Just did the Nahyndri fight at the end of the Midnight Isles DLC. It seemed basically impossible until I realized you could use the ballistas to stunlock him for a while. Did that as soon as possible, then immediately swarmed him together with a million summons.

Got a feeling that after Nahyndri and Songbird the rest of the game won't be too difficult, although this is Owlcat, so I'm sure there will still be some nasty surprises here and there.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Play a bloodrager and get all the cool bloodline powers and charisma casting while also getting to chop people with axes.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

SettingSun posted:

Play a bloodrager and get all the cool bloodline powers and charisma casting while also getting to chop people with axes.

Bloodrager is the best way to play. The infinite rage mythic feat really helps. Then you only have to balance the annoyance of needing to wait for the fatigue debuff!

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Kobal2 posted:

A) Be an elf. That's probably too late.
B) Feats : Spell Penetration => Greater Spell Penetration => Mythic Penetration (that's just how they call me, ma'am)
C) Increasing your casting stat until you hit the skybox
D) Increasing your caster level... somehow. There are a few ways to do this with mythic this and archetype that, but the above should be enough up to Core dif.

Also, some spells plain don't check for monster SR at all, notably the environmental ones (e.g. pits, grease, glitterdust, entangling roots, web etc etc) but, for some reason I can't quite grasp, also the humble Snowball. Which has no right being a level 1 spell considering how good that thing is.

It's usually conjuration spells that ignore SR, which I guess is why it's so popular a school!

There are a few items that boost spell penetration, one of the merchants in Drezen sells an undershirt that boosts it by 2 for example. If you're still in Act 1 you can collect the bits for a magic item that grants the holder and everyone nearby a +2 boost to SP as well, though it's a bit of a pain to get:

(Spoilers obviously)
https://pathfinderwrathoftherighteous.wiki.fextralife.com/The+Covenant+of+the+Inheritor

As an extra note about this one:
You need to get the from the story teller, but you'll only have the needed items after completing act 1. You have a very short window to speak to the story teller at the very start of Act 2 - if you miss it you'll need to wait until half way through act 3 to get him back

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Gerblyn posted:

It's usually conjuration spells that ignore SR, which I guess is why it's so popular a school!

Yup. It's also one of the reasons why Angel so trivially breaks the game with the merged spellbook. Bolt and Storm of Justice are conjuration spells with a 100% chance to hit. So you bypass all enemy stats to always guarantee a hit for a bunch of damage. It's only one of the many things Angel is good for sure, but it's pretty easy to use and requires almost no supporting feats/items/etc to pull off. You just want CL and spell slots.

Another thing that can help with casters in general is to focus on illusion/enchanting schools. That's Nenio's forte so the game is littered with equipment that boosts your ability to hit with spells of those schools. And many enemies, even bosses in this game are vulnerable to save or die/suck spells. Bonus if Azata as well since you can force your enemy to roll twice with favorable magic which makes it much easier to hit them too. I believe Touch of Luck which Sosiel can cast might also help?
I can't remember if they stack though, it's been a while.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Apr 17, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Phlegmish posted:

I, personally despise a lot of the writing for Legend, because it truly involves the KC being a complete bonehead and rear end in a top hat to function. Legend is great if you're leaving a path like Legend or Demon, and it's a complete kick in the dick if you're leaving Angel or Azata.

Gerblyn posted:

There are a few items that boost spell penetration, one of the merchants in Drezen sells an undershirt that boosts it by 2 for example. If you're still in Act 1 you can collect the bits for a magic item that grants the holder and everyone nearby a +2 boost to SP as well, though it's a bit of a pain to get:

(Spoilers obviously)
https://pathfinderwrathoftherighteous.wiki.fextralife.com/The+Covenant+of+the+Inheritor

As an extra note about this one:
You need to get the from the story teller, but you'll only have the needed items after completing act 1. You have a very short window to speak to the story teller at the very start of Act 2 - if you miss it you'll need to wait until half way through act 3 to get him back

A hilarious thing with the Covenant of the Inheritor is that you can at the start of Act 2 (and any time you can talk to her), give it to Galfrey. She'll thank you and give you a bit of EXP and you've given away one of the strongest items in the game for no real reward. it's not even a requirement of the romance