Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Introduction
Dragon Force for the Sega Saturn mixes RPG elements, as well as real time tactics and strategy to create a fairly unique style of game, all with a story interwoven between battles to tie things together. Released in the US in 1996, it was developed by J-Force and Sega, and translated by Working Designs. The power of an ancient demon is on the rise, and a powerful nation has declared open war on all other kingdoms. The world is divided, and it's up to us as one of six kingdoms to unite Legendra, as well as track down the eight members of the legendary Dragon Force to quell the rising tide of evil. To do that we'll have to deploy a varied array of officers commanding one of many troop types and conquer the land castle by castle. On top of that each nation has its own story events and starting conditions to navigate in order to survive in this war torn land.

About the Playthrough
This playthrough will be done with my physical copy of the game on a real Sega Saturn. I'll be upscaling the image 5x which will cut off a little bit at the top and bottom edges, but we won't be missing anything important.

I've fully played through the game 3 times, I think. I've at least dabbled for a few battles with every kingdom over the years. However, that was a long, long time ago, so replaying the game as any kingdom should be interesting. To that end, I'm going to let you guys decide which kingdom we play as.

Voting
If you want to vote for a kingdom you'll need to click the link below and vote in the straw poll. If you want to leave a reply as well that's cool. I'm curious why people might choose one kingdom over the other. Again, just make sure you vote in the poll.

Voting ended Wednesday Oct 3, 2018 at 11PM US Eastern Time. Results:

Episodes

Voting Episode (Voting has closed...link kept for posterity)

Series Playlist

It's video games. Every day...ish.
http://www.youtube.com/rojovision
http://www.twitch.tv/rojovision

rojovision fucked around with this message at 19:50 on May 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!
Images
I really like the sprite aesthetic in this game.

rojovision fucked around with this message at 19:50 on May 11, 2019

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!
reserved.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Voting Episode

This episode introduces the game very briefly with some gameplay, and introduces each of the 6 kingdoms you can choose to vote for. Remember, for your vote to count you have to vote in the straw poll linked below! Voting will end sometime on Wednesday, October 3.

Edit: Voting has closed.

rojovision fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Oct 4, 2018

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Hot dang, I remember seeing this game way back on on my Sega Saturn demo disc. Those were the days man. Best of luck!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Man, hard to believe an LP request of mine gets answered so quickly. Thank you so much!

I voted for Topaz, though Palemoon is also good as far as I'm concerned. I want a lot of interaction with Tristan though IIRC actually picking them spoils something or other instantly? Obviously if that's true nobody actually detail such a spoiler please.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Man, hard to believe an LP request of mine gets answered so quickly. Thank you so much!

I voted for Topaz, though Palemoon is also good as far as I'm concerned. I want a lot of interaction with Tristan though IIRC actually picking them spoils something or other instantly? Obviously if that's true nobody actually detail such a spoiler please.

No prob, it's been on my to-play list for a long time now. And yes, there is a bit of a spoiler about Tristan if you pick them, which is one reason I want people to tag spoilers. It's nothing quite like you'd see if we picked one of the two unlockable kingdoms (Fandaria / Tradnor), though.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Dang, when I saw this title pop up I was wondering why it sounded so familiar. Now I remember like two or three failed LPs of this from way back in the day. I've been looking forward to seeing this completed for ages, can't wait!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Voted beast mode since it's the faction I've seen the least, as well.

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

"English translation by Working Designs"

:getin:

Eagerly awaiting this.

Also, apparently, we'll be fighting the Silva Gunner Army. Presumably we'll have to face their Sudden Flintstone Theme Remix as well.

Bliss Authority fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Sep 28, 2018

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

Oh man, this is one of my favorite games on the Saturn.
The sprite aesthetic, music, and gameplay are all really good!

Hope the LP goes well!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
...a part of me wonders if this game has any relation to the band DragonForce.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Junpei posted:

...a part of me wonders if this game has any relation to the band DragonForce.

That would be cool, but sadly no relation as far as I know.

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!
You said you never played Bozack, so voting for Bozack!

Loved this game, pretty sure I completed it as everyone, more variety between playthroughs than you'd think.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
Voting for whoever commands the Silva Gunner Army.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Looks like it's a real close call between the Beastie Boys and Magical Girls at the moment. Whoever wins, we loseshould have a good time.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the lead designer of this went on to form idea factory and be heavily involved in the creation of neptunia. also this game rules

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!
Just a reminder that today is the last day to vote. Poll will close at 11PM tonight.

Edit: Voting has closed.

rojovision fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Oct 4, 2018

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
This gives me ogre battle flashbacks. Interesting.

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty
Excellent, I was just reminiscing about this game the other day, this will be fun to watch.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I think I always gravitated towards Tristan because it's lead by a giant hot blonde woman in deathknight armor and I am a simple man.

mod edit: adding spoilers per OP request.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Oct 4, 2018

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

7c Nickel posted:

I think I always gravitated towards Tristan because it's lead by a giant hot blonde woman in deathknight armor and I am a simple man.

Tag spoilers, please.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

rojogames posted:

Tag spoilers, please.

My bad. I just didn't see it as a spoiler since you find out within 30 seconds of starting the game with Junon. Other characters in the story don't know but the player does.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

7c Nickel posted:

My bad. I just didn't see it as a spoiler since you find out within 30 seconds of starting the game with Junon. Other characters in the story don't know but the player does.

Yep, I hear you. Not a huge thing, but it's at least a mildly interesting development for the other factions, that's all.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!
Results are in. Looks like it's Bozack by a hair! Should be interesting. Palemoon was honestly way more popular than I expected. If the kingdom you voted for didn't win, don't worry too much - we'll get to see all of them in action to some extent over the course of the playthrough. The first episodes will probably be up either Sunday the 7th or Monday the 8th.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Should be good. Hoping for a good mix of claws, axes, and superpunches.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
GONGOS WILL MAKE YOU CHATTER LIKE A RABID MONKEY!

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!
I do enjoy Gongos's enthusiasm.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
Gongos does have the most unique story in Dragon Force, including more secrets compared to the other monarchs. I actually can't recommend him as the first choice due to this weird story, but it's going to be a fun ride.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Now I know what this reminds me of. I played some old 360 game called Spectral force 3, and this reminds me of it. Anime kingdoms pitting against each other, and general tone.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Drakenel posted:

Now I know what this reminds me of. I played some old 360 game called Spectral force 3, and this reminds me of it. Anime kingdoms pitting against each other, and general tone.

Endorph said the lead designer of this game went on to form Idea Factory, which made the Spectral Force games, so maybe the similarities aren't a coincidence.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Endorph said the lead designer of this game went on to form Idea Factory, which made the Spectral Force games, so maybe the similarities aren't a coincidence.

I'd forgotten about that. Go figure. Neat.

I mean, the games themselves are aggressively mediocre but somewhat unique in what they go for.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!
Never heard of Spectral Force before, so maybe I'll check those games out one of these days.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Lol gently caress knights and ninjas, apparently.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

rojogames posted:

Never heard of Spectral Force before, so maybe I'll check those games out one of these days.

Careful. It's painful levels of anime. And the gameplay, while semi-unique, is mediocre.

Though this forum certainly powers through far worse for our entertainment.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 0 - Exordium

This is a bit of an introduction to / overview of the game in general. We also take a look at the intro cinematics, and the intro story for Bozack, and then look at the administration layer of the game somewhat in depth. There's a bit of reading early on in the game - I'm not going to read every little thing, and will generally stick to reading the story encounters.

Episode 1 - Gallant Man of the Forest

We get into the meat of the gameplay, sending Gongos and friends out to deal with our most immediate threat - the rebel Gunner and his forces.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Looks like the Rise of the Age of Beastmen is coming along nicely. Yes... Yes.

Gongos is pretty great. In fact, the game looks very fun (I requested the LP to see the rest of the plot, I remembered little of how the game went)! Unfortunate that if there's a spiritual sequel for modern platforms it'll be about Uniting Gamindustry.

e: I also like the conceit of 'we must beat the empire bent on the world conquest... to the punch!'

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
You won't get the whole story from any one playthrough, exactly. All the leaders get their own reason for fighting, and certain events go differently based on who you're playing.

There's also some deep background that you can only get at by putting the CD into a PC and looking through some text files.

Dragon Force did get a Dragon Force 2. It only came out in Japan, sadly. I believe there have been fan-translations done.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Bloodly posted:

You won't get the whole story from any one playthrough, exactly. All the leaders get their own reason for fighting, and certain events go differently based on who you're playing.

There's also some deep background that you can only get at by putting the CD into a PC and looking through some text files.

Dragon Force did get a Dragon Force 2. It only came out in Japan, sadly. I believe there have been fan-translations done.

Yeah, I know it got the sequel, and thanks to earlier in the thread heard of the not-Dragon Force games the designer made later (Spectral Force), I meant if a new spiritual sequel came out today. Maybe I meant spiritual successor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Bloodly posted:

Yeah that helps the replayability a fair bit. Also, there's definitely an English translation for DF2, a game that I unfortunately don't own yet. At least it's nowhere near as expensive as the US version of this game...at least for now.