Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I decided to try the DS Spectral Force, and it's a lot less fun than this looks. Instead of a domestic phase followed by map movements, there's a whole bunch of non-combat phases the game goes through before reaching the battle phase, and it's kinda semi randomly so in one attempt to play I had a human affairs phase (where you put generals in government roles that aren't really explained well) followed by... another human affairs phase. Fun! Also in the battle preparation screen I have no idea how (or if) I can see what troops my opponents have before actually entering battle. Also combat is just really lame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Of course Gongos is a modern king, with forward thinking ways like promising a rebel mastery of all the future conquests after he conquers the world to prevent an evil empire from conquering the world.

This is going to be magical.

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde
It'll also be a good way of rubbing Goldark's nose in it, once he's been defeated.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of Dragon Force. I was curious about this game.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 2 - Repelling Izumo

We deal with the forces dispatched to one of our castles by Izumo, and figure out what's going on with Yuug.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

If you're wondering about the unit rock-paper-scissors you can look them up at (warning: spoilers)

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/saturn/197149-dragon-force/faqs/28528

In particular, we can see that our beasts are

Strong against: Cavalry
Weak against: Soldiers, samurai, harpies, and dragons
+25% command in forests
-11% command in mountains
-16% command in deserts
-50% command in snow (shirts are actually useful and good)

In this episode we also saw cavalry and samurai. Cavalry are strong against samurai but have a -25% command modifier in forests (samurai have -16%).

I don't know what strength/weakness means in gameplay terms but the forest terrain likely helps explain why our weak beasts did pretty well while one enemy commander soloed 20 horsemen.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

There's also a page in the manual that shows this info, but it's in less explicit terms as you don't get the actual numbers. Gongos is probably going to hate it when we get to Tristan because that's where the snow's mostly (all?) at. Funny enough, I think the harpy troops that Tristan likes to use have -50% in forests because they just can't help but slam their faces into tree branches, I guess.

As far as I know the percentages and relative command stats of the officers affect troop power. I don't know exactly what that means either, but I'm going to guess it's how likely they are to land a hit on an enemy soldier / general, which as you mentioned could account for the cavalry doing pretty much nothing but scratching that one guy's armor. I think the damage an officer takes per hit may be part of a separate formula, which could be in the FAQ you linked.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
So basically Gongos' starting crew are built around capturing enemy generals? It seems like all their moves are meant to damage the generals directly. I'm guessing other factions might be not as good at capturing but have more generals that can search for loot/new generals to compensate.

Also as one-note as it is I like Yuni's combat dialogue. Meow! :3: I hope she goes far.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Zanzibar Ham posted:

So basically Gongos' starting crew are built around capturing enemy generals? It seems like all their moves are meant to damage the generals directly. I'm guessing other factions might be not as good at capturing but have more generals that can search for loot/new generals to compensate.

Also as one-note as it is I like Yuni's combat dialogue. Meow! :3: I hope she goes far.

In a sense, maybe. Beastmen generals are allegedly good duelists according to one source I was using for research (maybe the FAQ that was linked earlier), but most officers have at least one ability that can damage an enemy officer, so with good timing you shouldn't have too much trouble capturing enemies regardless of who you're playing. I think all kingdoms start with at least one person of 70 int to search with, but some have easier access to additional searchers or items to boost the intelligence of existing officers.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
They're very direct-damage-to-general, yes. You won't say they're built around capturing, exactly, as others can do that and damage troops well, and there are others who are similar in doing damage to the general, like Monks. Be wary if sending generals that are weaker physically(Priest, Magic users, summoners, but also thieves and ninja) against a physical general, or you may find yourself smacked around and beaten by direct damage even as you've cleared the field of troops and are beating them up. As MP increases and more moves and possibly equip are gained, the risk can grow and grow.

There aren't many generals in general that can search. The items to raise INT are fairly rare, and you almost never get it in level up.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 3 - Retaliation

We push into Izumo territory and have an unexpected encounter in one of the local towns.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It's a funny touch that Gunner is actually very smart compared to the other Beastman generals, even before reading that book.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
This looks like the kind of game that only gets easier as you progress. Your advantages seem to just snowball. Is there anything that balances for you just getting more and more generals and castles?

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Zanzibar Ham posted:

It's a funny touch that Gunner is actually very smart compared to the other Beastman generals, even before reading that book.

Other than Katt he might actually be the smartest beastman alive. Must suck to be that intelligent and still lose to Gongos because he's just so drat charismatic. That and he can twist you into a pretzel.

Crystalgate posted:

This looks like the kind of game that only gets easier as you progress. Your advantages seem to just snowball. Is there anything that balances for you just getting more and more generals and castles?

It's definitely a game where you can snowball, though there are certainly some surprises here and there. We saw one in episode 2 with the Skull Children, though we didn't have to deal with them due to an enemy force being between them and us. Also without spoiling anything, the end game in particular can be pretty challenging.

rojovision fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Oct 13, 2018

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
The thing is, this is not precisely a wargame, even though it looks like it. It's an RPG with added troops. The AI isn't actively trying to conquer the map like something like Medieval and no faction gains excessive power and needs cutting down. They squabble around the edges of their territory, and generals and castles on the edges may change hands, but the heartlands stay untouched. Hell, screwing around with Debug Mode(Which allows for forced moving of AI troops) shows that the inner circles of the leaders and the leader themselves are nigh unbeatable in AI-vs-AI, sometimes even with absurd disadvantage.
Madruk is our final target(As you'd expect from the intro) and most of the game is built around that and the final challenges you'll also have to deal with, which are legitimately tough.

Gongos, as I recall, is one of the only leaders who doesn't become aware of Madruk being the final target till later. All the others either know as they start, or are told so soon after their 'rebellion' scenario. This doesn't mean the other leaders won't fight you/need a beatdown, though this can vary drastically based on who you play as.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Yeah this is all true, though we should probably table further discussion of Bozack's story until we see it / other factions' events to avoid potential spoilers. While I've done some research, I don't know exactly what will happen over the course of this particular campaign, so I'd like an opportunity to be surprised. Maybe I'll show off debug mode as a bonus video or something...I think I messed around with it once, but that was a long, long time ago.

rojovision fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Oct 13, 2018

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 4 - Hunting for Hayate

We put our invasion of Izumo on hold, and return to the town we met Hayate in to try to track him down.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.

rojogames posted:

Episode 4 - Hunting for Hayate

We put our invasion of Izumo on hold, and return to the town we met Hayate in to try to track him down.

Key word in that description clearly being 'try'.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.

rojogames posted:

You can't actually get Hayate in Gongos' route till far too late, for a good reason.
Let me know if you want me to remove this spoiler though.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Eeepies posted:

You can't actually get Hayate in Gongos' route till far too late, for a good reason.
Let me know if you want me to remove this spoiler though.

Spoilers are alright as long as they're tagged.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Gonna guess Jackal's dialogue is the product of the iconic Working Designs touch. Kinda fits his portrait though, so could be worse.

I noticed there's a path to a fort (or town?) southwest from your starting castle, is there anything to do there? If it's a fort is it even occupied? Maybe I missed you raiding the place earlier or something.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Gonna guess Jackal's dialogue is the product of the iconic Working Designs touch. Kinda fits his portrait though, so could be worse.

I noticed there's a path to a fort (or town?) southwest from your starting castle, is there anything to do there? If it's a fort is it even occupied? Maybe I missed you raiding the place earlier or something.

I believe that's the Forest Shrine. We'll check it out eventually, but it will likely be awhile. There are 2 other similar shrines, one by Tristan, and one by Palemoon.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!
Going to have to push today's episode back to tomorrow. Worst case we'll do Friday / Sunday this week...got busy, sorry for the delay.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 5 - It's Treason, Then

We run into a minor snag as we defend our territory and make our way back to Izumo with Gongos.

Episode 6 - Bada Booms and Bamboozles

We finally engage Mikhal in combat, and he turns out to be a formidable opponent.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Phew, glad Mikhal wasn't mad about losing that eye.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Phew, glad Mikhal wasn't mad about losing that eye.

He's a very considerate guy like that. Definitely nothing untoward afoot as far as Modern King Gongos is concerned.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

As far as I know there's always a certain amount of time at the start of battle before AI generals can run away.

At least for me they've never ran away before I've been able to use 1 special move.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Cyflan posted:

As far as I know there's always a certain amount of time at the start of battle before AI generals can run away.

At least for me they've never ran away before I've been able to use 1 special move.

That makes sense. I didn't consider it while recording, but I'm wondering if my guys lose loyalty points for retreating from combat / generally losing fights. Might have to look that up at some point.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 7 - Next Moves

We set our sights on Tradnor, one of the nearby kingdoms and one of the places Mikhal may have fled to. However, it seems that they have also set their sights on us.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)
I only just got caught up with this LP, but regarding "Not the Dragon Force you're thinking of":

The stories I heard were that when DragonForce had to change their name from DragonHeart (on account of someone else already having the copyright for that name), they went with DragonForce on account of A) everyone in the band being just the kind of hopeless nerds to have been familiar with this game, and B) thinking the name sounded cool.

Otherwise, excellent LP so far, keep up the great work!

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 8 - To Tradnor

We begin our invasion of Tradnor in earnest with a two-pronged attack.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Sordas Volantyr posted:

I only just got caught up with this LP, but regarding "Not the Dragon Force you're thinking of":

The stories I heard were that when DragonForce had to change their name from DragonHeart (on account of someone else already having the copyright for that name), they went with DragonForce on account of A) everyone in the band being just the kind of hopeless nerds to have been familiar with this game, and B) thinking the name sounded cool.

Otherwise, excellent LP so far, keep up the great work!

That's interesting...do you remember where you heard that? I'd definitely like to look into it and possibly issue a correction in a future video, if true.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I saw your episode 9 on Youtube. Is there any reason not to just have generals constantly running around your backline ferrying recruits from your safest castles to your frontlines so your primary generals keep topped up?

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 9 - Boxed In

We defend our kingdom from Fandaria's attack and try to chase down Tradnor's stragglers.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

marshmallow creep posted:

I saw your episode 9 on Youtube. Is there any reason not to just have generals constantly running around your backline ferrying recruits from your safest castles to your frontlines so your primary generals keep topped up?

There are a couple like the occasional surprise attack from the Skull Children or the desire to search with certain people. That said it's definitely doable as far as I know, though it's not really necessary. If I feel like I'm going to lose a fight somewhere I'll usually just park another officer in the castle from somewhere else rather than move troops back and forth - and most of our back line officers can only field maybe 30 troops anyway. To the best of my knowledge the AI can't resupply any faster than we can when it comes to troop regeneration in a single castle. Still, what you're suggesting might speed things up here and there, especially when there's a perfectly good extra castle that's reasonably safe from attack 2 feet from where our exhausted force is. There are several locations around the map where we could be in that situation.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!
Going to push today's episode back to tomorrow - I need to finish up a couple videos for the Halloween series I do every year on my channel. Aside from that I'm going to try to get back to the mon / wed / fri / sometimes sunday schedule for consistency's sake. Just haven't had a lot of time to catch up and create a backlog recently.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It's alright, I can wait as long as is necessary for new episodes of Dragon Force: The Rise of Overlord Yuni.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 10 - Gongos Vs. The Bad Magic Boy

Gongos and Co. take on Reinhart directly, who seems surprisingly unfazed by his situation.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 11 - Bozack Sandwich

We begin an invasion of Topaz, sandwiching our forces between them and Fandaria, and make moves to prepare for future plans for scouting nearby landmarks or taking additional castles.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)
Observations:

The castle you just took, Nikeral, is level 1. How many times has that place changed hands!? (also, Tradnor had a castle named Nikeral and a castle named Mikeral. Not the most creative people, those Tradnorians, eh?)

Holy smokes, Gekai finally joined! (too bad his level is so low that justifying using him in any real capacity at this point is going to be highly difficult)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
This was easily one of my favorite games when I was in High School. I played the hell out of every backstory.

And I was the kind of nerd who would wear a DragonForce (the game) tshirt to a DragonForce (the band) concert :v: