Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Do leaders gain new dialogue when they "rank up"? I noticed in that one battle Yuni actually said something threatening rather than just a Mew when in a pre-fight taunting phase. If it does that's pretty cool! Keeps things fresh even with leaders you've been using a long time.

Also drat, once you get one of those leaders with the assassin dagger that should really help tear through powerful enemy mages. Meanwhile it might be a better idea to set up leaders with melee armies against the Painn & Agoni assaults.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Do leaders gain new dialogue when they "rank up"? I noticed in that one battle Yuni actually said something threatening rather than just a Mew when in a pre-fight taunting phase. If it does that's pretty cool! Keeps things fresh even with leaders you've been using a long time.

Also drat, once you get one of those leaders with the assassin dagger that should really help tear through powerful enemy mages. Meanwhile it might be a better idea to set up leaders with melee armies against the Painn & Agoni assaults.

Honestly, I'm not sure if the pre-battle taunts change as people level up. If they do that's a nice touch, though.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I don't think they do, but they sometimes have choice words when dealing with certain people.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Sordas Volantyr posted:

Holy smokes, Gekai finally joined! (too bad his level is so low that justifying using him in any real capacity at this point is going to be highly difficult)

Level is often no obstacle, as much as raw troop count is. If you have 30+, you're viable, and it's very possible you might end up with spare awards even after giving everyone what they've earned, so if you like someone, you can work them up to being combat-capable and so earn more awards. Then again, fighting something you're strong against can very much make up for a troop difference if it's not too great. The extra moves from level up can be a factor, but it depends what those moves are and who you're facing. Some moves do take a little extra to get the most out of them. Holy Shield is an example.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Nov 4, 2018

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
This LP got me to dig out my copy of the game and I'd forgotten how much fun it really is. I loved playing this when I was younger. Currently steamrolling as Junon.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 12 - A Mysterious Encounter

We explore one of the nearby towers and put pressure on Fandaria in an effort to support our army attacking Topaz.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 13 - Holding Position

We trap some of Fandaria's forces, which is potentially a big blow to their overall power. However, one particular officer escapes.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I wonder if some factions/characters have hidden charisma scores that affect the chance those random search leaders will agree to join up. It's amazing how few of those are willing to become Beastest Buddies. At least you're great at capturing enemy generals! Except for Scythe anyway. Funny that she instantly managed to escape but you've still got a lich or two rotting (further) in various dungeon cells.

Also harpy troops, cool! What are they good against?

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I wonder if some factions/characters have hidden charisma scores that affect the chance those random search leaders will agree to join up. It's amazing how few of those are willing to become Beastest Buddies. At least you're great at capturing enemy generals! Except for Scythe anyway. Funny that she instantly managed to escape but you've still got a lich or two rotting (further) in various dungeon cells.

Also harpy troops, cool! What are they good against?

I think recruit chance is only based on the searcher's intelligence score, but I could be wrong. As far as harpies go, they're good against most melee troop types, but not so good against dragons and zombies, and "bad" against the ranged types. They're particularly weak in forest battles, getting a -50% terrain modifier, if I recall.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

rojogames posted:

As far as harpies go, they're good against most melee troop types, but not so good against dragons and zombies, and "bad" against the ranged types. They're particularly weak in forest battles, getting a -50% terrain modifier, if I recall.

Ah, so the opposite of Beastmen, guessing you said you'll give it to a Beast leader so they have a good option outside the forests.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)
Okay, Gekai gets props for scaring someone seven times his level into running away.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Ah, so the opposite of Beastmen, guessing you said you'll give it to a Beast leader so they have a good option outside the forests.

That and just for some visual variety.

Sordas Volantyr posted:

Okay, Gekai gets props for scaring someone seven times his level into running away.

And there I was thinking he'd never amount to anything.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

He held out for so long because he knows what he's worth.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
He's spent so many weeks in prison, the other generals can see that and are appropriately wary. Also he looks like some kinda demon samurai (ignore that that's the generic samurai leader sprite)

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Fhqwhgads posted:

This LP got me to dig out my copy of the game
:same:

rojogames posted:

This playthrough will be done with my physical copy of the game on a real Sega Saturn. I'll be upscaling the image 5x which will cut off a little bit at the top and bottom edges, but we won't be missing anything important.
Are you capturing from the HDMI out of an OSSC? Have you tweaked any OSSC settings other than the 5x linedoubling?

My 1080p monitor doesn't accept Line 5x and with Line 3x there are constant A/V dropouts when transitioning from the end battle screen back to the map but you don't seem to have those in your videos. Maybe it's just my monitor :shrug:

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Storm One posted:

Are you capturing from the HDMI out of an OSSC? Have you tweaked any OSSC settings other than the 5x linedoubling?

My 1080p monitor doesn't accept Line 5x and with Line 3x there are constant A/V dropouts when transitioning from the end battle screen back to the map but you don't seem to have those in your videos. Maybe it's just my monitor :shrug:

I'm using a Framemeister. I'd love to get an OSSC, but it seems like there is a fair amount of risk involved since a lot of TV's / capture devices don't like the signals it uses. Anecdotally, the El Gato HD60 that I'm capturing footage with doesn't seem to play very well with the OSSC, according to some reading I did awhile back.

The Framemeister isn't perfect either...my setup doesn't handle old framerates like 59.94 or whatever very well so sometimes you might see a little visual glitch or tick. Haven't found a way to fix it yet, but hopefully it's not super noticeable or distracting. As for Framemeister settings, I'm using one of Firebrandx's profiles. Don't think I've tweaked anything for this playthrough except the sync setting for the aforementioned reason.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
The culprit was the HDMI switch box, sending the OSSC output directly into the display removes the dropouts.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 14 - New Strongholds

We move further into Topaz territory and investigate the site of a ruined castle. However, Gaul and Scythe prove to be a persistent annoyance on the Fandarian front.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I managed to give the game a try yesterday, and here you spotted Laine this update. I ran into her early when testing out the game and dang she's an annoying character. Some of her dialogue is Working Designs at their worst.

Couple things I realized playing are

1. when recruiting for a leader it automatically adds as many troops as it can until either the leader is full or the castle is empty, so no 'okay I'll give this one 5 troops and that one I'll round up to 25' etc'... which explains some of your troop recruitment choices that I didn't really understand before.

2. boy I'm glad I happened to get a gamepad customized for fighting games, because its button config is also very similar to the Saturn's!

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I managed to give the game a try yesterday, and here you spotted Laine this update. I ran into her early when testing out the game and dang she's an annoying character. Some of her dialogue is Working Designs at their worst.

Couple things I realized playing are

1. when recruiting for a leader it automatically adds as many troops as it can until either the leader is full or the castle is empty, so no 'okay I'll give this one 5 troops and that one I'll round up to 25' etc'... which explains some of your troop recruitment choices that I didn't really understand before.

2. boy I'm glad I happened to get a gamepad customized for fighting games, because its button config is also very similar to the Saturn's!

Cool, glad you were able to play it for yourself. I think you'll enjoy what Yuni has to say about Laine at the beginning of the next episode.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)
At the rate Gekai's career is going you're gonna end up dumping one of the main party members so that Gekai can bring 100 Samurai to bear against the final boss. Honestly, I'm proud that this stubborn-rear end samurai's gone and gotten a castle for himself, the dude's probably earned it.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Zanzibar Ham posted:

The UI design in this game is rather terrible tbh. Allocating troops is a pita as you've noted and made worse by the fact that we're forced to watch the troop count slowly go up/down everytime.

Searching castles in Domestic is a major bore, it must be done one castle at a time and manually skip 2 character dialogue boxes, not to mention the menu clicks to get there. And they can't even be buffered, no "clicking A 2x, down once, A 3x and waiting for things to happen".

Cursor movement is laggy as gently caress, looking up a general's stats is a test of patience. Want to find a general with 64 INT to give a INT+6 power up so they can now search too? Have fun scrolling through a 50+ list and entering the stat screen one at a time! :suicide:

The mid point of the game has hour+ long map sessions as we're now seeing in this LP but by end game I spent more time in menu management than on the battle sections. Now I remember why when I played this game 20 years ago I postponed my 2nd playthrough.

Now getting ready to begin my 3rd as Fandaria :black101:

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Storm One posted:

The UI design in this game is rather terrible tbh. Allocating troops is a pita as you've noted and made worse by the fact that we're forced to watch the troop count slowly go up/down everytime.

Searching castles in Domestic is a major bore, it must be done one castle at a time and manually skip 2 character dialogue boxes, not to mention the menu clicks to get there. And they can't even be buffered, no "clicking A 2x, down once, A 3x and waiting for things to happen".

Cursor movement is laggy as gently caress, looking up a general's stats is a test of patience. Want to find a general with 64 INT to give a INT+6 power up so they can now search too? Have fun scrolling through a 50+ list and entering the stat screen one at a time! :suicide:

The mid point of the game has hour+ long map sessions as we're now seeing in this LP but by end game I spent more time in menu management than on the battle sections. Now I remember why when I played this game 20 years ago I postponed my 2nd playthrough.

Now getting ready to begin my 3rd as Fandaria :black101:

Those are some fair complaints. I think Dragon Force 2 improved the searching at least, based on some gameplay I saw. If I remember right, it seemed like castles got searched automatically at the end of every week so you just had to skip through the text boxes to see what you got.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The UI has a lot that could use fixing/improving, but playing this game, it's really cool and I wish even more that there was something like this with more modern sensibilities. It's a very accessible and nifty strategic game. Either that or a spiritual successor to Moonbase Commander with online multiplayer.

Also I lucked out and found a Dragon Crest week 3 or 4 (this game really sucked me in, kinda lost track of both game and RL time), so now Junon is gonna be the Dragon Emperor.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Zanzibar Ham posted:

The UI has a lot that could use fixing/improving, but playing this game, it's really cool
My post probably read as overly critical but I'm with you, I dragged my Saturn out of storage because of it.

rojogames posted:

I think Dragon Force 2 improved the searching at least, based on some gameplay I saw. If I remember right, it seemed like castles got searched automatically at the end of every week so you just had to skip through the text boxes to see what you got.
Good call on editing out the searching from your videos. I wish my console would play burned discs or my computer could emulate, I'd try that translation patch.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Speaking of Dragon Force 2, I looked into it recently and while it's supposed to be the same continent, the maps aren't even remotely the same. It's kind of weird. poo poo must really go down between games.

Dragon Force 1 Map
Dragon Force 2 Map

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Storm One posted:

My post probably read as overly critical but I'm with you, I dragged my Saturn out of storage because of it.

Good call on editing out the searching from your videos. I wish my console would play burned discs or my computer could emulate, I'd try that translation patch.

Ah, I don't actually edit out searching - not yet, anyway - since there's at least a modicum of excitement when you find a cool item, and we can get through it in under 2 minutes at the end of an episode. It feels like we've barely scratched the surface when it comes to stuff we can find because we keep trying to court these ninjas playing hard to get.

Awards are another story nowadays. I'd just horde them, but these whiners keep deserting and / or complaining about Modern King Gongos's working conditions.

marshmallow creep posted:

Speaking of Dragon Force 2, I looked into it recently and while it's supposed to be the same continent, the maps aren't even remotely the same. It's kind of weird. poo poo must really go down between games.

Dragon Force 1 Map
Dragon Force 2 Map

Wow, yeah. I can sort of maybe see a couple similarities, but for the most part it might as well be a different world.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Like Bozak, or whatever Gongos country is called, was in the southwest and now it's in the east, while the Highlands moves from the east to the south. Fandaria is in the same relative place, at least.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!

marshmallow creep posted:

Dragon Force 1 Map
Dragon Force 2 Map

Honestly, the art and overall sprite quality seems to have dived off in 2. I'm playing it now and everything is.. brown. Also the soldier sprites in 1 are way more fun to watch. In 2 they have maybe, I dunno, 2 frames of actual animation?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

They definitely shifted their priorities in the art department, I think.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 15 - Topaz Attacks!

We prepare to hold our newly gained territory as Topaz brings the fight to us.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 16 - An Error in Judgement

We take an opportunity to weaken Highland and send someone out to deal with a freelance officer.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
Ardor's a male general, should've sent Sophie. I've never seen Bastion get into a fight like he has here, when I approach him he auto joins my roster and backs off to Magicka on his own without getting into the battle screen.

However, the real error in judgment was leaving Yuni with too few troops, she would've wiped the floor with Shaia.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Storm One posted:

Ardor's a male general, should've sent Sophie. I've never seen Bastion get into a fight like he has here, when I approach him he auto joins my roster and backs off to Magicka on his own without getting into the battle screen.

However, the real error in judgment was leaving Yuni with too few troops, she would've wiped the floor with Shaia.

Whoa did not realize Ardor was male...that would explain some stuff. He could have at least said something about it like Mystal goes on about. As far as Yuni goes, yeah I should just keep her as close to topped off as possible because she wants to fight everyone always, without exception it seems.

Arban
Aug 28, 2017
Any reason you keep using flame cannon with Katt?

from the look of the menu, the golem has the same MP cost, slightly more power and hits the enemy troops as well as the commander.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Maybe flame cannon takes less from the special gauge, so she can cast another spell faster? I don't really know.

e: oh, also the golem can hit her own troops

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Arban posted:

Any reason you keep using flame cannon with Katt?

from the look of the menu, the golem has the same MP cost, slightly more power and hits the enemy troops as well as the commander.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Maybe flame cannon takes less from the special gauge, so she can cast another spell faster? I don't really know.

e: oh, also the golem can hit her own troops

Yeah I think her Flame Cannon recharges a bit faster at 10 power while the golem is 15...and can kill a few of her own troops when it spawns, though that can be avoided with a brief disperse command. I guess I should explain that the power of a skill refers to how much of the energy bar it uses, not how much damage it does, as far as I know. I believe damage is tied to int for spells (flame cannon) and str for physical skills (cross flash, maybe sonic boom, etc).

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
The power from the menu is the amount it drains the special gauge, the whole gauge is 30. Higher power = more time until next magic is ready.

I don't know if 1. there's any correlation between power and spell damage or 2. a flame cannon is a flame cannon regardless of who casts it or if some characters have more powerful spells.

E: F;B

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Oh, I'll admit I wasn't sure if the power was for the gauge or for strength. I wonder what affects the damage they deal then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arban
Aug 28, 2017
That explains it. Thank you.