Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)
Saul and Taulus being the same person was pretty dang funny, not gonna lie. You don't suppose Saul being the first non-Paine & Agonni general we've straight up killed is some kind of Highlander thing between those two, is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Sordas Volantyr posted:

Saul and Taulus being the same person was pretty dang funny, not gonna lie. You don't suppose Saul being the first non-Paine & Agonni general we've straight up killed is some kind of Highlander thing between those two, is it?

Don't know, but as far as I'm concerned the official canon may as well be that they both originated from the Highland faction.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 17 - Moving Troops

We continue to defend against Topaz's relentless assaults as we move troops into position to prepare for our counterattack.

Sorry things have been moving a bit slow for the past few episodes...I've been playing things pretty safe. Next time I'm going to attack Topaz regardless of our troop situation so we can move on with the story.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

What is the story at this point, actually? I feel like we started out having a reason to fight the samurai and when that ended we kind of just had a world war on our hands and we are plowing ahead without stopping to ask why.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
At this point? Fandaria has formally(messengers and all) declared total war on the world. Meanwhile, all the other nations have also been duped/incited into internal and external war. Take a leader(In this case, Gongos), and clean up this mess. Everyone else must fall. Don't die yourself.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Pretty sure Gongos has just been taking advantage of the turmoil caused by Fandaria to take a stab at world domination himself.

e: their intro was literally 'Heh, Fandaria announcing they'll be going to war against all the other kingdoms? What fools... but wait, if we did that it just might work! Hmm yes, yes...'

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!
Yeah at this point it sort of seems like Gongos is conquering the other kingdoms just so Goldark can't. My guess is the next big plot drop for the main story will come after we've defeated all the other kingdoms, but we'll see. At the very least we can probably look forward to seeing how Gongos gets duped by each ruler and their core officers.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 18 - Closing In

We maneuver a secondary army into position to cut off Topaz's escape, but Tristan decides it wants in on the action.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm really sad Randolph died, because his Sonic Boom quote is a Sinistar reference.

Oh, what could have been... :sigh:

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
Ensnare is great because aside from preventing escape, it freezes the power gauge. He cast the one sonic boom because the gauge was filled by default but it didn't recharge after casting.

Expecting to see some summon reaper action soon :unsmigghh:

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 19 - Tackling Topaz

We finally take the fight to Leon and learn of some strange happenings near one of the land's towers.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
How does the Reaper spell work? Does it reduce each commander's health to 1, or deal each commander their max health-1? It's an important distinction, because if it's the former then a better idea for a Reap & Switch tactic is probably to let the enemy leader use a skill (if they have an ability that hurts Katt or are likely to at least) before you use the reaper, so that you have a bigger retreat window.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Zanzibar Ham posted:

How does the Reaper spell work? Does it reduce each commander's health to 1, or deal each commander their max health-1? It's an important distinction, because if it's the former then a better idea for a Reap & Switch tactic is probably to let the enemy leader use a skill (if they have an ability that hurts Katt or are likely to at least) before you use the reaper, so that you have a bigger retreat window.

I believe it reduces each commander's hp to 1, regardless of current hp. I knew the risk of casting the spell when I did - I just wasn't expecting the AI to be so fast in their response, and I really wanted to see if it would actually work on leaders.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I actually noticed that as the game goes on the enemy seems to generally get quicker on the draw in their skill usage. Not talking about power charging faster, but for instance thief/ninja types seem to wait less time before dishing out the first power drain move in the match once their gauge is full.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 20 - The Shadow Tower

Gongos visits the Shadow Tower to discover what the locals are so concerned about, and there is potentially disturbing news regarding Fandaria.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

That skill that freezes soldiers in their tracks is really destructive if you still have a bunch of soldiers, goodness gracious.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Sordas Volantyr posted:

That skill that freezes soldiers in their tracks is really destructive if you still have a bunch of soldiers, goodness gracious.

Yeah I was pretty surprised...his troops got quite a few free shots on our guys, even with many of them holding position. There's also the relative command levels / animation advantages to consider, but the spell definitely made a big difference. Luckily Gongos is no slouch in a duel, and had a pretty decent chance of winning even if the health totals were closer to even.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!
Unfortunately my current graphics card is in the process of dying. I have a new one on the way, but I might not get another Dragon Force video out until Sunday. Just wanted to let you guys know.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 21 - Palemoon Offensive

Gongos moves toward the other tower, but Palemoon forces interfere.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
Scar is one of Junon's 4 starting generals but his alliance is more with killing Scythe than any particular kingdom. AFAIK he's the only story general who'll join other factions, including the player's if he's captured.

Regarding his personal quest, I wonder if it has a more substantial resolution than the couple of lines he trades with Scythe in the pre-battle screen. Maybe that's all there is to it but I'm hoping the LP will show the intended ending to his story.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Storm One posted:

Scar is one of Junon's 4 starting generals but his alliance is more with killing Scythe than any particular kingdom. AFAIK he's the only story general who'll join other factions, including the player's if he's captured.

Regarding his personal quest, I wonder if it has a more substantial resolution than the couple of lines he trades with Scythe in the pre-battle screen. Maybe that's all there is to it but I'm hoping the LP will show the intended ending to his story.

Yeah he's one of the more interesting characters. I don't recall if he has events outside of playing as Tristan, but I'll try to have him fight his nemesis.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Scar himself is a killable general if I recall.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Bloodly posted:

Scar himself is a killable general if I recall.

Yeah, I think you're correct, actually. He might be the only officer in the game that has an interesting story bit, but can also just straight up die.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 22 - Taking On Tristan

We take the fight to Tristan as Gongos continues traveling and heals up in preparation for his imminent encounter.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 23 - The Fiend Tower

Gongos reaches the Fiend Tower and has an interesting chat with the man, or perhaps creature, who has taken up residence there.

rojovision fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Dec 10, 2018

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
The fight with Vlad went much better than I was expecting, then I checked the troop types chart and beasts are on equal footing with zombies, I thought the latter had the advantage.
You could of course have cheated and gone into the fight with no troops at all, then it'd be a matter of winning the duel which Gongos here wouldn't have had much trouble with, I assume.

Also, had this game been released today Uryll and the rest of the Tradnor dream team would've been nerfed in a first week patch, no doubt.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Tradnor not being playable until you had beaten the game once is probably a decent enough excuse to let them be just a teensy bit busted. Same dealy-o with Fandaria's generals, probably.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!
It's just occurring to me that 3 kingdoms starting with 'T' is t-t-too many.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Sordas Volantyr posted:

Tradnor not being playable until you had beaten the game once is probably a decent enough excuse to let them be just a teensy bit busted.
But they are recruitable! For some reason only when playing as Tristan did they all refuse to join, otherwise once you capture them they're yours to command, at least Uryll, Gigg and Ardor.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 24 - The Cold North

Gongos and the rest of the Bozack crew meet Junon and what remains of Tristan in a fierce engagement.

I thought about scrapping this episode since I forgot about Scar, but something unusual happened so I kept it. Also just as a reminder try not to reveal any spoilers about Junon / Tristan (even if it isn't a huge deal)...I'm crossing my fingers I didn't slip up myself.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
RIP Gunter

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 25 - Highland Skirmish

Eyes set on capturing Scar, we test Highland's defenses.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
In the middle of the latest video, and augh that Reiner battle quote. I'm so glad there's enough groups publishing games from Japan here that we don't need WD-types anymore (though there's still some around sadly).

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Zanzibar Ham posted:

In the middle of the latest video, and augh that Reiner battle quote. I'm so glad there's enough groups publishing games from Japan here that we don't need WD-types anymore (though there's still some around sadly).

What, you never played Feet Fighter II? Honestly, neither have I, but I hear it's a real hidden gem.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 26 - Pushing Farther South

We continue to move into Highland Territory while keeping Palemoon boxed in.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 27 - All About Dragonmen

Gongos reaches the town he was heading for and meets someone interesting.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That sure was some dragon lore reveal alright. So was Legendra scheduled for destruction but Astea went 'nuh-uh' and stopped it?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

No. Madruk is one of several gods. The goddesses deal with creation, the gods with destruction. The gods command the Dragonmen in their task. So when Madruk needed some more muscle in the past war against Legendra, he called them up. Dragons as troops are strong against everything except Samurai, so they kicked about as much rear end as you'd expect.

Madruk's want, the nature of the gods and goddesses and why the first war started....isn't properly gone into in the game itself.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Dec 24, 2018

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Okay, so there's no agreement between the gods and goddesses as to when things are created and when things are destroyed? I guess if this is getting spoilery there's no need to answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

As far as is known, Madruk's both a rogue, and he's jealous. More than that, his sights are set far, far higher than merely the goddesses.

...On the CD if you stick it in a PC, there is a file. DISC_BIB.TXT. The following is a direct copy-paste.

---

quote:

1. Genesis (Legendra's creation.)

Legendra's Creation.

The ancients tell of the time before Legendra, there was God,
and his name was Toul.

Toul is known as the father of all living things. Toul loved
to create and give life to new things. However, he was alone.
Toul decided to make helpers for himself. He created six
beautiful Goddesses and six mighty gods. To the Goddesses he
gave the power to create, and the power of destruction was granted
to the gods. Toul was pleased with his creation, and he entered
into a deep sleep.

The Goddesses were given the power to create new life from the
dust of space. They began to create a universe full of stars, moons
and planets. These Goddesses placed all of these things under the
control of the Star Dragon.

The Star Dragon not only looked after the well-being of these celestial
creations, but he was also worked with the gods to turn back some of the
stars into dust. The Goddesses would then use this dust to create.
This cycle continued for generations.

Legend does state that once the six Goddesses and the six gods finish
creation, Toul will awaken to view their creation. Thus Toul will
be reborn.

The Legend of the Star Dragon

By means of Toul's will, the Star Dragon and the stars were
created.

The Star Dragon's life is connected to the stars. With the help
of the Goddesses, the Star Dragon governed over the vast universe
that they created. However, the Star Dragon, with the help of
the six gods, would also turn some of these stars back into dust.

When all of the stars have returned to dust, the Star Dragon
will also will turn to dust...

The Creation of Legendra
--As recorded by the Elf Tribe

-The Birth of Legendra-

This is the creation of Harsgalt, the Star Dragon.
Harsgalt decided to create a star and his creation
began to be known as Harsgalt's Star.

The six Goddesses and Harsgalt began to bless the star by turning
it into a beautiful planet. They divided the oceans and land
began to appear over the surface of the planet. In the middle
of the planet, there was a continent that was without equal. They
called the land, "Legendra." Legendra was so enormous that the four
seasons would take place somewhere on it all year round. Rivers began
to emerge and the land began to be clothed with vegetation.

-The Age of Life-

Astea, the foremost goddess, loved Legendra and blessed it.
She felt that something else was needed to make Legendra truly
beautiful. She then created three tribes: elves, humans, and
beasts. Each tribe was created from the appearance of a god.

The Elf tribe was created first. Astea gave them the will to
create and granted them a long life span. Secondly, Astea created
humans. She gave them a strong will and the desire to change
things for the better; however, they were only given a short life
span. At last, Astea created the Beast tribe. The beasts were more
barbaric looking than the other two tribes. Astea was pleased with
her creation that she decreed that she would continue to bless them
as long as they continued to live in peace.

When the other Goddesses saw how beautiful the land of Legendra was,
they left in search of a new star in which to create another world.
However, Astea decided to stay and bless this land.

Thus Legendra entered into a brilliant new era.

-The Invasion of Madruk-

The land of Legendra became very appealing to the gods,
especially Madruk. Madruk was the firstborn of the gods,
and he believed his power was without equal.

Madruk continued to look longingly at this world. With lust in
his eyes, he began to desire to rule this world. He knew that
only by destroying Astea and her sisters would he have enough
power to destroy the other gods. Upon their death, he would
claim their power. After claiming all of this power, he would
then be strong enough to destroy Toul.

Madruk brought forth fiends to destroy the tribes of Legendra;
however, these tribes, despite their weak appearance, banded
together. In many instances they proved stronger than Madruk's
minions.

Backed by Madruk's dark power, the fiends seemed to be without end.
Astea pleaded for Harsgalt to help her save the land of Legendra.
Harsgalt, however, refused to become directly involved in the conflict.
However, as the cries of the people began to reach clear up to the
heavens, Harsgalt decided to give eight Holy Warriors his dragon power.

These eight warriors led the three tribes in an all out war
against Madruk. They began to conquer the land that Madruk had
ripped away from them. The tide of the battle began to change
and the moral of the people of Legendra began to improve with each
passing battle.

However, in the heat of battle things began to go wrong. These
eight warriors began to become haughty and arrogant. They
began to take their power for granted. They felt that they
were the ones responsible for saving the land. Each one began
to lose sight of the escalating war and each began to desire to
rule over Legendra as an all powerful monarch.

Madruk's anger continued to blaze against the land of Legendra,
due to the fact, that they were able to stand against such a
mighty god. Madruk sent forth the dragonmen to destroy the
people. These dragonmen were once used to turn stars back
into dust. They were given the privilege of helping the Star
Dragon and the gods; however, under Madruk's control, they began
to grind the people into dust.

With the hope of the people fading, the eight warriors refused to
fight together. Clothed in pride, they each individually decide
to attack these dragonmen by themselves. Astea pleaded with these
warriors to work together. Only by their being united with the same
mind and purpose could they ever have the hope of destroying these
foul dragonmen. However, the warriors ignored her advice, and were
slaughtered. Now with no one to come and lead them to victory the
three tribes began to lose all hope.

Astea again pleaded with Harsgalt to intervene and save the people
of Legendra. Harsgalt's anger began to grow inside of him, and
guilt began to eat away at his soul. He decided that he would
help the people, but only briefly. Harsgalt came and sealed away the
power of the dragonmen. Without their power, the dragonmen were
defeated by the tribesmen.

Madruk, again was outraged. The people of Legendra continued
to fight, and in some cases they proved victorious over Madruk's
agents of death. Madruk was so angered by these seemingly weak
tribes that he entered the battle and began to turn the
rivers red with the blood of the three tribes.

Without the help of the dragonmen, Madruk began to question his
ability to achieve ultimate victory. However, Madruk's power
eventually proved too strong for the people. The people thus cried
to Astea for a miracle. In the darkest hour, Harsgalt lunged forth
to save his world.

Madruk knew that if he was able to kill the Star Dragon and claim
his power, then he would have enough power to kill Astea and her
sisters.

During the battle, the winds howled, the land quaked and the
oceans crashed. The battle between the Dark God and the mighty
dragon lasted for one thousand days. The people watched in awe
as these two battled for the destiny of their world.

Madruk's power was beginning to fade, and Harsgalt's strength
began to leave. In a rage of anger Madruk was able to unleash
a stunning blow to Harsgalt, ripping the dragon's golden wing
to shreds. Despite his critical injury, Harsgalt was able to
deliver one last blow. Harsgalt charged forth and sank his
fangs deep into Madruk's throat.

Both Harsgalt and Madruk were unable to continue the fight.
Harsgalt's injuries were to great to be ignored. In this
weakened state he was unable to conjure up enough power to
give the finishing blow to Madruk.

Astea, who had given much of her power to Harsgalt, was also
unable to kill the evil God. She was only able to give Harsgalt
enough power to seal away Madruk until the time would come
when eight chosen warriors would again emerge, this time to
slay Madruk himself.

The dragonmen, who were once used to aid Harsgalt and the six
gods, where no longer sealed by Harsgalt's power. Astea
decided that they could no longer stay in the land of Legendra.
So Astea took pity on them and sealed them away in the another
dimension inside Ruinledge Mountains.

Astea woke the eight ancient warriors from death and commanded
them to wait for eight new warriors to be born. When these
eight were to claim their power, the ancient warriors were to
instruct them not to make the same mistakes that they did.
Astea sealed the power of the eight warriors and gave it to
Harsgalt, who held the Dragon Power ready for the Eight Warriors of
the Dragon Force, who were soon to come.

After completing all of her tasks, Astea did not have enough
strength to leave this star or to call to her sisters for
help. Astea then laid down and entered into a light sleep.
She would sleep until the eight chosen warriors were born.
With the help of these warriors, hopefully, Madruk could be
destroyed...forever...