Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I do like how it’s consistent with demons’ inability to do an Australian accent, like with Vicky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I think the fake australian accent is very funny because its essentially what happens if you affect the broad australian accent with way too much enthusiasm instead of drawling it

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I think the fake australian accent is very funny because its essentially what happens if you affect the broad australian accent with way too much enthusiasm instead of drawling it

And really, if I wanted to be pedantic, you'd mostly get that sort of a broad accent in a regional area, rather than in Sydney, but that's splitting way more hairs than I'm already splitting.

New theory is that Australia is the real Bad Place.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
oh yeah 100% even past the western sydney red rooster line where people actually have broader accents they're still very different from the sort of comically broad rural ones that inform a lot of americans idea of our accents, its v funny to watch any australian that has broken through to the american market because they all have very broad accents when they play australians despite all being NIDA graduate sorts from Melbourne or Sydney

Here's a good example of how to do it right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGEYD92eA_s

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Sep 28, 2018

Jazz Police
Nov 6, 2009

It's your fault, man.
Watched the episode without commercials, and my Oh my God, TREVOR! squeak at the end was possibly only audible to dogs. So excited for the season.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
AAAAAAA TREVOR! :supaburn::neckbeard::ohdear:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Patrovsky posted:

Really, is that even a "theory"? :v:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
hahaha Tahani is wearing cargo pants.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Patrovsky posted:

This is what Australians call an edible fruit.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dendrocnide_moroides

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Did anyone catch the list of weird doctor names when Chidi looked at the directory on the wall to find Simone?

Dr. Pamela Watermelon
Dr. Pawwsten Bridgehampton
Dr. Nerlins Mrelk
Dr. Ginger Catapulp
Dr. Ginger Letitia Schrmpf
Dr. Fran van Plannaran

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Manny is yoked, must be that Top Gun money paying off.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

The monastery that Tahani went to was called "Bardo Monastery". Throwaway joke, or subtle foreshadowing?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I am so glad this show is back. :neckbeard:

Loved the Jason part with his dance group.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rocksicles posted:

Manny is yoked, must be that Top Gun money paying off.

More likely he had to get jacked FOR Top Gun.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

cptn_dr posted:

The monastery that Tahani went to was called "Bardo Monastery". Throwaway joke, or subtle foreshadowing?
It's foreshadowing that this season actually takes place in 2023, yeah.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Does selling fake medicine to the elderly and gullible pay a lot? Because a flight to australia followed by about a month's worth of motel rent in a university town can't be cheap for someone who used to share the rent with two other people.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'm sure that if Eleanor knows anything, it's life hacks.

Also she presumably made a bunch of money by selling those shirts of her friend.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
Yeah, obvious not-Australia populated by obvious not-Australians took me out of the show. Sure, I'll get over it by next week's first commercial break but it feels like they kneecapped themselves by moving there.

sticklefifer posted:

Did anyone catch the list of weird doctor names when Chidi looked at the directory on the wall to find Simone?
Mike Schur likes just smashing keys until a funny enough name pops up. "Nerlins" and "Schrmpf" are definitely NBA references though.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I realized why I didn't enjoy this week's opening as much- I'm more anxious in general right now and I don't want to feel anxious about my entertainment characters, especially Michael's gambit. Last season was somehow more relaxing because it was about the good guys quickly figuring out their prison and letting the wheels come of the bad guys' plan. The predicted path was upward, and this is more uncertain.

I'm still going to love it once some baseline is established, I'm sure. In the mean time, I'm going to chuckle at the 'frog thermos reaction'.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

double nine posted:

Does selling fake medicine to the elderly and gullible pay a lot? Because a flight to australia followed by about a month's worth of motel rent in a university town can't be cheap for someone who used to share the rent with two other people.

Sydney is one of the most expensive places to live in the world. You'd struggle to find an apartment to rent for less than maybe 600 a week. My friend pays 900 for a very modest albeit inner city apartment. You could get a bunk in a backpackers hostel for $50-60 a night; but given the reference to a pull out couch, she's in a proper motel. The cheapest you'd get in a really lovely area is maybe $120 a night

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Lord Bude posted:

Sydney is one of the most expensive places to live in the world. You'd struggle to find an apartment to rent for less than maybe 600 a week. My friend pays 900 for a very modest albeit inner city apartment. You could get a bunk in a backpackers hostel for -60 a night; but given the reference to a pull out couch, she's in a proper motel. The cheapest you'd get in a really lovely area is maybe a night

Sydney crew. I'm ordering Manoosh, you want in?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

heh. You know what that reminds me of? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cy2mN0OSb3k (warning potato recording)

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Perhaps, but if we expect it to follow real world rules, Jason would not have been issued a visa.

Also a Friends reference from S1.

E: beaten.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Collateral posted:

Perhaps, but if we expect it to follow real world rules, Jason would not have been issued a visa.

I feel like this is the sort of thing Michael is there to smooth over, though.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Rocksicles posted:

Sydney crew. I'm ordering Manoosh, you want in?

I actually live in Brisbane; sorry. I just visit friends and relatives in Sydney every year or so. I can't do it more often - travelling to Sydney is detrimental to my health. When I drove down in May I put on 8kg in 2 and a half weeks.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Collateral posted:

Also a Friends reference from S1.

E: beaten.

That's an easy one to fix. He just has to say he's an Au Pair.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

he's luggage

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

cptn_dr posted:

Clearly it's a reference to Bardo Pond

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I liked this premiere a lot, but lost interest sort of during Jason's bit and some of the end. Not sure if that's the show itself or my exhaustion from bronchitis tbf.

Very much looking forward to the rest of the season tho!

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Quick question, what would an mri show if you had it scan a demon?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

double nine posted:

Quick question, what would an mri show if you had it scan a demon?

It's going to show a normal human because they are powerful and not idiots.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

It's going to show a normal human because they are powerful and not idiots.

booo. What a boring answer (you're probably right)

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Janet didn't seem very Janet-y.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Found this on MEJ's twitter . He plays Shawn.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

muscles like this! posted:

Just Google "crystals that prevent erectile dysfunction"

That's definitely my pick for best line of the episode.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Your Taint posted:

Janet didn't seem very Janet-y.

She's evolving!

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Lord Bude posted:

I actually live in Brisbane; sorry. I just visit friends and relatives in Sydney every year or so. I can't do it more often - travelling to Sydney is detrimental to my health. When I drove down in May I put on 8kg in 2 and a half weeks.

Yeah pregnancy is everywhere down here.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Hooray it's out on hulu :toot:

- I already saw the first scene, but it's still great.
- Of course Eleanor pronounces it "jiff" :argh:
- what the hell is that accent, Ted Danson - relatedly, Janet can lie
- SHAWN! :neckbeard:
- Okay I like Simone.
- this episode is moving hilariously fast, I love it
- Michael's really good at the sleazy scam artist, surprisingly
- less good at fake human names
- Jason is still perfectly conveying the atmosphere of Jacksonville
- TREVOR!? :stare:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Hahaha, on the podcast Jameela is so pissed about Simone getting in the way of Chidi and Eleanor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Michael's a demon, of course he does skeezy scam artist