Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The one thing we know for sure is that none of the four humans qualify to make it into the good place. Chidi was definitely a good person, Tahani and Jason were flawed but they certainly weren't bad people, even Eleanor doesn't deserve to be tortured for eternity.

Either there is a twist to the story, or the requirements are actually really high if you want to get into the good place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Michael seems to be over the phase where every human experience is fun and exciting. Which is fine since those jokes were never that funny to begin with, in my opinion.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I think this is the first episode of the show that I haven’t really found funny, it was good but it felt a little like a rehash.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I am surprised that nobody mentioned that the opening was a huge Lost reference.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
As much as I like Pushing Daisies, two seasons was enough, I don't think it could have sustained a third one.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The only small problem I have is how long it has taken Michael to realize that the point system is completely screwed up, since it was clear to us viewers after the first few episodes.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

pseudorandom name posted:

Season one of Veronica Mars is some excellent TV, despite stunt casting Paris Hilton. Seasons two and three are decent (they clearly didn’t have any idea beyond season one’s murder mystery when they created the show).

I disagree slightly, the first two seasons are great, but season two is absolutely the show at its best (less Lilly and Duncan)

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Taear posted:

Exactly though. Who cares if it's 1400 years when it's Jeremy Bearimy years?
After all they've been in the afterlife for at least 300 years and it's still 2018.

Jeremy Bearimy doesn't mean that time doesn't pass on earth, it obviously does since the show takes place more or less around our current time, It just means that time in the afterlife doesn't nessecarily follow earth time. Given Michael's reaction to the news, I thought it was pretty obvious that it was 1400 earth years.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Given that we now know the system is flawed, I wonder how many of the four humans would still end up in the bad place under a more fair system (the people they were in episode 1).
Eleanor is a bad person but does she deserve to be tortured for eternity? Chidi is fundementally a good person who just has a little trouble making a decision from time to time, he should be in the good place.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I was a little confused by Jen's comment about being black, but apparently Maya Rudolph's mother is african american.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Besides messing Chidi, Simone seems like an odd pick. From everything we know she is a nice and kind person, and doesn't seem like the type who would need moral philosophy lessons.

The only thing I didn't like about the episode is that wiping Chidi's memories also once again resets his relationship with Eleanor. It's an annoying and common practice on tv to constantly tease two main characters getting together in order to get views and talk among the fans, but never actually going through with it because the writers never know what to do afterwards. So I really hope they actually know what they want to do with the relationship.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

ashpanash posted:

It's hard on the writers, /hard on the actors

I would think it was harder to have to get a part time job. Bell and Danson probably make good money but can the rest of the main cast live off of just 12 episode seasons? Can the writers?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

pile of brown posted:

Is that a serious question?

Very serious, I have no idea what tv actors make. Obviously Kristen Bell and Ted Danson are well known to the general public and can pick and choose between roles, and the paycheck reflects that but the rest of the cast is fairly unknown.
And even if they make plenty of money, can a tv writer live off of just doing a single 12 episode show?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

the main cast are gonna be getting like 5-6 figs per episode

I was thinking maybe 2-3000$ per episode, so clearly I was way off

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Klungar posted:

Watch "Russian Doll" if you need your Good Place fix.

I liked Russian Doll but I don't really see what the two have in common other than a superficial storyline about resets.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The main character in Russian Doll is not very sympathetic at first, but it gets better.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Four seasons seems like the perfect end point.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
AP Bio should have focused on the kids, instead of the teachers.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
It probably sounds silly, but I always half-assumed that these kinds of things were free. I mean it’s basically a big advertisement for the show.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I find Schur's work very uneven. I dropped Brooklyn 99 after the first season and Parks and Rec is about 50% split between bad and good seasons.
But I will give the new show a shot purely because of the Good Place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

swickles posted:

Parks and Rec had a drop like any show that goes more than 4 seasons does, but finished strong and is more good than bad. B99 is great and what I am trying to say is that you are human form of the 0 emoji.

I agree that Parks and Rec came back strong, but part of the reason the last season was so good was because it had been pretty bad for 1-2 seasons before that, and everybody was expecting more of the same.

I just have weird opinions when it comes to american comedies. I absolutely loved Glee when it first came on, but it started going downhill during the later parts of season 1. And that is how I feel about most of them, Better off Ted and the Good Place are the only two exceptions.