Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

double nine posted:

Does selling fake medicine to the elderly and gullible pay a lot? Because a flight to australia followed by about a month's worth of motel rent in a university town can't be cheap for someone who used to share the rent with two other people.

Sydney is one of the most expensive places to live in the world. You'd struggle to find an apartment to rent for less than maybe 600 a week. My friend pays 900 for a very modest albeit inner city apartment. You could get a bunk in a backpackers hostel for $50-60 a night; but given the reference to a pull out couch, she's in a proper motel. The cheapest you'd get in a really lovely area is maybe $120 a night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Rocksicles posted:

Sydney crew. I'm ordering Manoosh, you want in?

I actually live in Brisbane; sorry. I just visit friends and relatives in Sydney every year or so. I can't do it more often - travelling to Sydney is detrimental to my health. When I drove down in May I put on 8kg in 2 and a half weeks.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Collateral posted:

Perhaps, but if we expect it to follow real world rules, Jason would not have been issued a visa.

Also a Friends reference from S1.

E: beaten.

That's an easy one to fix. He just has to say he's an Au Pair.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Rocksicles posted:

Yeah pregnancy is everywhere down here.

Sure if you stretch the definition of pregnancy to include someone carrying around a couple of El Jannah chickens and $100 worth of hotpot. (that was just by day 2 mind you).

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Rocksicles posted:

You came all this way and didn't get baked and sit at Harry's snarfing down chilli fries all day like it was your job?

Always next time.

Not an optimal use of a Sydney trip. Brisbane is very highly saturated with American restaurants - they've been the number 1 fad for a number of years now and we have far more of them than Sydney. There are 7 American restaurants within walking distance of my house and all of them serve chilli fries. In general we also have just as good, or possibly better chinese food; with the exception of Hotpot which appears to be super common in Sydney but very rare in Brisbane.

What sets Sydney apart from the other capitals is the very substantial, and very highly concentrated Middle Eastern population in the western suburbs; therefore any trip to Sydney needs to focus on the consumption of Middle Eastern and Afghan food. There is very little Middle Eastern Cuisine in Brisbane. And of course Hotpot; since there isn't much of that here. Finally; Sydney has Cow and the Moon Gelato in Enmore, which won best Gelato in the world a few years back - The need to hit that daily dictates much of my other travel plans. I'm proud to report I consumed 21 scoops of gelato during my 2 weeks in Sydney itself.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Lutha Mahtin posted:

imo anyone who says "American food" and can't spell "chili" is going to the bad place

I'm well aware of the various regional cuisines of the United States, but here in Australia it's like chinese food in the 1970s - dozens of restaurants springing up serving a hodgepodge of barbeque, US style burgers, soul food, creole, buffalo wings and a smattering of things like chilli dogs and chilli fries and philly Cheesesteaks. Some of these places also serve poutine; which is of course Canadian (and vastly superior to chilli fries:can:) We're only just starting to come out the other end with restaurants that are actually specifying a cuisine and sticking to it; but these are rare.

Chili vs Chilli is a regional spelling difference I think. I have my dictionary set to Australian English and both are apparently correct.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Lutha Mahtin posted:

lol trevor is such a dipshit

jason and tahani though, i feel both good and bad for them in this awful bar

e:

also please note that just a couple days ago we were discussing "american" restaurants in australia???????????? what

Some of them are pretty much exactly what was depicted here. Places like that are practically the biggest food craze in the country. I can walk to maybe 7 of them from my house.

There's this new food truck near me that serves soft serve ice cream; but the cone is a donut.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I know it's a joke menu but good god were those prices chosen by someone who's never eaten in Australia, let alone Sydney. That restaurant would go broke in a matter of months. I particularly like the three dozen wings for the price most places would charge for 6; and the 'pay once eat all day' offer; on Sunday; the day when everyone in the restaurant is getting time and a half. Those burger meals are cheaper than Mcdonalds I think.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

tarlibone posted:

So let me get this straight:

This menu contains items like "Grand Canyon Dog: A two foot 'freedom' baguette, hollowed out and filled with hot dogs, mac & cheese, bacon and our world famous brown mustard and spicy wasabi chilli. Served with an onion ring tower and our world famous apple ranch dressing" and "Ol' Faithful: Every 10 minutes your water will fire a blast of our world famous beefy beef chilli into your mouth from a fire extinguisher. We will keeping [sic] firing until you tell us to stop!"... and your takeaway is that the prices are unrealistic?

(I'm just kidding. My takeaway was that they didn't use an Oxford comma, and there are other grammatical mistakes.)

Obviously the ol' Faithful is ridiculous but I'd totally eat the Grand Canyon Dog.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Maybe Simone's terrible accent is actually a clue that she's a good person agent pretending to be an Australian woman.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

eke out posted:

need a gif of shirtless chidi swiping spam into his basket

Fun Fact. A guy wandering around a supermarket shirtless is perfectly acceptable here in Australia. I work retail and I see at least a couple a day. So Chidi isn't being weird at all by our standards; and he certainly wouldn't be told he can't be in the store without a shirt. It's also very common for people to not bother wearing shoes.

I'm a little disappointed though that they went to the trouble of using actual Australian currency for the scene in the bar with the wallet but then they couldn't be bothered making at least a small effort to make that supermarket look like it belongs in Australia.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

uvar posted:

I don't know whether it was actually off-model or something, but I swear our currency looked almost like fake money most of the time it showed up, especially when Jason was handing it out. Randomly-coloured notes with a big number in one corner? Don't be ridiculous.

Also either I've got used to the accents or they were hiring more actual Australians, I'm sure I recognised one or two of them. (fake edit: not who I thought he was but yep)

The notes we got a close up of from the dude's wallet were real. Those were the ones I was referring to. No idea about the ones Jason was handing out, we never really got a great look at them.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

LongDarkNight posted:

Janet knows kung fu.

Janet knows Literally Everything. Kung fu is a subset of Literally Everything.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I think a more likely, (and arguably better) direction for the show would be rather than having the bad place interfering with the system, reveal that the system itself has naturally become flawed - maybe as humanity expanded and society grew more complex it became harder and harder to get points vs lose points, such that fewer and fewer people were getting in until it eventually stopped. The system is broken because its expanded too far beyond the original scope.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I'm pretty sure if you're still pants making GBS threads at 3 you've already missed a developmental milestone.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

King of Foolians posted:

The 3rd season is still airing. Netflix (in the US, at least) almost NEVER adds a season until it’s completely aired on regular tv.

When netflix is the licenced distributor for a show outside the US; episodes are generally added each week within a few hours of the US airing - in Australia it does this for the good place; black lightning, Star trek discovery, etc. In those Countries Netflix is where the show airs first.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Reminder: New episode today!

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Piell posted:

What if Kamilah is one of the new 4

Please let this happen

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Your Taint posted:

Is Thursday the season finale?

Yes. I'm devastated.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Ted Danson was on the Orville this week.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

kumba posted:

yeah, that book came out fourteen years ago holy gently caress do i feel old

I remember it to this day. It was the first Harry Potter book that came out after I started reading the series. I got up at 5am to go wait in a line at borders that wrapped around the block; got home around 10am to start reading it; and had it finished by dinner time.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Being Vegan and eating an imitation meat product instead of actual food -100 points.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Is there anywhere for people outside the US to watch the webisodes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

In Australia it airs on Netflix exclusively and they have new episodes within 24 hours of the US airing.