Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rocksicles posted:

Manny is yoked, must be that Top Gun money paying off.

More likely he had to get jacked FOR Top Gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

double nine posted:

not gonna lie, was also a bit defensive about it and then the MRI scene happened and the cuteness of it all overwhelmed me (and Eleanor being on board in the driver's seat with it all).

I almost think she WAS jealous, until she realised that Chidi was too much of a wuss to actually go for it, and that meant she could play matchmaker, and thus be 'better' than Chidi at something. Plus she was probably an awesome wing-woman at the bars her friends and her used to hit.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
RE: the podcast I dunno, Stalin's Bachelor recap podcast sounds like a good time.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The snorkel is really great, because it tells a lot about Jason in such a small detail. Like, he knows that a snorkel helps you breathe in places where it's hard to breathe normally, but he hasn't quite made it to WHY it does that.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
That's honestly probably why that line's there. Either side can take it as proof that Eleanor's gotten better or is still trash.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The next step is Michael going down full-time, right? The Judge makes is a competition where Trevor and Michael try and pull the group to their side, maybe with Janet as a referee?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The answer to "...what's good?"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

precision posted:

I would send The Rock so many drunk texts

I feel like his entry is a rare misstep for the show. Tahani would absolutely call him Dwayne.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

double nine posted:

I mean ... the group already rehabilitated one demon. Why stop there?

MEJ pointed it out on the podcast but that cliffhanger worked so well because Scott wasn't in douchebro mode. He was in Ben Wyatt mode.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

double nine posted:

... wait, reading up on this I think I actually watched the first episode and came away feeling very neutral about the whole deal. Is this like Blackadder where the first season is wildly different from the rest of the series in tone and/or quality?

Parks & Rec was originally conceived as a spin-off/sequel to The Office, so Amy Poehler's character is treated as basically a lady Michael Scott for the first 3-4 episodes, before they realise she's much funnier and more endearing as a sort of hyper-competent and friendly bulldozer that just happens to work in this part of local government that most would think is lame and unimportant.

They course correct through early season 2 and then adjust again by bringing in 2 new regulars, including Adam Scott, at the end of season 2, to replace one guy who wasn't working. From about mid season 2 to early season 5 the show is gold, and it's still consistently entertaining and heartwarming until the end.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Teddybear posted:

Yeah, it gets more character driven in season 2, and it’s much less cringe comedy than season 1. Honestly, from season 2 on, the show holds up through the finale.

I think that's kind of what hurt Ann (Rashida Jones' character) in the long run though. She's kind of built to be kind of a cringe comedy character and the rest of the show turns into something more akin to B99 or TGP.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

precision posted:

Tahani is Eagleton personified

I'm not sure Tahani's ever had a line as perfectly upper-class privilege as the HBO gag Bell got in P&R.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

swickles posted:

If April Ludgate Dwyer is the chief demon I will lose my poo poo.

April's Bad Place is being told she made to the Good Place, over and over and over. By Chris and Ann.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I like the implication that Trevor took the gig in season 1 because it let him rag on Michael and it counted as work.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Harper is so good, which is not a surprise, but his little quiver when he sees how hurt Eleanor is when her big speech didn't work? :cry:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Apparently this is much closer to how Will Harper is in real life, compared to regular Chidi.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Speaking of the podcast, was that D'Arcy doing the VO for the ad this week?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I also like how their podcast appearances imply that Megan and D'arcy regress to being about 12 mentally when they're together. They're basically giggling about puns and boys and making fun of Marc the whole time.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Is it just me or was this episode much more direct than they've been before about Eleanor being bi? She very specifically says 'people' and Janet just says 'exes' when she's talking about ghosting, plus her obvious hitting on virtual Simone. And even her being kind of annoyed at how quickly Chidi dismissed the idea when she threw it out as an excuse he could use.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

I don't think they've been indirect about it before, she was pretty explicit about her attraction to Tahani. Hell Tahani was even her soulmate in one of the iterations.

Previous episodes kind of felt like it was more going for the 'Tahani's so pretty even straight girls are into her'. Sort of like Leslie's infatuation with Ann on P&R. This is the first time Eleanor being into women was brought up outside that context and it just came off to me like the writers wanting to make it explicit that she is queer.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

In the podcast, Manny says this whole handshake sequence was made up 10 minutes prior by him and Eugene (Pillboi's actor). That's insane.

Apparently he and the people in Dance Dance Resolution only had like half a day to learn their choreography from the season premiere. Manny's just really, really good at putting this stuff together quickly.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

JossiRossi posted:

It felt like Tahani's "What a weird creep, why was I ever friends with him?" about Elon Musk might have been an adlib. Or a Jameela Jamil request.

Jameela did seem to be just shy of corpsing as she delivered it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Wasn't that also when Shawn was pretending to be the Judge?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Wylie posted:

"French Pressing Nemo" is a good name for an Australian coffee shop, sure, but I feel they completely whiffed on the opportunity for "Grinding Nemo."

That's obviously the name of a Sydney night- and/or strip-club.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CPColin posted:

Wasn't it Blake?

Netflix subtitles had it as Blake, and he was in a little Jags jersey (anyone know if it's Bortles' number on it?).

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
At this point, I wouldn't be shocked if the 99th precinct gets phasers this season.

(Holt would insist on calling them the boring real world name the eggheads give them. Rosa would pretend like she isn't down with them right until someone blows a hole in a wall. And Jake and Amy would probably jointly be stoked because I feel like Star Trek would be a thing they'd be into as a couple)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

pwn posted:

THEN there’s a month or so with no new episodes - December 13th and 27th are reruns, 20th is a series finale of Timeless ( :woop: ), and January 3rd is a two-hour premier of that Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson competition show, The Titan Games. The Good Place returns January 10 at 9:30/8:30c, after the season premiere of Brooklyn Nine-Nine (Titan Games runs in the 8/7c slot.)

01.10 The Book of Dougs
01.17 Chidi Sees the Time-Knife
01.24 Pandemonium

:siren: NINE NINE! :siren:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rarity posted:

Excuse me, I think you guys mean the final dungeon in FF2 :colbert:

This would require anyone to have played Final Fantasy 2, which is clearly untrue. Stop lying Rarity. Lying is minus 317 points.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

Heh, I recognized Michael McKean by the back of his head.

I honestly wonder if part of the reason he was shortlisted for Doug was because Doug's life makes him oddly similar to Chuck McGill.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The fight scene was so good because they got the fight coordinator from the Bourne movies.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SirSamVimes posted:

I mean "Jianyu" was supposedly worthy of the Good Place

That's assuming Michael based that on a real person and it wasn't just an elaborate insult to Jason.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Pushing Daisies wasn't even killed by ratings. It was killed by the writer's strike, just like Terminator: The Sarah Conner Chronicles was (another great show that should've been around much longer)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

uvar posted:

Do we know if that's true, or is it just what Michael thinks? Points for an action apparently never change, perhaps a few things that got assigned negative points the first time they happened centuries ago are super common now. Maybe the first person to sleep alone on a mattress got penalised because they didn't want to share it and gave somebody else an uncomfortable night, or... I can't think of any good examples.

Oh hey, "The most recent resident of The Good Place arrives." is on the year's Wiki page, I wonder how long that will stay.

I think the idea is that the point values haven't changed, but maybe the Bad Place hacked the threshold figure for getting into the Good Place. So the same amount of points that used to get you in, now doesn't.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Powered Descent posted:

Finally got to see the latest episode.

Holy cow, one Emmy for D'Arcy Carden, please. A few episodes back, I was impressed by Simone's actress briefly channeling Eleanor so well, but D'Arcy managed to pull off that same trick for four characters for an entire episode, completely convincingly.

Chidi and Eleanor are actually the hardest ones to pull off, too. With Tahani and Jason you have the clothes and voice which do about half the work. But Eleanor's gag mocking Tahani's grudging acceptance of the dress Janet gave her was uncannily good. Like, I know it's Carden, but it FEELS like Bell.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I really, really want the whole cast of The Good Place to guest on the new season of Veronica Mars, but I know it would be distracting.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Taear posted:

So time still progresses somehow on Earth and it's still 2018 even though 300 years have passed.
Which I'm down with, I just think that them trying to explain it has sorta made it worse than if they'd just left it hanging.

I'm actually curious. What did you think the point of the Jeremy Bearimy scene/concept was? Because you obviously got something different out of it than the majority of viewers.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

Nothin till January 10

But then NINE NINE followed by TGP! :haw:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
ALERT!

:siren:The Emmys just changed the rules to unfairly bias the awards against Megan Amrams:siren:

https://twitter.com/meganamram/status/1073473545114533889

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

King of Foolians posted:

The 3rd season is still airing. Netflix (in the US, at least) almost NEVER adds a season until it’s completely aired on regular tv.

That's for shows that it doesn't have first-run rights for. Here in the UK, Netflix airs TGP like 6 hours after it airs on NBC. Same as Better Call Saul, Star Trek Discovery and a bunch of other shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's interesting because Amazon goes with delineating shows they commisioned as Amazon Originals vs Amazon Exclusive if they just bought distribution rights for a region, but Netflix tags everything as a Netflix Original regardless of origin.