Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I liked this premiere a lot, but lost interest sort of during Jason's bit and some of the end. Not sure if that's the show itself or my exhaustion from bronchitis tbf.

Very much looking forward to the rest of the season tho!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Shawn is indeed terrible. Shaun, however, is just fine!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I really hope they don't lean into the love triangle stuff with Chidi - Eleanor and Simone were adorable together in the MRI both, and it's really nice just to see people being friends without any baggage

100% more invested in Chidi and Simone than I was Eleanor and Chidi after one episode lol, they just go so well together. I hope it doesn't go love triangle-y and they go another route if/when Eleanor and Chidi hook up again.

But now she's free to bed Tahani clearly !!!

Though with Chidi's indecision issues a love triangle is kind of perfect for him tbh.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Aerox posted:

I expected the reverse -- that as an act of charity she'd invite Eleanor out of the motel so that she could be "good" but still not actually give anything up.

Either option could still happen, assuming we're sticking around in Australia for a while and they don't whisk us off to the next thing this week lol

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Clearly Trevor and Eleanor need to hook up as a Party Down reference.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Parker Posey is perfect in everything

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Josie and the Pussycats is a sorely underrated movie imho that way too many people took at face value when it came out.

Dare I say it was before its time ????

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Edmund Lava posted:

I wouldn’t. That movie was the perfect time capsule of pre-911 early aughts.

Yeah true, it's too attached to that time period in general to actually be before its time. But the tone it took was one I think people might be more open to now, if that makes sense?

It's such a loving fun, good film. It's not perfect but it's hilarious and does its job well imo.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Rocksicles posted:

I too like attracitive women in denim skirts and plaid shirts..:hfive:

Me three

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

precision posted:

Maybe the rules are made up and the points don't matter...?

Now I want Drew Carey to be w/e the creator of this universe is.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Senor Tron posted:

Pushing Daisies would have smashed a third season and I still hold out hope a decade+ later.

:same:

It helps that, to me, PD seems like the project Fuller still holds the most affection for.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Wonderfalls was great. They're both amazing but PD edges it out juuust a bit for me.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Gaz-L posted:

Pushing Daisies wasn't even killed by ratings. It was killed by the writer's strike, just like Terminator: The Sarah Conner Chronicles was (another great show that should've been around much longer)

T:SCC was killed by Dollhouse (tho they were both in danger due to ratings/strike). FOX was only going to renew one half of that double feature and went with Whedon.

As much as I really do enjoy S2 of Dollhouse I'm still butthurt over that.

e: also yeah iirc PD had great ratings before the strike

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Also the first half of SCC season 2 was glacial as gently caress, I don't blame them for cancelling it before it suddenly became awesome again.

The first bit was good. The middle chunk was that big Sarah like three parter that unfortunately went nowhere and ground the season to a halt til she stopped her wild goose chase.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, I believe so.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I care so, so little about the Chidi and Eleanor romance so this finale fell pretty flat for me. It really does feel mostly like setup for next season, which is fine imo if they run with this concept for more than a couple episodes. Love how fast the show burns thru plot but I am getting tired of them changing the premise every other episode. Eleanor and Michael running fake Good Place is too good an idea to speed past!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Jesus christ how many shows can one person make at the same time :psyduck:

the Ryan Murphy method of television production

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Oasx posted:

I liked Russian Doll but I don't really see what the two have in common other than a superficial storyline about resets.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The Eleanor comparison doesn't really sit for me, either, other than the two characters being self destructive shitbags, which isn't exactly a trait original to those two. Maybe if Eleanor wasn't a network TV character I could see her being a much darker character like Nadia is in Russian Doll, but they're not really all that alike to me beyond the surface stuff. Alan doesn't give me Chidi at all.

That said everyone should watch Russian Doll, even if I wouldn't personally recommend it by comparing it to The Good Place.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Rarity posted:

Russian Doll is comparable to The Good Place because they're both real loving good

That comparison I can get behind! Tho I think Russian Doll is better.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The season is only four hours, so it moves fairly quick. If it doesn't grab you by episode 2 or 3, then it might not be for you. I'd give it those couple more episodes.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

silvergoose posted:

watch the last episode of the first season as my introduction.

:yikes:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The_Doctor posted:

Ok I finished Russian Doll, and want to talk about it with others. I can’t find a thread so I’m going to make one.

Hell yeah.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I've been p bored of Jason for nearly two seasons now, yeah. He's still very funny but the schtick wears thin when he barely grows as a character otherwise.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Squidster posted:

The issue isn't that people dislike the archetype of the dumb sweet friend, it's that the character reached the end of his arc in season 1. His punchlines might vary a little, but there's no uncertainty with him, no chance of growth. Chidi and Eleanor are simply defined by their core struggles of Indecision and Selfishness, but they're both trying to overcome their nature. What's Jason working to overcome?

Compare him to Andy from Parks and Rec. Andy was a fuckup who slept in a pit, got a job, worked hard, got married, and became a success. We saw him slowly become more responsible and less selfish, integrating into his community, all while remaining dumb as a post.

Not being tormented by inner struggle is a great feature of real human beings, but not always in entertaining characters.

Yeah, this. I don't dislike Jason or think he has zero depth, nor do I not understand the gags. I'm just mostly over the schtick because it's been three seasons and he has very little growth compared to, say, Tahani. Which is fine because Jason is in a good place as a person to not have much personal growth to do other than how dumb as a rock he is-- he's already a good person who seems to have always meant well, but always goofed it up. But that doesn't mean I can't be kinda bored by it lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I feel like Chidi was way more uptight in season 1 and 2 personally, but yeah he hasn't had much more growth than Jason. Chidi is also not one of my favourites along w Jason tbh. Tho they are both still great!

Like I'm mostly splitting hairs when I complain about this show, b/c even the stuff I am not as hype on any more is still quality.