Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
welp closing this tab until it comes out on hulu-or-whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Hooray it's out on hulu :toot:

- I already saw the first scene, but it's still great.
- Of course Eleanor pronounces it "jiff" :argh:
- what the hell is that accent, Ted Danson - relatedly, Janet can lie
- SHAWN! :neckbeard:
- Okay I like Simone.
- this episode is moving hilariously fast, I love it
- Michael's really good at the sleazy scam artist, surprisingly
- less good at fake human names
- Jason is still perfectly conveying the atmosphere of Jacksonville
- TREVOR!? :stare:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

howe_sam posted:

If Janet doesn't spend sometime next to the giant fuckoff magnets in that mri machine I don't what the show is good for.

You're an awful person for wanting Janet to be hospitalized for magnet poisoning.

and also you are 100% correct

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

I think that without most of the people in charge realizing it yet, this whole experiment with these four humans just keeps snowballing and has the potential to upend the entire way the afterlife functions. Sean is doing what he's doing, not out of official capacity, but because he personally can't stand that they got away, and now they're interfering on Earth in a way that (presumably) isn't allowed.

Very excited to see where this all goes.

Sean knocked it out of the park this episode.

although I wish we knew how he got out of the unmarked catacomb room he was hoping to extrajudicially imprison Michael in

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

precision posted:

I think a big clue in that direction was the line "we torture 30 billion humans, who cares about these four?"

Incidentally, the rough estimate of all humans who have ever lived is a bit north of 100 billion.

And since when has this show played fast and loose with time?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Patrovsky posted:

After she deleted The Edge, Tom Cruise popped up at the bottom as well.

I love this show so much.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

I don't think the Jacksonville jokes will ever get stale

...Jokes?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

this wasn't entirely my favorite episode but the judge chewout is making up for it

lol :stare:

"Good luck, frogman. Pullin' for ya."

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

McPhearson posted:

Not only is there a Jean Ralphio, there's also a Dennis Feinstien. Also, the safe Jason was locked in was a Swanson brand safe.

they got Ron Swanson to cameo in an ad on the Good Place Podcast

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Davros1 posted:

So ... who do we petition to keep Janet in that waitress' uniform?

please do not make the thread creepy thank you

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

lol that god-damned ending, gently caress

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Harrow posted:

I think he still struggles to be good himself. This whole episode has him doing some very ethically dubious things, up to and including considering arson. He cares deeply about these four specific humans, but his default is still to lie and cheat.

the arson thing was a great gag even though it was immediately overshadowed

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Toast Museum posted:

Then there's probably no point in showing it, and probably no way to show much of it without it being a letdown anyway. I think this is a big part of why it seems like fiction often features detailed descriptions of Hell while leaving Heaven rather vague or mysterious.

Edit: watch the gang wind up in the Good Place by act two next week just to make this post look dumb.

see also: Dante's Inferno is kind of a big deal and nobody has ever willingly read Dante's Paradiso

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

thanks alot assbag posted:

She's probably still just a regular scientist, but we don't know a lot about her own ethics. It's possible that down the road, she might want to do some experiment a la Milgram that isn't ethical, and it gives the group reason for pause.

Especially if she gets her hands on fully operational Janet capabilities. :getin:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

watching

I really have no idea which of the broken people is funniest. (yes i do, it's chidi)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Your Taint posted:

I'm pretty sure that's how they're gonna play it, yeah. They'll plead their case in front of the judge (again) and there'll be no precedent and she'll be really conflicted and that's how we start off next season.

and by 'next season' you mean 'episode seven'

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Kaedric posted:

That was easily, by far, the funniest Chidi has been since the show began. I really hope they continue writing him stuff like that.

part of why it's funny is admittedly that he's generally been pretty staid most of the time

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Hitting the report button is a conflict of virtue ethics (not wanting to be a snitch) and shared ethical responsibility (making sure as few people as possible see that image)

deontology could come down on either side

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

tarlibone posted:

I agree. It's just that ever since that comment was made, the assumption seems to be that whoever it was wanted to see Janet in that outfit because it was sexy, and it's misogynist to want to see women in sexy outfits (or something like that). Is it possible the OP just meant that it was a funny costume, and that is the reason why they wanted to see her in it more often? I ask because I didn't find the outfit sexy. I don't think it was ugly or anything, but it didn't strike me as fetishized (especially in terms of infantilism fetish), sexy, or even particularly attractive. It was just a goofy getup. Serious person + goofy outfit = comedy gold.

As the poster who initiated this sequence of events: I was uncomfortable with the moderate level of objectification involved with the outfit (as a midriff-baring waitress outfit in a restaurant satirizing all the worst things about America and its restaurants) but this isn't a bad post either.

that said I don't regret instigating a serious discussion of the Daisy Duke archetype

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Oct 22, 2018

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

now i miss florida, what with the perfectly 100% accurate portrayal of Jacksonville

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

This episode wasn't quite as good as Jeremy Bearimy or Dance Dance Resolution, but it was really good.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

This was another good episode. :allears:

I'm not sure what they're doing for next episode. Does Chidi have anyone he wants to save?

also i really, really enjoyed Tahani's acting this time round

there's probably a good Tahani With Axe avatar shot somewhere, although I really love my Michael Cohen av

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Nov 2, 2018

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

- a memory widget? this is potentially crazy
- lol i knew there was a sight gag coming but it's good
- "you did die young and unaccomplished"
- man pick-a-pet day seems like a genius demon idea
- okay, what about the mirror centaur? oh lol tahani asked
- is that a hippo in the background during the half-second shot
- "you're going to show me how thoughtful and caring i am or i will rip off your demon head and shove it up whatever's where your butt should be"
- i like eleanor's iguana
- "and love is stronger than anything you can throw at us" "no it's not"
- "it's the only book they have in the sex ed section"
- "this is all just determinism" "what?" i love this show
- lol at both 444 and 445
- 'mom once made mac n cheese with wine instead of milk', enemies: neil degrasse tyson (note: one-sided, from his side, page 4815 of 162432, ambien hamster mishap, problematic halloween costumes
- "well he's very authoritative and i find that reassuring"
- "is sam the eagle here?" "no" snap :allears: it's their acting that makes it
- oh hey we're going to meet doug forcett! also "go through that makeshift portal, see if you explode"

this is gonna own

good episode

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Harrow posted:

I think we're just supposed to accept that their version of Earth is a very wacky one. I mean, go back and listen to all of the things Jason says about Jacksonville in seasons 1 and 2. He says some outlandish poo poo that we're never really led to believe is incorrect. Most of what we're seeing this season is totally in line with Jason attending Lynyrd Skynyrd High School, a school that consists of a bunch of tugboats lashed together in a junkyard and where most of the classes are just selling dirty magazines door-to-door.

I thought they ran that "everything in Australia is <something> Nemo" joke into the ground, though. C'mon, you can do more Australia jokes than that.

nothing about any of this is inconsistent with our Jacksonville though

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

- oh noooooo, molotovs can't solve everything :negative:
- what an amazing fight scene
- what a REALLY amazing fight scene
- oh no janet :ohdear:
- "No no no, Michael, you're confused. Evidence isn't a good thing that you want, it's a bad thing that you have to destroy or you go to jail."

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Gobbeldygook posted:

Bulls are useful to people that don't own tractors and cows are sacred to Hindus. It is flat-out illegal to slaughter cows in much of India, up to life in prison in some states, and that's if you're lucky enough to be arrested instead of beaten to death by an angry mob.

Remember that the Jains are a religion, not just radical utilitarians, so when they talk about milk and eggs they sometimes talk like this:

Other Jains will argue that it's wrong to eat eggs because it involves stealing from the chicken, but there are definitely Jains that eat eggs precisely for the reason you outlined, especially if they raise the chickens themselves or otherwise know they are treated well. It's like how bringing up honey in a group of vegans will trigger a brawl with the utilitarian vegans defending the consumption of honey and the deontological vegans arguing that it's wrong to steal honey from bees.

what about the virtue vegans, who hold that it's okay as long as you wish the best for the bees

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

JossiRossi posted:

I wonder if this will actually come true. Michael goes to the accountants and destroys all the files.

the more I think about this the more plausible it seems

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

For sure psychologically. The demons have it right from the beginning. Getting hot pokers shoved up your urethra or whatever they do in the Bad Place would be much worse than passive aggressive party invites or whatever Michael had planned for his Bad Place.

I don't want just any wasp nostrils. I want these wasp nostrils.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

BlackJosh posted:

Well Og is a semi-divine being so I’m sure he’s getting in just fine, if he ever actually dies.

for a moment I got extremely confused about which thread I was in

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

this may have been a better episode than Dance Dance Resolution

Powered Descent posted:

And finally, back in-universe, I have one tiny prediction: they're totally going to look up Donkey Doug in the Book of Dougs.

I mean, why wouldn't you?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Mameluke posted:

So is it something like the context of your actions is important as well? You're judged in relation to the maximum possible number of people you can help, and a globally interconnected world means that nobody can reach that number? Whereas a farrier in 6th-century France could give one set of free horseshoes to all the farmers in his 5 mile-wide world and be assured entry for having helped a large percentage of all people he could know?

My other thought is that humanity in general was tainted by the mass genocide and violence that the Columbian Exchange prompted, but I don't know about that.

I think the first paragraph here is probably the winner.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

eke out posted:

that take is the worst thing michael schur has ever done

https://twitter.com/KenTremendous/status/1068518892220297216

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

I think the best way to deal with Shawn at this point as a finale thing would be him being demoted to the accountants office, no longer able to actively torture people, just being forced to sift through weird sex things under the new structure. That would be his hell. Just to rub it in, make Vicky his manager as a direct assistant to Stephen Merchant.

that reminds me, the delivery on "Can I have a paperclip?" "What are you going to do with it?" was amazing

dude sounded hilariously haunted

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

- jason, you seem thoughtful, and that concerns me
- janet is alarmingly human these days
- what if they come out my butt? :ohdear:
- mailman chidi is amazing
- we're the good guys. we can't just do stuff.
- i'm not sure teaching janet that killing people solves problems is the best idea
- the committee's a bunch of ineffectual dorks in fleece vests
- how do you make jason happy? you give him a lollipop shaped like a Transformer
- huh, our globalization hypothesis was actually pretty close
- and the emotions aren't coming out of my butt, they're coming out of my eyes
- cool. smells like frogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

Who's that entertainer Jason impersonated way back? That guy. Alternatively, a player for the Jaguars or Titans

unfortunately they probably can't afford both Blake Bortles AND Stone Cold Steve Austin (who I still think should have been the Judge, but I admit that having him more than two eps would be tough)