Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like that Jason is getting wiser with this new mission, although he's also getting more sober due to the hard choices. He made the choice that his father was beyond help and that they should concentrate on Pillboi. That can't have been easy for him. He's finally having to grow up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I liked when he first rebooted Janet - "Ok put in my birth year... 0000... ah, that's too easy to guess, I should change that..."

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

"First we need to rob an energy drink factory, then after that a deodorant factory. Then we mix it and bottle it all up... Oh yeah! We need to hit up a bottle factory too!"

followed by

"I could understand 2 factories, but 3?"

was funny.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I liked Michael forgetting to put in bathrooms. "I definitely use those... I love to sit on the.. thing.. and really let loose... uh... ELEANOR!"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I liked the book titles, like "Philosophy for dingdongs... for morons"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Hilariously it never occurred to me to split it up - Pan = All. Then Demon. The word literally means "All the demons are gathered here" or "COME GET YER DEMONS AT DISCOUNT PRICES!"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm hoping the Peeps will turn out to be foreshadowing, like they go to the actual "Hell's Kitchen" in the Bad Place, find Samuel Pepys as a demon, and kill him by throwing him into a vat of chili.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

"Either I'm doing something but have no idea what that is, or I'm doing nothing, and WINNING!"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

A clever thing the show does is the only tortures it actually describes are fairly cartoonish in how extreme they are, like wasps in nostrils and just ripping people in half - however there are other things that are implied but aren't described because it would conflict with the shows tone. Like the Museum, where Michael warns them to stay in the foyer, because beyond there there are rooms full of poo poo that they would never be able to unsee. I like how it toes that line. It allows hell to be funny-hellish, and the demons to have some humour with them, without letting the viewer forget that "Yeah, this is literal hell. it's only funny til your in it."

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

uvar posted:

You needed examples and picked ripping people in half over the penis flatteners or butthole spiders?? Janet's audio clip from the first episode maybe fits into the other category though, apart from the bear with two mouths.

Yeah, I forgot about the butthole spiders.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'd like if the reason Sean is so desperate for the new souls is simply because Michael was right and the usual things are losing their magic for everyone. After billions of years of torture, they've lost the fear of it. Any phobias have long since been immersion therapied out after countless exposures to them and all the orifices and body parts are accounted for, so even the new tortures are greeted not with fear but with "Really? Butthole spiders? How are they different from the butthole Squid? Or the Butthole fireants?" Certainly the screams are real, they still have the actual pain that they are inflicting, but due to losing the fear of it it's lost it's fun. Like Michael's constant lying about his good place, their successes are just posturing.

They want so many new souls because they want people who aren't desensitized to it all. Like, they know the food turns to ash so they just don't bother trying to eat anymore, the constant mythical animal attacks have just become of life, and they know the water is either going to be too hot or too cold so they don't even try to shower. Basically, Hell has become so a part of their existence now it's just Earth, in that it really sucks, but you just have to deal with it. Forever.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Taear posted:

It doesn't work like that because you can just delete people's memories!

Also he's called Shawn because he has the worst spelling of the name.

Course, forgot about that. I think I misinterpreted that and thought that was just Michael's thing, like Shawn's the only one who can cocoon people.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Nov 18, 2018

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I liked "How do you justify your existence?"
"Look at me! :wink:"
"You could say that's a pretty shallow argument..."
"You could say I'm a pretty shallow guy!"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

So how long are Good Place and Crazy Ex on hiatus for? I thought it was just Thanksgiving weekend?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Michael bakes a completely normal looking Victoria sponge, but when they cut into it it contains sultanas. "This isn't a Good Bake at all! It's the BAD Bake!"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

In The Medium place they show all the best TV shows and cartoons, but it's always December.

BTW I just realised something clever about the Roast in season 2: Michael fed Chidi with a knock knock joke - a call and response joke. He was highlighting the fact that Chidi died alone by employing a joke that he would have found it impossible to enjoy in life due to not having friends to complete it with.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Nov 30, 2018

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Anyone else think that the Retirement may be foreshadowing what Michael has to do to uproot the system? It's partially described as having every atom in your body incinerated on a separate star, but what if that's what Michael needs to do? Spread himself through the foundations of the entire afterlife to restructure himself in his image, with the main 4 humans forming a new metric - rather than a points system, a set of Ethical Pillars/Types of good/bad people against whom everyone becomes assessed: Jason the Innocent, Chidi the Theorist, Eleanor the Narcissist and Tahani the Rival.

The titles I just threw out in a few minutes, so they're probably not very good.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Propaganda Machine posted:

I think the slumber party slamdown with Michael after seeing the door did a lot of that heavy lifting.

Yeah, I think after Jeremy Bearamy you just start taking things in stride. Everything else is somewhat sensible compared to that, and a lot of afterlife bureaucracy is easy to get your head around because it's fairly simple, it's just like Earth but slightly worse.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Goa Tse-tung posted:

you know what happened in 1497

"June 13 – The Catholic Monarchs issue the ordinance of Medina del Campo, creating a money system based on the copper maravedí, creating the peso of 34 maravedis. In the next three centuries, this system will dominate international payments. It will be used in almost all parts of the Americas and large parts of Asia. It is the basis for a number of modern currencies, including the U.S. dollar."

everyone on earth has been tainted by the invention of modern money

I like that kind of thing, don't know if it's intentional, but it's a cool coincidence if that's all it is.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

Chidi and Eleanor are actually the hardest ones to pull off, too. With Tahani and Jason you have the clothes and voice which do about half the work. But Eleanor's gag mocking Tahani's grudging acceptance of the dress Janet gave her was uncannily good. Like, I know it's Carden, but it FEELS like Bell.

Also Chidi has a lot of quirks that it's probably easy to imitate some of, but only an exceptional mimic could get them all.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm kind of hoping that whatever Michael's endgame is will involve having the 4 humans help fool the other Demons in some way to manipulate them. Have the endgame come together to mirror the start of the show. It'd give Danson another chance to do that fantastic evil laugh again, but this time at Shawn's expense. Just "You never noticed at all? Wow. You know how many tries I had to fool those humans? Over 800. And they still figured it out that last time, I had to bullshit you so hard over those centuries! But you didn't even get one!"

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Dec 8, 2018

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

double nine posted:

long-term plot speculation: the good place itself is completely broken and good place architects and leadership is fubar, completely unwilling to listen. The gang eventually turn around form a plan to rehabilitate the bad place into something approaching a 'just' afterlife. I have no idea how to get Sean to go along with this but maybe Eleanor can get him to experience existential dread and break/fix him like she did with Michael?

It's not going to be that easy - Michael had a weakpoint, his curiosity towards humanity. Shawn doesn't have that. Michael's curiosity became a backdoor to empathy, but Shawn won't be that simple.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Whatever's going to happen, whatever Michael plans to do, no one will be able to effectively predict him because no one has the imagination to realise the scope of the problem - they might think he's trying to ignore the system, or jump the chain of command and take control of it, but by the time Michael's done, the chain won't exist in any recognisable way. Shawn and the others are going to be left reeling by the mess that will result from Michael noticing how hosed the system is and doing what demons do best - tearing it limb from limb.

Basically Shawn is going to be the audience surrogate, having no idea what's going to happen next and trying to counter something that's no longer going on based on outdated intel. I really hope that by the end of the show he's totally lost his cool.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Dec 9, 2018

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Kind of hope there is a gag with Michael Shur being expected in the Bad Place for Food Crimes.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I think the best way to deal with Shawn at this point as a finale thing would be him being demoted to the accountants office, no longer able to actively torture people, just being forced to sift through weird sex things under the new structure. That would be his hell. Just to rub it in, make Vicky his manager as a direct assistant to Stephen Merchant.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

The fact that the only papers are in the Very Important file implies a lot depending on what they are - if they are souls that are being categorised by how important (ie how much of an impact they made) they are and that are now abandoned, it could be that rather than a sudden cutoff, as it would be if the Bad Place had started screwing with things, it was a gradual tapering for the preceding 300 years. Fewer and fewer people make it, and by the year 1400 they only have about 10 new souls, all exceptionally big people who set up enormous charities with their limitless wealth, basically buying their way into heaven while the nice humble people just couldn't keep up as an expanding world made it harder and harder to make enough of a dent to get points.

It could even be that there is no danger in the Good Place simply because it's not just quiet, but totally abandoned. Just a bunch of souls and Janets hanging around not even realising that the angels have long since left them to rot in their own bliss.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Thranguy posted:

Well, someone fought to keep Mindy St. Claire out of the bad place, so completely abandoned seems off the table.

Course, forgot about that.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

It also adds more context for Mindy - The Good Place fought hard enough for her it caused a stalemate - they must have been desperate, finally after 480 years, someone finally earns enough points and they're gonna lose her on a technicality? I don't think so!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I just realised in the scene when they first decided to go see the Judge after discussing what their Bad Places would probably be, they were giving the demons waaaaay too much credit assuming that their hells would be in any way personalised. The Demon's are all very boring people, the personlisation was entirely Michael's thing, the only time we ever got an inkling of that in the Real Bad Place was with Real Eleanor in season 1 and she was reading from a memorised script, written by Michael. There will be no crap concerts or infinite camping because Shawn wouldn't be smart enough to think of that, it's all samey physical tortures for him. It'll be butthole spiders and being twisted in two for everyone. One Demon literally needed to ask an ethics professor for help figuring out how to torture someone (although he didn't know it at the time) so they are really pathetic.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvfLU4kY_8A

This is a fun new series that The Good Place youtube channel is doing - deeper insights into the moral/philosophical lessons taught in the show, explained by the Philosophy Consultant on the show.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Some of the Old saints may have had flawed beliefs, like one of the famous healers, I think Mother Theresa but it could have been someone else, didn't believe in painkillers and thought it better to let her patients just sweat it out.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Also they had a really neat Gay Panic episode which played on stereotypes without using them straight. It was basically Sam, Diane and the (suspected) gay customers vs everyone else's hysteria. It also had a great twist where the suspected gays were friends of Diane's and weren't actually gay - the actual gay customers were joining the rest of the bar's hysteria, a plot of Diane's (I think) to prove how bullshit the stereotypes are and get the patrons to chill the gently caress out before Sam threw them out.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I like that the Judge isn't holding Michael's behaviour against the humans. She has agreed to meet him on his terms, likely because despite his actions and disobedience, he has brought up an important thing that warrants discussion. Now they aren't just discussing 4 idiots, but the entirety of humanity and the Judge is now taking the situation a lot more seriously now it's bigger than a pet project.

She is being Fair.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Clearly if everything on Earth is compromised, there is only one option left: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5HYZUUjVzs

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

To be fair, at least it's presented as Michael explaining it to himself rather than to the rest of the cast - it's stuff any human already figured out, but Michael has never done critical thinking ever until starting planning his neighbourhood. Realising not only that something is wrong, but how it's wrong is relatively new to the afterlife, he is the only one who bothered to observe it. It's not the audience having the point explained to, it's the audience watching (effectively) an alien figure it out.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

King of Foolians posted:

Nah, not really. Michael sold the concept as getting the humans to torture each other (albeit, without them knowing they were doing it). It was something less routine for the demons helping him but after the numerous reboots the demons were tired of the deception and wanted to get back to torturing (and biting) the humans like they were used to.

Also the demons probably noticed that the humans kept figuring it out before they could really make each other miserable for long - they kept winning. It's not torture if the other party can win, it's just a really mean game.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

qirex posted:

I'm still of the opinion that the good place people are the ones who changed the point system, with the "best" of intentions, to exclude the vast majority of people. Michael is always so specific that it's the bad place meddling with the system [and everyone always says it's impossible].

Blaming something like that on a discrete entity is too much of an easy way out. Like capitalism itself, the afterlife isn't inherently right or wrong - it's just a broken system running amok, not helped by the fact that the people in a position to affect it are in turn being oppressed by it. There are particular bad people deliberately profiting off of it, but even if they were killed off the way the system functions would just bring someone else to fill the void. If Shawn died, Vicky would probably just try to step in. If she was taken out, Bitey Man may show up.

The system isn't being deliberately meddled with, but it's a collapsing dinosaur of a system that nevertheless has it's claws in so many different pies that a complete failure of it would have catastrophic side-effects, so the easy way out is to patch the issues with duct tape and bubble gum and hope it holds. Michael's probably going to end up looking to go full soviet though and tear the whole thing down.

Hell the system is so ubiquitous we all know what's really going on - everyone is on The Trolley. All anyone can do is change it's direction using the controls they have access to, only Michael has figured out that the only way to "beat" the trolley problem is to break the system, jump out and jam the wheels with your own corpse. There are 2 tracks, one that will make the Good Place denizens miserable by changing the rules completely invalidating their entire lives, and one that will keep the Bad Place denizens in a state of perpetual torment. The Earth is in the same boat, they are all in the trolley of Capitalism. The trolley problem is a metaphor for the entire situation on all sides.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jan 14, 2019

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm thinking Michael convinces the Judge that the system is broken, they try to change one aspect of it to start to make things fairer, and then everything breaks due to a ripple effect from that change - resulting in Pandemonium in the afterlife, and season 4 being a clusterfuck on the level of Legends of Tomorrow's "Guy's. I think we broke time..." as the Judge, Michael and the Humans try to salvage a working system out of the whole mess

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

It's basically Paradise Found - Instead of the Fall of the Former-Angel-Turned-Demon Lucifer, it's the Rise of the Former-Demon-Turned-Archangel Michael.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

silvergoose posted:

I did note to myself that Michael is an archangel's name.

It's probably the cleverest bit of misdirection the show had at the start - I totally took for granted "Oh hey, he's a Heaven admin and named after an angel, that's cool." and never thought on it further. Never guessed that he'd be a demon as a result.