Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Does selling fake medicine to the elderly and gullible pay a lot? Because a flight to australia followed by about a month's worth of motel rent in a university town can't be cheap for someone who used to share the rent with two other people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I realized why I didn't enjoy this week's opening as much- I'm more anxious in general right now and I don't want to feel anxious about my entertainment characters, especially Michael's gambit. Last season was somehow more relaxing because it was about the good guys quickly figuring out their prison and letting the wheels come of the bad guys' plan. The predicted path was upward, and this is more uncertain.

I'm still going to love it once some baseline is established, I'm sure. In the mean time, I'm going to chuckle at the 'frog thermos reaction'.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

heh. You know what that reminds me of? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cy2mN0OSb3k (warning potato recording)

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

he's luggage

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Quick question, what would an mri show if you had it scan a demon?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

It's going to show a normal human because they are powerful and not idiots.

booo. What a boring answer (you're probably right)

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Found this on MEJ's twitter . He plays Shawn.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

howe_sam posted:

Hahaha, on the podcast Jameela is so pissed about Simone getting in the way of Chidi and Eleanor.

not gonna lie, was also a bit defensive about it and then the MRI scene happened and the cuteness of it all overwhelmed me (and Eleanor being on board in the driver's seat with it all).

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I have a more generic prediction- the first season was a bit of a slow burn. Season 2 was a rollercoaster that started with the amazing episode 2 and was thrilling all the way through. This time I expect episode 2 and 3 to be setting up a new normal and episode4 to be the one which is the :vince: pull out the rug from under our feet. This structure is similar but different so fans are kept on their toes

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

on that note, what did michael shout when he was on the bicycle saving Chidi from airconditioning-pancake? I couldn't make it out.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

It's so weird to see Shawn emote. Especially - he smiles. that's not natural (also he looks tiny in that perspective and next to attractive giantess Jameela Jamil).

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

eke out posted:

contrary to this, my first thought was that MEJ looks good as hell with a beard

Oh I'm not disagreeing. He is a very attractive man.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I'm more of a Beyond Belief type of person but Sparks Nevada is deff. my second favorite segment.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

bull3964 posted:

If you want hours and hours more of MEJ, listen to all the back episodes of Sparks Nevada on (now ended) The Thrilling Adventure Hour podcast.

On the topic of MEJ/The Thrilling Adventure Hour, this popped up in my podcatcher:

https://shows.pippa.io/thrilling-adventure-hour/tah-returns-a-word-from-acker-blacker

quote:

Ben Acker & Ben Blacker, co-creators and writers of The Thrilling Adventure Hour, are dropping into the feed for a very special announcement... THE THRILLING ADVENTURE HOUR IS RETURNING TO YOUR PODCAST AIRWAVES!

Starting Monday October 29th 2018, The Thrilling Adventure Hour will be releasing 2 New Episodes per Month! A Brand New In-Studio episode, produced by the Forever Dog Podcast Network and featuring a mix of classic characters and new characters, canonical segments and expanded universe segments, original cast members as well as new cast members and new writers, plus lots of surprises! And a Hidden Gem from the Vault, something presumed lost, something obscure, something never before released to the podcast listening public!

In order to support this endeavor, we've started a Thrilling Adventure Hour Patreon, where subscribers (that's you) can get access to the full TAH back catalog, merchandise discounts, complete libraries of classic segments, oddities, rarities, and more for only $5/month! All funds generated by your generous contributions will be used to cover the costs of the new episodes and to ensure that the cast, writers, producers, and engineers are compensated fairly: https://www.patreon.com/thrillingadventurehour

Please tell everyone you know to subscribe to The Thrilling Adventure Hour on Apple Podcasts or their favorite podcast app for Brand New Episodes and Hidden Gems from the Vault starting Mon October 29th 2018!

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

I don't think the Jacksonville jokes will ever get stale

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I mean ... the group already rehabilitated one demon. Why stop there?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

MEJ pointed it out on the podcast but that cliffhanger worked so well because Scott wasn't in douchebro mode. He was in Ben Wyatt mode.

I'm not familiar with Parks & Rec so I don't understand that reference, but there is no disguise that's going to withstand Eleanor's bullshit radar, eventually. It may take her a few episodes but she'll figure it out. Or Jason will, that beautiful idiot savant has sparks of genius .... sometimes.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

BioThermo posted:

Ben Wyatt is a pencil pusher and a wholesome dork:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZRpP_XxVpM&t=69s

I can fully see Trevor failing to keep his facade up for more than an episode, though.

... I may need to see this now.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

... wait, reading up on this I think I actually watched the first episode and came away feeling very neutral about the whole deal. Is this like Blackadder where the first season is wildly different from the rest of the series in tone and/or quality?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Got to admit, if Brexit is the price we pay for the salvation of these 4 souls, I say that's worth paying.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

god ... forking ... this forking show man.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I don't know, Michael's inability to deceive might be because he is an fallen/ascended demon and the ethics get in the way of lying.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Oh Michael. You haven't really learned anything from the constant reboots, have you...

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

Janet's arc feels like it's in limbo right now? She hasn't really done much other than being Michael's shoulder angel (who might need to get a bit more forceful, she's not used to talking back to her bosses) and having an unrequited crush on Jason. I dunno, there's something about her since the start of the season that makes her feel like she's just 'there' and maybe using occasional wacky hijinks using her omniscience.

You just said it yourself, she is starting to talk back to michael and disagree with him - it's still in a hesitant phase but I think she's becoming more assertive this season.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

This may be :thejoke: but the systems seem to work as follows:
general human pettyness, anxieties that shape our behaviour and small vices mean that the most human beings are going to end up in the bad place; the only way people actually get in the Good Place is through volume - their intentional deeds somehow managed to influence a lot of people in a positive sense - like mozart, wendy, lincoln etc.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

All you need to know about Kamilah is shown when Emmy Nominated actor Ted Danson saves Tahani at the start of the reboot - she instantly and completely basks in the adoration for saving her sister, which she knows is false. The cherry is when she does the fake modesty "it was nothing really".

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

"well breaking the rules would be bad so our hands are tied" :shrug:.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

eke out posted:

Pan Dulce posted:

Here you go!

Pan Dulce posted:

How about a gif instead?

:five: :five: :five:

:emptyquote:

edit: it's a nice bit of cosmic karma that Chidi gave Michael an existential crisis in season 2 and Michael gives Chidi an existential crisis in season 3. it turns out Karma also moves in a Jeremy Bearimee way.

double nine fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Oct 19, 2018

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

about one in a million so we know it's going to happen.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Being french is still an automatic -10000 points, right? That should not be up for debate but here we are so ... please confirm?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I wouldn't mind Eleanor showing her dark side some more as a change of pace. The character was beginnning to get one-note and eleanor's mean streaks are kind of hilarious. (Obv. I still hope she gets enough points but let her have some fun first). Also having the others try and convince Eleanor to be good is a good mix-up for what had become kind of the rote formula.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I fully expect a situation to arise where "but I know I'm not getting into the good place, so I am altruistic which means I do get into the good place but now I know that and now my motivation is corrupt so I'm not getting into the good place but now I'm being altruistic so I do get in the good place but now my motivation is corrupt and I'm going to the bad place but now my stomach hurts"

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

look, you just need to be inhuman to get into the good place.

Argue posted:

I'm concerned that we have yet to see a single alien in the afterlife.

Well there you go. (though this does ignore
)

double nine fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Oct 28, 2018

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

quote:

I've been around for a long time. Like, all of it.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I'm still waiting for the manifesto-shaped shoe to drop. That's way too big of a plot mcguffin to leave unused.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Every time I hear Andy Daly I hear Andy Paley and I get really confused...

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

teenage pregnancies are a thing, and maybe eleanor is 5 7 years younger than christen bell?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Toast Museum posted:

Eleanor is two years younger than Kristen Bell.

... I no longer care enough to find fictional justifications for the actors' age difference.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

bull3964 posted:

In an industry where 30 year olds play high schoolers, this is best.

DON'T YOU DARE TALK ABOUT RIVERDALE LIKE THAT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Doltos posted:

I'm watching Deadwood for the first time and it was weird seeing Kristen Bell acting all sweet and innocent then true Eleanor came out about midway through the episode she was in

wait gruesome death lady was Bell? Holy poo poo.

double nine fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Nov 9, 2018