Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
I love that Doorman's name is Jeff.

Or Geoff.

Who knows. Well, the Judge, I suppose. Speaking of whom, the last building she whisked away was a Meat Trench, wasn't it? Looked like a stereotypical redneck-theme diner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

I had to look this up, but yes, it's a callback: apparently, a place called Stupid Nick's Wing Dump had to close when a pelican fell in a flash fryer. The owner opened a new spot, called Ugly Nick's Meat Trench.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Noise Machine posted:

Someone on reddit pointed out the misspelling and Chidi not being able to find the outside may have been allusions to Plato's Cave.

Maybe, but a much more plausible explanation is that he's so exhausted that his brain isn't working correctly. He's disoriented and can't spell simple words. That, and I know what the allegory of the cave is, and it really doesn't fit here: it's about one's perceptions of reality (and by extension, normality) being based on the limits of one's lifetime of experiences. Chidi is experiencing actual reality as he always has; he's just tired and isn't thinking straight, and it's making him act strangely. The gag continues as he acquires a socket wrench (w/ attached socket) and has no idea how he came to possess it, and he even has an auditory hallucination.

I loved this episode. It was so satisfying seeing Trevor getting whisked off into the nothingness with nary a thought. And I loved how Janet works like a printer and starts summoning things from the queue she built up while in the real world.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Propaganda Machine posted:

The allegory, to me, was about the frustration of imperfection versus the ideal. The apple I just ate was not a platonic ideal apple; it was misshapen, bruised, and not very flavorful. But it was close enough to be an acceptable apple to me. Contrast that with Chidi's inability to make decisions. He is obsessed with attaining the most perfect thing to the point of taking an hour to select the best possible muffin, and Trevor succeeds in making him question whether he's running the most ideal study. The sleep deprivation just amplifies his frustration of being stuck in a cave.

Hmmm. I hadn't really considered it on that level; I was taking a more literal approach. Not sure I'm 100% on board with this interpretation, but it is an interesting thought.

OK. I'm moving that theory from "Poppycock!" to "Hmmmm... interesting...."

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Doltos posted:

Jeff owns I want an entire show about Jeff

I don't know... there wouldn't be any jokes.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

The Lord Bude posted:

I know it's a joke menu but good god were those prices chosen by someone who's never eaten in Australia, let alone Sydney. That restaurant would go broke in a matter of months. I particularly like the three dozen wings for the price most places would charge for 6; and the 'pay once eat all day' offer; on Sunday; the day when everyone in the restaurant is getting time and a half. Those burger meals are cheaper than Mcdonalds I think.

So let me get this straight:

This menu contains items like "Grand Canyon Dog: A two foot 'freedom' baguette, hollowed out and filled with hot dogs, mac & cheese, bacon and our world famous brown mustard and spicy wasabi chilli. Served with an onion ring tower and our world famous apple ranch dressing" and "Ol' Faithful: Every 10 minutes your water will fire a blast of our world famous beefy beef chilli into your mouth from a fire extinguisher. We will keeping [sic] firing until you tell us to stop!"... and your takeaway is that the prices are unrealistic?

(I'm just kidding. My takeaway was that they didn't use an Oxford comma, and there are other grammatical mistakes.)

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

The Lord Bude posted:

Obviously the ol' Faithful is ridiculous but I'd totally eat the Grand Canyon Dog.

I'm not a hot dog fan, but I love the idea of two feet of "freedom" baugette filled with chilli hot dog mac. And the notion that they called it a "freedom" baugette is just a perfect caricature for an American themed restaurant from hell. Actually... how positive are we that they're not just in an even bigger bad place? Because that restaurant was not much different than the pun-themed Good Place Neighborhood restaurants.

The Mount Rushmore was even more preposterous, with four deep fried heads of lettuce and barbecue ranch sauce (among other things).

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

LividLiquid posted:

Chidi went to the bad place for having an anxiety disorder and Jason went in for being too stupid. Yeah, he was a criminal, but he was kinda' too stupid not to be.

Eleanor scammed people for a living and was a monumental piece of poo poo in her personal life, and Tahani was petty and vain and didn't do anything that wasn't self-serving.

The whole point of the show, though, is that the rules by which we're judged are kind of bullshit, and that circumstances matter. It's almost like an exercise in teaching the influence of systems.

That's a good point about Chidi and Jason. Eleanor deserves The Bad Place more than any of them, but I never really considered the notion that Chidi's and Jason's condemnation was palpably unfair.

And speaking of the influence of systems... I wonder where Melvil Dewey ended up in the good place?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Maxwell Lord posted:

I'm getting a Senatorial debate tonight instead of the Good Place, so obviously I've done something wrong

St. Louis media market? (Because that's where I am, and that's what I got, and I don't even loving live in Missouri.)

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
There're way more than two beans in that can of chili.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
I finally got to see the episode. loving Missouri midterm election Senatorial debates.

SunshineDanceParty posted:

That Jeremy Bearimy scene is my new favorite timeline explanation.

"That dot is Tuesdays. And also, sometimes, never."

That is what broke Chidi. The dot on the "i."

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Your Taint posted:

I'm straight but after that episode I think I may have a thing for Chidi.

I believe you were looking for, "Side note: I might legit be into Chidi."

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
I don't know a thing about anime, so whatever people are saying about that post... yeah, I don't get it.

And don't explain it. Seriously. It's fun enough for me to watch you all react to this thing that I absolutely don't get. I guess I know how old people feel now.

(sadly) Oh....

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
I thought the joke about having Janet in the America Restaurant waitress costume was funny because I thought it was a funny costume. We always see Janet being 100% serious, and she dresses the part. Seeing this totally serious robot (not a robot!) character going undercover as a waitress, complete with goofy outfit and her realizing that she can't just summon a bunch of beers because she's on Earth, was funny. Seeing her stay in that outfit for a while would have continued to be funny, at least for a little while.

Honestly, I didn't see it as sexy at all. Yeah, it showed a few inches of her midriff, but other than that, I don't remember it being fetishized or even particularly revealing.

Does anyone seriously look at that outfit and see it as a fetishized costume? Because I didn't. I saw it and my only thought was "that's hilarious!"

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

SirSamVimes posted:

I mean it's possible for an outfit to be attractive without being fetishized.

I agree. It's just that ever since that comment was made, the assumption seems to be that whoever it was wanted to see Janet in that outfit because it was sexy, and it's misogynist to want to see women in sexy outfits (or something like that). Is it possible the OP just meant that it was a funny costume, and that is the reason why they wanted to see her in it more often? I ask because I didn't find the outfit sexy. I don't think it was ugly or anything, but it didn't strike me as fetishized (especially in terms of infantilism fetish), sexy, or even particularly attractive. It was just a goofy getup. Serious person + goofy outfit = comedy gold.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

"Welcome to the Good Place...welcome to Florida!"

This reminds me of a road trip my family took to Florida a couple years ago. We drove through Alabama and entered Florida on US 231. I always try to take a quick picture of the first big Welcome To _____ sign I see if I'm the passenger in the car. So, I see the one for Florida, and below the main sign is another sign that says that there's a replica of that sign just inside the Welcome Center. So, naturally, we went to the welcome center, and that's where we had our picture taken. I thought it was thoughtful, convenient, safe, and good.

As we pulled away, I looked, and there was a family of idiots pulled just barely off the road, taking pictures next to the sign that had a nice, safe replica away from the main road. One of them was even pointing, and the sign they were pointing to was the one that told them about the replica sign inside the nearby center. I'm sure they didn't notice this because, again, they were idiots.

That's how I know that Florida is a Bad Place masquerading as a Good Place. At least, that was my first clue. The rest of the clues were the interior of Florida, minus the NASA tour. The beach was nice, though.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Supercar Gautier posted:

I love that the handshake has a trust fall in it.

I love that it had a standard trust fall and a forward trust fall in it.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

xbilkis posted:

I think Andy Daly's delivery of "What a fun way to say a normal thing!" might be my favorite line ever in this show

I don't know why or where I'd place it, but it felt very Adult Swim-y to me. Or, 30 Rock.

Whatever. It was hilarious. It hit my wife at a slower burn, and a few seconds later, she snatched the remote, backed it up, and replayed the scene to make sure she hadn't dozed off and dreamed it. Then we laughed.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
Sounds like Jacksonville is the Florida of Florida.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

nooneofconsequence posted:

Why do Eleanor's memories include a Tahani and Michael conversation she wasn't in?

I think it's because it's not really Eleanor's memories. The way I understood it, Janet was the one who compiled all of the memories. She may have gathered the data from all four of the human's memories, but since she was compiling it, there'd be a record of anything any of them experienced. (And, the memory bank could also have stuff that none of them experienced, as long as Janet knew about it.)

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Lucania posted:

I'd love to hear how she made an enemy out of Neil deGrasse Tyson (One-sided, from his side).

I want to hear how she did it without hating him back.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Regy Rusty posted:

I'm honestly a bit worried about that, when she was standing there right before the break i couldn't stop wondering if this could be a switcheroo :tinfoil:

This wouldn't surprise me.

But yeah, it was nice to see her do some action scenes.

Dammit, Janet, I love you!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Regy Rusty posted:

I sure hope someone got fired for those blunders

I know, right? They are bunglers, and they will be executed!! Hardline: one bungle, you're out. Zero bungle tolerance.

(Reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o_B_-gbo50&t=60s)

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
What if the Soul Squad has a group epiphany, and the camera pulls back, and it keeps pulling back, from the squad to the city, then to the surrounding landscape, then to the continent, then the whole planet, then the solar system, then the galaxy, then the universe, then the Jeremy Bearimy, and then it's revealed that it's all inside an interdimensional snow globe being stared into by a young and autistic Janet? Then it pulls further back and everybody is a Janet. The whole series was a Janet's dream.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Grognan posted:

I can't wait for Jeremy Bearime timeline shenanigans.

I wonder if the reason that the dot above the "i" in "Jeremy Bearimy" broke Chidi when he saw it because that dot, in addition to being Tuesdays, July, and sometimes Never, was also the weird purple space bubble he was trapped in during Reboot #444 of The Bad Place?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Strawman posted:

Chidi was Never in a purple bubble :confused:

I was going to post this, but then it dawned on me that you capitalized the word "Never," which likely signifies that you're referencing the dot that broke Chidi, making your post not a simple mistake by a casual fan but a clever play on words. So, I won't say anything about my initial impression of your post. I'll just say... well played, sir.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

thanks alot assbag posted:

God help you if you ever start watching Steven Universe

Rarity posted:

Try being a Gravity Falls fan

(ahem) [points to avatar]

Venture Bros., for the win.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Strom Cuzewon posted:

So is VB worth all this insane hassle?

Yes.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

flatluigi posted:

rip Pushing Daisies

Oh God, yes. I wasn't one for really stylized shows before I saw this, and I didn't even find out about the show until midway through their last season, and every single episode was just amazing. It was a giant "gently caress you!" to anyone who ever said that you can't be both artsy and sublimely entertaining.

Too perfect for this world.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Whalley posted:

Ironically giving someone a rock should still earn 10k points, but who the gently caress gives away rocks in the modern day

Oh, I don't know... except for maybe people who are offering a gift to a woman in contemplation of marriage....

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Whalley posted:

Who's to say marriage gets you points? Or, poo poo, that cutting a rock is a good thing?

Oh, I wasn't contemplating that. I was just giving an example of people who to this day still give away rocks.

I would imagine you'd lose points on the deal, though, since that rock (that I was talking about) is given in contemplation of a reward. So... it probably doesn't count.

Pretty sure everyone involved with De Beers is going to The Bad Place, though.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Zedd posted:

S4 spoiler:

Fully automated? Ugh. That's, like, easily the third worst kind of luxury gay space communism.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Strawman posted:

So you're one of those artisanal luxury gay space communism hipsters :rolleyes:

I'm not a hipster. I was into artisanal luxury gay space communism way before it was cool. Hell, back then, we didn't even call it artisanal. It was just luxury gay space communism.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

double nine posted:

his books. his beautiful philosopher books.

Yeah, this.

I'm not going to suggest almond milk because it was a thing in, what? One episode?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Senor Tron posted:

The only real problem with Jason is that they showed us his home and he actually seems to come from a cartoon world. All the other characters seem to have grown up in our world, where as Jason literally comes from a place with monster truck taxis.

Yeah, Florida. You've never been?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Senor Tron posted:

For anyone needing a fix, D'Arcy Carden is part of a pretty good skit on Last Week Tonight this week.

The outtakes at the end were pretty good.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

SardonicTyrant posted:

Watching for the first time and :allears: Jason :allears:

Just wait until Jason figures it out. That one hurts.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Rarity posted:

FactsAreUseless: Man, this is a real low point. Yeah, this one hurts.

That was my favorite of the reboot montages. Well, either that, or the one where Eleanor overheard the plot because the door was unlocked.

... naaaaah, it's definitely the one where Jason figured it out.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Hulu havers should watch Drunk History. I forgot all about it until last night and found two complete seasons for me to watch and to say Christmas came early would be accurate.

I love Drunk History.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
Man, I miss Psych. The first episode I saw was several seasons into the show's run. I'm pretty sure it was "Tuesday the 17th," and from the title card for that episode, I was hooked. (The literal Rick Roll at the end was also sweet.) It was one of those shows that people had been telling me to check out and I was like, no, don't wanna do that... then I was mad at all of them for not trying harder to make me watch it.