Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Collateral posted:

Perhaps, but if we expect it to follow real world rules, Jason would not have been issued a visa.

I feel like this is the sort of thing Michael is there to smooth over, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Kamila ends up in the Bad Place, and is one of the easiest people they've ever had to torture. They just put her in a fake Good Place where everyone thinks she's Tahani. :unsmigghh:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

BlueBayou posted:

The menu includes "The Paunch Burger"

Holy christ this entire menu is gold, Ol' Faithful has me losing my poo poo

e: also we know it's not a Bad Place restaurant because it serves more than one goddamn food

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah I'd be very surprised if Jason's lines weren't half just "<space for Manny improv>" in the script now

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

alpha_destroy posted:

Professional philosophy and ethics is totally dominated by white men to the point the field is really a study of the white male mindset. Thus, the funniest and most insightful joke of the whole show, by far, is when Jason declares he is in Chidi's class to study ethnics.

I would say this makes it kind of hilarious that Chidi is the philosopher of the group, in and of itself.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
yeah like... the outfit is sexy mostly because D'Arcy Carden is really goddamn hot and would probably look good even in a literal potato sack. like, she's probably the only person on earth who could make Sexy Gritty work.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Gobbeldygook posted:

The weird thing about knowing about the Good Place meaning your good deeds don't count is that billions of people believe in the Good Place. They very sincerely believe that helping the poor etc will result in them going to Heaven and if they don't do those things they will go to the Bad Place and in the absence of their sincere belief in an afterlife they probably would not do those things. The idea that your good deeds are balanced against bad deeds isn't at all revolutionary, e.g. the ancient Egyptian belief that Maat weighs your soul's heart against the feather of truth and if it was lighter you went to paradise and if it was heavier you were eaten.

we are not given an indication that very many people end up in the Good Place

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

FELD1 posted:

I guess that kind of thinking comes off as over-entitled to me. If they want to spread out the airing a little bit, that's fine.

hot take: the idea that wanting things to not suck is "over-entitled" needs to die decades ago.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Powered Descent posted:

And finally, back in-universe, I have one tiny prediction: they're totally going to look up Donkey Dad in the Book of Dougs.

:colbert:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Whalley posted:

"Nobody has gotten into the Good Place in 521 beariblebs, which is the exact equivalent of 521 years on Earth, being that one bearibleb comes out to exactly 365 Earth days" - scriptwriting if it was handled by some people in this thread

I'm gonna be honest, if it were me I would have just left it non-specific

Michael asks how long it's been since someone's gotten into the Good Place, Stephen Merchant just says something like "that hasn't happened as long as I've been here" or "woof, that hasn't happened in a WHILE" or etc

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

greententacle posted:

I'm pretty sure there's been episodes that break those rules though? Like, what about the Christmas Carol episode? The Doctor deliberately interferes with a dude's past, to change him from being a nasty person to a nice person. Outside of that episode, that sort of thing is usually not on, breaking the laws of time and all that. I haven't been keeping up with it though, last episode I saw was in the middle of Capaldi's last season.

Interfering is more of a "shouldn't" than a "can't" in DW, because of the aforementioned stable-loop fuckery it creates.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

TaurusTorus posted:

It's Chidi Sees the Time-Knife that has me pumped

I'm genuinely excited for this show to go Full Dune

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Azhais posted:

And I hope it's an unmentioned running gag for the rest of the series, just the occasional tiny Chidi flying past in the background

I feel like it's more likely to be a Bearimy-influenced brick joke: later on, we return to the IHOP, and Chidi ends up getting flung through space, at which point we see that scene distantly in the background.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Jesus christ how many shows can one person make at the same time :psyduck:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I'm legit worried this is gonna lead to some of them dropping in quality, like this season of Good Place was a little on the ropey side compared to S2 already. :ohdear:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i feel like we all kind of blew past the guy saying he didn't deliberately jump into the last episode, and just saw his partner watching it and didn't fuckin bird box himself

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

tarlibone posted:

Yeah, Florida. You've never been?

I literally go to Sarasota almost every year and have gone to Orlando a few times, and... while the stereotypes are somewhat true, TGP takes them way, way, way farther than in reality

as far as his impulsivity, I think Whalley nailed it: his impulsivity isn't actually his problem, so much as what he uses it towards, and his real change has been from selfishness to altruism

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I mean the chunk around Siesta Key seems like it's mostly young potheads and Russians :shrug:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

howe_sam posted:

https://twitter.com/sepinwall/status/1131551628308430848
Get all the answers to your burning questions about season 3.

...wait, I thought JEREMY BEARIMY was just something Megan Amram started shouting in the writers' room one time a la Charlie's "AAAAAAAAA SHUT UP OH MY GOD I DON'T CARE" from Always Sunny? Or was that a joke itself?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

curiousCat posted:

sorry, does this post scream "Michael gets retired" to anyone else

I feel like that particular sword of Damocles has been hanging over everyone's heads for too long to not drop it on them.

Michael's going to get retired at some point, leaving Eleanor 100% in charge of the new simulation. She, Tahani, and Jason effectively become God while Chidi remains stuck in a Platonic cave of his own making.

Then they'll blow it up the next episode and have Michael come back as a turkey or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I mean, if they shot 14 episodes (or 12 + a 2x length finale), we're probably getting 14 episodes. This show films more unused stuff than most, but it'd still be pretty unheard of to cut an entire episode without any external reason causing it.