Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

cptn_dr posted:

The monastery that Tahani went to was called "Bardo Monastery". Throwaway joke, or subtle foreshadowing?
It's foreshadowing that this season actually takes place in 2023, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

[insert 2500 word exploration of why Austin and Rock fans are probably remarkably homogenous]

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

For real I'd love to hear all the obvious references to Pandamonium bc I'm an English lit major and I got it but I wouldn't expect most people to get it bc yes it is obscure to normal people

You're right, the really obscure reference would be Pandamonium.

Pandemonium may be something that people might not know directly as "a word coined by John Milton for the capitol city of Hell" but as Wiki shows it's used a lot in pop culture. I first heard it as a kid because there was an Avengers villain named Master Pandemonium. It's the name of a section of the original Doom video game where you're in Hell. I feel like it's used a lot, often in reference to Hell/demons. It's in like a million song lyrics. Unless the issue is "do people realize that Pandemonium is John Milton's coinage for a specific part of Hell" then sure, maybe that is kind of obscure.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Lutha Mahtin posted:

diablo 2 was released in 2000, but no, an M-rated game with "devil" imagery would not have been the most mainstream game in the 90s, an era when the satanic panic hoax was still believed by every parent in america

quote:

By April 2001, Diablo II had become one of the most popular online games ever. Major factors that contributed to Diablo II's success include what fans found to be addictive hack and slash gameplay and free access to Battle.net. Diablo II may be played as a single player game, multi-player via a LAN, or multi-player via Battle.net, with the latter being the most popular. It has also become one of the top thirty best selling computer games ever. Including Diablo II, the Diablo series has sold 17 million copies.

Doom (which *was* released in the 1990s) also sold millions of copies and sure people complained about the violence and demonic imagery but that did not stop it from being an incredibly popular game.

Toast Museum posted:

The question isn't "do people know the meaning of pandemonium as used in everyday speech," it's "do people know the meaning of pandemonium as used by Milton, i.e. the name of a city of demons." The answers to those two questions are very different.
As discussed it's frequently used in very popular works of fiction that are about Hell, Demons, Cities of Demons, etc. It's got the word Demon right in the middle of it. If pressed most people probably wouldn't know it was coined by Milton but they have probably inferred it involves something hellish?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Danson also spent his post-Becker career doing

-Curb Your Enthusiasm recurring spots
-Two seasons of Damages
-Three seasons of Bored to Death
-Like five seasons of various CSIs
-The best season of Fargo

All of which I would have put ahead of "Becker" on notoriety levels, but below Cheers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

pwn posted:

https://twitter.com/meganamram/status/1173398973052141569?s=21

And i realized <60 seconds ago that I missed the Emmys tonight. gently caress!!

Edit: gently caress, beaten like Megan Amram and Patton Oswalt at the Emmys
The main Emmys are this Sunday, they did the (untelevised) Creative Arts Emmys last night.