Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists
I mean, at that point, we might as well theorize that Eleanor's parents were both demons who were too up themselves to recognize who each other were.

Personally, I think it fits the theme of the show best if Not Vice is just Not Vice, run by humans who want to earn money and Show People Interesting Foreigners without thinking about their own actions very much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

Lutha Mahtin posted:

AND I PUT BEANS IN IT

Please don't start "should chili have beans in it" discourse in this thread bc it will devolve into me tripleposting about how Texans are fools who need to learn how to love

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

ApplesandOranges posted:

Kamila ends up in the Medium Place, because she should ideally go to the Bad Place but she's so charismatic that they argued to lighten her sentence.

This would be interesting, because I feel like it would be more hellish than Hell for her. (Which would presumably leave Michael feeling weirdly vindicated.)

At least in the Bad Place, there's demons and other bad people to pay attention to you. In the Medium Place it's just you. Alone with your thoughts and all the low-quality caviar you could ever want. Forever.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

Alpha Timeline got President Jeb!

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

precision posted:

Janet seems like Janet to me; if anything is off, it's that Michael seems to have leaned way too hard into being good

Really? The impression I get is that the ethical aspect has only partially clicked with him, and that his prime motivators rn are "do anything I can to save my rear end" and "turns out Actual Friendships are pretty good, so I should save their asses too, huh."

There was a pretty strong parallel with Eleanor in this episode - they both desperately need other people, but spent most of their lives never realizing and acknowledging that. Once they have a reason to care, it becomes a lot easier for them to act like it... the problem being that it doesn't actually eliminate their self-centered and self-destructive tendencies, just mitigates them.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

double nine posted:

"well breaking the rules would be bad so our hands are tied" :shrug:.

So they're Democrats? :v:

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

Frankly, I think your average American is about as likely to be familiar with the City of Pandemonium as they are to enjoy a sitcom reimagining of/response to No Exit which contains several dialogues about philosophical concepts.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

Very excited that Michael is finally arriving at the conclusion that the system is rotten to the core and needs to be torn down entirely. A true comrade

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

I really hate being bored and lonely so just being in eternal solitary confinement should be pretty effective on me but on the other hand I imagine I would probably hate having lava poured into my eyes also so it's probably kind of a tossup

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

Have we considered that the "making himself miserable" aspect of Doug's life is itself part of why he wouldn't make it in to the Good Place?

Like, one of the examples of point-getting behavior we saw in the first episode was "ate a sandwich." +1.04 points for keeping yourself alive and enjoying how something tastes. Doug gets points for sustainable eating, but loses out if he ever gets sick of radishes and lentils, because he also factors into the utilitarian calculus.

"Debased self before unpleasant pre-teen" would, I think, earn Bad Place points because you're not being ethical - that would be something like looking for an effective (but not cruel) way to teach that kid not to be a dickhead - but it also gets you Bad Place points because you're actively and deliberately doing harm to your own dignity and emotional well-being. Feeling guilty about crushing a bug is one thing, but working yourself into an state of anguish because of it, then holding a funeral that said bug will have absolutely no way of appreciating... that's not helping anyone.

Doug gets the basic concept, but he doesn't actually understand the idea at the center of what they're looking for, regardless of whether the metrics are valid to begin with.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

Senor Tron posted:

There are some Christians who hold up this as their concept of what hell is.

Your torture is being told the rules of the universe and that you hosed up your chance to get into heaven and can never undo it.

Joke's on them, I was mad at God before I died and I'll drat well stay mad about him for the rest of eternity if I have to

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

Democratic Pirate posted:

Give me an episode of “The Good British Baking Place” IMO.

Jason, not knowing what a "trifle" is, presents a traditional Floridian cake shaped like a gun. Chidi botches the technical challenge because he can't decide what temperature to set the oven to and thus never turns it on at all.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

PASS THE MASH posted:

My guess is that the issue is that simple everyday actions lose so many points that the only reason Mindy got in was because since she was dead she couldn’t earn those everyday bad points.

Chidi is going to feel simultaneously validated and horrified when it turns out that the realities of the world economy 1) make "should I get almond milk" a valid moral quandary per The Points System, and 2) completely unproductive when scale is taken into account

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

Jeremy Bearimy and the Earth timeline synced up at precisely that moment, clearly

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

Guy A. Person posted:

MaxieSatan had the only good take

brb getting this tattooed on my rear end

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

Honestly knowing what we know now I suspect the answer to that is "The Good Place either assumed they just made a bureaucratic error, or never got around to convening a committee to assign someone to investigate the matter"

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

Ah, but wouldn't the greatest subversion of expectations be to keep the current premise for several eps?

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

Klungar posted:

So much for my hope that with his free time, Bortles would show up in The Good-ish Place to antagonize Jason.

On the plus side it could be really funny if Jason's anti-soulmate is a massive Rams fan who either loves the guy just as much or thinks he's a chump

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

oopsie rock posted:

Hey guys I'm nearing the end of my rewatch and I have a theory that they're actually in the Bad Place, what do you all think??

seems like a stretch

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

MikeJF posted:

Jason lovingly teaching Chidi how to chill out and relax, I could see it.

One of the reboots I'm sure Michael tried it.

Michael lets them have video games... But only turn-based strategy ones. Chidi becomes too indecisive to get past turn three and Jason gets frustrated every time he attacks too early and gets wiped out.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

So based on those webisodes, Glenn is totally pulling a Michael next season, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

YaketySass posted:

The realization that everyone falls short of the standards of the true Good Place will prompt them to send a sinless being to be punished in everyone's stead and give everyone the opportunity to get redeemed by believing in him.

Season Four, Episode Thirteen: Derek Christ