Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Bobulus posted:

Well, he knows Trevor.

This show is really smartly written. I could easily see a scenario where Shawn goes "Michael dealt with Trevor too easily. Send someone further back, and make sure it's a demon Michael's never met."

Or he noticed because up until the Trevor had just been setting things up. We don't know how the ticker works, if it only pays attention to the person it wouldn't register Trevor until he met them. He could have done any number of things to set up the environment if that's the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Zil posted:

True, I just meant that he may not be able to avoid his natural instincts to be an absolute dick to anyone and everyone around him.

He could easily just do the little things to torture them. The show has made it clear that everything the demon's do is designed to torture them, even the frozen yogurt. He'd probably be happy for quite a while just making things a little bit worse for them for a long time, especially since the alternative is Shawn cocooning him. It's gooey in there.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

GreyjoyBastard posted:

this wasn't entirely my favorite episode but the judge chewout is making up for it

lol :stare:

"Good luck, frogman. Pullin' for ya."

After the podcast episode where they discuss her acting, I couldn't help but notice that she was just going crazy with how she was saying the lines. It was over the top, but not in a bad way.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

tarlibone posted:

I don't know... there wouldn't be any jokes.

Just nothing he thought of as jokes, it could still be funny.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Harrow posted:

Well, right, and I think that's sort of why it'd be an odd fit for this show. Like it's all very Touched by an Angel, y'know? But I do think if any show could do a story like that without it being the kind of cloying "angels watching over us" plot we've seen before on other shows, it's The Good Place.

Though, one other thought about the "Simone is a Good Place agent" theory. I hope she isn't--I like the idea that she's just a really cool human--but if she is, I like what that says about what the Good Place (the place) is. Simone isn't cloyingly nice and boring and sweet all day long. She's sort of... aggressively well-adjusted. She's funny and smart and though she's very kind, she's kind in a no-nonsense, "the truth hurts" kind of way. She's self-assured and confident, and she's accepting of other people's foibles even as she helps them avoid hurting themselves by going too far down those paths. If she's an indication of what the Good Place is like, then it's not the boringly "everything is fuzzy and warm and don't think too hard" nice place that Michael's facsimile Good Place was. It'd be something a lot more interesting and a lot more human.

Another possibility is that the Good Place is boring and full of the sort of empty niceness that it looks like it might be, and Simone (again, if she's a supernatural being in the first place) is a rogue Good Place agent the same way Michael is a rogue Bad Place agent, who recognizes that the whole system is flawed and nobody is truly happy. That could be an interesting plot, too.

But again: I'd prefer it if Simone was just a regular human who happens to be a very good and cool regular human.

See, I don't think the "Simone is a Good Place Agent" theory works. The judge checked in on the 4 humans, and immediately recognized everyone who wasn't a human. If Simone was a good place agent, the Judge should be able to see that immediately and she would have been grabbed by the doorman as well. I think she's just a decent human being.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Xelkelvos posted:

Both sides seem to be willing to bend the rules to their advantage when it suits them, but only the Bad Place people, as far as we know, are willing to out and out break them, though it still seems to be in more covert ways. There's a Higher Power that would mete out punishment if said rules were openly broken but we have no idea as to if that's actually true or how it would be enforced.

Well, we don't know exactly what happened to Trevor but it didn't look good. I doubt he got retired that quickly but I'm thinking the Judge would fill out the paperwork to do it.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

I might be the only person who notices this, but they named all the people they gave money too. Waomi Natts, Nicole Mankid, Eeeth Kurban, it's as bad/good as the puns. I know Brooklyn 99 does it sometime too, so it must be a Mike Schur show thing.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

tarlibone posted:

There're way more than two beans in that can of chili.

I think once you add the Peeps and the M&M's the amount of beans becomes of secondary importance.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

eke out posted:

the most remarkable thing about this week's podcast is learning that they did in fact make that actual chili (peeps and m&ms and all) and that Will Harper actually ate some of it

So did Megan Amram, but she got it early because it apparently got worse as stuff melted.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

GreyjoyBastard posted:

This episode wasn't quite as good as Jeremy Bearimy or Dance Dance Resolution, but it was really good.

This show seems to have this going on a lot. Even the really good episodes are up against stuff like Jeremy Bearimy, so it feels almost like a letdown when they aren't all at that level. It's not, the show is still amazing but it's a weird problem to have.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Caros posted:

And then they get caught immediately at the first factory. Because of course.

To be fair to Donkey Doug, an energy drink factory in Jacksonville is probably a high value target. The cops probably patrol it like they would a bank anywhere else.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

well yeah, I wouldn't argue its not commonly known as a synonym for "chaos" but the reference to it being literally hell is p uniquely a Milton reference. The Doom reference is a nice common reference to it but I didn't even pick that up when I played it as a kid so :shrug:

Granted, D&D isn't exactly hugely popular but it is one of the layers of Hell in Dungeons and Dragons, specifically the chaotic one.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

pwn posted:

While that is a salient point, so too is the objective fact that the absence of Butthole Spiders is preferable to Butthole Spiders, owing to not having spiders coming out of your butthole. They’re enormous

I think you're missing an important point about the Butthole Spiders, in that while they may eventually come out, first they have to go in and hang out for a while. While being enormous.

And they did eventually bring Mindy Cocaine, they stuck a bag on Derek before they sent him.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

double nine posted:

the charitable version of Forcett's age being a factor is that a points system designed with fairness in mind would try not to advantage those who were lucky to die old. A person who dies as a 40 year old simply has more time to accumulate positive or negative point values than a person who dies a the age of 25. So you adjust the threshold depending on ageo, which apparently means the points required at 65 is a hell of a lot higher than 500k positive points.

I think it's a combination of that and what other people are saying. People are living longer, and things that might have mattered when the system started are no longer being done or don't mean the same thing. I mean, giving someone a rock got what, 10000 points? Seriously? If it still gets someone that many points what other dumb poo poo that no one does anymore is still around, but that they haven't bothered to update?

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Lutha Mahtin posted:

this was explained in the most recent episode. the good place police are still arguing over which kind of cruelty-free paper they should use to print out the squad assignments for the case

That does bring up an interesting thing though. The good place people could have had a Janet get them some bananas or whatever, but they didn't. Maybe they just don't really use the Janets, and so wouldn't notice if one was missing.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

esperterra posted:

the Ryan Murphy method of television production

I think more Greg Berlanti, as Murphy has more of a quality drop after the first season than Schur or Berlanti.

And that Abby's show looks decent, it's got the Janitor from Scrubs and Lucy from Park's and Rec and they're pretty funny actors so it's got to at least be an ok show.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Gaz-L posted:

Bee tee dubs, if people don't know, the owner of the Jaguars is starting a pro-wrestling promotion, if you didn't think Jacksoville could get any more perfect as Jason's home city.

I'm betting Jason would have been in one already. You know, out back of his high school with a ring made out of rusted out Civic's and a trampoline with a hole in the middle that was donated by the most successful student to ever attend that school, who I'm sure is named something like "Peppy George" or something.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Your Taint posted:

Jason would have been one of those backyard wrestling idiots from the late 90's/early 2000's that were jumping off roofs into their homemade backyard ring and hitting each other with barbed wire bats with no idea how to do it any sort of safely.

I only say professional as most likely the winner would have gotten a gift certificate to the Wing Dump or something, he definitely seems like the kind of guy to do that poo poo.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

zamiel posted:

There's going to be a 6 'webisode' series online about how the Bad Place selected the 4 dingdongs for the experiment. The first one is already up on the EW's site exclusively and I didn't see it anywhere on youtube. Find it here along with an article. Should be good.

Here's to hoping Megan Amram wrote it so maybe she can get an Emmy that way. Or, best case scenario, she didn't write it and loses to it next year.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Xelkelvos posted:

I imagine they make a new "Medium place" where people basically get a year to be evaluated on their points and their potential to change without the externalities of the real world loving things up. The Soul Squad sticks around i nthe medium place to help people along and recruit others to help them and possibly reevaluate the multitudes of people in the Bad Place that probably didn't necessarily deserve to be there.

And watch this theory be blown apart by episode 3

Well, since they have Jeremy Bearimy the soul squad could always take a vacation and come back if it turns out that what they're doing works.

Also, and this still bugs me. Mr. Rogers is in the Bad Place and no one has pointed it out. Like, that should be a bigger deal amongst the humans. Even if Jason just asks offhandedly like "Wait, Mr. Rogers is in the Bad Place? What did he do wrong and who do I Molotov cocktail to fix it?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Rarity posted:

Marc Evan Jackson plays Holt's husband on B99 and also Michael Schur created both shows

He's been on every Schur show so far, including The Office. I think the Office one he was just a voice though.