Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

GreyjoyBastard posted:

- Of course Eleanor pronounces it "jiff" :argh:
She really is becoming a better person on Earth :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

Thanks for reminding me that I gotta get the S3 Blu-ray this week

And thanks for reminding me of a great show which was canceled :(

pwn
May 27, 2004

SNL is Good Place canon, nice

pwn
May 27, 2004

I predict the cliffhanger will follow the nature of last year’s cliffhanger where Shawn was in Michael’s office. We thought he was in the poo poo, buuuuuut...

pwn
May 27, 2004

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Which is like saying the jokes on this show aren't funny because they're just vibrations carried through the air, so if you think about it you're only into this show because it stimulates your tympanic membrane.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Holy poo poo, this show is back

pwn
May 27, 2004

tarlibone posted:

There're way more than two beans in that can of chili.
https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/one-brother-restaurant/n10678

pwn
May 27, 2004

Kaedric posted:

Weren't folks giving someone poo poo because it was 'creepy' to like Janet in that waitress outfit?

Just... sayin
I believe the exact quote was,

GreyjoyBastard posted:

please do not make the thread creepy thank you

pwn
May 27, 2004

I think it’s pretty obvious that

GreyjoyBastard posted:

please do not make the thread creepy thank you
was overreacting to

Davros1 posted:

So ... who do we petition to keep Janet in that waitress' uniform?
based on the criteria that

Davros1 posted:

So ... who do we petition to keep Janet in that waitress' uniform?
is simply admiring Carden’s appearance, and not getting gross about it

pwn
May 27, 2004

Lutha Mahtin posted:

amazing. Hulu live can get bent. multiple hiccups and now i don't even get to see the last bit. very quality. much jpegs

Wylie posted:

I had to pause the show to laugh at Randy "Macho Man" Savage NON-International Airport.

Edit: I'm glad I'm not the only one Hulu Live is forking over. What happens at the very end, after the gang lands in Budapest?
If either of you live within 30 miles of broadcasting towers, get an antenna, and you can watch live TV all the time without a subscription.

pwn
May 27, 2004

That slapstick gag at the start of the show was violently out of place. It took me several minutes to get back into the episode. The whole VR memory thing is a bit of a stretch that can be glossed over. Losing all your hair and spitting out teeth, only to “recover” a few minutes later, is straight Looney Tunes poo poo that has no place on Earth

Other than that, it was really good.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Sounds like a cheerful show, sad i never got around to watching it. Christ :stare:

pwn
May 27, 2004

Arist posted:

Please don't tell me there's a hiatus after this

Harrow posted:

One more episode before the hiatus.

Also hell YES Vicki is back
I looked it up, and not quite yet.

11.15 new episode, Don’t Let the Good Life Pass You By
11.22 thanksgiving night footbawl
11.29 some weird lego jurassic world specials
12.06 new episode, Janet(s)

THEN there’s a month or so with no new episodes - December 13th and 27th are reruns, 20th is a series finale of Timeless ( :woop: ), and January 3rd is a two-hour premier of that Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson competition show, The Titan Games. The Good Place returns January 10 at 9:30/8:30c, after the season premiere of Brooklyn Nine-Nine (Titan Games runs in the 8/7c slot.)

01.10 The Book of Dougs
01.17 Chidi Sees the Time-Knife
01.24 Pandemonium

pwn
May 27, 2004

ApplesandOranges posted:

The bit where Eleanor talks about how this could all be a test for Michael is either meta commentary or a jab at all those people who come up with the same theory, right?
Jen Statsky was asked that on the podcast this week, and it took her by surprise. It wasn’t the aim of the scene

pwn
May 27, 2004

I’ve never heard before this thread that it has any Hellish connotations, and I have certainly played Doom, and have been generally aware of Hell all my life. I’s just a simple country boy though

pwn
May 27, 2004

The podcast directly addresses this issue. Doug’s not dinged because he doesn’t know this is how it works. It’s a guess, based off a hallucination.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

but she didnt know doug's situation somehow
Yep, been mulling that one over tonight.

Another thing is What’s-her-name continuing where she left off when she was un-cocooned. Earlier this season, when Sean cocoons whatever demon (I think the fire monster who was sucking up?), he kept trying to talk after being cocooned. So, do you continue being aware while cocooned, or do you go into suspension? Or is it mainly dependent on if the Mega-Demons writing your lines really want to make a joke?

I only pick these nits because, I remember a while back, Schur said something about being advised to map the show out, to learn from the mistakes made by Lost. Sure, individual episodes are written as they come, but that there should be an end game towards which you work, and it will keep you focused from making sloppy mistakes as you try to wing it. It’s a testament to how amazing a job they do on this show, that the three internal logic inconsistencies noted thus far (Eleanor’s mind-blowing gag being the other) are so noticeable against an otherwise sound 3D world.

But when you consider that these three errors (?) are all from S3... well, I hope it isn’t a portent of things to come. The first two seasons were so damned tight, I’d hate to see it become a cartoon.

pwn
May 27, 2004

I know, it’s hard to bring up criticisms without evoking strong reactions.

Like, for real. If it goes that way, it’ll still be one of the best shows ever made.

pwn fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Nov 16, 2018

pwn
May 27, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

Knits. Like from a sweater. The kind you'd pick at.
Nits. Like the eggs of lice, requiring meticulous attention to detail to remove

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitpicking

Don’t gently caress with the idiom master, son :c00l:

Edit :hfive:

pwn
May 27, 2004

Regy Rusty posted:

I'm not convinced that what Doug has been doing wouldn't get him in to the good place. I think the purpose of his character is to demonstrate what it means to take the criteria to the extreme and maximize point gain to the expense of everything else.

If Doug had not been bound for the good place before Michael and Janet came to earth, I think they would have been aware of that (at least Janet would). The theory that it's their meddling that is affecting things seems more plausible to me.
They said in the podcast that Doug isn’t doomed, because he believes, not knows, about this system. He’s just working off a hallucination he had 45 years ago. That happened to be pretty accurate.

I like what someone said earlier: The reason Doug or anyone else isn’t getting in, is because no one does. That was what Sean was about to say when Michael Noped him outta there. Maybe The Accountants all are from the bad place, and they just send everyone there, regardless of points? The Good Place does work on an honour system, after all. They don’t even lock up their Janets!

Of course, Mindy/The Medium Place seemingly nullifies this whole cockamamie theory.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Robot Hobo posted:

I thought about this the other day. Mindy loved her exciting life of big business, cocaine parties, and wild sex. When she died, she was stuck in a suburb-rear end house, utterly alone. It's a bland, boring place, with neither the coke or people needed for drug-fueled orgies.

The Medium Place could be her personal Hell, despite looking like a step-up for other people.
While that is a salient point, so too is the objective fact that the absence of Butthole Spiders is preferable to Butthole Spiders, owing to not having spiders coming out of your butthole. They’re enormous

pwn fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Nov 18, 2018

pwn
May 27, 2004

Taear posted:

It doesn't work like that because you can just delete people's memories!

Also he's called Shawn because he has the worst spelling of the name.
Goddamn it, you’re right. I think I may have seen it written “Sean” in the CC. Thanks!

pwn
May 27, 2004

Cemetry Gator posted:

Also, [Sean] could just be lying to demoralize Michael and the others. I mean, you have to be pretty bad to do that, but I'm suspecting that Shawn is not a good guy.
He is, in fact, a naughty bitch.

pwn
May 27, 2004

There Bias Two posted:

Enkidel is most definitely going to the Bad Place.
Oh wow, I thought it was a deep cut ATHF reference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkS9XyVLC-Q

Then I realized that their immortal caveman’s name was Oog

pwn
May 27, 2004

FistEnergy posted:

I gave in to months of wife-badgering and binged Seasons 1 and 2. She was correct, it's very good and I was very wrong. Can someone please point me to the Season 2 thread so I can catch up?
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3834903

And have S1 too

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3790027

pwn
May 27, 2004

Arist posted:

I guess Abraham Lincoln was a lie, then
I always assumed the podcast bookends weren’t canon, but yeah, confirmed

QuoProQuid posted:

I doubt that the person who got into the Good Place 521 years ago is a real, historical person but looking at deaths in 1497 does bring up this person whose life sounds like Doug Forcett as a medieval nun.

She's the only person on the Wikipedia page of 1497 deaths who seems even close to a candidate for the Good Place.
It’s either that, and/or, 1497 was simply the year that The Bad Place started hacking the gibson. The last person to make it in may well have been a perfectly-decent nobody.

Nice research, though :discourse:

pwn fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Dec 7, 2018

pwn
May 27, 2004

Thranguy posted:

Lincoln was in the show, from Michael. The pilot?

Hendrix and Mozart were podcast ones.
Oops, you’re right.

Speaking of the podcast, I’m listening to it now, and this episode was originally going to be aired after the holiday break. NBC didn’t have new episodes of the other Thursday shows to air with it, but Schur convinced them to run it, in part to better the chances of D’Arcy being noticed as awards season starts to ramp up, so NBC moved poo poo around to make it happen.

That’s very cool, and good.

pwn
May 27, 2004

yorkinshire posted:

It seemed to me it has something to do with age. The accountant acted like Doug was doing well until he mentioned his age. Maybe the longer you live the higher your point total needs to be.
I think it’s just a matter of time needed to accrue the necessary points. However many points Doug had, and he’s in his 30s? Oh yes, he’s doing quite well, he’s on track to hit the mark. Oh he’s near death? Well he’s hosed. He’ll never make up that much ground in that short a time.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Or, it really is The Bad Place hacking the gibson.

I mean, look how obsessed Shawn is with The Four That Got Away.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Conclusions posted:

I could’ve sworn I saw Leslie Knope briefly in that rotating human stack.
Same, but it looks like a 1998 version of Amy Poehler.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Jameela Jamil was on Today this morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC1CPC506zE

pwn
May 27, 2004

Toast Museum posted:

Kristen Bell's contract caps them at 13 episodes per season, and since we opened the season with an hour-long episode, there should be five episodes left.
There have been 10 aired, three remain

From earlier:

pwn posted:

I looked it up, and not quite yet.

11.15 new episode, Don’t Let the Good Life Pass You By
11.22 thanksgiving night footbawl
11.29 some weird lego jurassic world specials
12.06 new episode, Janet(s)

THEN there’s a month or so with no new episodes - December 13th and 27th are reruns, 20th is a series finale of Timeless ( :woop: ), and January 3rd is a two-hour premier of that Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson competition show, The Titan Games. The Good Place returns January 10 at 9:30/8:30c, after the season premiere of Brooklyn Nine-Nine (Titan Games runs in the 8/7c slot.)

01.10 The Book of Dougs
01.17 Chidi Sees the Time-Knife
01.24 Pandemonium
Remember we had a multi-page derail about the meaning of the finale’s title.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Buggerlugs posted:

I checked on Netflix and it was 16 minutes for the whole episode?? How many commercial breaks do you Americans have to stretch that out to half an hour?

Seriously, it can't be that much work for 16 minutes of TV that it needs this much time between episodes.
The shows broadcast at 21:30 after commercials, no idea what the Netflix is up with that

pwn
May 27, 2004

Senor Tron posted:

On the subject of episode lengths, they've mentioned on the podcast they have different length versions of episodes. On Netflix are we getting the longest ones?

The_Doctor posted:

Sometimes, apparently. Also, the Blu-rays may have different extended cuts from the ones on NBC's own site. No-one seems to be able to pin down exactly what different versions exist for what episodes, or collate them in one place.
I made an attempt for S1. From that thread:

quote:

code:
Episode |  Air  | Uncut

1         22:50 / 26:25
2         21:29 / NA
3         21:35 / 25:04
4         21:31 / 22:43
5         21:32 / 26:29
6         21:30 / 26:32
7         21:30 / 24:25
8         21:28 / 25:25
9         21:31 / 25:04
10        21:31 / 23:58
11        21:28 / 26:43
12        21:30 / NA
13        23:50 / 27:05
12/13     45:20 / NA
when comparing the versions of the last two episodes to their broadcast version, I noticed that the end of Chapter 12 was slightly different from the broadcast. Mainly for pacing, but in the process, the last line between Michael and Shawn was cut. I decided to make this video in the interest of curiosity for other fans and possible access to this slightly different version, should one or the other not make the cut in an eventual DVD or Blu-Ray release.

I've made the assumption that the Chapters, as separate episodes, are likely to be chosen for the home video release, an assumption made evident by my labeling of the standalone E12 as "DVD." Of course I have no way of knowing what will happen in the future, so this is more for ease of distinguishing the two cuts from one another than anything else.

https://vimeo.com/200803220
If the video doesn’t embed correctly

I haven't compared - and don't intend to - the rest of the episode, but based on a glance at the TRT there doesn't appear to be any other changes. Just the ending.

As it turned out: The DVD (no Blu-ray, sad) did have extended “producer’s cut” versions of all the episodes - except eps 1 and 13. Those were only available on Hulu, and probably NBC’s site, though I never checked back then. So the DVD is, frustratingly, incomplete. And none of those extended versions are on Hulu anymore in the US; they expired shortly before S3 premiered. Netflix has them in broadcast length. And when I use the NBC app, this is what I see for S1:

S2 just has podcasts and clips, no episodes.

Amazon only has the broadcast-length versions as well. Only available for purchase, no streaming.

I never bothered comparing the runtimes for S2, so I couldn’t tell you the runtimes. Based on what i remember seeing on Hulu this Summer, they had extendeds for nearly every episode, except for the premiere, to which Schur apparently committed to the double-length premise and never had separate/extended cuts for those episodes. The rest were similar to S1, anywhere from 2 to 5-ish extra minutes each. I do not yet have the S2 DVD, but according to the Shout! Factory page, it contains extended episodes. Again, E1/2, “Everything is Great!,” appears as one double-length episode, but is not extended. I have never seen nor heard of any other version of this episode anywhere (besides the fact that they will be two episodes in syndication, obviously.)

Summary: In the US, you can see broadcast versions on Netflix and Amazon. The only place to see extended episodes for S1 and S2 is on DVD. Except S1E01 and S01E13, where there is nowhere to see them. Please prove me wrong, as I’d like to see them again.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Sub Rosa posted:

They are on the bluray that may be too good for the middle place you are existing in that only has DVDs.
I see that S1 was released on Blu-ray in the UK back in September, and S2 is set to be released in the UK in February. That’s great! I happen to have a player where I can change the playback region, so I will probably grab those in the next few months. Thanks!

pwn
May 27, 2004

Taear posted:

Forgetting the "are you asking if Lincoln lived longer than 512 years ago" because god I hope you're not asking that, he wouldn't qualify because he didn't do anything good with good intentions.
You'd have to be freeing the slaves entirely through altruism. And possibly without anyone dying actually?
Oh my god, I never even considered it, but of course the :spergin: rules of the good place would dictate that any points for freeing an entire race of people would be more than offset by the casualties of the resulting civil war. Probably those on both sides, too

pwn
May 27, 2004

1glitch0 posted:

That's a pretty good way to do it.
Yeah, it was how NBC marketed the show prior to its premiere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfBgT5djaQw

Obviously this is long-form, but the on-air promos hit all the same beats: You died, you’re in the Good Place, I’m not supposed to be here, why can’t I say “fork”

I have been working on convincing a friend to watch it, but she doesn’t like Kristin Bell. I just can’t even

pwn
May 27, 2004

I tried watching Cheers once, watched the pilot and peaced out.

I had heard that the show had a much different tone the first two (?) seasons, which gave me hope that it wasn’t another HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA sitcom. That hope was unfounded

pwn
May 27, 2004

GreenNight posted:

It's not often that a pilot episode is peak show.
True, but there has to be something there to keep my interest.

It may be a case of the Casablanca Effect, where the show was so groundbreaking that its influence has become entrenched in the fabric of those shows which have succeeded it, thus rendering it unremarkable to a new viewer.

I’ll give it another try, sometime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

I never watched it until late last Summer when I binged through all five seasons. I enjoyed them all fairly equally :)

One of the hardest laughs television has ever given me

https://vimeo.com/281101374