Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I wonder how many Mexican wrestlers will be in. I'm guessing 3-4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Let's rock https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1073677707743944704

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I'm expecting a Lucha heavy class with maybe 1-2 from Japan and rest of the world and nobody from America

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I really hope so

Everyone on the ballot (except vampiro) deserves to be in

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

It's Finkel's year, daddy

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

The class this year is loving horseshit

Where's the luchadors

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

L.A. Park, Jerry Jarrett, Jimmy Hart, Bill Apter, Howard Finkel, Gary Hart and Yuji Nagata make up the 2018 class of the Wrestling Observer Hall of Fame.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Davros1 posted:

L.A. Park, Jerry Jarrett, Jimmy Hart, Bill Apter, Howard Finkel, Gary Hart and Yuji Nagata make up the 2018 class of the Wrestling Observer Hall of Fame.

Good class

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Listening to WOR and it really makes me happy that Nagata made it in because basically every wrestler who votes voted for him :hai:

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

How is Bill Apter more deserving than Kiyoshi Tamura, Blue Panther or Cien Caras who are all now off the ballot

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon

Smoking Crow posted:

How is Bill Apter more deserving than Kiyoshi Tamura, Blue Panther or Cien Caras who are all now off the ballot

he's more famous than them

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What is the case for Finkel being in, exactly

As a WWE fan, I get it, but he didn't exactly set the world on fire like Michael Buffer

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Smoking Crow posted:

It's hard to overstate Apter's influence of the American wrestling scene in the 70s and 80s

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Cien Caras was a massive draw over 3 decades and was in the Mexican version of Hogan/Andre in his mask match with Rayo de Jalisco Jr, and Tamura and panther are 2 of the greatest technical wrestlers of all time

The hall of fame should always prioritize wrestlers, and no writer should be in before Wade Keller and Dave Meltzer

Weasel Dooley has a better argument to be in over Apter. Ted Turner had a bigger influence on wrestling in the 80s, and he's not even on the ballot

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Dec 20, 2018

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

:rip: CIMA. He could have the first wrestling fed on Mars and still not make it in.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it's time to open the Rowdy Ringsports WOR Hall of Fame

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Smoking Crow posted:

Cien Caras was a massive draw over 3 decades and was in the Mexican version of Hogan/Andre in his mask match with Rayo de Jalisco Jr, and Tamura and panther are 2 of the greatest technical wrestlers of all time

The hall of fame should always prioritize wrestlers, and no writer should be in before Wade Keller and Dave Meltzer

Weasel Dooley has a better argument to be in over Apter. Ted Turner had a bigger influence on wrestling in the 80s, and he's not even on the ballot

Turner goes on the ballot next year. Wrestlers are prioritized that's why it has been nearly impossible for non wrestlers to get in.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Smoking Crow posted:

If people wanted Cien Caras in, the people who vote in the Mexican wrestling area would have voted for him.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

The first entries into the wrestlehut hall of fame are CM Punk and the term "Release the doves!" as well as getting avatar pics of just an rear end

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cavauro posted:

The first entries into the wrestlehut hall of fame are CM Punk and the term "Release the doves!" as well as getting avatar pics of just an rear end

Banjo

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Randaconda posted:

If people wanted Cien Caras in, the people who vote in the Mexican wrestling area would have voted for him.

He was one vote away from staying on. He got the same percentage as Kenny Omega. It's not his fault that voting is trending younger, and a lot of his big matches happened in a time when lucha libre was banned from television. His matches can't be seen by people who weren't there.

Also, you say that they would vote him in, but if that's the case why do people keep finding new ways to put Arn Anderson on the ballot even though he keeps not making the cut?

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Dec 20, 2018

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

iirc the one problem with Mexico voting is that people who don't actually know Mexican wrestling voting for the one name they know, therefore becoming a voter in that area and effectively serving as a no vote for everyone else.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

NienNunb posted:

It's Finkel's year, daddy

Shot caller

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

iirc the one problem with Mexico voting is that people who don't actually know Mexican wrestling voting for the one name they know, therefore becoming a voter in that area and effectively serving as a no vote for everyone else.

Which confused me, as it did Dave, that Ultimo Guerrero didn't get in this year.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I don't think CM Punk or Randy Orton deserve to be in the HOF, but I am a little surprised at how low they fared the past few years. I guess CM Punk is out of sight, out of mind and failed spectacularly at MMA. His 2-3 year run at the end of WWE was hot, but he was never on "top" and in retrospect, many of his matches aren't so good. He opened the door for a lot of the smaller indy guys in WWE now, but I think Daniel Bryan gets more credit for kicking the door so hard it exploded (plus his match quality over the entirety of his career blows Punk's away).

I wonder how Current Wrestler voters rate him, considering he seems like such a dick and has no friends.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I have no problems with the inductees and am super glad Nagata got in cause I thought Inokism would keep him out, but boy does the Mexico ballot still need to be cleared out and reformed. Also they probably should get non-wrestlers on their own ballot too

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't really have a problem with anybody who gets in pretty much ever. Dave has a pretty good system set up that's about as fair as it could be.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Randaconda posted:

I don't really have a problem with anybody who gets in pretty much ever. Dave has a pretty good system set up that's about as fair as it could be.

Still waiting for someone to explain Finkel to me

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

EugeneJ posted:

Still waiting for someone to explain Finkel to me

Considered one of the greatest ring announcers in history and was so good people bitched about the new one for a decade after.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MassRafTer posted:

Considered one of the greatest ring announcers in history

Would you agree with me that referees like Tiger Hattori and Earl Hebner should have gone in before Finkel

You're setting a precedent for Hall of Famer Jeremy Borash

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

EugeneJ posted:

Would you agree with me that referees like Tiger Hattori and Earl Hebner should have gone in before Finkel

You're setting a precedent for Hall of Famer Jeremy Borash

Jimmy Lennon went in with the class of 1997 this isn't new.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lid posted:

Jimmy Lennon went in with the class of 1997 this isn't new.

And they are the only two in.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Finkel also had a behind the scenes job in the WWF

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Dave mentioned Finkel also did commentary once and it apparently was really good but Vince didn't like his looks so it was nixed

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Lid posted:

Which confused me, as it did Dave, that Ultimo Guerrero didn't get in this year.

I think it was just a bunch of people who otherwise don't follow Mexican wrestling voting LA Park because of his buzz this year.

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Dave mentioned Finkel also did commentary once and it apparently was really good but Vince didn't like his looks so it was nixed

:ughh: Goddamn it Vince.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Dave in the observer was going through some notable candidates coming up in the future, including Okada who should be a first ballot guy even if his career ended today, Rush who will go in but I wonder if his MLW run will get him in first ballot and Roman Reigns which will be an interesting case (hopefully he comes back to add more to his case but right now he doesn't have a case)

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Dave in the observer was going through some notable candidates coming up in the future, including Okada who should be a first ballot guy even if his career ended today, Rush who will go in but I wonder if his MLW run will get him in first ballot and Roman Reigns which will be an interesting case (hopefully he comes back to add more to his case but right now he doesn't have a case)

Roman may become a Big Daddy situation except rather than booking himself into death he was booked into death and his rise will be connected to the fall of the product. He'll get numbers of support for his work and that as a wrestler he was fine and on top for longer than most wrestlers can ever claim but he'll be viewed by another group as The King of the Ashes.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Big Daddy is a very British pick for Hall of Fame because he was everywhere despite being awful and not drawing crowds at all and was only put in that position because he was the promoters son, which is pretty much every British person described as a "National Treasure".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

If Kevin Nash isn't the HoF, then neither should Roman Reigns :colbert: