Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I've been wanting a space flight sim that does what it can to essentially be Elite: Dangerous with a slightly livelier universe and more gameplay features. This really looks like it could actually be that ticket.

Question: is this going to be a game where I can chill in my captain's quarters ala Picard and look out the window as I fly only to get paged to the bridge when we receive an incoming signal? I know this is kind of a dumb thing to want and its really not an actual gameplay loop or anything, but damnit if it isn't something I've wanted even more from a space flight sim than going from orbit to surface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
When people say X games are buggy on release, what kinda bugs are we talking? I’m really excited for this game as a first foray into the series, and I normally have a pretty high tolerance for bugs. A lot of the bugs that make people get all :bahgawd: on the forums for I tend to just kind of shrug at. Bugs for me have to be stuff like “your 30+ hour game save just got corrupted, have fun starting over!” for me to actually get mad at a game and check out. Really hoping that’s not what we’re potentially in for here. :ohdear:

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Zutaten posted:

Rebirth is actually a good game now, hth. Just treat it as a game in the X universe rather than an X game, and it's a good time now that they fixed it up.

Any good Let's Plays of X: Rebirth that feature the updated version of the game anyone can recommend? Would be interesting to get a feel for the gameplay and universe and tide me over while waiting for X4.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

This is a treasure. God drat I miss Adam Sessler and Morgan Webb. :unsmith:

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So I'm trying to understand the X games and their mechanism of travel and exploration. Sounds like X1-X3 used jump gates that took you to big system bubbles (not unlike EVE Online) that took some time to fly around and explore in. Then in X: Rebirth, they did some weird highway thing instead of the gates? What is the functional difference here?

For me, gates between systems always made the game universe feel small. EVE Online feels extremely small to me since you can gate between systems in seconds and similarly warp around anywhere you want inside the system in seconds. I like space games that feel bigger, even if it means taking minutes at a time to get between locations and objectives. Any chance X4 is going to lean in the latter direction?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Obtuse as it is sometimes, I really like Elite Dangerous’s UI. Looking at different parts of the ship to actually control the ship is really immersive and makes me feel like I’m actually flying a space ship rather than accessing some taped-on-top operating system that allows me to manipulate values of code in the game’s memory. I personally hope that’s the direction they take.