Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I think Rebirth after the DLC and patches was a decent game, it just wasn't as good as X3, especially when it came to end game shenannigans. I understand before that though it was a complete mess.

Also I think they said they're using size like rebirth with a role description for ship classes, so stuff like small fighter and medium transport and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I just hope stuff like the Paranid having two factions at war with each other means they have different ships.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I'm kinda glad for them apparently turning damage off while you're on autopilot just because I've died so many loving times in X3:TC from autopiloting. So many times.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Yeah, making basic getting around not need SETA to not be painful even for short distances is cool, but sometimes you just want to wait for a trade or construction to finish.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Good Dumplings posted:

That's kind of like asking if the next Bethesda game will remove fast travel, there's going to be some kind of sector system, either like existing X3 gates/highways or Elite's method of letting you jump to systems within range. Though saying EVE feels small is... odd. Have you never done a run from nullsec to Jita for instance? It's not exactly a quick experience.

I do think the old x3 system did feel small mostly because everything was generally a 50x50x50 cube between gates. The gates are still in X:R and will be in X4 but the systems themselves should be larger.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I figure that it'll probably be a mess at first no matter what, but hopefully patching fixes the worst bits. Also that they learn how to make a UI that doesn't make me cry blood.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Sedisp posted:

Nah they play off the joke as it was originally named the Pride of Albion and someone renamed it in the computer because it smelled bad.

Like the devs were oddly excited about the ship being garbage.

I can kinda see that in a there's a certain charm to the kinda run down space western aesthetic. Most of X4 didn't really fit it too well, but I did actually like how much of a poo poo heap Devires in general was.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Sedisp posted:

Absolutely the Millennium Falcon/Serenity is proof of this. But critically they're still named something cool.

Something beat up and worn down can be cool. No one is like thats so awesome that this smells like poo poo.

Oh yeah, I totally agree there. I just also kinda see what they were going for. Even as someone who enjoyed X:R after patches there are a lot of ideas in it that are like fairly close to being decent that miss the mark pretty badly.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

X3 had the same problem with energy cells.

Amusingly in X3 I never got to the point of ecell problems, but I always had a lot of trouble outfitting medium sized ships. Like for whatever reason medium shields would always be out of stock almost everywhere so it was an annoying long time of jumping all around to find some. Also satellites.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

NeurosisHead posted:

With X3 my biggest reason to become a TITAN OF INDUSTRY was to support my own factories pumping out weapons, shields, and other junk for outfitting my fleet. I liked that there was a sort of progression to it; trade myself in small commodities until I could hire a UT, hire more UT's while I explored the universe, hunted pirates, and set up a satellite network, start building to fill supply gaps in systems, then start building my own fleet and company support infrastructure.

God drat I want this to be X3: Prettier With Quality of Life Improvements Edition.

Needing factories once you're outfitting entire fleets is nice, needing to scrounge like mad to outfit you're first corvette is a bit over the top.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

After Rebirth, and Rebirth takes place like, a century or two after the gate system collapsed I think? A long time, basically. Nothing remains of the former universe either stylistically or even technologically. Much tech was lost (no jump drives in X4) and gate separation has encouraged technology to further exploit within solar systems (highways and trans orbital accelerators) and everyone has wildly redesigned their ships.

Essentially it has some of the X races and locations in it but the places are unrecognizable as is much of the technology.

It technically follows a single plot but it's arbitrarily removed both in distance and in time from earlier games.

X:Rebirth is like 30ish years I thought long enough that people have had to adapt to the new gateless world, but there are people who remember the pre-closure universe too.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

E:D's flight model is like one of the few places where it felt really good to me. Otherwise it felt like they didn't figure out what they wanted their gameplay loop to be and everything doesn't pay nearly enough and there's nothing to really worth for other than grinding credits for bigger ships. I love occasionally flying my FAS in combat though.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I did too honestly. I also hope there are some systems as neat looking as Devries/the bit of Omicron Lyrae which is in the atmosphere.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I expect it to be a mess, but hopefully one with less absolutely why the gently caress would you do this mechanics than vanilla rebirth.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I mean I've seen people literally bitch about others asking if you can play on a controller which made me confused. Flight stuff often feels alright on controller and it's fairly easy to reach your keyboard.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

The X games have a lot of menu fiddling to do. I wouldn't recommend using a controller unless you like switching to mouse a lot.

I played E:D like that until I got a HOTAS it wasn't too bad. Sometimes it feels nice just because even with a HOTAS I occasionally need to push weird as poo poo to do stuff.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

You were, but you could buy fleets of other ships.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

Sorry, rebirth had those ships. But yes you could only fly the one.

In X4 you can fly everything, so if it has them, which I would assume, you can fly them.

It looks like they're still using part of the Rebirth model where you regularly use very big freighters, while also including more medium sized ones.

Honestly I feel like X:R would have worked a lot better in one ship if there was way more upgrading to be done to it. It was too little for that style.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

My favorite was blowing up Teladi in X3. My profffiiiiiitssss. Followed by a super half-assed aaaaah.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

My understanding is that it was X3:TC/AP style.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Yeah I'm glad for SETA to not feel required for getting around even small scale, but am also happy to still have it for when I'm building poo poo or trading.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

queeb posted:

so im guesing like ANT and Argon are allied or something? do factions ahte eachother or anything? im currently ranked up with both of them, wonder if you get cut off eventually and have to choose one or something

The two Paranid factions hate each other.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

To me it feels way better than I expected for a launch, but with plenty of niggles and bugs that need to be fixed before it reaches it's potential.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Thom12255 posted:

I wish they'd abandoned the scanning mini-games.

I think they'd work okay with decent guidance and if they were just a way to get some more cash for baby traders who are doing it alone, but as is, yeah it's too much of a pain to bother with.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

No, actually I didn't realize this for a long time either but there will be little yellow !s on the edge of the station icon too.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Cardiovorax posted:

This is really off-topic, but I remember this game that was basically the X series, but it was 2D, and had multiple story lines you could, one of which was that you got to be a psychic super-soldier and made your ships from your mind? And the Khaak equivalent were sectors full of sentient nano-swarms. It was part of a series. Anyone remember that, even vaguely? I have been trying for ages to remember what it was called because it was janky but also really cool.

I figure if there's any place to ask where people might know, it's here. If you don't want this here, Owl Fancier, just say so, I'll edit it out.

Escape Velocity Nova?

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I mean I feel like stuff in this game is explained better than X3:TC but uh, that's not saying much, and since it's new there's less poo poo for me to read to figure out what the gently caress is going on.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

androo posted:

I've got high hopes for the game, as someone who has failed to get into X3 on multiple occasions, but I need to get around this god-awful UI first. Seriously, on of the worst UIs I've ever used, both aesthetically (the tutorial pop-ups look hilarious) and from a design perspective (there's no flow to anything / no sense of hierarchy).

It helps that early money is easy so I can skip a lot of the trade grind.

I both totally agree, yet also coming from x3 and X:R am semi-impressed that the UI is as usable as it is. This game is like extremely Egosoft in general.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I do like there being a couple of governments per race, it makes sense with the gates shutting off then slowly rebooting. Heck I'd like to see the Rebirth systems added in at some point for a third Argon government, with Terran pals.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Huh I wonder if you can't full on make the pirate factions like you, I got a quest from one randomly while poking about and gained rep which was neat. I also vaguely wonder if the Republic in Second Contact is supposed to be Terran since they use trans-orbital accelerators rather than superhighways.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Communist Bear posted:

I'm tempted to reinstall Rebirth now and see how far it's come along...although riding about the Albion Skunk makes me resistant to that idea.

EDIT: I mean, is it me, or comparatively does Foundations look a bit outdated and not nearly as interesting compared to Rebirth?

I think in general X4 looks better technically but the smaller scale of X:R lead to some really dramatic areas and systems since you generally went to more places in them/Devires was absolutely stunning for a system.

edit: At the base X4 feels like I wanted with regards to X:R keeping most of the good and getting rid of most of the bad, though some mechanics need another run or two like scanning can still be a pain in the rear end compared to what you get. I'm pretty excited to see how this gets with patches.

Gorelab fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Dec 4, 2018

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

The big thing I always have trouble with, even going from to X3 from Rebirth is that building stations feels way more confusing to me/marines are insano-weird complicated and I can never figure out how to even get a start to even steal corvettes.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I think the main thing I'd want outside of adding more sectors for more factions is a few more wilderness sectors/pirate sectors.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Slickdrac posted:

At the moment, there are a number of AI pathing bugs with temp "fixes" of extremes, to the point where autopilot generally cannot take hull damage when ramming things, and occasionally will (by intention at the moment) just drive through walls and other solid objects to get where they are going. Teladi trade stations are the most glaring example of this besides asteroid belts

To be fair just straight up 'you don't take damage on autopilot' is better than x3 where I've died way too often autopiloting into a gate. Or into the dock.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

pixaal posted:

Maybe no one else has tested it but collision damage is completely off. I had to get up while mid travel speed towards a station and my ship slammed right into it bounced off and took no damage. I have no engaged auto-pilot since it keeps deciding that after arriving to where I tell it it's going to now go to the active mission's way point and move me several sectors leaving me very confused.

I've definitely taken damage from ramming stuff. I once got smashed for like 60% of my hull hitting an asteroid in travel mode.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Do you scan outside of scan mode? Because I could see that being obnoxious, at least in scan mode too you have to really really get up in there which helps avoid accidents when looking for one.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

How do you sell a ship in this game?

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Section Z posted:

Honestly for all the issues, "Indie Dev makes rough edges launch" is still a far better image than "Another EA Space Game". Though it does help that they have a known track record for actually fixing their poo poo over time.

Honestly they kinda remind me of pre-CK2 Paradox, where stuff was often a complete mess at launch but it'd eventually get pretty drat good. I'm honestly amazed how far Paradox has come.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I mean it's better than I expected going in based on previous x releases, but yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Saul Kain posted:

Would you say X4 is worth getting? I sunk way too many hours into X3 and X3:TC. I skipped Rebirth because it looked awful.

I'd wait a bit, personally. It's good for an Egosoft release, but it's still a decent mess. It's decently fun and playable though.