Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corsec
Apr 17, 2007
I've played a lot of X3 years ago and I'm now considering playing this. How does this game compare to the various Litcube-flavoured mods for X3? Is there any reason to still prefer modded X3, or is this an improvement?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corsec
Apr 17, 2007

Less Fat Luke posted:

Mayem 3 and it's successors are still interesting and very unique; X4 though is pretty good in it's current form and if you enjoyed any of the X games you'd almost certainly enjoy this one. Litcube itself was interesting but a little "fake" if that makes sense - like you'd build a huge empire in LU but the materials and goods you sold just vanished into the ether and had fake demands. Mayhem added a real economy which was amazing, and that's also one of the coolest parts of X4 - shipyards will not build ships without fairly complex chains of supply and you can fill those needs or disrupt them with enjoyable effects.

It lacks a ton of the nice QoL stuff from LU and Mayhem though but the UI is pretty functional and the map is great. Honestly just go for it.

Does X4 model the planetside economy or is supply/demand only calculated from ingame space stations? Is the gameplay still mostly taking place within a small volume between jumpgates, or does it allow for deeper space? That was one of the offputting things about the older X games; it didn't really feel like space so much as a maze of rooms, and the planets functionally didn't exist.

I'm not really interested in the empire buiilding, I prefer to lead a small fleet in either pirate or bounty hunting operations and to gain cash/ships from combat. Does the game cater to that kind of playstyle or is it still as empire-focused as the previous games?

Corsec
Apr 17, 2007
Thanks for the responses guys, that's helpful. Is it still necessary to run the game overnight in SETA if I want enough cash for empire-building or can that part of the game be achieved within a reasonable timeframe while actively playing?

That's why I didn't commit to empire-building in previous games, it seemed to require an unreasonable amount of time and also to run the game while AFK.

Corsec
Apr 17, 2007

ZombyDog posted:

Actually, if you have the Split DLC I'd recommend the Fire's of Defeat start.

Interesting, it sounds like a cool way to strucutre the first part of a playthrough. How well does boarding and capturing work ingame? In X3AP I needed mods to control bail rates and thresholds if I wanted to force pilot bails, and marine boarding was no fun at all.

Corsec
Apr 17, 2007
Is the vanilla game tolerable or is it still a game that needs mods to be good? The Star Worlds Interworlds mods seems like a standout, any experiences of it?

Thanks for the description of capturing/boarding, it sounds like X3AP's but maybe more convenient.

Thanks for all the feedback, this has been on my want-to-play list for years.