Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
As someone who never played Rebirth what killed the gate system and how did everyone move between systems?

Did the gate builders finally get tired of our poo poo and closed them down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
I didn't realize this was so close to coming out. Just re-discovered it a few days ago.

Does this mean I get to use the old joystick I bought for X3 and never used?

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Oh no. I just barely meet the minimum specs. :(

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Geforce GTX 960 and an Intel 4690.

Welp. Looks like I know what my weight loss goal is now.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Just poked my head into the game this evening and I think I'm in love.

For reference if anyone cares: i5-4690 and GTX 960 runs like butter on ultra settings.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
I bounced off the game when it came out , but I think im ready to give it another try. How is the weapon variety now in X4? I seem to remember there were only a few at launch. I've missed the crazy weapon variety in X3.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

They added faction specific weapons to every player race, and gave the Split basically their own constellation of weapon choices that are separate from vanilla. It helped a lot. (tho frankly some of them are OP, combat design and balance have never been egosoft's strengths.)

It's unclear if the new DLC will have new weapons, but presumably Terrans will have at least *some* of their own weapons. If we're lucky the pirate faction (almost certainly the Yaki) will too.

They also did an FX pass on a lot of weapons and it helps a lot more than you might think just reading that.

Ok cool. Hopefully this isn't :can:, but....Boron?

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Shiiiiiit.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
I've been reading up on X4 and trying to catch up on what happened in Albion Prelude and Rebirth. I saw mention of Marteen Winters releasing 10 billion Xenon drones on the Solar system. When did that happen/how the gently caress did they fight them off? Or is that referring to the original time the Xenon attacked Earth long before the games?

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
drat, that's intense. Maybe I need to play Albion Prelude first so I can see all that happen.

It is pretty dumb of the Argon to try messing with AGI though. They've been fighting the Xenon for 700 years at this point.

Travic fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Feb 23, 2021

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

3 posted:

While Albion Prelude isn't bad, I will say that most of that information comes from the X-Encyclopedia that came with the big deluxe bundle of all the old X games Egosoft had available a while back. The gate closure stuff all happens after Albion Prelude, and the game itself frames the plot really weirdly because while it doesn't pretend like the bombing of the Torus wasn't genocide, for some reason it still expected you to act like the Argon were the good guys and the Terran plot was only added to the game after launch.

That would explain why it was so janky when I started as a Terran Commander. :v: I think I got the Super Box, but I'll have to check when I get home.

One upside to starting a game in AP is now I feel better about X4. One of my biggest complaints (and again I'm sorry if this is :can:) was that I remembered ships in X3 being bigger. Or at least it felt that way. Starting AP and flying next to some M1s and M2s showed that I was wrong. Win win!

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
As I'm reading more.(since I haven't had time to play:argh:) it sounds like the new Split ships straight up outclass Vanilla ships. Is that accurate?

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Antigravitas posted:

In player hands, kind of. Split are all dakka and speed. Being faster means you can engage and disengage at will, which is immensely powerful since you can pick your fights and whittle down an opponent.

The split suck at sustained damage output and staying power, so their capital ships suffer a bit. A Rattlesnake can be brought down very quickly because it just does not have staying power and its exposed engines draw a lot of fire. Once it can't maneuver anymore it melts very quickly.

The Split carrier is hilarious though. Just all the dakka and a good chunk of speed. Immune to fighters basically, dies to a destroyer if you aren't careful.

Note though that the AI doesn't fare well in Split ships because they are too flimsy. You need to fly well to use them effectively.

That sounds pretty well balanced. I was worried Egosoft hadn't balanced the new hotness and the Split were just plain better. Sounds like they operate just like they did in X3.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Where can I sell these unstable crystals? I've tried the Hatikvah trading station but they don't want them and I can't seem to find any black market missions. I'm stuck.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Less Fat Luke posted:

I think you have to unlock black markets by scanning station signals until you find a piracy related one.

So far I've found: "Get me off this station", "Kill random guy", and "Disable turrets".

And if course the discount ones, but I doubt that's it.

Does doing one unlock all black markets or just for that station?

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
I thought I heard the emergency klaxon over the TV at work and for a second I got excited that there might be a station signal somewhere nearby.

I may have played too much X4 this weekend.

Did they decrease the spawn rate of crystals? I remember people recommending crystal hunting as a good way to make money in the early game, but they seem veeeery rare.

Travic fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Mar 1, 2021

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
drat. Oh well. I got lucky with a few crystals and some missions and made enough to buy a miner who is bringing in monstrous (for me) amounts of money. I do feel bad because I don't pay these people at all and they've already paid back the cost of the ship. :v:

I'm glad I watched some tutorial videos about getting started because I would have tried to set up an auto trader instead of a miner. Like I did in X3.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Mining nerfs?

It's really interesting. I bought this game back when it came out and bounced off of it until it got patched up. In true Egosoft fashion. Then I get super into Factorio and Dyson Sphere program and right about the time I get done with those I remember X4 exists. A perfect storm of industry games.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Ok I'm really starting to get into this. Unfortunately that means I have lots of questions.

Is it worth it to add crew to my miners and traders? Will that make them work faster?

How do I get started autotrading? I don't really want to install one of those mods that makes autotrading one or zero stars, but I will if I have to. Do I just have to put the pilot in a cheap fighter and tell her to revisit known stations until she's 3 stars?

Do I need resources probes to help my miners? They seem to be mining just fine without them, but would they be more efficient with probes?

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

queeb posted:

2. Ive found running miners on sector automine skills up the pilots fast, then you can swap them into trade ships after awhile. sector autominers in grand exchange make a lot of money, since all 3 "zones" in grand exchange count as 1 sector, so they'll cover that whole area.

Is that with Learning All the Things or vanilla? Currently I'm running with no mods.

One other question I though of. To transfer pilots do I have to have both ships dock at the same station or can I just reassign them? I reassigned a guy to my ship and he hasn't moved. Do I have to go physically pick him up?

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
drat that looks good. I'm excited to see how things went after the jump gate shutdown. I imagine the Terrans thought, "Fuckin' sweet! No more annoying Commonwealth drama." They have accelerator gates connecting their entire territory so they probably were barely even bothered.

Though if I'm not mistaken there appeared to be a Terran built/modified Jump Gate.

Travic fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Mar 2, 2021

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
I always figured it was just the Terrans and the ATF.

I watched it again and yeah that looks like the Torus. How long were the gates down!?

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Squiggle posted:

X3:AP was 2948 AD, and X4 is 2992 AD - so 45ish years?

Thanks. I'm at work looking for the dates and couldn't find them.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Psycho Landlord posted:

Oh right the ATF probably still exists.

And they are probably still pretty piiiiiiiiiiiiiiised.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Psycho Landlord posted:

I can't wait for the gate to open back up and the Valhalla to immediately bust into argon space looking for some payback

"Who gives a poo poo if it can't fit through the gate?! The Pain Train has arrived!"

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Ok I gave my miners a chance to level up on their own just to see how slow it was and its drat slow.

It's mod time. What is the preferred XP mod these days?

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

This is what I was looking for as well. Did I ask the question wrong?

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Less Fat Luke posted:

Nope just missed the question :)

Oh ok. I was worried I was being a dummy. Thanks for the tip. :)

Travic fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 4, 2021

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
So station building. I was planning on starting with refined metals since I've heard that's a good place to start. Does this look like a good station?

My idea was to put one energy cell plant then add as many production modules as that could support. Then add a habitat for the production bonus.

Travic fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Mar 4, 2021

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
The more I read the more it seems like there is a race against time to get an industrial base set up and cranking out ships before the Xenon overtake everyone. Is that accurate?

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

OwlFancier posted:

It's a bit... hard to tell honestly. Wars progress in real time so it can take real life days to figure out whether or not a push is likely to be long term successful.

The main areas of ingress you would likely notice would be hatikvah's choice, because it's on the highway and the xenon gate, for some absolutely insane reason, is located right next to the highway and the northeast gate, so you end up flying through xenon fleets fairly regularly. And the other would be the teladi HQ in the northeast because they also have a xenon gate right next to the HQ, for some reason (just tow the loving thing away, guys, you can do that according to the lore) and their HQ can end up shot to pieces fairly quickly.

But for the most part the xenon do not normally make that much progress, the area around the gates often gets devastated and there is the occasional breakthrough fleet that goes on a jaunt around the universe, but otherwise the world more or less continues. Of course because everything is simulated, you can upset this, because if you knock out a lot of the fleets of a faction (either personally, or by selling guns to someone who doesn't like them) you can make them more susceptible to xenon attacks, and bad luck can cause this to happen anyway.

There are mods you can add to change this up too, if you want.

Ok. That sounds pretty fair. Just as long as I don't have to scramble to get a military industrial complex together in 10 hours. I'd like to take my time.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Ok so I shouldn't be too worried then. Thanks.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
I can't wait until we find the lost Boron sectors and they've turned into a hyper militant empire during the gate shutdown. Imagine Rambo but as a squid.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
How do I get my builders to actually buy stuff? I tell them to build and provide them with money and they just kind of sit there.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Ok I see. I built a refined metals factory and it took forever to get all the resources. Now I'm working on the PHQ. Can I assign a trader to the station and have it gather the stuff I need for research? Or do do I have to do that stuff manually?

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Less Fat Luke posted:

Yep if you have a manager that works fine, select the research item you want and the "recommended credits" slider will match the cost, and when given credits any traders/miners assigned will collect what you need.

Spiffy. Having played X3 (and not gotten too far) X4 seems waaaay more user friendly.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Oh yeah. When I set up my refined metal factory I found I could just select miners and click "Mine for Commander" and boom. Automated miners dedicated to that station.

Hats off to you Egosoft. Well done.

...Autopilot's still garbage though.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
So I've been exploring the galaxy while I wait for research to complete and I checked in after an hour or so and there was still no progress. After some searching I realized I'd done absolutely everything correctly...except assign a manager. Fuuuuuuuuuck.

On a different note, how do satellites work? I have them all over the place, but sometimes they don't give me information about a station. Even if they're right next to it. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. What gives?

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

chglcu posted:

The station in question is probably vertically up or down far enough that it puts it outside the spherical radius of the satellite's sensor range. The map doesn't really handle verticality all that well.

They're all on the ecliptic plane. I mean right next the the station.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Thom12255 posted:

I believe satellites will update the stations trade offers but to see the full information about the station and its storage you need to have scanned the station with your scanner.

Ah ok. Thanks.