Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I loves me some X games. I easily played hundreds of hours of X3. Rebirth was a huge disappointment though.

I am definitely looking forward to this one. One thing that I will add though, is that egosoft games always come out as buggy messes on release. They do put in the time and effort to fix them, but it takes a while. Even if X4 is coming out this year, don't expect it to be really finished until they come out with a 2.0 version a year later.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Oct 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Yeah, in X3, you tended to have your own luxury yacht type ship that you personally flew while you ran your empire. That ship was usually something like a Hyperion vanguard or a springblossom. The nicer M6 class ships tended to have a good balance between power and mobility.

I personally often did personnel transport missions in something like the claimable iguana vanguard, while working to earn enough for a small fleet of automated trader mistrals. After that came my own TL ship, and then the station building began. I usually started with 1 MJ shields for easy money.

I will say that streamlining station building in X4 looks really nice. Modless complexes in X3 were a horrible mess of pipes and slowdowns.

Eventually you get your own big missile complex going and go on rampages wiping out anybody who opposes you.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Glare Seethe posted:

I hope they hired the same voice actress for the ship computer because the way she enunciated some of those sector names will forever be burned into my brain. THE. VAULT.
Was it actually voiced by a person? I figured it was just some sort of synthesized text to speech thing, what with the dead tone and weird pronunciations.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I always found the space-empire part of X3 to be my favorite part. I think I am a Teladi at heart, but I always found myself getting Argon rep for those sweet OTAS ships. Mainly the mistral, which was my automated trader of choice. The Boreas always had a special place in my hanger too, even after the nerf.

Complex building in X3 was a giant pain in the butt without mods though. I once built a giant modless complex in Antigone Memorial, and the mess of tubes made being in the sector terrible. Just glancing at it slowed the game down to a crawl. Complex cleaner was one of my favorite mods, at least before LU became popular.

Where did everybody like to build in X3? I typically found I would start with something like an an energy-input 1 MJ shield complex in power circle. It is safe in the middle of Argon core space, and has a lot of SPPs for energy cells. 1 MJ shields are easy to move, and have one of the better returns on investment.
http://grangegame.co.uk/x3tcocc.html?factories=s1m,Argon,S,5;cb,Argon,L,1;cr,Argon,L,1;om,Argon,L,1,18;om,Argon,L,1,8&wares=ore,111,145,true

I would usually build a big energy-input space weed complex in ministry of finance, even though the return isn't quite as good at 1 MJ shields. I feel like I need to give in to my teladi nature though. Ministry of finance also has a few nice SPPs to help fuel a complex.

Once I had enough money to consider building closed loop complexes (SPPs are expensive!), I usually ended up in Antigone Memorial. I also had a fondness for being friendly to the Yaki, and setting up around Savage Spur.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Expansion huh? That sounds like the time when I may finally give this game an honest shot. Maybe after the first post-expansion bugfix patch. I played at least a thousand hours of X3, and was burned by rebirth. I am always hankering for more X, but I know how much extra time it takes for their games to really mature.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Nice. I played a ton of X3, but had been holding off on really digging into X4 until it got a bit more mature. I think it may finally be time for me to give the game an honest shot. It also helps that I pretty much have all the time in the world at the moment.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Just really started playing the game. I bought a miner in argon prime and set its behavior to mine silicon. It mined up a full cargo hold, but now it is sitting at "calculating parameters" forever. Is there something I need to do in order to boot it in the thrusters?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I think I have my automated miner mostly straightened out. He is earning some money now.

Right now I feel like my biggest hurdle is just exploration. Some of the stations are out in the middle of nowhere, and flying to everything seems tedious. In X3 I would have sent a scout or two out with the explore command to drop satellites in the center of each sector. What is the best way to explore here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Playing X3 with a gamepad sounds awful. There are a lot of fiddly menus. If you use a keyboard and mouse you'll learn a lot of the shortcuts though, which speed things up. If I remember correctly, the shortcut for entering a ship is shift-e.