Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007
Assuming I'm a novice at the X-universe, does the game have a campaign working as a tutorial (i.e No Man Sky), or does it throw players into the deep end sandbox?
I'm pretty bad at finding my own fun in games, so I'd prefer the game to set clear goals I can do. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007

kedo posted:

I'm struggling with what are probably dumb, simple things like, "how do I make this trade ship actually go out and trade."

You're absolutely not the only one - the interface and game feedback leaves a lot to be desired.
Classics include new players purchasing mining ships using the "Minimum Preset" loadout which doesn't include an actual mining laser, trying to use a console requiring a Security Bypass System when they only have a Security Decryption System, and trying to build the player HQ with Terran materials (which are scarce in the Commonwealth).

There is an active and friendly Discord for the game I highly recommend where no questions are too stupid or frowned upon: https://discord.gg/J8u6Kdc. The devs also sometimes chime in to help out.

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007

madfury posted:

I'm at the end of Split questline where I have to make a choise. I cant find a proper answer which one is the clear "chaos" path? Im doing a playthough where everyone should be at war to give Xenon better chances of expanding. Organic life is overrated. Anyone got suggestions which ending is more war oriented?

If I remember correctly, the CUB (Court of Curbs) aren't at war with the Argons/Antigone Republic while ZYA are. At the same time, not helping ZYA usually allows the Xenon free reign in the northern sectors (and in my game, the Xenon almost wiped ZYA out).

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007

Major Isoor posted:

So yeah, am I able to limit how much storage space the energy cells take up? So that for example, it'll stop producing energy cells once the storage module is 20% full, so that it'll leave 80% for hull parts.

If you check the logical overview for your station, you can tick away the "Automatically allocate Storage" option and set it manually to whatever you want.

Edit: I'll throw in a recommendation for the Egosoft X4 discord - https://discord.gg/J8u6Kdc . It has a channel specifically for X4 questions and can probably respond quicker than this thread.

Lamquin fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jan 17, 2022

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007

Trenchdeep posted:

I want an Asgard to float around the galaxy in, but I have to make it myself yeah?

So I need the production module and the blueprint, is there anything else outside of a lot of money?

Gonna put beam weapons on everything and turn it into a discoball.

If you want to be really daring you could always try boarding one of the intervention Asgards heading into Xenon space. Or in Terran space. :yarr:

Otherwise yes, all you need are the blueprints for the Asgard, the module blueprints for it (don't forget the big gun blueprint!), and an XL Fab module in your shipyard.

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007

sloppy portmanteau posted:

Is there a list of the new missions anywhere? I did the stranded start and I think I might be done with that whole plot, I helped them bust out Maestros brother and got the raven.

Then I activated what I assume is the lead in to the other plot by flying in to Windfall III, where I saved some guy from the Syndicate, but then he just disappears after flying to Avarice, though that in turn led me to saving a Teladi from his broken down ship, getting him a new ship, and then we went to do some negotiations for a good price on some hull parts. I sold those.. but then nothing? Am I supposed to trigger something else here somehow? And what happened to that guy I saved from the Syndicate?

I believe you need to have the PHQ and possibly Dal up and running to continue the questline with the Teladi trader. It involves some research.

Trader rescue: He is basically just a glorified breadcrumb to get you into the Avarice system (to meet the Teladi trader with his ship unable to move). If you save him, you get a bit of RIP reputation. If you kill him, you get a bit of VIG rep.

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007

Omi no Kami posted:

Is there a recommended starting scenario for completely beginners? I haven't touched one of these games since X3, and have pretty much forgotten everything. I mainly want to be an industrial/trader dude, so should I just pick the terran start that gives you a scout ship right away?

The one I see often recommended is the Terran Cadet. It starts you off with an NPC buddy following and puts you pretty much directly on one of the questlines the game has. It's a bit combat heavy, but it does a good job of easing the player into the game. It also helps that the Terran economy is a lot simpler to grasp compared to the Commonwealth one, so it's a good place to figure out what goes where.

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7FQDbFts9E

Boso seems to be getting a remodel. Wonder whatever that could possibly mean? :science:

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWfQ6fHsMQA

Adorable Boron pods revealed! This is great, I didn't think they'd make another DLC for X4 but rather try to make a new standalone game.

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007

Tabletops posted:

edit: also why are exceptional mods besides nanoweaves (which drop from nearly every BUC ship) loving impossible to get? having to leave an area for 30 minutes or save/reload and poo poo to get a new set of missions from the teladi trade guild to get a 1 in 20 chance to have a exceptional ship mod reward is so loving tedious

In my experience simply entering another sector where the guild operates will refresh the missions on offer, no need to reload a save or anything. I'll agree the exceptional parts are a bit too rare though, considering how many you might need for certain ships.

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007

double nine posted:

is there a way to make loading times a bit faster?
right now it's 3 minutes to load an (early game) save, and I'm already running it from an ssd

The 6.0 Beta has great improvements in loading times - you can join it if you type in "IBackedUpMySaves" in the Steam Beta window (Instructions on their Beta forums).
Just keep in mind it's an actual beta with quite a few issues as they overhaul their physics and lightning engine.

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007

queeb posted:

im interested on like, what new wars and stuff can start with the new DLC. I kinda wanna start a terrain game now but poo poo, playing with the boron stuff might be fun to start too

edit: actually ive never played tides of avarice, how are the starts for that?

Tides of Avarice biggest strength and flaw is that it's a very story focused DLC - but in stark difference to Split Vendetta and Cradle, it doesn't really add much conflict to the surrounding areas nor do the plotlines have the same drastic consequences.
I enjoyed it for what it is, but it's regarded by most as the "weakest" DLC of the bunch.
If you plan to go for a start, I'd recommended Stranded. It's not as punishing as it appears at first glance and gives you a little bit more familiarity with the Curs - one of the ToA plots.

Still, zooming around in the luxury Astrid (which still has the drat "Loud music on Save" bug in 6.0 Beta) and fielding the Erlking with its powerful scavenge hunt blueprints is really fun.

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

I hope some sort of patch makes the boron more integrated because it really is a shame how little they actually matter, compared to how good their models are.

This is by far my biggest issue with Kingdom End and why I'm probably like you shelving my playthrough until VRO 6.0 comes in. The sectors, models and plotline were all great (not counting the Nav Beacons someone daily has issues with in the Discord), but there's nothing really to do with the Boron and there's no real longterm plotline either like the Split/Paranid had (unless you count Terraforming, but eeeeeh). They're boring in terms of their impact on the map! At least in ToA VIG sent out raiding parties and had RIP with their scrap economy somewhat solving the clay/hull part economic crisis.

Next playthrough I'll probably put on Deadairs Dynamic Wars and make them hostile with whomever their neighbour is.

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007

WebDO posted:

So uh, say I forgot to rename my nav beacon for the correct wormhole for Leap of Faith, is there an easy way to find it again, and/or any way to automate moving the uh, trade goods out of there?

Also, really hope my two missing Erlking vaults are in there, I've laid out like $100m in advanced satellites so far and only found three in the other sectors...

[ToA]The wormhole into Leap is the first south of the Avarice V Dead End gate. There is no way to automate moving wares in and out, you'll have to do it manually (although you can bring a carrier loaded with Raleigh (Condensate) plus the Astrid and haul a LOT of Protectyon out of there) - just remember you can only enter for a short moment after the tide has hit.

Erlking vaults cannot be in Leap of Faith, so no worries there!

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007

WebDO posted:

Due south of the gate, or is it more like, SW? I'm not seeming to be able to make either work.

It should be this one here:

Wait until the tide has arrived and passed, and it should have blue sparks indicating it has "activated" to Leap.

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007

Ice Fist posted:

Speaking of the ToA plot, uhh, how do I get my ship out of Leap of Faith? Some context for this question: I went into LoF, did the thing, sided against the twins, promptly stole the astrid and took the astrid out of the sector. How do I get my original ship out.

The captain of that ship must be like "guys? GUYS?"

I can't teleport to the ship. I was thinking maybe spacesuiting into the wormwhole or something? Not sure if that would work. I'm already very space rich so this isn't the end of the world, but for MY IMMERSION I would like to rescue the crew.

Max rank of teleportation should allow you in, but if you want to do it in an immersive way, you can go through the anomaly with an L/XL ship that has whichever dock (S or M) that is required.

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007

Less Fat Luke posted:

Or pilot skill levels where poor AI scripts can be hand-waved away until nerds dissect everything to show that no, ships really do have problems pathfinding on the vertical axis (as one tiny example).

I'll take this moment to plug KittenMittens excellent X4 In-Depth FAQ to the thread. It has some great tidbits such as

quote:

This code has a logical flaw resulting in higher skilled marines taking up to 100x longer than unskilled marines, resulting in stage 2 potentially taking over an hour and 20 minutes to complete!

quote:

When attempting evasive maneuvers, a ship with shields above 50% can use boost to aid their evasive maneuvers (where appropriate) with a chance equal to the combinedskill of the ship.

This check is skipped if the pilot of the ship is of the Terran race. Terran pilots have a 100% chance to boost provided the maneuver can use boost, and shields are above 50%.

This game is such a fun mess of hidden values sometimes, as it isn't told anywhere the Terran pilots do that!

Personally, I've taken the brute force approach and use the mod Learning All The Things from Nexusmods to just have everything be 5 stars in a reasonable timeframe.
Is it cheaty? Yeah, but that makes me not have to think about "Was this caused by poor AI, or by low skill on the pilot?" :shobon:

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007

Travic posted:

Started my new game and I'm having a great time. I'm having to get used to all the little things I'd forgotten about making an empire work.

One thing was auto traders. I thought I remember them being ok before after giving them some time and levels, but now they don't seem to do anything. They just go to a station, buy a ware, sit for about 5 minutes, then sell the ware back to the station for the same price. I've tried the in game advanced auto trader and Tatertrader. All of them do it.

I have satellites up all over the place. Do those not provide trade info anymore?

If this is your own station, my first instinct is that you've potentially misconfigured the pricing (if you've adjusted it from Automatic to Manual). If it's an NPC station, something odd is going on. The way the auto-traders work is that they *must* queue up both a buying place and a selling place with a profit before getting an OK for executing the trade route.

Does Tatertrader (I'd recommend using the newer Deadtater behaviour instead of Tatertrader - it comes with both) post anything in the ship logbook about the trade?

Edit: Oh, regarding satellites - a station needs to be in range of the satellite for it to count as updating trade offers. If a station is "Solid" on the map, you've got up-to-date trade offers (a ship getting a station in radar range also keeps them up-to-date for 5 hours). If it's slightly transparent, you (and your traders) don't know its pricing anymore.

Edit 2: I'll also throw a quick recommendation on the Egosoft Discord - https://discord.gg/ZwctxzXhhG . There's a very helpful community that can help out with most issues in a growing empire.

Lamquin fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jan 29, 2024

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007

Major Isoor posted:

Question though: When I get to the point where I can liberate the Yaki from their precarious position, will they build up within their sector, or are they simply destined to sit there maintaining what they've currently got, rather than doing anything interesting?

Unfortunately, the Yaki A heart for Pirates ending does not lead to any further development from the Yaki - they won't build ships to trade/build, nor build stations. They remain as they are now, except neutral with most other major factions instead of hostile.
It's a bummer, but you get to enjoy the warm and fuzzy feeling you helped them escape a potentially horrific fate? :shobon:

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007

Pyromancer posted:

Decided to get back into X4, but the campaign when I last played was Split Vendetta.
Which are the good starts to see Terran, Boron and Tides of Avarice content? Any of the new ones, or just some old sandbox start.

The start added with the Boron DLC (Emergence) has several breadcrumbs at its later stage for finding the new plotlines, so I'd highly recommend it.

If you'd rather just have a list of which plotline is where and how to get it, the Egosoft wiki has a list of the plotlines and the requirements to start them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007

ZombyDog posted:

... a wrong voiced Boso Ta ... There's a really annoying glow to the UI that I need to turn off

The Boso voice isn't a replacement voice actor (like Dal was in Kingdom End when they couldn't get ahold of the old voice actor) but a WIP according to the beta thread. At least I hope they keep the old Boso voice!

As for the glow, I don't get it and feel it looks pretty awful. Luckily, you can easily turn it off or down in the Video options.

A fun 6.20 change that might've passed under the radar is that you can now also switch between main menu backgrounds in Game Settings -> "Start Menu Background Scene" at the bottom.