Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Blast of Confetti posted:

Yeah, I spent my last X3 playthrough docked at a shipyard and automated everything via general commands and mods

Makes me want to do it again but setup is such a PITA now that I don't think I can be bothered

I spent mine becoming a salvage company/war profiteer. :v:

Between this and Rebel Galaxy 2 it's going to be a good year or two for spacemans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Glare Seethe posted:

Of all the games I've had to miss out on over the past few years because of my potato computer (still on an i5-750...), this is probably the most painful. :( Maybe by the time all the expansions and patches come out my system will have croaked and forced my hand. I'd love to sink another 300+ hours into a new X game, but I might have to instead load up an old X3 save and zip around Olmanketslat's Treaty in my Kestrel for old time's sake.

I hope they hired the same voice actress for the ship computer because the way she enunciated some of those sector names will forever be burned into my brain. THE. VAULT.

COCK

SCOUT

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

X: Rebirth being what it is is unfortunately but poking around using even just cheat/debug menus at Albion Prelude reveals pretty much instantly how necessary it is because holy poo poo did they get a lot of mileage out of that engine.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Filthy Monkey posted:

I always found the space-empire part of X3 to be my favorite part. I think I am a Teladi at heart, but I always found myself getting Argon rep for those sweet OTAS ships. Mainly the mistral, which was my automated trader of choice. The Boreas always had a special place in my hanger too, even after the nerf.

Complex building in X3 was a giant pain in the butt without mods though. I once built a giant modless complex in Antigone Memorial, and the mess of tubes made being in the sector terrible. Just glancing at it slowed the game down to a crawl. Complex cleaner was one of my favorite mods, at least before LU became popular.

Where did everybody like to build in X3? I typically found I would start with something like an an energy-input 1 MJ shield complex in power circle. It is safe in the middle of Argon core space, and has a lot of SPPs for energy cells. 1 MJ shields are easy to move, and have one of the better returns on investment.
http://grangegame.co.uk/x3tcocc.html?factories=s1m,Argon,S,5;cb,Argon,L,1;cr,Argon,L,1;om,Argon,L,1,18;om,Argon,L,1,8&wares=ore,111,145,true

I would usually build a big energy-input space weed complex in ministry of finance, even though the return isn't quite as good at 1 MJ shields. I feel like I need to give in to my teladi nature though. Ministry of finance also has a few nice SPPs to help fuel a complex.

Once I had enough money to consider building closed loop complexes (SPPs are expensive!), I usually ended up in Antigone Memorial. I also had a fondness for being friendly to the Yaki, and setting up around Savage Spur.

I set up in the asteroid belt near Argon Prime because I wanted an asteroid base but with all the salvage mods and stuff it was small change compared to war profiteering in the border sectors. I never put too much effort into it beyond learning the systems because its fun due to that 1 day turn around in profitability though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rynoto posted:

Hopefully we'll see the return of M7M frigates. Rebalanced, of course.

Though that also means there will hopefully be real reasons to have dedicated war fleets and not just making sure raiders stay away from the factories.

I forget if they were from the XRM mod but I liked the small carrier frigates that held like four fighters and I hope there's similar in X4. I used those as my go-to ship for most of that mod.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rynoto posted:

M7Cs were fantastic player ships and hope they make it back as well. Think they came in during AP.

Those were it! I liked using the Maccana in a Terran start because it gets you into fleet management quicker and easier than cheating building up factories and pumping things out.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

This isn't really related to anything but man, Star Citizen is a terrible name for p much anything.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah the whole "trade for the sake of making more money" thing is why I bounce off most Space Sims. The X series is unique in that the gameplay evolves as your power grows. You start off just trading up to bigger/better ships, but eventually you start developing your own stations and space empire and then it turns into almost a management/4X style of game. Everything you do has a larger context to it than just "making more money".

The real problem is that the endgame has you do almost nothing with that space empire and armada unless you add mods that give you something to square off against. Even a small fleet can outgun almost anything the AI throws at you ordinarily.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It was fun reading about Chris Roberts' involvement in Freelancer and the whiplash between wondering how he went from making something that good to reading about the trainwreck of a development it had to learning that he hosed up what even got out.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Vitruvian Boron

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm waiting at least a couple weeks just to see how fleet management and combat everything shakes out - who's going to know how carrier groups work now five minutes in?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

OwlFancier posted:

I can tell you that the map works a lot like an RTS interface and it's loving amazing compared to X3 :v:

Well hell yeah, I was thinking the other day that if you could have something like a single ship controlling like Freelancer and fleet management just being Homeworld it'd be perfect and probably a huge nightmare to do.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

OwlFancier posted:

It's not homeworld, not least because the map is on a much larger scale, but yeah like you can click a ship then right click somewhere on the map and tell it to go there and do something, then even drag the order you just placed around to fine tune it.

It's pretty good.

Oh I know, I just meant that if fleet management was just handled like an rts instead of trying to hamfist it like in X3 that'd be ideal.

X3 is insanely functional for what it is, I love it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Is there a campaign to vaguely pay attention to or a bunch of mini-plots?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cool, either/or works for me but pure sandbox and I eventually get bored.

I forgot I'm leaving the country for a few weeks next month so I get to look on jealously for longer than I was thinking

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

queeb posted:

i foudn it, yaay. got a mining ship that can mine too, apparently the tellari one cant? built an argon one and could right click the asteroid field and tell it to mine.

also, mining is not good money. 5k per load of minerals from the small ship.

It was worthless for making money in X3 too, it was more for getting your own raw materials for construction.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Speaking of construction I sure hope build times aren't in days again because I couldn't be bothered then and I still can't be with that

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It sounds like it's going for less auto-pilots and computers for everything and more pilots and you're actually in charge of people? That's pretty cool actually. I was a salvager/war profiteer with mods but it never made sense that I could do that and effectively have zombie ships literally everyone else couldn't, but even without that you could 'pilot' like two fighter wings and a TM pretty easily. It seems like the game's smaller scale but in a more reasonable and interesting way.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I don't think anyone's gotten that far yet tbh, from sounds of it the most anyone has is a handful of ships. Fleets take a while to set up!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Slickdrac posted:

I was curious about the whole expanding the sector map thing.

This is permanent for this save, it would appear.

Did you find anything :v:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

X3 was pretty big but unless you were looking for or doing something in particular most of it didn't really matter.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

No, they don't build anything you have to stock then with ships yourself. Carriers have always been a bit weak in the base X games. Previous games have mods that add a lot of functionality to them.

I've wanted a mod that lets carriers act as mobile shipyards ala Homeworld for X since I first started playing.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

PoopinClumpin posted:

In the story fluff doesn't the cock like "eat" the Nvidium and the Paranids were stealing it from them, thus starting the whole war? Maybe there's a way to sell it to the Cock

In case someone hasn't seen it yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkKQcta_lNc

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I've been holding off on the game for ages because of an apparent lack of things to do with your fleet once you get it going; is that still true?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh found the thread lol. I bought X4 finally? What's the quickest way to get a frigate with a fighter dock, what are some good starting tips, any mods, etc

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Baba Oh Really posted:

Quickest way to get money early on to buy a frigate is crystal mining in asteroid fields. You don't need mining equipment to do this.

Cool, I'll go hunting for space diamonds in between bounty hunting.

I know that salvaging ships requires marines and pilots so you have to slow walk poo poo back to stations to get it, any other big changes from X3 that are non-obvious at the start? I know stuff like how ships are S, M, L instead of M1-7

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

One more question actually; I know carriers are in but not really particular useful or good, but can any ships build their own fighters anyway or is it all just ingame hours at a time for a lovely scout like in X3? Or not in at all?

My ideal is to trundle around in a carrier building and launching strike craft even if they all immediately die.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

3 posted:

In terms of absolute quickest, there's an abandoned Osprey Vanguard in the southwest corner of Company Regard.

Thanks for letting me know! I'll head that way asap.

e: It's been too long since I've played X

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Nov 26, 2019

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Carriers can't build their own ships, but thankfully the actual process of buying and equipping a ship is nearly painless compared to previous X games. All weapons, shields, drones, etc are built with the ship. No need to hunt down individual factories. You can create a loadout for a fighter and order multiple copies of it too.

The only limiting factor is the wharf needs to have enough materials in stock, or they will stop building. That was a big issue at launch, but they've fixed the economy to the point where NPCs will keep them filled up without much trouble.

Oh thank god lol

The thing I'm most pleased about so far is most things I'd want modded in seem to actually be there already. So that's neat.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

What the hell is this map

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Here's a dumb question - how do I actually dock with this frigate? I seem to just clip through it and get trapped.

e: lol figured it out there are three vectors it wants and also it's just buggy and I keep going through half the time

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Nov 27, 2019

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Make sure you are issuing a dock request (shift D while targeting object iirc) before landing

I was, it's just if you hit down before you actually align you go through the bay :v:

e: Now that I've done that how do I start the campaign?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

pixaal posted:

Ships can be stored under the docking bay, so it's hollow for a good reason. You will sometimes see them open and eat a ship. You still shouldn't be clipping though it but at least you know why it seems like there's room for a ship down there.

It looks like it put my starting fighter there too!

e: Also how do I transfer items from my docked fighter to the frigate?

It's weird how this game is like two steps forward five back for a ton of basic things

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Nov 27, 2019

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I feel like it was a really smart idea, as much as I dislike it because I love bigass fleet combat, to scale things down in X4 rather than expanding. There were a shitload of sectors that didn't matter at all in X3 beyond to fill out the economy and game and 4 feels like it's cut a lot of the cruft off.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

NeurosisHead posted:

As it stands there's a pretty straightforward rhythm to hiring the first mining ships -> deploy satellites myself around the primary highway loop -> hire wares distributors as cash flow permits -> start station building stuff -> wares distributors promoted to traders -> start buying trade subscriptions to obviate satellite network. It's okay to have to do this on different starts, since the universe starts changing pretty early in the game. I just wouldn't mind being able to pay someone to do it for me.

The game started for me with a war effort update - some Paranid station exploded :v:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Open the property menu, left click on one of the ships you want to transfer wares. With that ship still selected right click on the second ship and select transfer wares, drag the sliders where you want them, click confirm.

The UI is much better than X3. It just takes some practice to understand.

So I'm doing this but hitting confirm isn't actually transferring the wares. It just stays on my docked fighter.

e: Also I bought crew but can't assign or use them? They're just on my ship. How does anything in this game actually work? I can't select them and they aren't in the crew list but are listed as on my frigate. I just want to use two ships :argh:

I don't even see a crew list, just that I have two apprentices and a marine

E: the problem was that captains aren't crew and I apparently need to wander around stations lol this sure is a mechanic

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Nov 29, 2019

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Thanks, I'll try that next time.

Now that I have a captain I can trade my wares, which instantly trade back to the fighter, for some reason, and my satellites STILL won't transfer to the frigate. Also now there's a 'clicking' noise every five seconds. Great. :shepicide:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

OwlFancier posted:

Are you finalizing the trades/transfers?

The clicking noise is likely the turrets arming/disarming repeately, that's fixed in 3.0 because they let you manually set them to armed/disarmed. Currently if you set them to defensive mode they'll stop doing it for the time being until something shoots at you, but they also won't shoot first.

I'm clicking confirm yes, it just doesn't do anything. I got the ware on the frigate by getting the fighter to undock then dropping it then flying over it but I can't do that with deployables, apparently, so I'll just tell it to undock and do things until it's empty.

Good to know about the turrets lol, I did set them to attack, so that explains it.

e: Do...do I need a captain for the ship I'm currently captaining? Is that why?

Well whatever, I just destroyed a destroyer in my frigate lmao, just like X3. I ended up killing three of the bastards since they have a gigantic blindspot and made my first million in salvage and illegal wares (I should ditch these). The teladi love me now :v:

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Nov 30, 2019

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I've put a few hours in and gotten myself settled in-universe and this still feels like a huge step back from X3. Docking seems like it barely works (just land drones holy poo poo), scanning is tedious, and there seems like there's just way less to actually do. What combat there is is trivial; fly into the ship's armpit and wait until you win.

I like a lot of what was added but most just feels slower, more tedious, or emptier.

e: Also lol at the missions that ask you to rescue ships in mine fields - where the mines don't line up with the warning lights and are invisible. I just fired at random until a hole opened but now my ai captain fighter flies directly into the other mines when I tell it to dock, in the opposite direction. The AI is a nightmare to deal with in this.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

OwlFancier posted:

The illegal wares are actually not very good in X4 because rather than the weird pirate economy that was an infinite black hole of consumption, the new economy actually simulates poo poo? The primary forms of consumption are shipbuilding parts and food for station crews. Illegal wares actually don't have a sink and can only be sold to trading stations.

Mines are physical, but they are very small, you either have to get closer or use the weapon hit point dots to detect when you're actually aiming at the mine rather than past it.

I mean, I explode before they even render, if they even do, but firing blindly will blow a hole eventually anyway. It's just tedious. A lot of X4 is in ways X3 couldn't imagine, it feels like. :shrug:

Like, why do long range scan and short range scan modes even exist? Just scan and let me communicate or take a mission or tell me what's there. It doesn't add anything. Most gameplay changes don't. It's cool in one sense that I have to wait for my dozen drones to eventually figure out how to dock before my small fighter can leave internal storage because they're all docking on the single docking pad, but on the other hand, I had to wait until they all figured out how to land before I could leave my own ship to do the mission. What the gently caress is that? Just let me take off in my scout ship to do the mission! Let it cut in line or something! Or just leave, it took ten minutes for the first to even loving start to dock! Everything's like that too. It just feels like they put their priorities in all the wrong places.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Dec 15, 2019