Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
I'm really glad this is a new engine with a better sector design.

One thing I disliked a lot about X3 (the first game in the series I played) is that the sectors were arranged in a grid and all of the sectors were squares with planets only props in the background that you couldn't approach.

Despite all of the flaws of Rebirth, giving the universe more depth is something I liked a lot.

That being said, I think highways could use an improvement. I never liked how they were just glowing tunnels curving arbitrarily through space without any apparent mechanism to sustain them. That and they blocked the view of the scenery. I think they should be more like the trade lanes from Freelancer where you actually move through the structure, perhaps a ring, that maintains them. Those rings could also be a weak point that could be destroyed to break the highway chain. They could also be something you could build as a player. It should be expensive enough that you need to be a hotshot with a big empire to afford to go to that newly discovered empty system and assemble your own zones and highways to connect them.

Edit: There was a now-defunct mod that did some of what I had in mind: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnl3l_hWziY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

A lot of interesting tidbits in this Q&A thread: https://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=146&t=396292

Some analysis about the universe map here: https://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=4675505

They are improving sector and highway design to be more like the Home of Light DLC for XR. Highways are either straight or simple curves. In HoL they were directly connected to superhighways. In recent videos I saw them directly going into jump gates.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

limaCAT posted:

With all the systems they could have scrapped why didn't they scrap SETA?
People want it to speed up non-travel things too.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Are there any comments from beta testers for X4 about the state of the game compared to Rebirth or X3?

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Dug up an old video from last year that shows some nice detail about sector layouts and station building. Looks pretty nice, ship density is way up from Rebirth and the layout is a lot more interesting too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hk4pPuC3GjA

Pop in is a bit concerning and might be something to watch out for in X4, though again it was a year ago, so hopefully a bit improved since then.
Missiles are shown on the map. :fap:

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Thom12255 posted:

I'm glad they're still making these games but I'm not entirely convinced they'll ever get the X3 feeling back after Rebirth. I hope I'm wrong though as I want this to be great.
What are you looking for in terms of the "X3 feeling"?

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

It seems ES is in radio silence mode for now, probably because they're crunch timing it on the way to release.

I'd like more information, or least a basic 10-20 minute gameplay video.

In particular I'd like to know how you're going to command groups of ships such as fighter wings or how carriers might command them on their own.

Also, if you're in a capital ship, how will you command its turrets?

I know a lot of basic things can be done from the map, but I'm very interested in how complex things will be handled with this new UI and again being able to fly any ship.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Is it a red flag that the game is supposed to be coming out like in 2 weeks and we're not hearing anything?
I don't think so. Egosoft seems to just be crunch-timing it and saying that you'll be able to see people review the game when it releases and you can buy it if you like it.

Which is true, people will buy if its a good game. Still, it wouldn't hurt to feed the hype a bit.

Edit: Yes, they seem to be doing the opposite of what they did with Rebirth, so I guess they have confidence in it. They were already pretty well along with the game when they had those Q&A sessions last year.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Only 3 days left. I'm pretty hyped.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Wow why does this thread have so many new p- oh nice a stream. :eyepop:

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

I see highways are now flat panels you move around on. I guess they did this to give people a good view, but I'm not sure I like it. I would have preferred rings of some sort that you move through.

They can't please everyone though and I like what I'm seeing.

Edit: On second thought, I do like how the highways tilt on corners. It's quite a nice effect.

Inverness fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Nov 29, 2018

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

So I can't find the recorded video on Twitch and YouTube presumably nuked the video over a copyright claim. Fantastic.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

Only 400 viewers on these streams. Doesn't bode well :(
It's 10 PM CST. Few in the US will be looking for streams this late. Also the streams were not planned or advertised. I only found out about what was happening because I wondered why this thread had so many new posts.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

Being able to quickly get from point A to point B kind of diminishes the sense of scale for me in games like this. There has to be a happy medium for sanity sale, of course, but I can't wait to get in the game and see how it feels.
Space-highways only exist in core sectors. You'll have plenty of space-countryside to space-truck through.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

So far in streams it looks plenty playable and rather polished.

Also seeing the other ships docking and undocking at 1:21:20 on ObsidianAnt's new video is really neat.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

I think 10AM-12PM PST is the usual release time. That means playing it after I get home from work.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

big nipples big life posted:

Oh wow, they gave a key to Cohh, that's some good exposure, 5700 people already tuned in.

https://www.twitch.tv/cohhcarnage
Darn, there is no Youtube stream and I can't view Twitch at work.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Does X4 have an auto dock?
There is a Mk 1 and Mk 2 docking computer. I don't know what the difference is.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Pylons posted:

Since Jump Drives are out and you probably can't use SETA when you're not piloting, I hope capital ships have a decent travel speed.
I do remember the devs talking about not being sure if they wanted to limit SETA to piloting.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

So it looks like there won't be pre-loading. It's been years since I've bought a game that didn't have pre-loading.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Squiggle posted:

Preloading always seems to take me longer to decrypt than it would to just download the fuckin' thing day-of anyway. Like, an unnecessary amount of time.
That very much depends on the speed of your connection.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

beer_war posted:

It also looks woefully underexplained and quite a bit janky. Which I guess is par for the course for an X game, but I'll hold off until more people figure out what works and what doesn't.
I haven't seen anything to suggest this.

The game provides several tutorials on its various features.

Streamers are streamers and are usually too busy screwing around and/or interacting with the audience to do things like tutorials.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

What purpose do the other service crew serve? Marines and pilot are obvious but I'm not sure about the rest.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Well I'm glad Egosoft is working on the weekend to fix issues.

On the other hand I feel bad for Egosoft working on the weekend to fix issues after all of the crunch time they did.

I always thought that Monday releases would make more sense than Friday releases from a support perspective.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

If I have some illegal goods that I don't know where to sell, and I dump them in space, will the containers stay there until I come back for them? It will suck if they despawned after a time limit.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Well let me elaborate on my situation: I have some hallucinogenics and a Security Description System, inventory items, that are illegal in several places that I want to sell.

I'd prefer to store them someplace safe that wont get me in trouble so I can explore and then figure out where to sell them later in the game. If I can't do that then I want to know if there is a simple way to sell inventory items or if I have to actually find a trader that will buy them. They're not wares so they don't appear on the map.

Actually that is a good question: do police scans check only your cargo or your inventory too?

In any case I'm considering just dumping them because I could make the same amount of money from a mission or two.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Silly question, do the smaller ships feel faster now? I was always frustrated by how slow some M4s and most M3s felt.

Actually do they still even use the same classification system (M1-M7, TS/TM, etc etc)?
No, the primary classification is now by size: S, M, L, XL. Ships within those sizes have roles like Scout, Fighter, Freighter, Miner, Frigate, Bomber, etc.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Morphix posted:

okay so I'm stuck on a mission

I found this little alien dude on a distress signal while scanning a station, it's the first hour of the game, anyway he tells me hes captured somewhere and leads me to go buy 3 anti-matter something or other and we goto some rift, first I blow up with my ship, game over, okay this time I evad away

and than I get a badass alien base all to my self except I spent like 45 minutes flying in my stupid chair to the point when I finally get control, and than I'm tasked to build a dock but no ship to dock anywhere or go anywhere and I'm just a floating asshoe and than I guess I ran out of air

I really really want to like this game, but goddamn it does it make it difficult
Did you miss the part where he gave you money and told you to buy a new ship for the experiment specifically because it would be destroyed?

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

This game would have greatly benefited from an early access period but I guess Egosoft is too traditional for that?

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Anticheese posted:

I'm not sure how to sell my surplus ships though.
This gave me trouble too. You do it from the map. Select the ship you want to sell and then right-click on a wharf or shipyard depending on the ship size.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Morphix posted:

Seriously. This game is in desperate need of a quick UI walkthrough youtube video. Because goddamn it game, why must you make it so hard to love you.
That's true. Personally though I dislike video tutorials that take ten times longer to explain the same information I could get from a simple text and screenshot guide.

Is there a wiki for X4?

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

DaveKap posted:

Edit: Oh hey, if you have a crew member pilot the ship while it's stuck in an asteroid, the game seems to just say "gently caress it" and lets the AI ship through the collision! Whew!
I noticed that when I bought another ship for the player HQ mission. It was just flying straight through the asteroids on the way to the destination.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Is there any rundown on the differences between the various weapons and what they're good for?

I'm just assuming that the ones requiring a military license are better.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

I definitely think the factions blockade gates, some bugger's dropped a load of tracker mines in front of the north gate out of eighteen billion. Fortunately they seem friendly to me but yikes I would not want to come through that gate and be on their bad side.
I was exploring a Xenon sector that the Paranid were fighting in. Found a highway, went through a superhighway gate at the end of it and straight through a giant Xenon minefield :magical: and I somehow managed not to hit any :smug:. I had to turn around and fly back through the same minefield through the superhighway and didn't hit any that time either.

I should note I was flying at 4 km/s travel mode.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

So there's a hidden benefit to the S size mining ships.

The basic dock comes with only 1 M size landing pad. Which means that every loving M size trader in the galaxy is queued up outside my loving factory to buy my surplus loving energy cells at below loving market value and no fucker can get loving parked. Including the loving M size ore miner I just bought.

gently caress.
There is a longer version of the basic dock with 6 M size landing pads. Also you can build multiple docks per station.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

pixaal posted:

You can open the map, select "plots" it will show you every plot even ones that are in the fog. Every NPC object (gates, stations) has a legal plot.
I would consider this exploiting a bug so I don't do it.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

So when you upgrade a ship to do something like install turrets you can see the turrets gradually appearing on their hardpoints during the build time. That's a nice touch.

For context, I just acquired my first M ship, an abandoned Cerberus Sentinel.

Also I have to say its really interesting how docking was handled. Slapping an S dock right smack in the middle of an M ship works well from a gameplay perspective. Though I have to say the sheer size of the dock on the M ship wouldn't make sense if you wanted things to be realistic.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Do factions have a general AI that controls their behavior? If they don't they need one as a counterpart to the player.

For Xenon their sectors do need to be moved further away from the core sectors of the galaxy so there are more lightly defended sectors to fight over. Then you can have the AI give various weightings in terms of defense for the core and frontier sectors of their faction.

At that point you can have a Xenon AI that puts a lot of effort into defending its core sectors, and then occasionally decides to invade the frontier sectors between it and the other factions. Finally you can have it occasionally decide to build up forces and launch an assault on the core sectors of another faction.

If the faction is just coordinated by a single AI you can have it wait for a certain amount of time before its allowed to launch big assaults so there isn't a chance of wiping out another faction entirely.

To avoid having a faction like the Xenon be wiped out entirely you could have some sort of reinforcement mechanic where a giant fleet spawns from a previously inactive jumpgate and proceeds to clean house and rebuild stations and such. I think that makes more sense than a station that can't be destroyed.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

they don't have an RTS-style AI, but there is a war management AI. It's primary goal seems to be driving the economy and providing war missions though.
For a game like X4 it seems like there should be AI counterparts to the player for every faction.

Of course they wouldn't behave the same as players but facilitate the operation of the universe.

You could also spice up the game by modding the faction AI.

But then I don't really know much about this war management AI so I can't compare the two concepts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

xanif posted:

Someone is working on a mod to make the X4 universe more like the X3 universe: https://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=181&t=406274

So far...

I don't much like the idea of a step back into X3 style uniform sector design. I think X4 makes things more interesting with the combination of jump gates, accelerators, and super highways. There is much more variety to the universe.

I'd rather that be expanded upon than reverting to the grid sectors of X3.