Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Radio Free Kobold posted:

I looted some poo poo and I have no idea how to check my cargo to find out what, exactly, I looted. There's even this bit called "Storage" that is loving empty so that can't be the poo poo I looted. The UI is notgreat.

Its really dumb because most items actually go into your "personal" inventory not the ships wares inventory. Couple of questions of my own:

- How do i go about getting poo poo build on a station? I want to build a docking area but i have no idea about the steps
- Do Traders ever get smarter? I appreciate autotrading being really easy compared to previous entries but the profits are pretty small so far. The freighter I have stays in its own system despite me having set an order for galaxy autotrade. I want them to make bigger profits!
- How do you level up crew/pilots? These holotapes you can buy seem useless.

Edit: They also need to finally add descriptions what all the software actually does that you can buy! Also weapon damage spread etc.

From what I can tell your ships dont have a reactor output anymore for weapons and every weapon has its own overheating ratio for continuuous fire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Also Is there anywhere I can see the lifetime profits my traders have made somewhere? I'm fairly sure X3 Terran Conflict had such a function, or maybe that was an extension?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
An incredibly easy way to make money at the start is buying items from the station traders for medkits. it costs like 1k to buy them and you can instantly craft them for 10k sale items.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I've found an Osprey Vanguard Corvette with 0/16 crew surrounded by mines. How do I take this thing over? The tutorial said to look for a signal in scan mode in your suit but I can't find any and I've been around the ship 3 times now.

I guess it's not really abandoned? It shows as "Neutral" and no ownership.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Astroniomix posted:

Larger ships you have to board with a marine I believe. Even if it's unowned.

I tried to change my service crew to marines, but all they do is circle around the ship and do nothing at all.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Okay with Marines i managed to capture the Osprey which immediately lost all of its installed weapons/shields which is still dumb as hell. Also I managed to strand myself on an upgrade facility by ordering an engine replacement when theres not enough parts available and now theres no way to cancel it?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
This medkit money well seems borderline exploitative, its quicker than any job tbh.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Also apparently my ship has a zombie/ghost captain. I fired the entire crew but the game still thinks the ship has a captain even though that is not the case?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Pylons posted:

If crystal mining isn't exploitative, I definitely can't see how medkit money is.

The crystal mining at least requires some work, the medikit fabrication is just going from station to station.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
So are there actually any better softwares to get? Other then mk2. Also how do turrets work on ships you buy?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
What is actually the point of SETA now, just to speed up time generally?

Couple of grievances from long time X3 player:

- Why have they removed ship shield reactor / weapon reactor outputs? This means you can in the tiniest fighter ship take down every cap ship if you find a blind spot. This also means that a ship with more weapon slots is always superior.
- I miss the verbose ship computer? Seems like you dont really get any information for stuff you click or look at. Not even sectors are announced.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
At least turrets seem to work correctly for damage calculations out of sector to defend your freighters from some pesky bandits. Is anyone else really pissed with how weapons work in this game? Theres almost no variety and the game does not tell you how they perform, how long you can fire the weapon in a row etc. With no reactor energy consumption this just means buy as many of the most expensive weapon you can find.

Also apparently capital ships don't have dedicated weaponry exclusive to them?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Yeah this is pretty amazing compared to the X3 Reunion launch. Still, i hope that they will eventually change how weapons and shields work back to the old way.

Also please let me know if my traders actually are making a profit via stats!

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I feel like I missed out on the main story? I havent found anything like i, just the player HQ thing so far. I guess i never scanned anything in my starting sector.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
What actually decides if ships can dock to others? The Osprey Vanguard I picked up seems to have a docking platform on top but it refuses all dock orders from my small crafts.

Mokotow posted:

* groan *

If you have funds, you can order a ship from another shipyard constructed and have it pick you up.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Can you hire the target? Put them on a cheap ship and have it blow up somewhere.

I read about a glitch yesterday where someone made a transport target part of his crew and promoted him to captain of his ship. After the mission was over the guy took over command of the ship and the guy had no ship left and was stranded on an Argon warship.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I finally paid the million for the paranid scout ship (why is it so loving expensive?) and it flies at 8800 m/s in travel mode. It's a thing of beauty, finally some easy exploration.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
It highlights stations and several other objects on your map.

On another note, i found a pretty funny bug today. When I was running on one of those treadmills I got a com call thanking me for blowing up some criminals ship. This made me come to a complete halt on a treadmill and after the transmission was over I glitched out and started to float in the air. I actually kept glitching through everything and couldnt even shift D back to my ship (I kept floating through it). Only after I hit the barrier of the docking zone did my character suddenly regain gravity and i was able to warp back to my ship.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Regarding galaxy being safe: It seems that all hostile forces are destroyed within the first few hours. Only pirates and khaak spawn in and in tiny amounts and are quickly wiped out. Xenon produce their ships like other races and are holed up in their fringe systems, having the entrance gates sealed by Tracker mines.

The Xenon system i actually checked out near the paranid area was almost completely empty of them, it had way more paranid military ships than anything else. So as far as i can tell the "threat" factor from them is completely broken it seems?

Also why did they remove station / sector defense missions? I really enjoy the game so far but the long term systems need a few more months in the oven.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Another weird thing: missiles are currently invincible, cant be targeted and have unlimited range. Unless you flee from a sector they will hunt you the gently caress down.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The turret thing is especially baffling since they work fine in rebirth which is the same engine and ships have 5x more turrets overall? That's just no excuse really.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Some other issues I found:

-Any recovered ships you boarded and took over with marines refuse to let you dock.
-Selling ships does not sell your components! You do not get credited for them.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Great, I got a lockbox mission and the lockbox physically doesnt exist. I can target it on the radar and select it but it just doesnt exist when go there. Also the ship balance is completely out of whack, how is a medium sized corvette faster than any teladi or argon fighter craft?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Speaking of graphics, what is wrong with xenon ships in this game? They look really weirdly round.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Just select automine as a default task for them.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Did they remove sedatives from station traders? I cant find any of them anywhere.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Tried a new game with 1.3

Observations so far:

- I cant hire people off cap ships anymore! boo
- Performance tanked for me personally
- Lots more action in the galaxy it seems?

Serious question aside, is there NO autopilot at all in ships when you take them over? I had a pirate kestrel jump ship and i cant figure out a way to get it to station without hopping in myself.
Edit: I also hired someone at a station and they just stood there and stared off into space, wouldnt even try to go to my ship! rear end in a top hat. I also cant promote anyone i hire into ship captain!

FrickenMoron fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 7, 2018

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Great then. I'm 100% incapable of hiring a pilot for my current ship

- I cant promote anyone to captain if i hire a marine or crewman
- anyone i try to hire as a captain on the station refuses to move on the ship.

Edit: had to fire everyone and try to hire several people, someone finally started to move.

FrickenMoron fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Dec 7, 2018

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Has nobody else had performance problems since 1.3? I think it might be because i started a new game and the galaxy seems on fire. When i started my first game on 1.0 it was slow at first but then became much quicker eventually... might be tied to galaxy activity?

Edit: I also accidently declined the player HQ mission offer, can i get it again some time?

FrickenMoron fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Dec 8, 2018

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Glad to see the black market access missions are still completely broken. I tried to do one with spacefly eggs, got em later and came back to the station and now the bar is gone.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
It specifically asked for spacefly eggs, not caviar. Basically in my experience unless you immediately hop onto the station you got the signal from the bar will vanish if you fly away.

Edit:

Do security slicers etc. actually do anything or can I sell those?

FrickenMoron fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Dec 8, 2018

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
1.3 new start report: After several hours the conflicts have completely dried up again just like in the previous versions. It looks like there immediatly is a shortage for production facilities and all hostiles that start in sectors get wiped out very quickly (within one hour) The performance is much better now though.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I decided to start my game off by buying gas miners. Turns out this was a mistake, they keep mining helium only and giving it away for free! (there is only 1 known helium station to me so far and it has zero demand).

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Found a new bug: I accepted a mission to scan a ship. This turned out to be a xenon ship which was destroyed soon after. This also completely disabled my ability to save the game! I couldnt abandon/cancel the mission at all and now the save button is greyed out completely.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Nope, that was over 2 hours ago and even the autosave stopped working. I just closed the game. Some of these bugs are pretty bad still. Lesson learned: dont accept any scan ship missions.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
10 hours into a newly started game from the 1.3 patch it's the same as my previous one. All hostilities have ceased, the only fights i see are some small khaak squads spawning in. Everyone's dug in with little ship production going on. Basically all wharfs have missing parts.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I've already set 3 autotraders to only buy and sell hull and engine parts to help out a bit at least.

Edit: also no ship can beat the Perseus vanguard, over 500 speed normally and 8.6k travel speed tops makes it by far the best exploration ship.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Yeah I've decided to visit the xenon in faulty logic, I saw a K and a couple of fighters guarding the jump gate but as soon as i went through a huge HOP fleet also went in and obliterated the K. in X3 when you entered a xenon sector you knew you were in trouble cause you had dozens of fighter craft homing in for you as well as some capships.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Why does capital ship combat still suck 20 years after freespace 2? That game had it down. But yeah the weapons in this game blow chunks. It wasnt super exciting in x3 (cap ships just shot tons of plasma globs at each other) but at least they had good range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Im enjoying it a lot but it still has some problems.

Also: I just went into a xenon sector, blew up the gate guards with the help of some teladi already fighting there and got a blue long range scanner ping? B ut it just turned out to be a floating wreck piece. What gives?