Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

OwlFancier posted:

Honestly one of the nice changes from X3 to Rebirth was that the spaceships all actually look like spaceships rather than the weird poo poo the boron had going on in X3.

Weren't Boron ships actually grown and work underwater or something like that, according to lore?
Kha'ak ships on the other hand, are built just from triangles and purple

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

TjyvTompa posted:

What is the easiest way of finding a Manager for a new station now? Just build a cheap ship and hope the captain comes with a star in Management?

You don't need them to have a star in management to start with, just grab any rando crewman from your cargo hold and tell them they're the manager now, they'll skill up in management eventually

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

Sillybones posted:

- More complaint: Why can I defeat everything in one ship with ease? It's just a lone M. And the difference between an M and S seems to be how fast you can win.
From what I saw AI seems to heavily prefer trying to dodge over shooting as soon as you take off some shield, so one on one they never really shoot you.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

I just launched a drill vanguard mining for nividium on this new(to me) advanced auto mine and he can't seem to sell it anywhere. Did they remove nividium for easy startup capital?

Was it ever easy startup capital? It's technically expensive, but nobody wants to buy the stuff - there were few trading stations trading it, but once you filled them up it stays there forever, there are no consumers

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

Major Isoor posted:

Out of curiosity, does anyone know how to trigger the Duke's Buccaneers plotline? Since they've shown up in the 'faction relations' list, but I haven't seen them anywhere.
Also, does following their plotline involve becoming enemies with other factions, like the Argon, etc.?

Do the HQ quest from Boso so he moves in, also complete Hatikvah quest line, this opens Paranid and Split questlines. Depending on the choice you make in Paranid one Buccaneers will appear.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

cheesetriangles posted:

I feel like I've never seen anyone but the Xenon build any XL combat ships.

I've seen some carriers and resuppliers from Teladi and Split in my current game, but they're getting their asses kicked by xenon because they don't seem to fill them up with fighters. Meanwhile on the other side of the map godrealm of the paranid already took three of four xenon sectors and there's not a carrier in sight, just multiple destroyers and frigates slowly but surely destroying xenon stations.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

The easiest way to get SETA, even though you don't actually need it in X4 - wait for Xenon to put a station in one of the friendly sectors, then sit next to it, killing the endless stream of unarmed drones, their analog of civilian traffic. These drones drop all of SETA parts, although programmable field thingy is at least 10x more common than other two, hacking tools and their parts, spacefly eggs, and some other less valuable stuff. And you can do it in a tiniest fighter with a peashooter gun.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

Fart Cannon posted:

Any of you have issues where your large trade ships don't follow the planned route? Unless I micromanage the route, it fucks off and flies on a circular, longer path than the original calculated one. Any thoughts for resolution or mods that will help?

I think it calculates the shorter route by estimated travel time, so for slow travel speed ships going around half the map on circular highway at 10000 m/s wins over crossing one sector regularly at its 800 m/s travel speed.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

Alchenar posted:

The thing to get is that despite appearances, this is a German economy game.
You are trying to make a business empire that funds your 'driving a fleet around blowing up bad guys' gameplay.

X series is secretly Anno 3006

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

double nine posted:

the steam reviews for this game are still very uneven, have the various patches made the game somewhat comparable in quality to x3, or is it still more of a rebirth?

Played about 200 hours in 3.1-3.2 patches, completing all the plots and taking over xenon sectors. The only bugs I've seen was Boso's head twisting 180 degrees and station subordinate ship AI falling into stupor when more production modules are added until they're unassigned and reassigned.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

Fojar38 posted:

I've spent a full hour scanning every Xenon Energy Transport I can find and not one has had a single energy cell on them. Am I doing something wrong or am I just getting really unlucky? (Doing the Argon vs Xenon intel missions)

Why come to them when you can make them come to you - find a xenon station in construction and destroy all the containers in its build material storage. In a few minutes xenon S will start coming in with ore and energy cells to refill it.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

Are they worth playing front to back for the story line and lore?
If you have a year, and hate yourself. Just find all datavaults in X4 to reveal the universe timeline if you're set on spending many hours and finding it in game, or watch it on youtubes if you're not.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

BitBasher posted:

Is the absolute poo poo space highway still in it instead of proper jumpgates?

Yes and no, the highway is there, but it doesn't work like in Rebirth. It just takes you across the sectors and through the gates fast, much faster than the travel mode your ship has.
Travel mode every ship can do is something like what capital ships had in Rebirth - just charge up for a few seconds then go really fast in mostly straight line wherever you want.
Lore-wise I have no idea what's going on with FTL methods in X4 though - there are oldschool jumpgates, there are Rebirth's accelerators and superhighways which are now just jump gates with different look and now 20-ish unmarked anomalies taking you to other anomaly randomly.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

Unimpressed posted:

What's a good personal ship like the M6s of old in X3?

Medium size frigates - they're fast, sturdy and can dock everywhere, and have a fighter dock(unlike medium corvettes that have no dock but more guns) - sometimes in missions you have to jump into a fighter, I prefer Gorgon Vanguard from base game or split vendetta Cobra.

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Nov 5, 2020

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

Antigravitas posted:

As long as you don't build mega complexes and expect to sit next to them all the time you'll be fine with a mid-range PC.

What even is the point of playing if you don't have a complex where you shove minerals in and fully equipped destroyers come out of the other side?

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

Oh that's what that means! I thought it was showing faction territory or something.

No, blue means gas, red means asteroids and purple are both. Although in some cases the actual abundance can amount to gently caress all even though it's colored.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

Oh right, the Paranid Palace blueprint is 500,000,000 spacebux and the most I've had at once is 112. That's why I stopped doing that.

Just build a shipyard complex first, once you do 500 mil doesn't look so bad for two reasons - you already spent way more on shipyard and it prints money.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

Baba Oh Really posted:

I would say the only necessary mission you should do as soon as possible is the main story plot to eventually get your own base for free essentially which leads to setting up the research function that further leads you to acquiring blueprints through EMPs. Being able to get all the production blueprints essentially for free will give you a huge boost into starting those building station type missions as well as starting your plunge into the space capitalism game.

Well it damages your reputation, and you can't get some of them like wharf/shipyard, but it definitely saves you hundreds of millions of credits in blueprints.
Faction storylines are also gated by that, so IMO it's a good idea to do the HQ as early as possible.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

Wasn't one of X2 cutscenes showing Boron ship not just landing on a planet, but going underwater and docking a building there?

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

Sample_text posted:

Question for my upcoming playthrough.

Let's say I have a carrier loaded with torpedo bombers.
When they run out of torpedoes, how do I restock them at a carrier?
I tried reading the wiki entry and it made no sense....

Can I ? :

-Have the carrier load up on a shitton of torpedoes and just stock up there?
-Assign traders to the Carrier and have them go back and forth to poo poo like my compstrate factory and constantly bring resources?
-Have some way to build resources directly on my carrier?

To rearm fighters with missiles you need to have that missile's blueprint. Your carrier will still require missile components and whatnot to produce them, you should see in its information what are the required wares, and there's a command for it to find and buy them(or you can just deliver them yourself).
Fleet auxiliary ships (but not carriers) can also create buy orders for the stuff they need and hope independent traders will deliver the required wares.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

Weird, I never bothered to buy most faction blueprints and I've been pumping out everything

I last played quite long ago, after Split but before Terrans were added, and the shipyard I had was only selling the ships I had blueprints for.
And NPCs were buying their own faction's ships, nobody ordered Split ships because it was far from Split space, but Paranid corvettes were selling like hotcakes.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

wilderthanmild posted:

Is it really cheap to make defense platforms? I was debating making one or two in the void to try to fend off the endless Xenon invasion. It looks like a simple dock with two disc platforms covered in L and M turrets is only a few mil and would have more firepower than a Xenon K.

Yes, camping every xenon gate with a defense platform is a valid tactic. You'll probably need more than 2 disks, but 4-6 disks will vaporize even an I before it does any damage, but it would only cost you 7 million or so. Just use Paranid L plasma turrets for that range advantage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

Decided to get back into X4, but the campaign when I last played was Split Vendetta.
Which are the good starts to see Terran, Boron and Tides of Avarice content? Any of the new ones, or just some old sandbox start.