Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011
My biggest hope, other than it generally being good, is that the OoS AI isn't basically just a really dumb dice roll for everything from combat to piloting. Finding your trading fleet suddenly missing after going and doing something else for a couple hours was a giant pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
This betrayal will not stand. Give me my X games that are a chore to play.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I am a little put off to hear that some of the old school races are going to be full on expansion territory, like I guess no Split to start with? But yeah, it's not like I'm not going to buy it the moment I hear enough people say "Well it's not garbage..." so whatever.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Siets posted:

I've been wanting a space flight sim that does what it can to essentially be Elite: Dangerous with a slightly livelier universe and more gameplay features. This really looks like it could actually be that ticket.

Question: is this going to be a game where I can chill in my captain's quarters ala Picard and look out the window as I fly only to get paged to the bridge when we receive an incoming signal? I know this is kind of a dumb thing to want and its really not an actual gameplay loop or anything, but damnit if it isn't something I've wanted even more from a space flight sim than going from orbit to surface.

OwlFancier posted:

We don't really know, the whole ships having interiors thing is really quite new for X4, even from the previous game which introduced the technology.

It sounds like you can do a lot of management and sit and watch as your NPCs fly stuff around, but we won't know for sure. X3 involves a lot of management but you did it all through clunky menus from your cockpit, no interiors.

I too am hopeful though because yes I also enjoy that kind of feel in games. Best to wait and see on launch.

So as far as we can tell from the streams and stuff they've done, multicrew ships will have a bridge that you can stand on (sadly taking a chair seems to insert you as the pilot, so no Bridge Commander shenanigans) and issue every order in the game without ever taking direct control. However even the larger multicrew ships that they've shown are basically just corridors leading to each interaction - hangers, landing pads, cockpit, cargo - and there's not really any leisure room on even the huge ships. That might change of course.

Orv
May 4, 2011
That is what they're implying, though how far "dynamic factions" goes I suspect we'll have to wait to find out.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Siets posted:

When people say X games are buggy on release, what kinda bugs are we talking? I’m really excited for this game as a first foray into the series, and I normally have a pretty high tolerance for bugs. A lot of the bugs that make people get all :bahgawd: on the forums for I tend to just kind of shrug at. Bugs for me have to be stuff like “your 30+ hour game save just got corrupted, have fun starting over!” for me to actually get mad at a game and check out. Really hoping that’s not what we’re potentially in for here. :ohdear:

It's nothing that bad. It's mostly mission or script glitches, or the AI doing incredibly dumb things that cost you progress, ships or even your life. It's not as though it's unplayable, barring the occasional progress stopping bug, but because of the nature of the simulation it's a completely chaotic mess that you have basically no control over. Who knows, maybe Egosoft will be one of those companies that puts out a new game in a long-running series that finally fixes all their old mistakes. Liked or not, Rebirth on launch was at least more playable and less glitchy than any of their other launches by a long way.

Orv
May 4, 2011

limaCAT posted:

With all the systems they could have scrapped why didn't they scrap SETA?

It depends honestly. If the game is balanced around using SETA then it becomes an issue. I'm fine with it being there as a tool because sometimes you're doing your initial e-cell import on your factories and that takes a hot minute.

Orv
May 4, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

X: Rebirth being what it is is unfortunately but poking around using even just cheat/debug menus at Albion Prelude reveals pretty much instantly how necessary it is because holy poo poo did they get a lot of mileage out of that engine.

2000 loving 5.

Orv
May 4, 2011

metasynthetic posted:

Do not preorder this game

Saw the trailer on youtube just now, took me by surprise. I may buy this a month or so after release once the honeymoon phase is over, God knows I want it to be good, but, you know, Rebirth.

Your logic is meaningless before my thirst for disappointment.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Do it, pussy. You won't. I bet you won't.

Orv
May 4, 2011
New species (and ships, space, stations, etc) will be the focus of DLCs.

Orv
May 4, 2011
My general hope for X4's ship interior stuff is that I can do some level of fleet command from a bridge while I have an AI pilot in place, since all of the various games that tout that idea always tend to die in development.

Orv
May 4, 2011
There isn't one to my knowledge. It is the eternal pipe dream.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Re: interiors from a dev over on Reddit

Egosoft Dev posted:

The modelled interiors are relatively limited. It's mainly the cockpit/bridge, the docks if there are any, and potentially a ship exit ramp you can reach via elevator.

The technology allows dynamically adding more interiors, for example crew quarters or an engine room, but at launch there won't be any on ships.

E: Not sure if this got posted or not.

Orv fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Nov 26, 2018

Orv
May 4, 2011
Kha'akpit.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Popete posted:

I want this to be good but the total lack of any info from Egosoft is disconcerting. Like hell, even just a Tweet saying "We hope you enjoy X4: Foundations this Friday!". Just say something.

They've been tweeting "X days to release!" every few days. They're very much an old school game company at heart, even if they showed off some of the game in dev.

Orv
May 4, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

The X games have a lot of menu fiddling to do. I wouldn't recommend using a controller unless you like switching to mouse a lot.

On some level I've come to prefer a controller even over a full on joystick just because of the ease of use between the grip and throwing it down to mess with mouse/keyboard so I'm not that bothered by it.

Freelancer mouse flight has always been an anathema to good gameplay. :colbert:

Orv
May 4, 2011
Why is this pre-stream footage from Star Citizen?

E: Oh this is ObAnt not Egosoft.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Communist Bear posted:

The stream is gone.

Refresh

Orv
May 4, 2011
Here.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Fine here.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Radio Free Kobold posted:

you start in a hangar, it's first person, there's a spaceship in front of you, and everything is really pretty.

This is just Star Citizen, except it's a real game.

Yeah I'm seeing potentially worrying bits of Star Citizen here and there but if it works then hey, why not.

On some level having stations walkable but not required to walk in is cool.

Orv
May 4, 2011
So obviously if this is drastically broken it's going to be in station building, mission scripting or AI idiocy but uh, this looks and appears to play like a modern space game?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Radio Free Kobold posted:

the wingy bits move with the controls. atmospheric flight confirmed?

I think that's just nerdy art stuff.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Aw yeah gimmie those menus. :dong:

(I think I might have made exactly that post about an X:R pre-release stream.)

Orv
May 4, 2011
Inherently distrusting of an X game with potentially good fighter level combat. :colbert:

Orv
May 4, 2011
980ti

Orv
May 4, 2011

Orv posted:

Do it, pussy. You won't. I bet you won't.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Did I just see a Freespace-rear end laser come off that capital ship? :gizz:

Orv
May 4, 2011
Intense PTSD flashbacks to learning to dock in E:D with two joysticks.

Orv
May 4, 2011
It is slowly driving me insane that one of the foremost space game Youtube/Twitch mans cannot fly a spaceship to save his life.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Starting a petition to remove Thursday from existence.

:siren: S Ship Capacity: 40 :siren:

Orv fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Nov 29, 2018

Orv
May 4, 2011

PHOOsun posted:

the landing bay can hold 40 small ships internally ?

This is all good stuff, just need to see the station building in action before preordering it :)

That seems to be the implication.

As to station building, you probably won't see that for a couple days after release, depending on the economic scale.

Orv
May 4, 2011
In the future everyone wears poorly fitting band shirts.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I don't suppose anyone looked into who else got early copies? Maybe one of them won't take four hours to fly around and do a single mission. My lust for knowledge is insatiable.

Orv
May 4, 2011

*Open tab*

...Oh my god we are so fast.

*Close tab*

Orv
May 4, 2011
The people that play X games are already gonna buy it, the people who are interested are probably going to go looking more proactively than random streams, especially from a dude who doesn't play these kinds of games ever.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Popete posted:

It's pretty hosed up I cannot play this game right now.

*Screams in Friday*

Orv
May 4, 2011
I think everyone with 970s can probably stop worrying quite so much, unless it's an absolute travesty of optimization you should be fine. Rebirth was a travesty at launch, when I still had a 970 and it was pretty playable after those first couple hotfixes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Four bullet points of 'jank' for an Egosoft release is basically the second coming of Christ, you realize.