Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
Looks a bit more colorful/cartoony overall than X3, which is sort of a turnoff. E:D feels nice and utilitarian with its futurespace machinery, skewing kinda closer to X3 in that regard. Making 90% of the visual experience black and simple makes the special 10% really special.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

OwlFancier posted:

Did you see the boron ships in X3?

Or the paranid?

Or the khaak?

Mos def. They look like thematic fantasy spaceships, but more desaturated/somewhat utilitarian and less Freelancer/someone’s plastic model collection. I guess the caveat I should keep in mind is the big “yo graphics gonna change” note at the start of the gameplay video, so

What’s the ur-example of being able to walk around your ship in this genre? I get the appeal but I’ve only seen half-baked attempts, I think.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
No stilted voice actor reading everything I examine, no buy. :colbert:

(I’m gonna buy it probably)

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

sandoz posted:

you mean dha'ak

Feel like this pro-post was overlooked

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

quote:

This game just makes me mad. It has the basic framework of a good game but is plagued with terrible decisions along the way that just make it frustrating.

quote:

maaaan this is the weirdest gaming experience in my life

Like I really want to like this game, but I've restarted 3 times now all within an hour and each time I got to a point where I just went 'what the gently caress, how do I do this' and put it away.

The idea of the game is awesome, but trying to learn this feels like I should get a degree in videogames for my troubles.

:allears: Look at these non-X3 players

X4 does not like my i5-6600K and 1070ti at 2560x1440, getting ~25 fps in a moderately populated shipyard. Granted that's a long-tooth CPU at this point, but...I dunno. Switching to Medium or Low presets and fiddling with various AA, SSAO and Glow settings don't seem to make a difference. Plus, VSync not being diable-able is an issue, and borderless windowing doesn't result in anything like I'm seeing in streams.

spider wisdom fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Dec 2, 2018

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
I didn't need the main menu, I guess:

I also got stuck in the elevator, and still rockin' a cool ~25-30 fps in stations. I'll be back in a month. :egosoft:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

Antigravitas posted:

Also, that #deca at the end there. :sickos:

:cursed:

the deca in albion prelude is one of the baddest mothers around. something about x3's buttery art direction is missing in x4 — the deca here looks like a toy. all the ships kinda have this bionicle vibe. :/ absolutely gonna rebuild
my fleet on a new 7.00 save though