Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

On one hand holy poo poo so soon.

On the other hand I wish I remained ignorant for another month and a half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Conskill posted:

I always assumed it was an aircraft R&D reference, especially since the Skunk was supposed to be a unique prototype before being lost.

Nah they play off the joke as it was originally named the Pride of Albion and someone renamed it in the computer because it smelled bad.

Like the devs were oddly excited about the ship being garbage.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Gorelab posted:

I can kinda see that in a there's a certain charm to the kinda run down space western aesthetic. Most of X4 didn't really fit it too well, but I did actually like how much of a poo poo heap Devires in general was.

Absolutely the Millennium Falcon/Serenity is proof of this. But critically they're still named something cool.

Something beat up and worn down can be cool. No one is like thats so awesome that this smells like poo poo.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Imagine not trusting a season pass but trusting a company thats selling spaceships for thousands of dollars

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

So the only reason I'm even a little bit hopeful for x4 being decent at launch is that Xrebirth ended up being a decent game at the end and with X4 being mostly the same engine there theoretically shouldn't be a whole lot to gently caress up.

On the other hand...

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

The very fact that egosoft is putting their hyper niche and mega German game in the hands of not so niche streamers is an extremely good sign.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

All ships have a cockit or bridge but there aren't irrelevant areas, no. You use a turbolift basically to traverse incidental areas of the ship if there would be any between say, the landing pad and the pilot seat.

You do not have a space shitter but you do instead have an actual game.

No wank pod no sale

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

So I hired a builder I gave the PHW all my money but its not making the first dock? What am I doing wrong?

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

X4 has significant technical improvements to its graphics but does not have quite as strong art direction as Rebirth does.

Yeah. X:Rebirth is probably the more complete game right this second but I just can't go back to it with all the improvements in X:4.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

How viable is it to just pick a faction to pirate off of without the whole galaxy hating you?

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Is it better to set up a trader to yank mined stuff off my auto miners to increase uptime or just keep them auto trading?

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Well my weed factory is apparently worthless. My dudes will just not sell this poo poo without me doing it for them.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

So can you play your old files for the expansion or should I be starting fresh?

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Are the ai change mods still worth it or have they sufficiently fixed the economy in the base game?

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Duodecimal posted:

Simple Boron solution is doing like the little pressure-cooker hamster dudes in Mass Effect.

The problem is they're very big.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

I can't seem to get my economy off the ground. I have a microchip anf ship hull factory but that poo poo aint selling to anybody.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

If I've set up shop in Argon space am I relatively safe if I piss off the ZYA? Want to supplement my station income with piracy and get a rattlesnake or four.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

timn posted:

Nothing inherently dangerous about being hostile with the ZYA, but I think you're probably better off capturing SCA destroyers to flip for cash and buying the rattlesnakes normally instead. Boarding a rattlesnake is a really quick way to dispose of all of your marines unless you've worked or cheated your way to a full complement of 5 star dudes.

SCA destroyers have all but disappeared for me. Haven't seen one in Noplieos or Hewas Twin in a couple dozen hours.

Was planning on loading up an L freighter or two with Marines and sending grunts to their doom.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

timn posted:

Just in case you aren't doing this already, my go-to method for finding them is to set satellites at every gate to/from a neutral sector and create a custom alert to ping whenever an SCA capital ship is detected. The cool thing about custom alerts is that if you go to your alerts history and click the little arrow button it will jump you to the ship's current location on the map even if you don't have satellite coverage there. So you can send a really fast scout to that area, use the button in the alert history again, then rinse and repeat until your scout makes actual radar contact.

Circumstances might be different in your game, but once I got the satellites and the custom alert out, I went from hardly ever seeing SCA capitals in person to getting pinged about far more of them than I could keep up with in terms of boarding.

I think it's easily the best way to make cash once you've kitted out your own corvette for disabling them and a frigate or two for the marines (sending L ships after a boarding target takes forever because they're so slow, frigates are reasonably fast and have high crew capacity so you can just use a couple of them instead). The SCA are total pushovers and each destroyer flips for a good 8-12 million.

I had the alert set up but never thought the satellites would trigger the ping. Are the regular satellites good enough for this?

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

queeb posted:

i feel like you just have to use the falcon as your primary ship in SW interworlds

Two questions about the Stat wars mod, besides obviously being star wars how does it change the gameplay like is it still an Empire builder? Second what are the good player ships besides the Falcon? Any Ls that don't feel like a chore to drive?

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

So what are the new starts? Kinda want to go terran but I just got a wharf started.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

So is project Genisis or Terran cadet a more fun start? Or is it more of just a lore thing.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

a7m2 posted:

The Paranid Nemesis is still the best all-rounder in my opinion. It's very powerful and pretty fast.

Isn't the Katana like straight up better besides having fewer guns though kind of a wash considering you can slap terran guns on it.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

MagicBoots posted:

Courier are super useful to assign as build storage traders since they are quick and can snap up small quantities of hull parts etc as they become available. They are also cheap and S-docks are plentiful so I set swarms of them as station traders and set them loose.

A bit more speed is generally not worth the significantly reduced cargo capacity when comparing hulls that can both use superhighways and a medium hauler and a courier with both snap up goods a build storage needs the instant they become available.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

ughhhh posted:

Also that shield=boost mechanic really benefits terran engines, since terran ships have insane accelerations, so the game adds another layers to equipment needs.

Incidentally this is another reason why I say the Katana is just better than the Nemesis. It can do the split gimmick better than the Split.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Ass_Burgerer posted:

I just don't really know what direction I should go with it. Should it be a massive shipyard? Claytronics/hull parts? Fleet supplies? Or maybe a massive teleporting defence station that turbofucks stations and sectors it pops into?

Yes

Sedisp fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Apr 3, 2021

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

I kinda want to fly something other than a rattlesnake. How are the Syn or Osaka as player ships?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

So I'm finally just going to jump into the star wars mod. Is there a good all purpose Nemesis esque ship or is it strictly bigger is better?