Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I'm glad they're still making these games but I'm not entirely convinced they'll ever get the X3 feeling back after Rebirth. I hope I'm wrong though as I want this to be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
So there is no story/plot in this game? Fine by me if there isn't, I never finished the previous games story missions.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
I wish they'd abandoned the scanning mini-games.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Is flying around a station with scan mode on the only way to find missions?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
I thought all the Kha'ak got killed in an X3 plotline?

Is there a shortcut for switching highway lanes to go back the way you came or do you just have to pull out of the lane and fly to the other?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
I love flying through systems at 6km/s much more than putting SETA 10x on in x3.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Sheep posted:

Is the universe randomized on every playthrough?

gently caress yes they are, the AI built a huge mining station 1km in front of the Antigones Memorial gate and I went flying into it at 5500 m/s.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Also what's with Xenon ships having generic pirate comms dialogue when you fight them?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

FrickenMoron posted:

Apparently the script for building new ships is broken for all factions which is why nothing seems to ever happen?!

I read on Reddit someone looked into the code and the defending fleet stuff works but the AI is meant to have an attacking fleet as well but currently, it doesn't rebuild it after it gets destroyed so everything just stops.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

GODDAMN FOOL posted:

Anyone else genuinely dig the space bar music?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQUnqF1ce6o&t=57s

Sounds like a remix to one of his older songs.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

FrickenMoron posted:

Didnt trade stations in x3 periodically consume their stock just for these cases? Seems pretty badly thought out to have Nvidium in the game but have nothing use it.

I also want to know if you can still take over xenon ships?

I've seen guild missions ask you to board them so I assume yeah.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Reddit people reporting shipyards are working right and that the war is starting up again in their games.

New dev video discussing future plans for X4 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hRC4pBl7qM

Aiming for 1.5 before Christmas, 2.0 by February.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Weren't Terran stations lag fests?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

The_Final_Stand posted:

Question: as someone who enjoyed X3 (TC and AP) but skipped Rebirth, would you recommend this new X game to me now, over the Christmas break, or should I wait for patches/sales to continue polishing it up?

Wait until Spring probably.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
1.5 released with new Ventures mode.

quote:

With this, the final update for this year, we introduce "Ventures" - an exciting new feature in which you send your ships out into other players' universes to explore and bring back rewards. Please note that this feature is currently in BETA and will be expanded upon in the new year. Happy holidays!

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Demiurge4 posted:

I think they just need to add populations to stations that have various goods upkeep requirements. That’ll give you constant drains on various consumer goods.

As for stuff to do. It’d be great if the game had various sectors just teeming with hostiles and there’s a faction campaign to clear it out and claim the resources there. Even better if the starting layout of your game has a lack of these resources and you need those sectors to shore up the economy in the long term.

Edit: in fact, something I’d like from the X series is a dead galaxy start. You wake up in a broken down ship and there’s nothing in the galaxy besides ruins. You scout around, repair and salvage whatever derelicts you can find and kickstart various factions back online through quests. That would be aces.

On the Starship Discoverer M5 ... Hope lives again.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
I have full faith this will be an awesome timeless game in 5 years.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Trailer for 3.0 dropped - and it's probably the worst trailer Egosoft has ever made. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC-s7fAhdyw

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

big nipples big life posted:

What's so bad about it? The split ships look cool and it seems to say the map is getting larger which is what a lot of people wanted.

It just looks like an intern made it. They've done better jobs in the past.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Coming out on the same day as Bannerlord, Corona isolation won't be so bad.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
While the game does have a content/objective problem - it is amazing how they've made a game where you can walk into your ship, fly out, take a highway and go through a jump gate to a whole other system with zero loading times (or hidden loading screens like Elite Dangerous) and almost no pop-in problems. It's very immersive. I wish Egosoft could get the money rolling in like Star Citizen did, they could do some really cool things.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

I feel like they put the xenon locations where they are with the 1.0 thing where they were kind of poo poo and needed to be next door to faction core systems to do anything.

And since they figured out how to take the brakes off the war system in 3.0 they could probably do with moving the xenon a lot further away from the other factions :v:

What was the error in the economy that was causing the war stuff to not work properly?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I haven't played in a while - have they expanded the map at all to include more frontier/dead space zones? That would probably help.

It's possible the Expansion will do this but I don't believe we have been given many clues on what the new map will look like. Pretty sure no new systems have been added since release.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Egosoft PR trying its best as usual.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
This is basically a relaunch of the game right? They're probably angling for a lot of people that didn't pick up the game at release because everyone knows X games need 2 years of patching to be worth buying.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Wtf is with the Free Families start - it puts me in a ship and tells me to destroy a huge armada 50km away as my first objective which is impossible.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
So Egosoft really doesn't want us to get our first autotrader until a few dozen hours into the game? The star gain on captains is absurdly slow still and it's really hard to get the higher level seminars for them.

I also don't really understand how to find good trades by myself on the map, even if somewhere has a shortage it's still buying the goods for less than they sell.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Pylons posted:

Distribute Wares is a kind of shittier autotrader, but 2 stars is a lot easier to get than 3.

So I need a lot of satellite coverage for that to work right?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
So, ore mining worked out and I have a few million now. I bought two Eclipse Vanguards so I could have a small wing to help me out fighting the Xenon.

Oh Egosoft.

Wings still seem to be completely broken and they don't follow you the majority of the time and when they do they don't use their fast drives so they're flying at 225m/s when I'm 80km away and getting blown up.

I'm kinda disappointed that the game is still this fundamentally broken after all this time, I had high hopes for 3.0.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

How skilled are the pilots?

Because that actually massively affects combat behaviour, low skill pilots are dumber than a box of rocks, but high skill ones can be quite decent, though at that point you obviously don't want them in fighter ships :v:

2 stars. I'm downloading a mod to just give me high skill pilots because there is no way Egosoft playtested this.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
I've had 3 traders assigned to the HQ and they do collect the research items overtime - a few of the items are pretty rare near the game start though so it takes a while. And remember you need solid storage containers for the Nvidium or it'll show as 0/0.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Erm, that HAT quest line sure was ... something.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

Do tell, I haven't done any of the plots yet, busy mapping out split space.

I've found that it is just the intro the all the other plots in the game. You need to complete that and the Player HQ to access the new Paranid and Split ones. Though I'm pretty sure the Split one has become bugged for me as I can't even talk to the dude to continue it now.

Also, is it normal for no systems to have exchanged hands in about 20 hours of gameplay? There haven't been any invasions at all as far as I can see.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
The Split questline is much better than the HAT one which I assume an intern did over a weekend.

My first fleet of Argon ships I made (3 Destroyers, 3 Frigates, 6 Heavy Fighters) took out most of a huge Xenon fleet in Teladi space but the Xenon I was too much for them, only one Destroyer made it out.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
The Xenon seem to have a hard time surviving in the Split DLC - one defense station I've built in Haktivah has halted all their raiding in there and the systems next to the HOP and ANT have been wiped out.

But my universe seems pretty peaceful? I don't see much fighting between any of the factions, they have stations in each other sectors and things seem pretty uneventful.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

SgtArseCandle posted:

So I want to like this game. I had X3TC installed and modded to nine hells and I liked it. I could start out as a bounty hunter in what amounted to a steel barrel with a 9mm handgun sticking out of it, and do assassinations, bounties, pirate hunting, a bit of light banditry in argon space. I would buy bigger and better ships. I loved flying the Hyperion or the Springblossom and did plenty of fighting in both. Eventually I'd amass a small fortune and start doing some empire building. I was a proper kingpin in that I started on the "street" and fought my way up into the boardrooms.

However, after about 6 hours it feels like this cannot be replicated in X4 (yet). There are no assassination/bounty missions like in X3, so it's difficult to earn a living through fighting. There's the occasional mission to harass a trader and make them give up some stupid heirloom, but these are all boring targets and I'm not supposed to kill them in any case. Even worse, these missions somehow always give me targets with the same faction I'm trying to fight for, resulting in a rep loss.

Banditry also seems to be somewhat iffy, because there are no low security sectors seemingly. There are so many patrols in pretty much every sector so it's impossible to get off the ground. Even later on, flying solo or a small wing is pretty much a death sentence in enemy sectors, so raiding can only be done with fleets seemingly.

So I did the usual grind and ended up in a Split Dragon. The problem is that it's turning speed is atrocious, even with max combat thrusters and engines. It has plenty of guns, but again, it feels like to actually experience combat, one has to have a fleet or might as well just not bother.

Am I doing something wrong here?

Have you joined the Scale Plate Pact? You can sign up with their faction rep just like you can any other faction.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Taerkar posted:

Are those the slaves that show up in that cutscene in the one Xenon system? Because they kinda flew into the side of a Xenon frigate and died.

I believe it is a scripted event that occurs whenever you discover a Jumpgate to a new Split sector - it doesn't have to just be that Xenon one.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
What am I doing wrong with my Resupply Nomad?

I've set it's role to Fleet Supply for my fleet of 20 Elite Vanguards and 2 Destroyers and I've told it to Gather Supplies but it just follows the fleet leader around. I've assigned it traders to help it get the wares but because the Nomad doesn't think it needs wares the traders don't do anything. When I dock a ship to resupply it, it says it requires such and such ware and I confirm the buy order but still the Nomad does nothing to actually get that ware. I'm super confused.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

bgreman posted:

The autopilot is so bad at dealing with getting off highways, drat. Every time, it just shunts me through the next gate. It'd keep riding the loop around if I didn't baby it.

There's also some glitch where if I pass up my exit, then quickly disable and re-enable the AP, it'll teleport me back to the other end of the highway.

Yet, if you tell your pilot to take you there this problem never happens. You'd think the pilot 'auto-pilot' would be running the same algorithm as your auto-pilot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Krogort posted:

I'm doing the Split quest and I have an objective to "deliver fleet".
Then when reading the briefing there is something ludicrous like 5 destroyer, some auxilary and a ton of corvettes.
Must I buy all those ships to progres? this seem ridiculous ! i don't have half of that as my own fleet !

Believe it or not, when you get this kind of quest in the faction war quests, it's actually easy money.