Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

XR had per-weapon drain, but mostly it just made you switch weapons constantly when trying to blow up a larger ship, which was boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

they don't have an RTS-style AI, but there is a war management AI. It's primary goal seems to be driving the economy and providing war missions though.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

VostokProgram posted:

How fun is this game going to be if I've never played an X game before? I like the idea of the game from what I've read, but how good is the execution?

i have a couple friends who have tried x4 as their first X game and both enjoyed it. You have to have a tolerance for jank, sometimes extreme jank. And its light on direction even for a sandbox game.

X isn't a good space combat game (but its decent), and it's not really a good empire builder (but its decent). Combining the two plus the dynamic economy gives it something special.

The biggest problem is you're probably going to need to sink more than a couple hours into it to give it a fair try so Steam Refund Strategy won't really work.

The advantage of x4 over earlier titles is that mechanics and user interface are both much more advanced. Everything takes forever in x2 or x3 until you memorize menu paths. Graphics are better too although x4 has some give and take compared to the gorgeous X Rebirth.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Dec 25, 2018

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

rebirth had no boron and a limited number of split

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

The sound is a big part

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

current version vanilla X Rebirth Sucellus does actually have AI to use its main gun properly. On the launch version of XR i think the Sucellus could still fire, just only if it was coincidentally aimed at its target which only happened on approach owing to the nature of capship ai.

OOS math is completely rewritten from x3 and you shouldnt rely on it. I haven't watched many destroyers at work but fighters seem to fare well against frigates. Had an Osprey take about 30% hull damage from a couple Discoverers. (Caveat: I think Pirate Discos tend to mount missiles.)

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Venture rewards are account bound, so in theory you can run a modded and unmodded save to send out ventures if you want the paint skins.

Although if you're modding anyway i presume you can just enable skins you like.

I wish the skin rewards were less random though. If you find a skin you like it doesnt seem you can target getting it in any way.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Well, you cant send out more than one ship, at least right now.

Theoretically they could whitelist popular good mods on the workshop. Also, not all mods will cause <modified>. For example, the program that modifies the LOD settings in the CAT files to make the game last longer on 2gb cards doesnt cause <Modified>.

Looking forward to sending ships to attack my friends stations. Well, if i had friends that played this more than ten hours, anyway. I think the concern with sending ships out in this case is that if you're sending hostile ventures with a modded game you could send out a max skill in everything, max quality mods on everything, super death boat to attack people and not even care if you lost it. Even if you're not directly modding free stuff there's mods that do stuff like highlight where all the valuable crystals are for you...

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jan 4, 2019

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

if you're talking about the production console on the docks, i think that's just part of the dock prop.

1 service crew on a fighter will do most of the repairing you need anyway, but yeah. Full featured carriers would be nice. Particularly if there were ships that catered towards having a support structure, like a bomber with lots of launchers but low missile storage.

Egosoft sadly still kinda sucks at balance and ship mechanics

On that note, one dumbfire launcher can roast a destroyers surface elements en masse with 1000-cr dumbfires... Not only did it take more shots in X Rebirth, but since the ships were bigger you couldnt wipe out a whole facing in one go except on the weakest ships.

I really want to dig in and rebalance stuff, but i want to put ventures through their paces....

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jan 5, 2019

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Section Z posted:

The map may be small, but no jump drive means gate chokepoints are (in theory) important.... Except the superhighway would carry you to the opposite side of a main loop sector before someone can say "Hey, you're not supposed to be here!" :doh:

its baffling to me that there's highways between PAR and HOP

The whole map lacks no mans lands, and it seems to be deliberate because the only pirate sector gap i've encountered has the gates basically 2 inches from eachother

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

Which mod is this?

https://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=146&t=409184

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

note, if you do anything but the lod stuff, it will cause modified

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

most demand comes down to the production of spaceships. Figure out what's stalling ship building and start trading in that (or producing it).

Spacefuel is probably just saturated.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Maybe if there wasnt a huge superhighway directly connecting belligerents.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

thank god, i was actually worried they were going to stupidly obsolete carriers with teh resupply ships

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

The short version is to simply order ships from shipyards until you get a decent captain. The odds arn't bad of getting a good one or anything but it is annoying.

the crew skill system is awful and its been awful in every game theyve added it.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Hav posted:

So, this one?

XR had a crew skill system which they eventually patched out anything that mattered in it because it was stupid and now its just stupid because you just need to wait a bit for your ships to be good at things.

X3-(?) had a marine skill system which involved carefully babying your marines for infinite boardings and ragequit when you lost one.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Some automatic functions (trading, mining) and most formations are gated behind skill minimums. In practice, it just involves a small amount of tedium, money, and micro to get around.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Cobbsprite posted:

If I like Freelancer, Everspace, Space Pirates and Zombies, and the like, is this game worth getting? I'm considering it, but fifty bucks is a lot for something that might not come out well.

X4 isn't as good a space shooter as those games, but its got a fairly deep empire building mechanic and economy simulation. Get it if you like space shooters and also like strategy/empire building games.

Note: you need some tolerance for jank.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

yeah, the x games have never really natively had a reason to have big fleets or an empire or an endgame like that. X4's sin in this regard is probably its pretty easy to get to the endgame point compared to previous games (imo).

The map is truely X4s biggest flaw though. There's no badlands between empires, or war zones, or dead space or anything. HOP and PAR literally have a highway to eachother. (????). And some weird choices like a xenon gate 2 inches from the Teladi capital (with little apparent defensive measures.) They should make an official mark 2 map, even if its not save compatible.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Never had that problem. It should work fine regardless of satellites.

In x3, if the cpu was too overloaded ship scripts would sometimes crash or just turn off, which would cause ships just to sit in space in sector. Its possible you are running into a problem like that if your CPU is being redlined.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I tried it. It's alright. The navigation scheme is...original. There's nothing really wrong with it per se, although some things seemed pretty shallow. And a lot of the assets are still Unity Store. Just didn't click for me though.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

taxation is kinda how we thought it would work when they described it back in the day, like an actual incentive on your station placement... but just like research mechanically its a wet fart.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

quote:

Changed Bomber ship type designation to Gunboat.

I guess its better than pretending they are bombers.

I watched (much of) the stream. Some interesting stuff. They hired an actual marketing professional for the first time. 2.6 was originally going to be a waaaay smaller patch. And they said they took a multipronged approach to making 'sitting next to a capships hull shooting it to death over 20 minutes' unworkable. Which is good, since its real bad gameplay... but i just had to roll my eyes at it. C'mon, guys, people have been doing this in your games for literally 15 years or more.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 16, 2019

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Make sure you are issuing a dock request (shift D while targeting object iirc) before landing

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

kinda why satellites were a bad idea in the first place. Much like crew skill, they engender a lot of micro and work just by existing.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Yeah. It's pretty good. It doesnt address most of my pet issues, but it makes huge improvements to important parts of the game. Fleet organization is a big one.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I'm pretty sure that the XR ships don't make their performance targets for an X4 ship, so their internal view is that they'd have to totally remake them to put them in. But the way they talk about it comes across as a little dismissive and weird.

I think the X4 performance targets are probably too aggressive though, they could do with strapping more turrets onto ships at the least.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

They had to push it back, so I think they want to be ironclad before committing. Beta 5 contained a ridiculous amount of bug fixes though.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Beta 6 just dropped.

quote:

[Beta 6] New Feature: Paranid Ares heavy fighter and Xenon T scout.
[Beta 6] New Feature: New unlockable gamestart.
[Beta 6] New Feature: Oxygen display when player is in spacesuit.
[Beta 6] New Feature: Search facility for Logbook.

[Beta 6] Added Destroy Station and Destroy Station Turret missions to War Subscriptions.
[Beta 6] Added Interact menu option to collect individual deployables.
[Beta 6] Added Accept Estimate options to Station Info menu and Logical Station Overview.
[Beta 6] Added Start Guidance to Object option to interact menu of drops.
[Beta 6] Added option to rename ships in Ship Config menu when building/upgrading.
[Beta 6] Added option to disable highlighting of other visiting players in map and radar.
[Beta 6] Added option to toggle selection lines in map (new feature in 3.00).
[Beta 6] Added possibility to confirm second ship upgrade if first upgrade finished while Ship Config menu was open.
[Beta 6] Added possibility to restrict individual factions from buying ships at player-owned shipyards and wharves.
[Beta 6] Added weapon group shortcuts to Controls Option menu.
[Beta 6] Added mouse-over text for ship order icons in Object List and Property Owned.
[Beta 6] Added option to opt out of some confirmation messages.
[Beta 6] Added race-based engine trail colours.
[Beta 6] Added medium quality option for Screen Space Reflections.
[Beta 6] Added chromatic aberration option.
[Beta 6] Added new sector-specific music.
[Beta 6] Added music to Player Headquarters reveal.

[Beta 6] Removed countermeasure display in crosshair when player is in spacesuit.
[Beta 6] Removed the option to deploy consumables in highways.

[Beta 6] Improved aiming accuracy of weapons and turrets.
[Beta 6] Improved low attention combat calculations.

[Beta 6] Improved cargo drone handling of crates that get destroyed.
[Beta 6] Improved Flight School tutorial especially when playing with gamepad (new feature in 3.00).
[Beta 6] Improved trigger conditions for station budget transfer upkeep missions.
[Beta 6] Improved suspense music behaviour to reduce interruptions to normal music.
[Beta 6] Improved sector-specific music behaviour to play more often.
[Beta 6] Improved visualisation of mission guidance on platforms (new feature in 3.00).

[Beta 6] Fixed message about missing Builder ship from Station Build menu if no Builder ship actually needed.
[Beta 6] Fixed stations with automatic unit settings sometimes dismantling units and working with a reduced amount.
[Beta 6] Fixed ships sometimes ignoring certain highways for in-sector travel.
[Beta 6] Fixed subordinates set to Docked sometimes responding to attacks directed at other members of their fleet but not at them (new feature in 3.00).
[Beta 6] Fixed fleet subordinates set to Docked getting stuck trying to dock when docking not possible (new feature in 3.00).
[Beta 6] Fixed displayed speed being too low in some highways.
[Beta 6] Fixed weapons not properly activating or deactivating when assigned to both primary and secondary groups.
[Beta 6] Fixed ships doing damage with forward-mounted weapons to targets not in front of them when in low attention.
[Beta 6] Fixed attacking capital ships getting distracted by attacking fighters.

[Beta 6] Fixed stations not ordering components to build turrets if no other module changes are made.
[Beta 6] Fixed docked ship that player just relinquished control of waiting for player to tell it to proceed even if ship's current order does not require it to undock.
[Beta 6] Fixed subordinates in a subordinate group set to Docked not docking (new feature in 3.00).
[Beta 6] Fixed potential cause of friendly NPC factions attacking each other due to accidental friendly fire.

[Beta 6] Fixed cases where NPCs assigned to objects do not arrive and remain missing.
[Beta 6] Fixed upkeep missions to assign crew not completing until crew take control.
[Beta 6] Fixed pirates hacking station storage not reacting to cover being blown or station being destroyed.
[Beta 6] Fixed cargo drones failing to transfer inventory items in collected crates to their drone commander's captain.
[Beta 6] Fixed capital ships doing little or no damage in low attention under certain conditions.
[Beta 6] Fixed more cases of ships ending up very far from the centre of their sector.
[Beta 6] Fixed several cases of docking guidance going through station geometry.
[Beta 6] Fixed docking guidance not being visible when loading a savegame.
[Beta 6] Fixed various issues with mission guidance on stations.
[Beta 6] Fixed case where player ship could suddenly change rotation when opening map.
[Beta 6] Fixed info menu failing to load if viewing a ship that has more cargo stored than it has storage space for.
[Beta 6] Fixed Station Build menu only showing first digit of number of modules (new feature in 3.00).
[Beta 6] Fixed missing error colours in the shopping list for ship upgrades (problem introduced in 3.00).
[Beta 6] Fixed another case of map getting stuck to cursor (problem introduced in 3.00).
[Beta 6] Fixed repeated voice lines when talking to the flight instructor several times (new feature in 3.00).
[Beta 6] Fixed savegame names not auto-generating correct location name after overwriting a save once (existing savegames will not be fixed automatically).
[Beta 6] Fixed wrong blueprint error in Ship Build menu after returning from encyclopedia.
[Beta 6] Fixed Ship Interactions menu not working in certain circumstances.
[Beta 6] Fixed cases where text could be stuck on screen in first person mode.
[Beta 6] Fixed cases where crosshair was missing in first person person mode.
[Beta 6] Fixed silent failure when saving very large savegames.

[Beta 6] Fixed causes of several performance issues in specific circumstances.

[Beta 6] Fixed several causes of crashes.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

If I recall correctly, High Attention is the immediate area around the player, running 'normally. Mid attention is a little further than that, doing stuff like low framerate collision detection so that it can be geared up to high attention quickly if the player switches their view, and low attention is out of sector or quite far from player insector.

could be totes wrong though.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

no. theyve discussed adding the ability to teleport the phq, but for the moment if you want it somewhere else you have to mod.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Major Isoor posted:

drat, that's a shame. :( Oh well, I might have to add a mod that let's me specify where to dump it, or something. (Although out of curiosity, will adding mods mess with my save? Like, disabling achievements and whatnot)

Either way, I think I'll wait until the SV expack comes out, and dive into the game then

I am not actually sure about cheevos, but it does restrict your abilities to do ventures.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Let's not forget the good times in X2, when the dogfighting AI would wait until the last microsecond to break off - resulting in uncountable player deaths via head-on collision.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Kinda worried that they haven't done anything to corral the Xenon Apocalypse that's been occurring for numerous betas - and now there's only 2 weeks left. Which means maybe 1 week left in practice.

I'd like to think its fixed on the SV version, but historically hoping there's a 'Secret fix in the live version' has never worked out. Unless Xenon Apocalypse doesn't tend to happen in the SV map, and its only vanilla plebs that will suffer it.

It's far from a minor issue since its permanent to savegames.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

My biggest issue with the UI is that it doesn't *quite* work like an RTS, because issuing a new order always queues it instead of interrupting a new order. So if a ship is flying somewhere, and instead you want it to attack a target, you have to go into its menu to cancel its orders or issue as "Cancel All Orders" command before the attack order will take place.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

It doesn't quite own, but it's Pretty Good.

It requires jank tolerance for sure.

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

It's gonna be awesome when someone makes a Litcube esque mod for X4, specifically the implementation of an end game threat that grows and conquers systems and eats away the galaxy sector by sector, and and you actually have to stop it yourself.

I've never played a single play through of an x game as much as I did my Litcube play through.

That exists right now in 3.0: its the Xenon, because they are OP compared to the factions. Egosoft has had to put some work into backstops for faction representatives in 3.0, because the Xenon keep blowing up faction home stations and breaking the factions.

The War/Faction system provides a good framework for that sort of thing. It would be relatively easy to mod new threats, or simply to overpower an existing faction

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Mr. Crow posted:

Also what was the carrier in that trailer, I don't remember carriers launching fighters like that, have I just not played this in that long?

It's from the DLC, not sure what it is. All carriers have launch tubes for launching more fighters at a time than their docking pads can accommodate, but they work for launching only.

Stations have launch tubes too, but I'm not sure they actually work.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah not the best trailer in the world but I like the new split ship designs and the new effects. Not entirely sure why they put in footage of stuff that's already in the game though.

I did notice like, a giant lockbox though with seemingly eight locks on it, which I think is new?

Nah the 8-lock boxes have always been in x4, just rare.

they can still just be full of mines though :(

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

I don't think I've ever seen one of my carriers actually use those tubes, but yeah.

Gotta say I'm a little disappointed with that trailer. The new ships were very nice, I liked them a lot, but the rest didn't really seem to be any different than X4 as have now. Opening up lockboxes and data vaults is nothing new. The research screen was just the same thing as before.

That carrier was really cool though.

Putting the research screen in the trailer was straight up funny. The person putting it together must be working off a checklist or something... X4 Research is so placeholder it hurts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

X4's architecture is pretty resilient to changes. For the most part, you should be fine patching an existing game to Split Vendetta - they've already added new sectors to 3.0 without significant issue, for example.

I think the biggest patch issue is spawned Xenon warships that could be an issue if you have assets in or near Xenon space.