Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
I'm getting into modding the game myself, I've been playing with this vfx mod called fire and smoke for ship and module explosions and I can't play the game without it any more, capital ship fights especially become absolute eye candy. Only problem was it wasn't fully updated for cradle of humanity or the 4.10 aoe damage so I had to fix that myself. Check it out

https://www.nexusmods.com/x4foundations/mods/788

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
egosoft's twitter says tomorrow we get the first look at the new pirate expansion :yarr:

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
The trading ships will eventually get there, it'll just take a while for them to fly all the way to grand exchange from terran space, and I've found the eta timers to always be wrong but the ships eventually arrive. If you plan to keep using terran structures you should prioritize manufacturing your own building supplies, or if you want to change over to commonwealth materials you will need to buy new blueprints from local factions.

And if you haven't already - you should start setting up a satellite network in your local sectors so you can find builders quickly. The game literally has a builder loitering in every inhabited sector solely for player use.

Oscar aint no Slouch fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Nov 26, 2021

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
I think that's also a thing, just locked behind high relations. In my late-game save I remember having builder ships from like 3 different factions just loitering around my hq constantly

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
Finally got around to playing with the new expansion, gotta say the new combat soundtrack absolutely slaps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FeagSPOCCw&t=115s

Did my first playthrough on 4.10 a year ago finishing all the plots, oos combat was broken at the time so my galaxy was boring and no territory really changed hands.

This time doing a budget custom start with full war mode ARG+ANT vs TER, TRI vs all and ZYA win. Complete carnage.

I got my economy built up with the Terrans and I think I have them so stimulated they're at population cap. I'm at the point now where I've got my shipyard and can start making waves, just surveying the galaxy, ZYA are in shambles pushed back all the way into the northeast, the north is full red xenon. TRI is somehow barely hanging on to their northwest wharf. Hatikvah is just perma hellcamped by xenon. Due to economic roid rage the Terrans have proceeded to kick everyone's poo poo in. Antigone is now just gone. I don't think the Argon have any ships left. Terrans have extended, fully garrisoned and entrenched from getsu fune all the way into flashpoint, and are now simultaneously sieging argon prime, black hole sun, the rest of second contact, and true sight. I'm now hastily trying to establish a commonwealth production line in nopileos' so I can counter balance out the TER war machine with TRI.
As I write this I see a Tokyo and Osakas razing Argon Prime, and an Asgard systematically purging true sight.

The carnage has my attention so much I've barely touched the avarice content that prompted this playthrough. I should probably set up a salvage yard for the paranid to sell their station wrecks back to them.

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
I don't see the problem with that? :shrug:

Game runs very well on my end, granted I did just upgrade my cpu. As for multiplayer I would personally love a small scale coop server with friends commanding the same faction, or even possibly a pvp faction v faction, sort of like leading an eve online corp but without the space job / corralling pubs.

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
Wow that Attack Turrets order is going to be a game changer for Xenon warfare.

Anyone who ever felt that Xenon stations murdered your cap fleets, it's because their L Turrets do absurd damage. You need to de-claw them before anything else, and by doing that it's possible to take down a station with no casualties. I would always do it manually then have my fleet clean up after, but now your fleets should be able handle the whole thing by themselves.

While I'm at it I'll share my manual strategy:
Unless the station has defense discs, the L turrets are going to be on the main segment pieces in pairs on the top and bottom, so a fully armed defense station will have 16 guns. You can outrange them with L Plasma turrets and/or Terran capital main guns. You can even do bombing runs in a frigate like the Cobra with all dumbfire launchers, there's some missiles specced for surface damage I don't remember.
And the Terran war guild rewards 30 million a piece, last playthrough I got on that real fast the moment I got the plot reward Syn.

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
Why not both? Do the Darth Vader playstyle where you fly your private fighter in amongst your fleet, dock on your flagship to take charge when necessary

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014

Sample_text posted:

I want to ask, would this aspect of the game be worked on for the upcoming DLC + patch, or have they left it as is and it just "is what it is" ?

I put some time into this game , and I WANT to like it, but the fact that the combat just plain "doesn't work" is a dealbreaker for me.

To your question, a page or so ago someone said they have literally just fixed main gun simulation out of sector,

And to your statement, you gotta either rephrase it or be more specific because I don't see what you mean?

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
Ok I get what you mean now . I would say that while yes, the game is bad at being what you want it to be, I think you're treating it as something it isn't , but if you're aware of its limitations it is by no means bad. The game is also not perfect either and there's always room for improvement.

On the topic of in-sector vs out-of-sector simulation, the divergence is notable and unfortunate, however you have to consider that once the battle is out of your sight, it's just one out of hundreds that could be getting simulated at that time, along with every other entity doing its thing in every sector. And consider that for every battle that doesn't work in your favor oos that should have, there should be an equal number that did go your way oos that shouldn't have.

With the flight ai, I will admit that I too was disappointed when I hired my first wingmen and they died super fast. But then all enemies use that ai as well, so all ships in this game not piloted by you have abysmal survival rates, and conversely any fight you're personally involved in will swing massively in your favor given equal numbers, so any fight you really care about should have you in the midst

So I guess what I'm trying to say is the playing field is mostly level, and you're putting too much scrutiny at too small a scale. This is more of an rts you can play from a first person view. Think more Eve online instead of elite dangerous. Winning is mostly decided by who can bring n+1 dudes unless in this case you can also personally tip the scale

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
So there's a few concepts in this game that you have to grasp in order to make it do what you want.

The whole universe is basically just a total war economy. Resources never truly run out either so wealth generation is only limited by how fast it gets extracted, now the xenon are ultimately the sink. If ships never blow up, all the factions would reach their pop caps and the shipyards would stop producing, stop buying, all the gears stop turning because everyone has what they need and want for nothing. On the other end, if too many ships are getting killed, there's no one to mine, no one to haul, no one to defend. So the economy ends up starving and the shipyards end up trickling out ships now and then.

The game is designed in such a way where all the factions mine and haul just enough to get by, because that leaves room for the player to exploit and make money. So if you hire a bunch of miners to go mine for a faction, you're going to boost production, and their ship generation will outpace destruction and they'll dominate whoever they're fighting. This ties in to the whole Dal Busta conversation nicely too because you can do evil poo poo like make friends with everyone, build and mine and haul for them, making more ships that in the end just blow each other up instantly after undocking from your private shipyard that sells to both parties.

Late-game you can make your economy self-sustaining, basically the rts phase where you've surpassed the need for money because there's nothing you really want to buy because you're only limited by how fast you can mine and build for yourself.

When it comes to fighting Xenon, the main thing that makes them deadly is their L turrets. Those are on their capitals, and on their station defenses. The thing is, they're outranged by L plasma turrets, and the terran capital main guns. If you get yourself a Syn destroyer with L argon/paranid plasmas, you've got the best ship in the game imo, you can put 8 L turrets that can all fire forward at the same time while you shoot the main guns at your target.

If you're having trouble in Hatikvah, that's because that system gets overrun by the Xenon literally next door. You're gonna want to save up a bit, and put a sizeable perma gatecamp there to stabilize the place. Probably at least 4 destroyers minimum, but more is better because once you get critical mass you'll kill everything before you take losses. That also trains your pilots so you can just put your rookies there for a first assignment. Here's what I've got going on there in my old save

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
The xenon simultaneously have a local population cap for each sector or cluster defense, as well as a global cap. So if you wipe out all xenon from your corner of the galaxy, their fleets will get larger everywhere else

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
foreshadowing re: Heretic's End

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
Kingdom End releases April 12

https://twitter.com/EGOSOFT/status/1641063042115829761

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
I think destroyed station plots get garbage collected periodically, so leave and come back in half an hour is my guess?

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014

I dunno game seems to work fine over here :shrug:

Sometimes you just don't "get" a game and that's perfectly fine. Like for me the last few games I didn't "get" that come to mind were Risk of Rain 2, and Red Dead 2. I could appreciate they were good games, but they just didn't work for me.

I don't know of any other game than x4 that you could realistically claim is simulating an entire miniature eve online for you.

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
verify your file integrity in steam

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014

queeb posted:

god i dont want to wait anymore for this, im pumped to start a new save. I had really good luck last game i started setting up a trading base in terran space near the asteroid belt with several L haulers shipping energy from mercury for 1c each out to it and having the station sell at like 8-10c, just making millions every few minutes, I'll probably do that again. and then you build your own solar farm there and really rake it in.

I'm pretty sure since 4.0 they actually buffed terran space even more, on release Saturn sucked but check it out again that system with Saturn 1+2+Titan is basically a second asteroid belt

I kinda feel like going terran esp. with the simple economy is too easy at this point, but I'm still tempted

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
I've never gone out of my way to measure my wealth generation in this game, and I feel like "making billions" is actually a misguided goal, because once you reach that scale credits change what they mean since you're at nation state scale essentially. You're much better off keeping excess wealth generation and production in-house at that point, making a closed loop economy without the credit intermediary, you get more control of what you want to build and how.

Like sure you can build a dragon hoard of credits but if you ever try to spend it you will grind the npc economy to a halt since you'll clean them out of raw resources. What you'll actually want to do is keep liquidity down, avoid trade imbalances so that your trade partner grows with you and that expands the market so you feed off each other.

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
computronic substrate is the big money maker but terrans are bottlenecked by metallic microlattice super hard. If you want to boost their economy, build as many as you want because you will constantly be sold out, and be compensated very little for your trouble, if you ignore the benefits down the line

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
I think there's gonna be a gate re-linking mechanic as part of the kingdom end plot, probably not the main gates but maybe all the inactive gates floating around are going to be able to be rewired by the player

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
Patched in 5.something I think

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
that collins guy on youtube put up a vid about it as well, the M ships sound interesting: their gunboat gets 8 turrets, their corvette has almost as much shields as a rattlesnake

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
Yeah I'm convinced what that blurb literally just means is once you clear savage spur you can supply components to their shipyard. I think the only blueprints and jobs they have access to is their fighter and corvette, and will build raiding parties forever.

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
the main thing is population and build time. so with a megaplex you are rate limited by the single builder assembling one module at a time, whereas with lots of small stations you can parallelize. then with population you gain bonuses to efficiency at every stage of production, so if you can go all the way from ores to launching ships you will see the most benefits. with lots of small stations i don't think it's even worth the hassle so i just leave them automated to not have to bother with meatbags and their food and medical and housing needs

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
Here's some piracy things I've done:

You can use a L freighter as a marine dropship, there's the argon Shuyaku Vanguard that can fit 224(!) marines.

Pirate the pirates: You can set up a custom notification for L size ships of a certain faction. So if you have your satellite network set up, you can have an alarm go off and pinpoint any time a SCA phoenix or behemoth shows up, or a fallen families rattlesnake. The split are much harder to board though. Since they're pirates you shouldn't attract police attention when you steal them, just make sure to scan them first, and make sure the system is not pirate friendly. Scale plate is welcomed by teladi, and I think fallen families are welcomed by free families.

edit: 224 not 130; rattlesnake not raptor

Oscar aint no Slouch fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Apr 18, 2023

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
I'm sure there's a proper way to do it but my quick and dirty is to see how many destroyers I can order at a shipyard before I get put on the waitlist, and what materials it says I have to wait for

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
How do you guys organize your cap fleets, especially now with the new carrier changes and bombard command? Do you make the carrier the fleet leader? Or the battleship? Do you put your carrier on intercept duty, or its fighters, or both?

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
the mod where you can't be friends with everyone is reactive factions

the mod to pay for rep changes is a feature in deadair dynamic wars

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
I never got the chance to use seta. The game does a great job giving you plenty to do, as long as you don't neglect setting up long term projects you will not run out of things to be actively doing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
On my last playthrough a while back once I got the syn I was making good money just by fighting by taking the terran destroy xenon station missions. I think I recall they paid out 20 mil a piece and the trick was to outrange the station's turrets which the syn main battery could do by default and outfit plasmas on the L turrets. As long as I took out the xenon station L turrets first, I could take them down with no losses. This might be even easier now that there is an attack turrets command for ai controlled ships, but I haven't played since they added that.