Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I picked this up recently on sale, and would appreicate some basic starter advice on how to get started in-game, and any essential mods, and so forth.

Also I didn't get any DLC and it's not on sale anymore, are any of them essential?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

How do I set a ship to autotrade? I've got a mod which should mean i'm meeting the entry requirements but I don't see the option when giving orders.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

What's the cheapest peice of poo poo ship I can get my hands on easily to load up with antimatter and explode for this scientist guy?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Discoverer Vanguard, actually.

I mean, "blow up your starting scout" is valid but i'll need a suggestion for a replacement "wander around finding things and dropping satellites" ship in that case :v:

EDIT: Or more accurately standing around in the cockpit while the guy i hired and trained to be a pilot does it, but.

Zereth fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 23, 2021

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

It does have two guns but i'm avoiding fighting anything that's not a defenseless criminal-faction civilian ship.

I'm sure Tupmanckatslot would appreciate a ship to pilot where his head doesn't clip into the roof, though.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Oh it's not trepidation it's cheapness, yeah. I've got an autotrader running but they aren't producing cash very fast, since I couldn't afford much of a ship for it. Maybe I should've gotten a miner first oh well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Antigravitas posted:

At least you don't have to trade energy cells in an M5 anymore. :shepface:
I recall in x3 hanging out by a whiskery distillery, waiting for somebody to undock, then scanning them with a police scanner and demanding they drop their cargo since it was illegal in the system, then having a freighter i looked up the location of and salvaged grab it and sell it back to the station, to get cash. :laugh:

OwlFancier posted:

Miners I think are absolutely the way to go in this, the trading AI isn't very smart but the mining AI can generally fill up a cargo hold and sell it to a station, and there are plenty of stations around that need resources.

I also think miners are a bit cheaper than traders for some reason.

The economy sort of works in a broad sense but a lot of the individual actors are quite stupid.

Also unrelated but god drat I like the interior on the katana. Clean, spacious, and you don't need to use the lift.
I'm not sure how to sell my courier and get a mining ship instead, and i'd need either new crew or somewhere to put my old crew while changing ships. A miner is next on the list after a sacrificial ship to get at the player HQ (if I'm understanding what questline i'm on correctly, anyway).

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

where in the gently caress are the teladi wanting me to go to rank up here i keep going to brand new systems

maybe i should have dropped off my passenger who wanted me to go in the other direction first I thought this would be fast

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Is there a way to know where to look for a mission which wants me to drop a resource probe in a location of high concentration of stuff? Besides just dropping probes all over the system (in red hexes) until I find it?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Guess I better go buy some more probes if this takes longer so I don't need to keep picking them up again.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Uh

My pilot seems to have gotten himself stuck inside an asteroid, is there anything I can do about this?

EDIT: I took control and rammed my way out. How did this happen in the first place :psylon:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

It happens regularly to me, collision on asteroids isn't the best though it's easy to get out of them usually. Not alt-tabbing (since the game hates that lol) and no frame drops or anything
I didn't hire somebody to pilot the ship I'm standing in for no reason. :colbert:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Is there a way to tell if a station is in range of one of my sattelites other than going away and seeing if it changes to "Time until information expires"?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Oh, google found me a better way of getting out of stuck things: select a station far away and choose External View and suddenly collision stops being checked for your ship.

Which is good because I was REALLY stuck in that station.

Also do satellites have vertical range because sometimes it looks like a station is in range but it isn't.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

okay i keep looking at my list of owned ships and noticing my trade courier got itself killed somehow, time to buy a gas miner and strip that thing down and blow it up. :negative:

EDIT: it did it again while i was writing this post :negative:

edit edit: i see it's flying through a fight between an FRH ship and an ARG laser tower.

Zereth fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 23, 2021

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

... I need a construction ship now. Can I, like, rent one to get my dock built?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

How do I find the spacesuit dock on a Tern Sentinel? Also, is there any penalty to abandoning the mission once i've secured the ship? It's a transporter, which i'm gonna need to collect the resources with...

EDIT: nevermind i reassigned my engineer on my ship I got here with to be a marine and told the ship to claim the transport

Zereth fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Mar 24, 2021

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

They did in fact care about me abandoning the mission once i was in the ship. :sigh: The gas miner does seem more reliable, at least, even if it has trouble finding enough places to sell a full load.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Hm, i've seen multiple missions asking me to build hull parts stations and nobody's selling hull parts to my dock on my mysterious circular station that appeared out of nowhere. Should I be worried, and/or trying to scrape up enough money to make a hull parts station of my own?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Take a look at Hull Parts in the trade filters and see how the supply/demand is shaking out. If availability is slim and prices are high, it's probably a good idea.
How much seed money would i need to make a hull parts station?

EDIT: Also what do the little box or three boxes icons next to an item mean? Low supply?

Zereth fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Mar 25, 2021

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Will refined metals sell if I'm in Teladi space?

EDIT: Okay I advanced the player HQ quest but now the guy needs extraction and he recommends having a "fast combat ship". I assume the discoverer vanguard i'm in won't cut it, it tends to die if I get in a fight I can't run away from that isn't with an unarmed ship. What should I be looking at?

Zereth fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Mar 25, 2021

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

You should bring something that can fight off two fighters.

I threw the frigate I salvaged right then at it but basically anything that's not a scout will do
:negative: all this Teladi rep isn't any use for getting military gear at the "Ministry of Finance" shipyard or wharf that are convenient to where i 'm tooling around doing stuff. Guess i'll go take a few mission in argon space next door.

EDIT: Also if I understand correctly i need to do this (the mission with combat) before I can start researching things.

Zereth fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Mar 25, 2021

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ass_Burgerer posted:

Plus, there's a FREE medium combat ship there for you to capture and use (can't capture it, though, because capturing ships is bugged currently, and even if you can manage to capture it with a marine, the turrets will never work because it's bugged).
... I can't, like, sell the turrets and then buy new ones or anything?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

No sign of an unclaimed ship at the mission so :shrug:

EDIT: a mission just gave me a free freighter, so how do I assign it to my HQ to squire research materials?

Zereth fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Mar 25, 2021

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Is there some way to find that data leaks are there to look for other than "wander slowly around stations in scan mode"?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

They are audible and there is also a small equalizer that shows up when you are near one, and gets bigger the closer you are, as well as shifting left and right to indicate directionality.

sloppy portmanteau posted:

Make sure to have the signal leak indicator setting on under accessibility options in order to see that equalizer.
Yeah, but is there a way to know to look for those in the first place? Stations are pretty big and I don't see a way to distinguish "here's a thing that might give you a module" from "here's a random mission".

EDIT: Is there a command to sell everything a ship has to a station :staredog: like if i had a suitable ship on hand could I just tell it to collect drops then sell to the station on repeat

Zereth fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Mar 25, 2021

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

How close to a data leak to you have to be to scan it with your suit? because I was literally bumping off the station for these last two and it didn't scan.

EDIT: oh I need to be rubbing my face on the weird red ball, which I guess I can't if it's decided to spawn inside the station geometry. Is there a mod to increase the range at which your suit scans data leaks?

edit: the xenon just started building a defense platform in hatikvah's choice 1. And I don't think my single heavy fighter can clear them out here. :ohdear: They brought a K which ahs the biggest ship icon of any ship i've seen so far.

edit again: oh no here comes a second K

... are Ks supposed to be invincible? they occasionally take 1% shield damage and then heal it right back up nearly instantly.

Zereth fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Mar 26, 2021

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Well, I've got some basic production module blueprints now, although refined metal keeps eluding me. Should I set up near the player HQ, or like, off by the big highway loop?

EDIT: or I suppose build on the player HQ itself but it seems awkward building around the big circle part.

Zereth fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Mar 26, 2021

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

What do I need to make it so L ships can dock at my stations? I've got a basic dock and a weird T-shaped thing, is the latter suitable?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Oh hey, when I was travelling through I noticed a bunch of stations near the paranid/other paranid border were dead, maybe I should build there. On the big loop, not very far from the player HQ (which I'm assuming is always in the same place?), and there's a hole in the ecnomy there now.

Speaking of which, is it worth trying to be friendly with the Other Paranids and the Argon/Paranids at the same time? So I can just sit back and watch this kind of thing happen and then build stations to fill in the holes left behind?

Zereth fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 26, 2021

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Nice. Is there a way to trick factions into destroying other factions' stations without getting the victim faction mad at me? Like, specific ones.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Speaking of boarding are there any factions it's safe to piss off? Like the ones which area already deep red for me, can I just (try to) steal their ships fine?

Not sure I want to piss off SCA or anything, the fastest way to get to the main highway from my HQ passes by some stations of theirs.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

queeb posted:

SCA is locked at -5 so feel free to raid them forever

FAF is not though, theyll get mad
So how do I get readouts on like, boarding strength so I know if I've got a decent shot at taking one?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

With... Purple or Blue scan mode?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Oh, drat, that sounds like something I'll need to pilot the ship myself to do.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Is that something you can do to larger ships? i've only bothered engaging fighters so far.

EDIT: and things like "tour bus" when they turn up red as part of the generic Criminal faction.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I meant the scanning. I've never seen an option to order a pilot to scan something turn up.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

staberind posted:

I also have the "learnallthethings" mod so I can get decent pilots/crew whatever and a better pace than the base games glacial pace.
Oh,
you can switch the jobs of the crew of your ships by going to info/crew, and reducing the slider from x, and increasing the slider on y, then hitting ok, they will also keep their level, so free 5 star marines from a bunch of grubby ship staff is possible.
Do marines learn to marine better in the base game without actually doing boarding actions?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Let's say I found an Osprey that fell off the back of a truck. How would I want to kit it out?

EDIT: Whyyyyy am I not getting the blueprint for refined metal production? i keep getting "nothing" or "some kind of temporary thing i dont' care about".

Zereth fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Mar 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

oh the blueprint for refined metal is only like 250k

Gues I need to figure out where to put my first (non HQ) station then