Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This will have all of the same features as Star Citizen and still come out before it! :v: I was massively into X3, and of course let down by X: Rebirth, that game was pure trash. X4 is looking great though and I am excited for it to come out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

Aaand we have a gameplay information video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6s9sXjqCME

Those of you looking for more dynamism in factions might be getting something like what you asked for.

Also looks like they've gone back to the multiple plotlines just being around in the world.

This looks incredible.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Pylons posted:

Boy I hope my computer can run this.

This is my concern as well. The game is super beautiful looking and the X series has always been hardware pushing to the extreme.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah really, it'd be a real disappointment coming from X3 but, like, it's far from a bad game on its own merits.

This is crazy talk.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It was completely broken and a gigantic step backwards from X3 in every single way. All of the depth and complexity was removed in favor of making Rebirth a shallow game with no interesting content or goals to set for yourself. It was just a soulless empty universe where you could only fly one ugly ship.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I just really want to be a space hauler, carrying cargo around the galaxy in a huge cargo ship.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Space trucking in E:D was kinda boring because there was just nothing else to look at past a spinning cube station or whatever. The backdrops are interesting but only so interesting after a while.

The sheer traffic in X3 made space trucking more fun.

This is why I like X better than E:D, plus I just couldn't wrap my head around the learning curve in E:D. I felt like that game was too intense with its flight model. Plus X4 will hopefully have the same cheat menu as X3, that made the game so much fun to play.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My hope for being able to walk around stations and our space ships, is that these locations will actually be interesting and have things to do beyond just trading. I want to find cool places to look at and explore.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mr. Crow posted:

Reminder X:2, X:3 and X: Rebirth were all train wrecks at launch to one degree or another.

Don't hype yourself up that it's going to be bug free as AP or something that has had years to be patched.

X:2 and X:3 were fundamentally good games though, they just had a lot of bugs. X: Rebirth at it's core is a terrible game that isn't fun and that can't be fixed without making what is basically releasing this Friday.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Does X4 have an auto dock?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Judging by the performance issues Cohh is getting, I have a feeling my GTX 1060 6GB will not be able to handle this game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Leal posted:

I want to play the space game and sell space weed and space fuel.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Really hope the cheat menu from X3 comes back. I loved that for messing around and more quickly setting up massive trade empires.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am on board with everyone else who wants to be space capitalists. The X series for me has always been about trading and selling illegal poo poo.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

beer_war posted:

It also looks woefully underexplained and quite a bit janky. Which I guess is par for the course for an X game, but I'll hold off until more people figure out what works and what doesn't.

Janky is a gameplay feature for an X game. :colbert:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Figured out how to dock, I consider that an overwhelming success. :D Don't have time to keep playing for now. Stations are huge frame rate killers, but actually being out in space is totally fine.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Danith posted:

So how are you guys starting out? Just flying around and doing things? I did a couple tutorials and now just sorta lost as I don't see any missions around and I only have 10k credits, a crappy ship and nothing else

I am hoping someone writes a proper starting out tutorial. Pylons call out on using the Long Range Scanner is great advice, i'll be doing that.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mongolian Queef posted:

I just boarded a ship heading for who knows where. I was trying to steal an NPC ship as it landed on the pad next to me. I ran into it but the pilot never left his seat so I didn't really have anything to do in there.
Then the door closed and he undocked, headed to another system with me on board. I can only use my space suit (leave his ship in the middle of nowhere), if I press Shift-D I'm just back into the same NPC ship, not my own ship in the other system.

That'll teach you to be a stow away.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

I'm making quite a lot of money as an independent repair contractor :v:

How do you go about doing this?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I figured out now how to hire a crew member and make them the pilot. The next thing I want to do is be able to tell the pilot to auto trade, I can't figure how to do this though, does anyone know?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

Select ship, right click sector, hit auto trade.

Thank you! The next thing I am confused about is SETA mode. Do I have to be piloting the ship to use it? Shift+4 is the default key and when I press that nothing happens.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Pylons posted:

Huh. I wonder what the difference between this and auto trading under default behavior is?

Auto trade under default behavior is grayed out which is weird.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I noticed Steam Workshop in the menu but it doesn't appear to actually be enabled yet. I am looking forward to that coming.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Something I am hoping we can have soon is the option to have the entire galaxy map already uncovered.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I struggled for 3 hours and feel like I learned a lot, but not enough either. Going to wait for some guides and mods to pop up that help streamline X4 and make it easier to play. This game has a super steep learning curve, maybe more so then X3 even.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

So has anyone figured out how the console works and if you can enable no clip because i'm trapped in a space suit inside a station.

Repaired the thing that spawned in there though!

Wondering about how to access the console and what the commands are if such a thing exist.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I got on a ship that wasn't mine by mistake. :saddowns:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yikes to the extreme.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I wish X4 were easier to play, I can't wrap my brain around the mechanics and UI. :( I had no problems with X3.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

GODDAMN FOOL posted:

Hm yes surely this will fix all problems with auto-trade

It is a start! I experienced this and it was super frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Okay so I have not played X4 since 2018, but decided to buy all of the DLC because its on sale right now for a good discount. Going to give X4 a try again now that its been updated a lot and still receiving support. More than can be said for Elite Dangerous, and I really want to try a new space sim. I still see a lot of people recommend X4 to this day too, so it must be doing something right still.