Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack
I wonder if the aliens or economy will be more alive in any way this time. The factory/empire building aspect is pretty great but needs streamlining, combat could use an auto-transport into nearby friendly vessel on ship destruction or some kind of overhaul. Otherwise I think the universe just needs some fleshing out, add more unique flair to it.

I would like to see a gamemode with an actually persistant universe where everything actually needs to come from something, a universe that you can permanently screw up but can overtake and screw you too if you fumble your relations or actions. I really liked Litcubes mod that added 2 expanding forces, one corporate with all the tools you have at your disposal and one kill all humans robots with super ships slowly swallowing the galaxy for the player to be scared of and to compete with. It was fairly close to what I wanted, except instead of 1 competing corp it is like 10 and factions could have meaningful engagements rather than spawning capital ships from nothing to replace old ones.

Honestly I would be content with yet another moderate improvment of everything X3 was if it comes down to it.

Never played Rebirth, did it have any significant redeeming qualities?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack
Sounds like what is needed is a good mashing together of old and new mechanics then, the feel of most sectors in X3 was that they all felt really barren and lifeless, no matter how many space stations there were, complexes hubs were ugly but felt like they should be the standard, with a smattering of independant factories here or there or on the outskirts.

You can't go a page in steam without tripping over 10 new/old/early access Empire building and Star Citizen type games, like goddamn Avorion straight up has the same motto as the X series (which I always thought a bit weak), and yet this is the only one I am looking seriously at and with some actual hope.

As long as they get the base mechanics a bit more in line with X3 while dragging along cities in space feeling I think modding can then do the rest.

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack
I will give this a single full day before I cave and buy it too, I barely ever buy games over 20 bux and yet if by this time tomorrow no serious and clearly unfixable issues turn up I will not be able to resist.

Combined with the recent 0.9 Starsector update, this is feeling like a good time for the Space games

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack
I just bought X4 and the DLC during the sale, having skipped Rebirth entirely, and being a big veteran of X2 and X3/TC/Argon Prelude.

So far my experiences and muscle memory from previous games has not helped me as much as I hoped in getting started so I need some help and advice. Did the Joe whoever Foundation start, doing some Hatikvah thing and got a message about Boron, Word, Gates, etc that I am working on. Looked at some beginner/tips vids that mentioned I should also get PHQ quests going.

What is gonna confuse me if I try to treat and play this as X3? It seems a far bigger change in feel and aspect compared to the jump from X2 to X3. There is crew on stations with varying skills that I imagine I will want eventually. I can have captains/pilots for my ships but I can seemingly remote control everything as well. Inventory and Cargo is gonna confuse me until I get used to what counts as what. My inventory seemingly being infinite is making me want to go hoover up everything in sight into my Bag of Holding.

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack
Very good, the economy actually existing is gonna be real neat compared to X3.

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack
Right then, my traders have an issue where they try to sell/buy goods at a place, specifically the plot HAT Argon Trading station, the instant they dock, the wares get billed and immediately refunded. This even screws up when I personally go to trade in the station but can be resolved by buying multiple wares at the same time, otherwise it insta fails with the "waiting for trade to finish" popping up for a microsecond before dissapearing. It is clogging up my stations/traders transaction logs with Purchase/Refunds every minute as they undock, redock to trade, undock, etc. and clearly it is causing a mass failure of trades in the area. First it was my Headquarters trading for research resources and I thought it was a fluke bug for that, but now it is happening with my Scrap refiinery traders also in Heretics End trying to sell Clay and Hull to that place. So the issue is both when buying and selling resources over there.

Any idea of the cause or if this happened to others? Is this liable to happen to other stations or should I just blacklist the entire sector?

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack

Here are the mods and the transaction view

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack
I am approaching massed Rays as well, but when I took my still moderate sized group for a joy ride near Argon/Xenon space some Argon got pissed at our stray shots, they starting shooting my guys, and soon there was a shooting war while I was just trying to focus down a few Xenon straggler K ships. While the Apologize for attack mod works, it seems both my ships and the Argon ships turrets don't quite go fully neutral, and I have to really yell at my ships to stop screwing around. This is mostly an annoyance if it wasn't for the Argon radioing in that all my Factories in Argon space are now to be destroyed immediately. That was a sad but quick reload. Best seems to order my ships around Out of Sector, and teleport in when they are not quite as prone to friendly fire incidents.

And the Rays seem a bit awkward indeed with wanting to use their super beam, the one thing they are really there for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack
I have no understanding at all how some plot lady I hung around with in one of the earlier X games and seemed alright ended up ULTRA TERRORIST MASS MURDERER but it certainly feels like something that would turn an already xenophobic people into genocidal revenge people against anyone and everyone else whether involved or not.

My current game is going pretty good now, Xenon gobbled up the "north" part of the galaxy but are contained from going beyond Heretics End through my and Argon efforts and never got far in any other area. The Boron have done actually and entirely nothing but sit in their little corner. Certainly a nice place to make a 100% safe trade empire in that cheaps out on ship shielding and safety, but a bit sad really, I want to invite them for when I do my sorties into Xenon space, maybe encourage them to take a sector for themselves there.