Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

Let's Play "Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters"

Size Matters came, it did its thing, and then it went. It was a PSP exclusive Ratchet & Clank title. There was fanfare and hype, critics loved it, but it disappeared into the aether after the release of Tools of Destruction, and it was never heard from again. At least, not until Sony released a superior PS2 port. With better controls, higher texture quality, and less frustration, the PS2 version... received very poor reviews.

Apparently Size Matters wasn't so impressive on the big screen. Were critics really that enamored by the novelty of a handheld Ratchet & Clank title? Are they just dumb? Is the game pretty okay? Come with me as we play the PS2 remaster and find out.

Videos

1. Fun-Sized Squirt Gun

2. Clank It Up A Notch

3. Who is Mungo?

4. Clank It Down A Notch

5. I Feel Funny

6. Standard Check-Up

7. Ah, murder

8. The Oddball

9. Intro-Inspection

10. Final Fart

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jan 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
This game was always an enigma to me, a PS2 port of a PSP Ratchet and Clank game that was not made by Insomniac. If I recall I had a PS3 at the time and I never saw it on store shelves.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Tombot posted:

This game was always an enigma to me, a PS2 port of a PSP Ratchet and Clank game that was not made by Insomniac. If I recall I had a PS3 at the time and I never saw it on store shelves.

I don't remember seeing it on shelves either, but I remember seeing the PSP version everywhere.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

This game was...fine. Completely forgettable, but fine.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

SSNeoman posted:

This game was...fine. Completely forgettable, but fine.

That seems like a fair way to describe it

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

It's stuck in a weird no man's land for me because it feels veeeeeeeeeeeeeeery much like R&C1 but it comes after Deadlocked so it feels like a complete downgrade. Not awful, R&C at its core is always fun, but it doesn't accomplish as much as it could have. The camera and controls are honestly a big part of that (I beat this on the PSP).

I will say they do have the puzzle design of R&C down since the dev philosophy of those puzzles is "lots of switches that can only be pushed in one direction" so I have to give the SM that one.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

SSNeoman posted:

It's stuck in a weird no man's land for me because it feels veeeeeeeeeeeeeeery much like R&C1 but it comes after Deadlocked so it feels like a complete downgrade. Not awful, R&C at its core is always fun, but it doesn't accomplish as much as it could have. The camera and controls are honestly a big part of that (I beat this on the PSP).

I will say they do have the puzzle design of R&C down since the dev philosophy of those puzzles is "lots of switches that can only be pushed in one direction" so I have to give the SM that one.

I agree it feels a lot like R&C1 in almost every way, except that it's written way worse and the puzzles are a bit more creative

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
iirc it does a couple very interesting things with design right toward the end. Count me in for the ride.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Discendo Vox posted:

iirc it does a couple very interesting things with design right toward the end. Count me in for the ride.

I'm curious what you're referring to, but maybe you just find the same things interesting as me, as odd as that would be.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

2. Clank It Up A Notch

Get it?

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
This is already reminding me of the future trilogy, making this sorta ahead of its time.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Tombot posted:

This is already reminding me of the future trilogy, making this sorta ahead of its time.

By a few months, at least.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:

GamesAreSupernice posted:

I don't remember seeing it on shelves either, but I remember seeing the PSP version everywhere.

I remember finding a copy at a Shopko, and wondering what the hell it was. I had a fully backward compatible PS3 at the time, but never bought the game.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

AltaBrown posted:

I remember finding a copy at a Shopko, and wondering what the hell it was. I had a fully backward compatible PS3 at the time, but never bought the game.

Is your backwards compatible PS3 still working? Those break often

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:

Is your backwards compatible PS3 still working? Those break often

It was up until I traded it in 2+ years ago. I'm pretty sure the 60 gig hd was in need of replacement, though.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

3. Who is Mungo?

i say the words "rad" and "cool" a lot

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
I love Size Matters.

Got all the armor pieces. All of them, yes.

If the game had been released once trophies were a thing I'd have the Plat.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Weeble posted:

I love Size Matters.

Got all the armor pieces. All of them, yes.

If the game had been released once trophies were a thing I'd have the Plat.

i can understand loving this game, absolutely, and even enjoying it enough to 100% it

that being said, did you like the minigames?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

these camera angles give me flashbacks. bad ones.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

SSNeoman posted:

these camera angles give me flashbacks. bad ones.

i'm used to playing really old 3d platformers, so it doesn't bother me as much

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Where did that surfer dude get a pair of grind boots? I thought Ratchet owned the only ones there is.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Tombot posted:

Where did that surfer dude get a pair of grind boots? I thought Ratchet owned the only ones there is.

It would make more sense if Ratchet just had the Grind-Boots from the start.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

4. Clank It Down A Notch

Get it?

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I kinda missed giant clank, I know he was always a departure from normal gameplay but it was a neat role reversal we don't usually see in buddy platformers.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Tombot posted:

I kinda missed giant clank, I know he was always a departure from normal gameplay but it was a neat role reversal we don't usually see in buddy platformers.

I like giant clank, I just wish the game would've done more with the design

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

5. I Feel Funny

now things get weird and/or funner

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I remember that skill point is a huge dick move- you get one shot at it because the bossfight doesn't respawn.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Discendo Vox posted:

I remember that skill point is a huge dick move- you get one shot at it because the bossfight doesn't respawn.

Not even when you re-enter the level?

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
That level was pretty good, but I wonder what it has to do with everything else thats going on? Then again you did mention earlier that this game seems to be a series of levels with little very plot stringing it along.

Tombot fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Oct 23, 2018

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Tombot posted:

That level was pretty good, but I wonder what it has to everything else thats going on? Then again you did mention earlier that this game seems to be a series of levels with little very plot stringing it along.

wait until we get to the country farm level

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Not even when you re-enter the level?

I don't believe so, I think you have to do a new game plus.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

6. Standard Check-Up

you should play Haven

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Can we ever go back to these levels? This one sorta exploded. Also: why are all these levels so dark? Its like they mostly take place either at night or in dimly lit buildings.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Tombot posted:

Can we ever go back to these levels? This one sorta exploded. Also: why are all these levels so dark? Its like they mostly take place either at night or in dimly lit buildings.

the next one is brighter, idk why some of the levels are obsessively dark

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

7. Ah, murder

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Bare in mind that Rachet's arguably defining flaw is that he can be scarily single-minded at times. This was most apparent in the first game when he only cared about finding Qwark and kicking his rear end, a not completely unjustified concern given the situation, while Drek was wrecking poo poo but even in the Future he showed this in wanting to find the Dimensionator and reunite with his people in Tools of Destruction that he didn't realize the danger the Dimensionator itself posed until it was already too late.

Likewise in Crack in Time he was so concerned with finding Clank that he not only didn't realize the importance of the Great Clock until he saw its power firsthand but he also didn't realize that he was allied with a dangerous man.

And it's not even a trait unique to Ratchet as the thing that made Azimuth dangerous is that he has the same flaw as Ratchet, being so obsessed with fixing his greatest mistake that he didn't realize that he could destroy all of existence by using the Great Clock as a time machine.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Dec 20, 2018

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

8. The Oddball

maybe High Impact Games should've just made an original IP sometime

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I'd say this is the kind of innovation the Ratchet and clank series really benefits from. Also, we missed a locked door or somthing earlier, did that have a platinum bolt or similar inside?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Tombot posted:

I'd say this is the kind of innovation the Ratchet and clank series really benefits from. Also, we missed a locked door or somthing earlier, did that have a platinum bolt or similar inside?

The door leads to a small area with a single flower platform and not much else. I think I intended to show it, but my brain somehow decided directly looking at it wasn't enough of a reminder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

9. Intro-Inspection

Time for the penultimate level, and it's really drat cool.