Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

quote:

In the city-state Risvaletta, while people go about their tranquil everyday lives, crimes and illegal drugs run rampant. Above all, a dangerous, highly-fatal drug named "Anthem" is casting a dark shadow on the streets. The "Seven-O" special criminal investigation unit whose speciality is to supervise the investigation of Anthem, institutes a "Double Decker System" policy of forming groups of two investigators, and all members are given nicknames.

One team consists of the veteran investigator Doug Billingham accompanied by the rookie Kirill Vrubel. This unconventional duo combines an aloof veteran detective who is hard to get a read on, and an inexperienced detective who is a little too eager.

Double Decker is the latest anime by the team that brought you Tiger & Bunny, set in the same universe as part of a new overall T&B project. Instead of a superhero story, this'll be more of a buddy cop kinda thing, but it's probably gonna be just as gay. Doug is voiced by Benedict Cumberbatch's dub voice, for cryin' out loud. They knew what they were doing.

Doug "Veteran" Billingham (Satoshi Mikami)
The most experienced member of Seven-O. Doug is a skilled professional in the field, but also displays a laid back, deadpan demeanor. He insists on exclusively using .38 caliber handguns because he considers them detective's weapons and is equipped with a complex gadget that can create Anthem-neutralizing bullets.

Kirill "Okappa" Vrubel (Kohei Amasaki)
Doug Billingham's new rookie partner, a former police constable with dreams of becoming a hero. Kirill is impulsive and somewhat dense, contrasting with his partner's cooler personality.

Double Decker comes out Sundays on Crunchyroll and Funimation. The first episode is already up as a preview!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6rT_NOeG_E

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Sep 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Definitely one of the highlights of this upcoming season, here's hoping it winds up being a hit like Tiger and Bunny!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Kirill is a loving dork. He's also my son and no harm shall come to him.

E: Show is good

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Sep 30, 2018

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
wanna see these boys bicker/flirt for two cours

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

wanna see these boys bicker/flirt for two cours

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Now, I know it's not the entire T&B team that's back, there are some new folks, but whoever's returning has still got it and whoever's new absolutely fuckin' gets it. This first episode didn't miss a beat from Tiger & Bunny. Despite the different subject matter, the feel is absolutely still there, and 8 years later, it's become very comfy.

I also like that the news story was being presented by Apollon. By the way, am I the only one who figured Sam Purcell for a reference to Steve Purcell's Sam and Max? Feels like the kinda reference this team would make.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Sep 30, 2018

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

when are they gonna make these kinds of anime with women instead of men tho

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

There's Boxer+Robot and Pink+Rookie in this show as well.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Pollyanna posted:

I know it's not exactly the same and might not be whacchu you looking for / you may have already seen it, but have you watched Bodacious! Space Pirates? Most of the main cast is female and it has that similar vibe.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Bodacious Space Pirates was great and I'm having a surprisingly tough time thinking of anything else like it.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Sep 30, 2018

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm...tentatively curious, though that title makes a bit nervous. I'll check it out, though.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Second episode is up on crunchyroll now.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Pollyanna posted:

I'm...tentatively curious, though that title makes a bit nervous. I'll check it out, though.
The original title was like "Fierce Space Pirates!" or something like that. Kinda similar to something like 「熱血」 ("Nekketsu" or Hot-Blooded). Trust me, though, it's an absolute grand-slam of a series.

chumbler posted:

Second episode is up on crunchyroll now.
drat! Watching it right now.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I was completely expecting them to just reair the first episode.

E: I'm very much into the overblown comic book style presentation with the narrator

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Sep 30, 2018

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I feel the thread might need a title change to reflect how incredibly stupid Kirill is.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

DOUBLE DECKER! Doug & Kirill: That's Right! He's Also An Idiot!

E: Holy poo poo this ED

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Sep 30, 2018

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

That ruled and the ED is amazing.

Doug is out to fight that class war.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

ok this was fantastic and if things keep going like EP1 its going to be a great show through and through

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
He's an idiot, but goddamn is he a lovable idiot. Also that ED was the bee's knees.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Don't tease me like this show. Give me more blond punk and albino.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

the fight between the two dudes calling each other idiots is basically where this show is going and I wouldn't have it any other way

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The car has Good Luck Mode.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
This shows a friggin double decker, as in an big poo

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

It's a pun. Decker is pronounced "Deka" in Japanese, and Deka is a slang term for a detective.

Sindai posted:

Don't tease me like this show. Give me more blond punk and albino.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
So I must ask...

Waffleman_ posted:

DOUBLE DECKER! Doug & Kirill: That's Right! He's Also An Idiot!

E: Holy poo poo this ED
... is that your final answer?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Anybody else got any suggestions?

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Pollyanna posted:

why are you trying to ruin this for me

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

One thing I like is that between Tiger and Bunny and this, this team is usually good at giving their characters believably western names.

And then you get Kirill Vrubel.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

One thing I like is that between Tiger and Bunny and this, this team is usually good at giving their characters believably western names.

And then you get Kirill Vrubel.

Its russian actually, or russian like at least

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Waffleman_ posted:

Anybody else got any suggestions?
It can be changed easy-peasy. For now...

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also I like that even though it's the classic buddy cop dynamic of hotheaded rookie and cool, wise veteran, it still feels a bit fresh in this context because it's an inverse of the dynamic Barnaby and Kotetsu had.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
finally got my internet running enough to watch both episodes and i love it so much

also you can't actually understand how stupid Kirill is by just hearing about it, you have to experience it
he is so earnest and so, so dumb :allears:

e:
I just can't stop thinking about what a good boy he is; I mean, he's got the design and tragic backstory to be an angsty pretty-boy type but instead he's a goofball who wants to be a hero. How great is that :3:

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Oct 1, 2018

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Everything Burrito posted:

also you can't actually understand how stupid Kirill is by just hearing about it, you have to experience it
he is so earnest and so, so dumb :allears:

e:
I just can't stop thinking about what a good boy he is; I mean, he's got the design and tragic backstory to be an angsty pretty-boy type but instead he's a goofball who wants to be a hero. How great is that :3:

I love Kirill so much. Also his amazing outfit.
"Hmm, what shall I wear to my first day on my new job as a detective? I think high-heeled boots, a skirt, and a cropped leather jacket, all in shades of mauve. Yes, that seems right." :gay:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I hope Boss keeps giving him different hairstyles as codenames.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Great intro and new VAs are always fun to watch. Hopefully they will keep up with the fast-paced story.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I like how Doug isn’t just this brooding, tormented loner - he’s chill, friendly, supportive, and kind of a space-case. Like, sure, he’s undoubtedly got some baggage, but it doesn’t define him in the ways you’d expect.

Also interesting that they just casually included a gay couple as minor characters in Episode 2. I’m just way more used to these sorts of shows coyly dancing around the idea that gay people might exist in their setting and might actually get into relationships with each other so they don’t scare off the straights while they pile on the subtext. But no, they just made the comedy arguing couple in a one-off scene two dudes. I mean, T&B had Nathan, but it still feels slightly unusual.

junopsis
Dec 28, 2008
Kirill's like
if you took JJ from Fake, and Dilandau, and made a single, transcendentally hilarious person....

I love this

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Every scene with these two feels like it's gonna end with them declaring their love for one another it's rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

an actual dog posted:

Every scene with these two feels like it's gonna end with them declaring their love for one another it's rad.

You mean with Kiril declaring his love for Doug and Doug declaring his love for Eighties bubblegum pop, right?