Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
The subs for this are fantastic and really help nail the comic delivery in this show. Also,

Doug: I want to rid the world of poverty and class.
Kirill: Sounds badass.

I'm glad for our communist protagonists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Waffleman_ posted:

Also I like that even though it's the classic buddy cop dynamic of hotheaded rookie and cool, wise veteran, it still feels a bit fresh in this context because it's an inverse of the dynamic Barnaby and Kotetsu had.

It's straightfaced boke and idiot tsukkomi.

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Oct 2, 2018

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Strange Quark posted:

It's straightfaced boke and idiot tsukkomi.

It's also nice how they just immediately like each other.
Kirill thinks Doug is so cool :allears: and Doug picked Kirill out as a partner and is totally supportive of him getting up to speed in his new job. It's just so pleasant.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Darth Walrus posted:

You mean with Kiril declaring his love for Doug and Doug declaring his love for Eighties bubblegum pop, right?

lol the opposite actually

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
the girl introduced in the stinger of episode 1 is the most Masakazu Katsura character design possible

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

This show rules, but I gotta be honest here, Kirill should have gotten that perm.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Throwing the boke/tsukkomi dynamic into the buddy cop police procedural is brilliant.

The clothing design in this show is absurd and wonderful.

Hot take: I already like this show more than Tiger&Bunny. It is an Improvement.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

AnacondaHL posted:

No Sky High, though.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

chumbler posted:

No Sky High, though.
We have the dub voice of George Clooney playing a very silly boss, so I think that balances it out.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

AnacondaHL posted:

Mmm.
I am more immediately charmed by this than I was by T&B, but whether or not the show as a whole will live up to it remains to be seen. I think one of the things that made T&B so great was the overall emotional arc of Wild Tiger becoming a more serious hero and getting closer to the other heroes and Barnaby -- the sequence where there's an imposter Tiger, and the denouement where they have the showdown and finally break Barnaby's brainwashing is so good I get chills just remembering it. I dunno if D&K will manage anything to match that.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

chumbler posted:

No Sky High, though.

OTOH, story centered on a designer drug that's a Tide Pod you smash on your neck

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
So, this is supposed to be in the same universe as Tiger & Bunny, right? Is it before or after super powers became a thing? Because, if it's before, I'm pretty sure the Tide pods are just activating latent superpowers that people already have

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

thetoughestbean posted:

So, this is supposed to be in the same universe as Tiger & Bunny, right? Is it before or after super powers became a thing? Because, if it's before, I'm pretty sure the Tide pods are just activating latent superpowers that people already have

Pretty sure in the opening exposition of episode 1 they mentioned superpowers and heroes being a thing, but just not in the city where this show takes place.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's confusing because they can only act when there is evidence of tide pod use, but that includes super powers as if tide pods are the only source of super powers. nexts are born, not made, and there was never any indication that they were restricted to sternbild. i suspect d&k will simply never mention nexts, since their existence would mess up the show's entire premise and medication bullets wouldn't do anything against them.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
There's no superheroes because cops are the real heroes.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I'm pretty sure there's no connection in the actual story with t&b yet

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I'm pretty sure this is a prequel. Agnes is just an anchor instead of a producer and has a different name (marriage?), and I think she looks younger.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Caphi posted:

I'm pretty sure this is a prequel. Agnes is just an anchor instead of a producer and has a different name (marriage?), and I think she looks younger.

it can't be that much of a prequel unless that is agnes' mother. mr. legend was active several decades before hero tv existed.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
it's probably just a wink wink reference

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yeah, i'm aware that i'm overthinking this.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

"Do you know what the word undercover means?"

I'm pretty sure he does not.

E: Good episode. I love my dumb cop child.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Oct 7, 2018

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Waffleman_ posted:

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
This show's already way more gay than Tiger & Bunny was 3 episodes in, it's pretty great

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So I’m assuming Doug’s old partner just moved to another department, huh?

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Darth Walrus posted:

So I’m assuming Doug’s old partner just moved to another department, huh?

Don't you see him serving food in a bar in the OP?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Show continues to rule extremely hard.

In other news, if anybody here is skilled at making gifs, I do believe you've been showered with quite the gif(t) right here...

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I love how no one says anything or complains about Kirill playing with guns around the office like they're toys.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I swear there were a couple of shots early on where Kirill's body was CGI while his head was 2D, I guess because they didn't want to hand-animate that complicated pattern on his coat. I don't think I've seen that technique before.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Waffleman_ posted:

"Do you know what the word undercover means?"

I'm pretty sure he does not.

I enjoy that this case was essentially resolved by Doug going "Pretty bougie book ya got there."

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sindai posted:

I swear there were a couple of shots early on where Kirill's body was CGI while his head was 2D, I guess because they didn't want to hand-animate that complicated pattern on his coat. I don't think I've seen that technique before.

Land of the Lustrous did something similar to that in order to give its characters livelier expressions.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Starsnostars posted:

I love how no one says anything or complains about Kirill playing with guns around the office like they're toys.

They know not to give him bullets.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Oh Snapple! posted:

I enjoy that this case was essentially resolved by Doug going "Pretty bougie book ya got there."

Yeah I appreciated that it was stated that than book could buy a lot of socks; solid rebuke on the selfishness of the situation, although it did slightly bother me that the union was rebuilding the factory without the clarification as to whether their demands were met.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

our dumb as bricks cop boy is so genre savvy that it swings back and bites him in the rear end with every assumption he makes.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

How is it possible for one boy to be so dumb?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

chumbler posted:

How is it possible for one boy to be so dumb?

I don’t think you should be that hard on yourself, chumbler.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Mighty Dicktron posted:

This show's already way more gay than Tiger & Bunny was 3 episodes in, it's pretty great

I know! :allears:
Like, the bit where he's looking at relationship advice books and his landlady is all "If you want to win someone's heart, these donuts are pretty good!" and the thought of going "No, no, it's not like that!" clearly doesn't even enter his mind.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I support Dr Bieber's love for Derrick

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I love Kirill's comic book imagination.

"I don't know what I'm going to do, but it's going to be amazing."

I also love the narrator who gives him poo poo for it.

"Even in his imagination he has no imagination."

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

What in the hell is this ending song? It's the greatest and i love it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

God loving dammit, this show.

E: This was originally posted halfway through the cold open and is only being repeated more and more.

This show is exceedingly good.

Yes! Doug is actually kind of an rear end in a top hat!

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Oct 14, 2018